Why use vim when atom exists? Atom editor and plugins are faster because v8

Why use vim when atom exists? Atom editor and plugins are faster because v8.

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/ed.html
github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/editor-perf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I use it in a terminal? (no window mode)

Why use when GNU Emacs exists?

>interpreted languages are faster than compiled language

Lol

why use atom when VSCode exists?

because then you'd be using Emacs

>he doesn't use ed
?

Well, that's kinda the point.

h

Vimscript is interpreted and never faster than v8.

Vim is written in C

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little proprietry bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the FSF, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Apple patents, and I have over 300 confirmed bug fixes. I am trained in Free Software Evangelizing and I'm the top code contributer for the entire GNU HURD. You are nothing to me but just another compile time error. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am building a GUI using GTK+ and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decompile you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my Model M. Not only am I extensively trained in EMACS, but I have access to the entire arsenal of LISP functions and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit Freedom all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking debugged, kiddo.

Vimscript is interpreted.

wow is this some sort of ebic new pasta off reddit?

>It's C so it's fast

ed - The only true god text editor.

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/ed.html

vscode > sublime > vim > atom > emacs > everything else

>mfw when trying to sleep but someone is using a proprietary editor next to me

org-mode is the only reason I started using emacs. IMO, it's not worthwhile to learn emacs if you're not going to be using org-mode.

Why use anything more than nano

>nano

i use it when i code on bash on ubuntu on windows. glad that i learned it

for actual programming i just use gedit mostly

Why? it just works

It's lightweight ,it can search for text, it can cut, it can go to a line, it can colour shit

I don't see why i'd need more

It's fine for basic sysadmin stuff. I find it a bit limited for programming after using emacs a long time.

Atom is not fast by any means

>emacs

I have used emacs before, i liked it

But i still had no reason to use all that extra stuff

Atom:
>Easier to configure the settings, look, keybindings using the settings menu
>Easier to download & install plugins
>Easier to configure plugins
>It's possible to get a complete Atom setup for any language in under 15-30 minutes.

Vim:
>Spend day(s) reading docs about vimrc to know how to create a good vimrc
>Spend hours each time reading docs on how to configure plugins
>Spend days/weeks learning keybinds and commands in vim

This TBHFAM

Although I would say vscode = sublime = vim. They're all good, they're just different.

I learned it just for org-mode, long before I was doing any programming. I couldn't find anything else that works how I need.

Why use anything other than acme?

>Spend day(s) reading docs about vimrc to know how to create a good vimrc
Only if you have an extra chromosome

> Spend hours each time reading docs on how to configure plugins
Only if you suffer from fetal alcohol syndrome

> Spend days/weeks learning keybinds and commands in vim
Only if you were lobotomized

Acme is for miserable lonely libertarians.

nano is basically crippled emacs

emacs has the most games.

>t. someone who has never run vim

>t. brainlet
I use iTerm 2+tmux+vim, literally the best setup ever

>t. a lobotomized person with fetal alcohol syndrome suffering from a chromosomal surplus

I was about to agree with you but
>iTerm2

Why are you unironically using a mac

>right click on folder
>open in atom
>wait 15 minutes
Mate I use Atom with vim mode, I know how bad of an editor Atom is.

Why do Windows codemonkeys get assblasted that people use Vim?

I use Sublime on Ubuntu
rate my life based on those facts

Because it just werks. I got it for free from uni and my only other choice was some shitty dell latitude.

Sounds boring.

Literally nothing wrong with it if you get work done

dumb mactoddler

Hol up do people not use pen and paper for writing code? I then scan it and have an algorithm convert it to text.

shit covered rajeesh

Joke's on you, both are slow garbage.

well I see that u cuys no alot about coding what is the best place to learn and really get better.

By doing. Also google.

> Atom editor and plugins are faster because v8.
github.com/jhallen/joes-sandbox/tree/master/editor-perf
sure faster, buddy.

I don't really get the "atom is so slow!!" meme. My memebook pro 2015 with 8gigs of ram and a skylake i7 opens any documents in like 2 secs.
Well, I should mention I use it for html and web development in general, not for any real programming languages besides js maybe.
Never noticed any slowdowns or delays or crashes in my 3 month usage.

You ever have to ssh into a machine? vi/vim comes in handy then.

>vim - system hangs
im am laffing now, vimcucks

because a web browser isn't a text editor, silly

good one

yeah this always kinda turned me off of Atom.

>not for any real programming languages besides js
>real programming language
>js
>programming language
>js
>real

Vim is perfectly fine one you get used to it.

why use them when Acme exists!
that's actually true nowadays. atom is badly written though

>13% cpu use for blinking a cursor

Why would I use a text editor over an IDE for programming?

Yeah, I expected someone to bash js when writing it out. While it sucks, some interactive shit in web development can only be done with javascript these days.
Meme it however you like, but it does its job, even if inefficient and slow.

a) slower and leaner
Eclipse takes like 5 seconds to start up, and there's a shitton of stuff that takes 0.5-1 second to complete after you trigger it. Sublime text is smooth as balls, unless you're trying to search for something in like 10k files at the same time.

b) for meme languages
Unfortunately JS is becoming insanely popular, but due to its "anything goes" nature it's almost impossible to build static analysis tools for it. So an IDE basically has zero advantage over a text editor for things like that.

c) for customisability
You can make Vim behave like Eclipse, but you can also make it behave like Sublime, or you can have your own nutjob config. Or you can incorporate stuff from each of those, e.g. Sublime's keyboard shortcut scheme together with Eclipse's general Java code tools.

You can't, however, make Eclipse or Netbeans work like VScode or vim, because they were designed a certain way, and while there may be plugins, a large amount of functionality is still set in stone.

THIS is how you edit text.

i'm literally shaking right now

Fucking plugin name PLZ

I can edit files through SSH using vim without any delay. Can atom do that?

just as I said

Nice edit, if that is your work

>used to nano because it's easy to use
>forced to use vi because embedded linux
>slowly grow to like vi more than nano

It usually goes like this:

First you start with some IDE/editor like Gedit, Notepad++, Dreamweaver, Visual Studio. It wont take a while until you realize you have cancer.

Then when proficient you move for a while to Nano, mg, maybe Sublime text or Atom.

If you are retarded you keep with Sublime text or Atom, if you want to be a cool kid you move to vim or Emacs.

Current setup is Emacs for work/desktop, my .emacs has around 15k lines of elisp, I am even friends with some of the mantainers of GNU Emacs. mg for ssh editing or places where I can't use my Emacs.

If you prefer vim over Emacs, you can still use evil-mode inside it.