/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-pro-for-students/
gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
shopjimmy.com/westinghouse-seiki-bl-op416001a-power-supply-unit.htm#
wiki.gnome.org/Newcomers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the difference between a fast format and a normal one?

Fast just erases the directory of files, full format erases the files themselves too.

I just answered this earlier today. Read your replies. Fast format does not overwrite old data with blank values. It just deletes the file allocation table and creates a new one.

Both options wipe the MFT, but full does a check for bad sectors too.

I see, thanks.

What is a good resource to learn R and statistical packages for R quickly? Trying to take a quick crash course. Udemy? Khan academy?

This is for the OO savvy guys
I have an abstract class to process some stuff that implements the logic of the various ways of receiving stuff to process (e.g reading, receiving a vector etc).
Different subclasses implement just the virtual method to process the stuff
The thing is, I want to parallelize this to make it quicker. What should I do? I thought of another class, a subclass of the abstract one but no matter what I can't keep it DRY.

>but that's false

What exactly do you want to parallelize / make quicker?

If I get a MSI motherboard that says it's 6th/7th gen compatible should I be able to load it up far enough to be able to update the bios using a 7th gen i5?

I'm sorry for such a consumer whore question but what are the better ruotors in the market today? I'm looking for a decent Au $100 with at least a GiB Ethernet port.

Should I turn my Raspberry Pi2B into a Bitcoin Core node? An i2p node? Or both (or is that too much)?

I'm building my first PC and I've got all the parts and shit coming in.

I haven't bought an OS yet, and I was wondering where I might get one for a decent enough price.
Ideally, I'd want Windows 8, but everywhere I look it's like $120, and I'm not paying that much for it.

Is there anywhere that sells the keys cheaper than that?
Piracy isn't out of the question, but I figured pirated os's raised red flags or didn't work.

I've got a laptop with Windows 8 on it as well, can I just transfer the serial number or something?
I honestly don't know how this shit goes.

[spoiler]I'm only really interested in Windows 8, so please refrain from suggesting other OS's[/spoiler]

What does my computer mean by this?

Bitcoin mining is a meme. You pay for fake money with your energy bill.

consolefag problems

I did a clean install of Windows 8.1, and it's been checking for updates for about two hours. Is this to be expected?

New 6700K + Maximus VIII Hero started bootlooping, where should I look for the cause?

bullshit the mouse is horrendous in fallout 3

Are you a university student?if so you can get it for free or very cheap depending on your uni.

Also reddit sells some genuine keys for $20

Is there any difference between apt get install wine winetricks and apt get install winetricks?

Dude what?

Yeah I am a university student.

I'm a GD/3d major and I'm building the pc because my laptop just can't keep up anymore. Graphic related shit is intensive.

My university isn't very big though, so I don't know if they have anything to get it for free.
Where would I look for something like that?

>Also reddit sells some genuine keys for $20
Can you point me where?

Sorry for asking to be spoonfed, I just want this to go right. I'm pretty excited about the pc desu. I've been saving up for a while.

The windows 7, and 8.1 updates servers just fail to connect sometimes while updating. Reminder to un check the temelery updates

That 9GB is either sued by the IGPU or you fucked up with windows install somehow and you cant use the other 9GB.

Wine is a dependency for winetricks, which is basically a bunch of scripts to ease installation of gayms and shit, so no.

most of it ends up being a for loop through an array calling the subclass function for processing the data and storing the result in various ways
this part is what I feel is a classic concurrency problem but I'm not sure where to implement it

one does wine and winetricks one just does winetraick

That's what I thought, but I was told to run with "wine winetricks".....after installing wine. On that note, how's wine2.0? I heard it was still buggy so 1.8 is preferred

Fast erases the data that tells your computer that there's a file in a certain location

Other also actually erases the file

IS 50-60 degrees a bit too spicy for a GPU for extended periods of time, say 2-3 hours?

It's a GTX1070

Not him, which one are they and can they be uninstalled if I missed any,or do I need to clean install again?

onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-8-pro-for-students/

I got win 8 for free : )

No it's fine for 24/7 for years

/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

Yes, on w8 and w7 first check is ridiculously slow. You can speed it up by using wsusofline once before searching for updates.

If an online application has a required field that's just labeled "Overview", what should I put in it?

>which ones are they
gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
>can they be uninstalled
yes

Why is USB flash drive speed affected by amount of ram and how do I speed it up in Windows?
I have decent USB 3.0 drive with some portable applications that I use on two almost exactly same machines, but one has 8GB ram while another has only 4GB.
On 4GB machine everything is extremely slow, starting or exiting firefox takes 1 minute, starting gimp takes 3 minutes, turn-based ascii games like doomrl or cataclysm take 20 seconds to process each key input.
On 8GB machine everything works almost as fast as if it was installed on hdd.
I have tried swapping the ram around and confirmed that only amount of memory matters.
I have tried changing device performance and cache settings to no effect.
It does not affect USB HDDs, only flash drives.
It happens on any Windows version from vanilla 7 to up to date 10.
It does not happen in Linux, but I am forced to use Windows at work.
What the fuck is wrong with Windows?

Are you sure the 3.0/3.1 drive is plugged into the 3.0 USB port? It's blue. Also, some 3.0 USB ports aren't on by default, you have to activate them manually to get those lightning fast speeds.

My fermis have been running for 7 years idling at 70C
You're fine,anything above 80c and youll start to have problems

No 'format' command does that, it simply wipes the file table. You're thinking of a wipe tool like shred which does what you described.

If forced to use javascript, what's the best way to keep websites fast/responsive/non bloated?
Share some designs

I'm guessing overview of your personal projects and experience? Idk I haven't seen that in my searches.

Usually it's cover letter, resume and sometimes personal projects. So that's my best guess.

Use umatrix to only allow the javascript you want instead of running everything

Wut how could JavaScript slow down your site unless you have some retarded fucking jQuery plugins.

Stay away from large clunky jQuery plugins

I installed a 32-bit Fedora 25 w/ KDE Plasma on a very shitty laptop and I have to say, Fedora seems fucking stupid. Why the fuck would you have two package managers (yum and dnf) which don't even keep track of what the other manager has installed?

On a machine with 8GB ram flash drive works fast in either 2.0 or 3.0 ports.
On a machine with 4GB ram USB 2.0 HDD works fast but flash drive is slow.
By fast I mean 4-7 seconds to load Firefox, 30 seconds for gimp, instantaneous key press reaction in those games.
CrystalDiskMark shows adequate transfer speeds in all configurations so I guess it's something about IO sync and file caching oddly specific to usb flash drives.
Maybe I should try some of those applications that override OS disk caching tomorrow, but I did not want to use pirated software on a corporate machine.

Should I use in-game AA settings or override the AA with nvidia's control panel?

Is it MSAA or SSAA?
If I'm not a macro autist about it, will I notice a difference? MSAA is apparently more demanding.

Do it per game, it is likely to fuck up using nvidias override

How to VPN? Any free good ones? Any good ones?

>Free
Defeats the purpose of using one
Check torrentfreak for vpns
Be warned the top page is sponsors so take it with a grain of salt

Use in game instead

But here's a really neat trick

Enable MFAA multisample AA gloablly

It reall werks and doubles you MSAA results in applications

So if you enable 2xMSAA in say GTA 5, you'll get 4x results for free

My housemate was looking to get a new pc. I suggested ryzen as I'd heard a lot of good things about it, but then when I googled cpu benchmark comparisons to bring up a list, I couldn't even find ryzen in the top 50 or so cpus. What gives?

Multi-frame AA

I have 4 powerline adapters, and one is acting up. I've tried a hard reset and uploading the setings from one of the ones that are still working and this shit still shows up.

Is it FUBAR,or is there something else I can do?

Is there any way I can extract the firmware from my router to keep as backup?

the company that made it went bankrupt, and the site where it was sored disapeared without a trace.

can someone recommend a project idea for developing an Android Application, which should use at least one type of OS-related functionality. An OS-related functionality is something related to the Android OS or some type of system call. For example, you can develop a process manager to monitor the processes in the system. I cant think of anything. Help a dumbass out faggot.

I'm too flustered and tired to try making my self-build actually start up, I need to just call a tech support and get them to send someone to figure out all the cords and where they're supposed to go and how to get the Windows 7 disk to run. I'm about ready to take a hammer to the thing, I have legit anger issues, I can't do this shite anymore my handshurt from punching the wall.

The question I need to ask is, who do I call for an okay deal? I know a lot of these places are ripoffs,but relatively speaking which is the least rippy-offyist because I. Can't fucking do this anymore i'm fucking upset dude laugh if you want but I just fuck this shit shouldn't be this hard

It isn't.

Someone has a Mediafire link or can upload a legit copy?
Lost mine after years and don't trust all these hoax sites out there.

huge faggot here that lurks twitter for news without an account. The button for showing graphic content is gone, used to be you could click on that and see it. Been like this for a few weeks on all pages.

Am I being extorted to making a shitty egg account and actually log in?

>removeWAT
Is this 2009? use daz loader. replacing the activation with an authenticated certificate is WAY better than removing the WAT.

Whats the best place to buy parts to repair TV's? I found a power supply replacement for my TV that's buzzing but i've never heard of this site before.

shopjimmy.com/westinghouse-seiki-bl-op416001a-power-supply-unit.htm#

last time daz killed my ability to boot into Win and Linux.
Nope.

Well then im jist stupid or something huh cant get a goddamn hard drive deplacemmt with and ssd
Oh its judy list legos
Justlike legos
Fuck you legos doesn't refuse to be a goddamn house acteryou followed the directions but you didn't suck its house balls

Is the ryzen meme worth it?

not if you're upgrading from skylake or kabylake, unless you either have a lot of disposable income or have another use for the intel build like HTPC. maybe you want to encode/render video a couple minutes faster?

Does the processing of an element relate to other elements? If not, you can treat the array as a work queue and have the threads do each independently. You'll only need a single lock for the "pop" so it should be fairly efficient. If they are related, can you rearrange the problem/data structures so they can be? If not, well there are some problems that are basically impossible to parallelize efficiently.

Many format commands do that, but usually not by default. It's an option you need to enable.. What dedicated wipe tools specialize in is doing advanced wipes like multiple passes, alternating passes of all 1's and 0's, random data, etc.

Not from the GUI. You may be able could crack the case, solder some pins to the JTAG and read the firmware over serial. Honestly if this was within your abilities you probably wouldn't be asking about it here. You're more likely to brick your device than get the firmware.

>hmm I have this CPU I won't be using anymore. Should I sell it for some nice money?
>nah, I'll just destroy it and post pics for the lolz and be e-famous for a couple days

AMDrones are truly retarded.

To be fair, stupid people can't do Lego either.

Yup

Why don't they make CPU cores a lot bigger?

>TV repair
Is this the 1960's?

Combination of the speed of light and voltage leaks. Gigahertz timing is in nanoseconds and an electrical pulse doesn't travel that far in a nanosecond. If you make them bigger, you'd have to slow the clock so things don't get out of sync. Also the longer the the charge has to go, the more electricity leaks and the more resistance there is in the paths which reduces efficiency and increase heat output.

make your own

Is that why high-end CPUs have been stagnated at 4-5GHz? Are they not capable enough to reach more just yet?

>implying he didn't take a dead CPU and claim it was perfectly functional for quick risk free internets
>implying he didn't stick swap lids on a i5-6400 and a celeron for lulz before doing this
think user. think.

Don't know what the market in Australia is like but in the US, $100 is hit and miss for routers.

We need materials that can have working transistors at lower voltages

The reason you need to increase voltages when overclocking is because 0s start otherwise being confused with 1s

Is there a decent password manager out there that won't auto upload all my shit to the company's cloud which will inevitably become compromised at some point?

So what's gonna happen to CPUs once the lithography caps? We're at like 10nm now, right?

How do I stop myself from being cucked like this? I have Adaway and am rooted, but I dunno how to get around this bullshit.

I'm setting up Windows 10 for casual use and because the computer came with it. Later I'm going to install debian, but I need help with this.

I downloaded mpv as the Sup Forums wiki suggests it for video on Windows. How do I make it the default for video files? I found the default programs thing in windows and can change it to installed programs, but all I can find for mpv is a 7z with the program in it. Because of this Windows does not recognize it as an app. Is there a way I can install it or make Windows recognize that I have it or do I have to install something else so I don't have to open mpv before the video every time.

7nm is where the cap seemingly is with current technologies

There's some ideas about 5nm but nothing working has been done at least yet

Then there's some materials that can support working transistors at way lower voltages, the meme one is the graphene alloy one, apparently migh allow like 100-1000GHz, don't know if that's for whole CPUs

you can usually just disable it in the source

>erroneously blocked by ad-blocking software
lel

I don't understand this shit.

I use Cox Cable. Most of the time everything works fine, but some times, every few months, my upload speeds drop to 0, time after time after time.

I have no fucking idea what's causing it. I've had at least 4 of Cox's "technicians" (which are almost always dumb as bricks black guys who have no fucking idea what they're going) come out and fix nothing time after time after time. Last time I got a guy sent out, 2 days ago, the internet miraculously decided to work perfectly fine for the duration he was over at our house, and yet again it's fucking up once more, said they were getting a guy to run a tap on the line or something in 48 hours but it's past that and the problems are back again.

My question is, what the fuck could be causing this type of thing to happen? Most of the time only my upload speed seems to be effected. I'm relatively certain it's not my modem or my router, as I've had the modem replaced multiple times thinking it was the cause to no avail.

I'm also having extremely high packet loss as well. I can't even take speedtests right now because they literally won't finish, the upload speed is so low that it just sits around 0-0.1 and never ends.

Cox is basically of no help here. Every "technician" they send out is a retard and just bumbles around until they decide to leave without getting shit done. The only other thing I can think of is that the house has a large amount of splitters and whatnot, but my signal is supposedly good, or at least the last tech said that it was fine.

This shit is infuriating. Can't even upload an image to Sup Forums

The problem is that I can't just whitelist an app, it gives me something like this with an entry field

The transistors are part of it, but the speed of light is the main reason. Electricity travels about 9in/23cm in a wire in a nanosecond. At 5Ghz the clock is ticking every 0.2 nanoseconds, so the signal can only travel 1.8in/4.5cm per tick. That means every signal in the processor has to get from where it's start to where ever it's going in that distance. It sounds easy until you consider that the paths aren't straight from A to B, because the CPUs are densely packed and it will likely have to twist and turn all around the CPU to get there. This is why you start have stability issues at when you crank the overclock. Signals don't arrive in time, the CPU does weird things, and the computer crashes.

Are there projects that a programming newbie can contribute to?

Your own, maybe a friend if someone is at about the same level as you, but mostly your own.

Latency.

The point is to make them smaller and more efficient.

Not at 5GHz, hence why you can OC a world record 8GHz with liquid helium and stupid voltages

>wiki.gnome.org/Newcomers/
my teacher used this for the Software Engineering class

Here's another example just ran three tests in a fucking row, look at this shit. Shit upload and slower download one minute, the next everything's fine and working as intended, the next shit upload and download again. This makes no sense.