>Autists install arch instead to feel "1337"
>nVidia still hasn't ported CUDA over
This is why we can't have nice things.

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/712308/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>best audio system
Linux has had HD audio since 1999.

Too bad pulseaudio is a fucking aberration.

>freeBSD
>not openBSD
wew

I thought OpenBSD was the one without backdoors
BSD in general needs more support
Give plenty of software for creative people and professionals and people will switch

why is that fish so fucking smug? is openBSD easier to install than freeBSD???? or less obscure? what is the deal????????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!

userbase=demand, retard
no idea what you're even trying to communicate in the second sentence

wrong

>also why install a system like BSD and worry about graphic card support? stop sounding like normie...
nVidia graphics work fine, CUDA doesn't, which makes no fucking sense since FreeBSD would be the best platform for parallel computation.

>is openBSD easier to install than freeBSD????
They're about the same but it's impossible to dual boot openBSD at this point in time (correct me if I'm wrong)

Okay. Why should I switch to FreeBSD (or any BSD) instead of using Linux? I'm curious. If you may, convince me with genuine reasons.

It's not just the best BSD, it's the best OS. It's the only one that's autistically audited to keep out the CIAniggers. and to keep out bloat and gay homo design like systemd

try
pidof systemd && echo "systemd" || echo "other"

and you'll learn exactly why the fish is so smug

I've never tried myself, but partitioning with different OS is definitely covered in the install menu.

Install is literally 3 or 4 inputs that you can just do automated response - partition, networking, root/user/domain. The only way it could be easier is if it had a GUI with big buttons.

everything you say is an assumption you faggot.
go back to Sup Forums you commie

i know nvidia works fine. as for open vs free and the dual boot issue, i somewhat get it; but since i continue to fail on my install on freebsd due to lack of knowledge...

i'll have to get back at you...

my only issue was with the freeBSD mirrors. could not update shit except portsnap. made me feel like an idiot. wont stop on my x220 until i get nice bsd install with a gui.

Good question

1. Consistent and unified interface. BSD is designed to work together from the ground up, not a patch work of collaborating projects as in Linux.
2. Actual documentation written by engineers and not autists. It respects your time as a professional. You're expected to read and then understand what's written, not go off to read forum posts instead.
3. Stable interface, most of what you learn this decade will apply the next decade. Keeping up to date won't take over your life.
4. Single OS compilation/installation/upgrade. When you compile FreeBSD, you compile the kernel as well as the utilities and basic shell. In one go. The /usr/src/ structure is very well documented and its easy to patch against.
5. Community isn't run by autists, though getting into it does take a bit of hanging out on IRC (pro-tip: EFnet folks are older and wiser than freenode faggots).
6. As long as you don't have an AMD graphics card, everything will work on your desktop system.
7. As long as you pick a popular laptop or a common Lenovo, everything will generally work (though some issues still exist with ACP sadly, they really need to port over some NetBSD/OpenBSD code).
8. ZFS file system makes taking snapshots easy, reconfigure your OS or even run HEAD and you're one command away from restoring your system.
9. FreeBSD is fast and slim
a) Other than some retarded synthetic benchmarks, most of the time FreeBSD will be faster than Linux.
b) FreeBSD is not bloated and will run on very little RAM, unlike Linux.
c) FreeBSD will run fast on an old machine, much faster than Linux.
d) In fact, FreeBSD is so much faster than Linux that you can run Steam inside WINE (through a Linux emulation interface) and play videogames FASTER than doing the same thing in Linux.
10. Once we convince nVidia to support it, we will have pass-through and CUDA, making Linux finally redundant.

And one important point (to me):

11. Sane init system, based on BSD init.

Except the CIAniggers have software running in your EFI which senses you're running OpenBSD and flags you as a target.

You obviously have something to hide if you run OpenBSD.

If you're going to install FreeBSD over openBSD just because FreeBSD is willing to integrate closed source code (and NDAs) in order support pozzed hardware like nvidia GPUs, you might as well just fuck off and run windows. Or ubuntu.

Exactly.

To be honest, apart from documentation all of those reasons seem like non-factors to me. I think I'd rather stay with Linux since it has better online support (i.e. more people use it).

It's refreshing to see a BSD user actually give reasons, though. Most of the people I see around here seem to just use it because they hate GNU.

>If you use any security, you're less secure than one!
Except openBSD is run often enough on servers and routers to make using it not of any note. Also, security is in layers - running out naked so you look like you don't have anything to hide is fucking stupid, they'll be snooping on you anyway if they had any reason too like every other tech illiterate bad goy.

Reminder that FreeBSD is infected with at least one SJW core team member. Look up Benno Rice.

If the SJWism spreads, FreeBSD will follow Mozilla in circling the drain.

Thanks for the feedback. You gave some good reasons. I'll be thinking about this and probably install it in a VM first to get my feet wet.

stop being a newfag and assuming things. i'm doing a bsd install because gahnoo slash linoox is insufferable and is broken. no more of that shit. i'd rather be a retard for a few weeks and learn something different then go through that shit again. nigga i am 27 and have been probably dealing with this shit since you were sucking your moms tit. you want to project but i am the projection king.

And that's why you should boycott FreeBSD in favor of OpenBSD.

13 ip. meh

>And that's why you should boycott FreeBSD in favor of OpenBSD.
No, it's a good reason to isolate Benno Rice.

If FreeBSD falls to SJWism, I will seriously throw my machine out the window and never use a computer again. If FBSD falls, OpenBSD will follow anyway.

Benno Rice is in the middle.

Note the receding chin, indicative of a effeminate subhuman.

And you do that by boycotting FreeBSD.
He can't be in the core team without the support of the others.

A quick search on his name doesn't turn up any controversies of him pushing SJW crap.

lwn.net/Articles/712308/

>After Dillon left, things calmed down for a while — until Gamergate ("a burning trash pile made of other burning trash piles") came along. One of the figures in Gamergate was Randi Harper, a former FreeBSD developer. She did a lot of much-appreciated work on the installer, then got a job at Amazon and, as often happens with Amazon employees, she stopped doing community work, though she still hung around on the mailing lists and such.

>Things got worse when a FreeBSD developer joined the Gamergate side and started attacking Harper on Twitter; she attacked back. Things moved to a private FreeBSD IRC channel, which witnessed some heated discussions; the attacker then leaked a log of the conversation to Breitbart. That was a violation of the project's policies, so, at that point, the core team had no choice but to get involved.

>Harper wanted three things from the core team: an official code of conduct for the project, a statement that the team was investigating this behavior and would not tolerate harassment, and for that person to be quietly removed from the project. The core team responded that the code of conduct was already in progress and that sanctioning the other developer was hard due to the fact that the bulk of the activity happened outside of the project's communication channels. Policing your own area is relatively easy; it's harder when things happen on sites like Twitter or Reddit. In any case, that became a moot point when the developer resigned.

>The FreeBSD project does now have a code of conduct; it is, Rice said, a "patched-up rush job". Project members still honestly thought that "meritocracy" meant "inclusiveness" initially. They have since learned otherwise, and the code is being reworked. Meanwhile, Harper wrote a blog post about how badly the whole thing was handled; there were some valid criticisms in there, Rice said, with some things to learn from.

NEVER ENOUGH FOR SOCJUS

>FreeBSD will follow Mozilla in circling the drain.
So finally they will make money with their snowflakeOS?

My desktop in high school ran FreeBSD with FluxBox as my WM. FreeBSD is pretty dope, but because it's such a niche OS it doesn't get the same support that Linux does. Over the 12 years or so that I've been familiar with Linux, it's been really amazing how much mainstream support Linux has received in terms of both hardware and software support. Comparatively, FreeBSD hasn't gotten half as much support over that time.

>And you do that by boycotting FreeBSD.
Then also boycott Linux as it uses systemd.

O P E N B S D
P
E
N
B
S
D

there really are only 5 options left to not be a raging homosuck cuckaboo:
>Gentoo
>Linux from scratch
>openBSD
>Slackware
>templeOS

Mint gets an honorary mention because the creator is anti semitic

>Project members still honestly thought that "meritocracy" meant "inclusiveness" initially.

Silly them. Obviously a meritocracy isn't inclusive for incompetent people.

Obviously. Linux has been a dead end since the systemd shills took over Debian.

>pidof systemd && echo "systemd" || echo "other"
Your hacking skills are ayymazing.
Since they tend to break userspace, i won't touch that shit again. It's still full of legacy code, and totally fucked up the mitigation of openssl. Autismo security my ass!

>creator is anti semitic
Still accepts shekels from them.

Nice death cult. Join ISIS and spread tech memes among them too.

>Nice death cult
Oh poor little trigglette, straight to strawmen when systemd is called out.

>trigglette
Still the subhumans like you gave harry pottering death threats, because:
>muh unix way
Scum.

>Someone sent a faggot death threats
>That means no one can ever oppose him again
>You're all that one guy I don't like

neck yourself fatso

>That means no one can ever oppose him
>slippery slope, the post

Of course everything is b&w in a world of a desperate faggot like you.

Slackware uses PulseAudio.