Router Thread

show me what you've got and attempt to justify it

Other urls found in this thread:

cse.msu.edu/pie/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i've got the one that came in the parcel from when i first started using my internet service provider, because i don't have brain disease that means i'd care about what make or model of internet router i'm using

> I just use the first technology someone gives I don't care at all

Go back to facebook.

are you joking? Do you even know how fast it is?

Why are you on a technology board?

Probably a weak bait or maybe he doesn't even know how to set up a router.

that's not facebook. that's just someone who doesn't derive pleasure from buying electronics they don't need. if you ARE that, you're far worse than a facebook normie.

when the only thing you have in abundance is free time, the one thing left to do after howling at people online for liking the wrong brand of RAM is to find an echo chamber where everyone tries to break open their Breville BRGM2314 23l Grill microwaves to do sick mods on the non-user-serviceable parts inside, then become a moderator of that echo chamber and call everyone who heats food inside a Sharp Solo R272SLM Compact microwave cuckolds

an off brand east european router provided by isp used by a handful of normie slavs is safer than anything u can buy desu

I have this core 2 duo computer. It runs pfsense.

Justify? I have no idea.

> Goes on a technology board
> "Hurr durr I'm not stoopid, I don't care what technology I use, idiots"

mfw my wifes son uses a Russel Hobbs RH3455 (include me in the screencap and make sure you credit me)

rpi3 with pi-hole. It's fucking great. Fuck ads and wasting bandwidth on that shit.

>tfw [HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCE] is botnet garbage trash for normie idiots, i use [ALTERNATE-BRAND HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCE] because i'm big and strong and clever and have a gigantic penis. i've had sex and you're dumber than me
it's fun and good to use abstract technology concepts as props to achieve fleeting moments of superiority over people by calling them names

>using a router
what a pleb

not weeb enough

respek

what are clusters even used for
If you're gonna get 8 raspi nodes, why not save money and get an old computer?

What's the point of clustering rPis?

dust magnets

Really now.
If you have no need or interest in technology, why are you on this board?

Clustering for cheap.
It might not be as powerful as a modern single core but it functions similarly to a bigger cluster and draws less power.
Some find such technology entertaining to study or play with, so they discuss and build such things on various technology boards.

The Nekopara one is Sysadmin's, by the way.

Nothing special here, stock ISP router. Still looking for a cheap lvl3 switch.

also planning on getting a odroid ux4 and running pfsense on it to see how it handles it, or maybe i'll just get a j1900 board and a picopsu for some headroom..

Pfsense?

i dont have to justify myself to you nerds

>Using google dns
cuck

atom D510 w/4GB running pfsense

I really need to get that back running again, I even bought a bigger display for it

actually, think I do that this weekend.

running my fiber modem through a 10gbit thunderbolt ethernet switch into my mac mini server which does double duty as VPN/firewall

also, why the fuck is the newest apple tv still 10/100 not even gigabit, fuck

I currently use am M200 as my UTM gateway device. I'm going to be upgrading it to an M670 once it's released. I have the hardware now but since it hasn't been released yet the software isn't completely stable yet. Before someone asks, yes, I work for WatchGuard. However I will not shill them as there are open source alternatives that do a very good job.

>cheap
>layer 3
>switch

Pick two

Is Pi-hole just a nice interface in front of already existing home DNS stuff like tinydns? Is there something special about it?

No joke my university now has a "pie cluster" that student use for turning in assignments. It runs auto graders and sends grades to students.

cse.msu.edu/pie/index.html

Wondering why the hell they wasted money on this

How do you even go about clustering rpis

Haha, using Google DNS. What the fuck is wrong with you.

I was going to say that is a little overkill. Watchguard reseller here.

I have a Fortigate on my edge. Fight me in real life.

It definitely is, a T70 would work just fine for my purposes but when you get free devices, why skimp out. This box is far from stock though, I've upgraded the RAM to 8Gb which has helped the device.

The M670 is going to be a beast though and it will be serious overkill.

Seriously? Even if you didnt know what it was why not search it?

get the fuck off Sup Forums

dnsmasq (default) with a bunch of blocklists that route to 127.x and other shit.. and dnscrypt is really easy setup on pihole
it basically just does a few minutes of work for you or a few hours if you have no idea what to do and don't do it frequently

all in all it's worth it though because you can run pihole on a remote machine and dnscrypt your shit then have your own dns server and none can see the crap you look at

An AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin

Why? It manages 100MB/s torrent downloads and has been stable for 6+ months at a time without a restart or me touching it at all. It's also Linux based so I was able to set up some ebtables and iptables rules to do some custom shit. Does everything I want basically.

>no UTM
>does everything
kek

I read good reviews

I don't really feel the need for anything more than a firewall which blocks random incoming shit at home. Haven't ever had any security issues either.

AC68U bros !

A firewall is better than nothing, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's good enough.

How am I kidding myself? I haven't had any security issues at home for 13-14 years I think. I'm either extremely lucky or whatever it is I'm doing actually works.

>10gbit thunderbolt ethernet
Pricy stuff.

How would you know without any IPS? Post your WAN IP if you're so confident.

kys

Which DNS should I use? Currently using Google's

I guess I could have some sort of malware installed somewhere that is completely invisible to me as a user, I can't rule that out but pretty much nobody can, no matter how fancy your gateway security is. All I can say is that none of my systems have shown any signs of infection and no periodic scans over the years have ever found anything. I haven't ever gotten a notice from my ISP about shady shit happening from my IP either.

>Post your WAN IP if you're so confident.
That's stupid, why would I volunteer myself for an attack? To prove something to some anonymous dude on Sup Forums? That would be a completely retarded thing to do, I didn't avoid security issues up to now by acting like a retard and I'm not about to start.

HEY THAT'S MY IP!

Was gonna give you a free vulnerability scan. :^)

>all these normies calling wireless gateways routers

I appreciate the generosity user, but I'm going to pass.

>I guess I could have some sort of malware installed somewhere that is completely invisible to me as a user, I can't rule that out but pretty much nobody can, no matter how fancy your gateway security is.

Do you know how I can tell you don't work in this field?

opennicproject.org

>expired certificate
Ummm

>click link
>certificate error

>opennicproject.org
no valid https

kys

this
fucking disgusting rofl

>access point
>modem
>router
>switch

all = router

normies/10

for linux?

A U T I S M

its all about power. dont forget rpis run off a fucking phone charger. uses fuck all power. A cluster of 8 will draw way less than a disgusting old pc.

if you say get a nuc because its new and has good power draw, youre onto something, but then the costs start being comparable for the physical

Current setup: Checkpoint 1000N
Previous: layer2 hypervisor with ESXi and Sophos UTM as Gateway and shit

Need to buy a new router soon. What do you recommend ?

Get a UTM device.

Is Fortinet the best utm?

Fortinet guy here. I'd say it's the best bang for your buck. All the major companies my SOC manages uses them.

nobody i know likes it here in Israel, its like a thing to hate it almost

The majority of the fags I have to work with that use Cisco can't even manage to build a VPN tunnel properly.

Extremely simple on same devices, like Fortigate/Checkpoint via UI

True but even simpler on CLI

Show me a typical Site2Site with encryption and all, where/how would they differ in the config?

config vpn ipsec phase1-interface
edit "4chinsExample"
set interface "wan1"
set peertype any
set proposal aes256-sha256
set dpd disable
set dhgrp 5
set nattraversal disable
set remote-gw 1.2.3.4
set psksecret ENC RPnYbM3INnXW6XivviycU3TpSoD045QLIKDjC++s9gZpAv/AHATFPM+9ODsMFyevREgKviWaWyOMWCSYo9/TmgW4Y7JVrc6ma0pSUaGvQL6Br17FHG5ene1n3EGbAWzhf/s4j8R1TLLaex7PJhu7rVnK5jHIDVryUJFh0sF6o0IZDbtEbYEeHN7M8vvz/fdCeCzRPQ==
next
end
config vpn ipsec phase2-interface
edit "4chinsExample"
set phase1name "4chinsExample"
set proposal aes128-sha1
set dhgrp 5
set src-subnet 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
set dst-subnet 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0
next
end

Then all you need is the policy itself. I made this in like 20 seconds.

kawaii !!

>What is the point of clustering rPis?
Multiple choice, 1 point, please choose best answer:
a) Proof of concept
b) Like climbing a mountain, because it is there.
c) Future-proofing
d) To make cute anime girl nodes

>Like climbing a mountain, because it is there.
This is kinda the reason i like using them

there is literally nothing future proofing about a pi

nothing

mate are you still in this thread?

can you comment on the quality and speed of your network speeds having it pass through a rpi?

because most home modems have the wan ip set to be invisible and disallow reverse traffic flow. he doesnt sound like the sort to be running a web server or something, so why do you think youd get in via his wan?

>berates co workers for not being able to set up vpn tunneling
>posts ipsec script
nigga u dumb

I wish I had enough disposable income and time to do stuff like that.
Anything special you're doing with all that?

its just dns

fuck im not sure i understand. so you stand up your network in the following order?

>modem
>pi hole
>router

Is that how its used?

WAN not LAN obvious bait/10

its just dns, google it

It's not a script you fucking dipshit

that is just a switch right?

i have a USG

An APU2 running OpenBSD. Took like 5 minutes to set up and it basically manages itself. When I do need to change firewall settings it's so nice to just SSH in with a key instead of getting up and looking on the bottom for the crappy web GUI's password.

pfsense is god tier

zzzzzz that was fucking stupid

yeah ok cool i got it.

well that was very fucking simple to install, ill try removing ublock now and see how well it works

Running LEDE 17.01 as Router+Firewall+NAS+VPN Client+adblock and could use USB modem as backup link

Good man

Update your box

>there is literally nothing future proofing about a pi

Scratch c) then.
You know you want to answer d)
do it.
doooo eeeet

Some piece of shit that runs OpenWrt. Too lazy and fat to get up for a pic.

Fucking normie.

Electronics are not food or water. You don't need any of them, therefore your argument is invalid.

What the fuck? Why?

Mostly because people can.

How much do those cost?