How can I get fire tv to play files from my portable HDD? it says it only supports FAT32 which is fucking lame

how can I get fire tv to play files from my portable HDD? it says it only supports FAT32 which is fucking lame

Other urls found in this thread:

pccasegear.com/products/37373/pc-on-a-stick-gen4-win-10-home-4gb-black-intel-inside
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Format to FAT32.

it will delete everything?

I too would like to know

yes

>4gb file size limit on an hd video player

on a 4k player at that.
I was about to say OP. are you sure you didn't misread?

so this thing can't play local media?

I'm not sure user, let me look

>buying proprietary vendor lock-in hardware
wew

the only thing I can format my HDD to is exFAT not FAT32

Mine is jailbroken the whole family streams torrents from it in the living room is there a better alternative for this?

is it possible to root the new models?

why is there no support for NTFS on fire tv, who's fucking dumbass decision was this?

Amazon. They want you to pay for their streaming service, not to watch your own movies.

You'd have to be a retard to buy a media player from a streaming provider.

what should I watch with my own movies with?

It's Linux.
Try to format as ext3/4, or if you need compatibility with Windows try UDF. Yes, UDF is usually for discs, but it works on HDDs fine, too.

I formattet my SD card as ext4 on Android and it works fine. Don't know if FireTV supports it, but it should.

The best solution is a HTPC you set up yourself, probably something x86 compatible, although Android/ARM shit and whatnot could work too, I guess.

Nowadays small fanless x86 PCs aren't hard to get so unless you're on a tight budget I'd go with that.

I like the smell of a woman's ass

>buying """""4k""""" streaming goy boxes to use as an HTPC

Intel stick

Link?

Tried to get a US/amazon link but for some reason this is a huge pain in the ass to find:
pccasegear.com/products/37373/pc-on-a-stick-gen4-win-10-home-4gb-black-intel-inside

hook external up to your PC and use Plex server

Not worth it, IMO. Spend $150 more and get something that will last a bit longer and have a few more ports.
Does it even have an IR receiver?

It lives behind your TV, why would you want it to have IR?

You use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad which takes up the 2.0 port and then you have a USB3.0 port sitting free to plug in a portable hard drive

It's the exact setup i have for my TV downstairs and it's been working perfectly so far, only thing it struggles with is youtube 4K but my internet is shit anyway so i don't care

Thanks but I want something I can plug my portable HDD into

>why would you want it to have IR?

Only if you want a decent HTPC experience and not mess with retarded shit like a PC keyboard or anything Bluetooth which drains battery like a motherfucker and doesn't work half of the time.
IR remotes are just superior.

But if you have a spare USB port you can still add a USB IR receiver like pic related.

nigga that ugly af

If you're that worried about it just use a 2.4/5ghz trackpad by itself and use the on screen keyboard if you need to type things in rather than just double clicking on the .mkv and then the video

>trackpad
>on screen keyboard

Yeah, that doesn't sound retarded at all... you should pitch it to TV manufacturers.

I don't think you understand the use case of this shit:

>Switch to HDMI2
>Grab touchpad
>Move finger
>Double tap on 'MOVIES' shortcut on desktop
>Scroll until i find the movie i want
>Double tap into folder, double tap on .mkv or .mp4
>Double tap on MPC window
And done. Now if you need to pause it, tap once, unpause it tap again.

This is all OP was asking about and using the on screen keyboard is no less retarded than trying to search youtube/netflix with a fucking IR remote, OR you could just do what i do and have pic related sitting next to your remotes and not give a shit, i put charged eneloops in it almost a year ago and it's been working absolutely perfectly about 4m away from the TV in that time.

>>Double tap on 'MOVIES' shortcut on desktop

Stopped reading right there. You really have to look into some HTPC software, m8. You're doing it all wrong.

You ever seen normies try to use anything different?

Stock windows is retard-proof

Set up a streaming media client on your PC and use the fire TV to connect to it, dumbass

It doesn't get more retard-proof that this, man.
If you can operate a remote you can use this shit.
And it has apps like Youtube, Twitch...

NTFS is a MS copyrighted filesystem so nobody supports that shit if they can help it, even linux had to have that shit reverse engineered first to gain support.
EXT should work fine though.

This, I can't believe people are still moving hard drives around their house to watch shit

Install Kodi and make the portable HDD a network drive

>Not using osmc skin

wtf is a fire tv?

I never went past the word kodi
Am I missing something by not using it?

WHY ARE ALL THESE KEYBOARD+TOUCHPAD DEVICES ONLY AVAILABLE WITH THE TOUCHPAD ON THE RIGHT SIDE
I AM FUCKING LEFT HANDED I CANT USE THIS SHIT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE