How bad of an idea would it be to use one of these for a home server?

How bad of an idea would it be to use one of these for a home server?

Pros:
-small
-aluminum
-A E S T H E T I C S
-six hot swappable drives
-can store 8 drives in total
-has the vertical motherboard setup that silverstone is known for
-positive pressure cooling

Cons:
-SFX/SFX-L PSU only
-2.5" drives only
-expensive ($150)
-low profile CPU heat sinks (68mm or less)
-only one fan

My main concern is the cooling because I'd like to have a beefier CPU so I can use the server to run simulation codes/software without bogging down my main PC. Other than that it would function as a NAS. Support for 3.5" drives would have also been nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=550&area=en
dell.com/uk/business/p/poweredge-r330/pd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't think it's good enough for the airflow required to deploy a server.
Could you please tell me the model?

CS01-HS

silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=550&area=en

pls respond

You should probably look into getting a proper pedestal server case if you're planning on doing more than storage.

Why are americans so fucking stupid?

What's wrong with mATX cases?

It just hits too close to Sup Forums web metrosexual territory.

it's a mITX case, actually.

Just a different brand of fag.

There's nothing that quite reeks of homo as non-functional vanity. If you're going to be vain, be vain about something that will bring you tangible benefit in life. Not about your fucking computer case, gun collection, the content of your fucking pockets and everything else you little homos do in hilarious attempts to impress each other. And worst of all, not even fellow homo anons give a flying fuck about your crap. You have to respond to yourself and pretend it was someone taking an interest. You turds are literally the shut-in faggot mice from the behavioral sink experiment.

you sound like a closeted fag, to be frank with you.

Yeah, sure, but you know I'm right.

not really. you tried to tie in three completely different things that have nothing to do with each other, or with sexuality, and call them gay.

it's pretty obvious you're a fag.

mATX is the best you get two PCIe slots and a computer that isn't big enough to have its own gravitational pull

pic related standard ATX build

mATX is still bigger than necessary. do you have two graphic cards, or anything in the second PCIe slot? do you have more than 1 or 2 hard drives?

typical build will have 1 PCIe slot in use, one or two SATA ports, and that's it. mITX is good for that. you lower your footprint, and you can even increase thermal performance if you choose a properly designed case that draws air in and rams in directly against the components that need cooling.

I've had a home server for media about ten years. Because the media keeps growing I've found it easier to have an external drive so that when I need to upgrade I attach an even bigger drive, copy everything over, and then use the old drive for backup.

I'm currently at 12TB RAID (4x4TB). Will upgrade again sometime in the next year or two.

So for the computer I like something small with a decent processor for transcoding. Currently have an 7-year-old Mac mini that's starting to have problems keeping up so looking into a NUC. With this external drive it will be easy to just attach to the new system.

The slightly reduced volume of mITX is not worth giving up two RAM slots for.

>Because somehow your single GPU and SSD + HDD gaymen computer actually ever utilizes anything more than 16gb of RAM.

So I want a home server but I can't find anything I actually really like the spec of, should I just buy a blade instead:

dell.com/uk/business/p/poweredge-r330/pd

I'm aware of how noisy they are, but my experience with the poweredge range is that they're only noisy on boot then they calm down.

How much would the electricity cost to have one of these things running 24/7?

>-expensive ($150)
for 150 you can get 2 x 6 cores xeons with ram and dual power supply.
Cons:
it's loud as fuck, at my mother pulled server becouse she couldn't sleep

Please tell me, why exactly do you need more than two RAM slots? Using two sticks per channel reduces the available bandwidth to each stick, and capacity should be a non-issue as we have 16GB sticks anyways.