What is the point of the command line in 2017?

What is the point of the command line in 2017?

I find it more pleasant to use than GUIs (for most tasks). You may not. Use whatever works for you.

>2001
>200mhz
24MB

Bull Fucking Shit

It's comfy.
I use Ubuntu so I barely need it but it's good to know in case you've got to fix something.

It's efficient for certain tasks.
GUI is efficient for other tasks.
Always use the best tool for the job.

>A GUI could ever get anywhere near the usefulness and robustness of the command line

As soon as you can think of an interface that's more efficient for getting work done. Not sure if a long list of radio buttons, check boxes, sliders, and text input fields, is really going to give all the quick control that cli gives. That interface will have to be designed to start with anyway. If someone has multiple radios and check boxes keyboard navigation is quicker anyway when entering data. Unless it's one setting that needs to be changed.

efficiency

>2034
>still using glasses

shitty future

Makes me look like a hacker while i'm pretending to wait for Morpheus.

Are you retarded? A PowerPC Mac from 1997 had 32 MB of RAM and a 233MHz CPU

So much faster than using a GUI

It's useful when the system your're working with doesn't have a GUI frontend. Servers usually don't have one of those because they usually aren't directly connected to a display and, for the most part, don't need to be. That alone means that command lines will be around basically forever. Because of this use case, there are a lot of very powerful command line utilities that are often more useful than their GUI counterparts and have more options, but are also quite a bit more complicated to use. One of the things I like most about command line is that it's verbose about what it's doing so you can see in real time what's happening, which is useful for identifying anything that might not be working right.

Because it's still faster for man tasks, especially for batch actions.

Editing a config file with the mouse:
> Locate and click on file browser
> Click on root folder
> Click each folder in turn to navigate to the file you wish to open
> Double click on the file to open it in the editor

Editing a config file with the keyboard:
> vim /etc/op/faggotry.conf

input bandwidth with a CLI is faster than with GUI+mouse. CLIs are also better for arbitrary tasks. GUIs are better for narrow, well-defined tasks. Programmers and power users spend time in CLI land because the things they're working on haven't necessarily had the best GUIs designed for the task yet.

GUI is like playing hopscotch, cli is like riding a motorcycle over the hopscotch board. It's really fun to play hopscotch each jump feels like an accomplishment, but being able to ride the motorcycle is an accomplishment in its self.

>Mhz
Mega-hour-ounce?

Yes. Tik-tok

>2017
>still using toilet paper

All this technology and you're still pooping like it's the 20th century

The 1980 one is terrible too. Mhz weren't really used to indicate anything about CPU power since so many dramatically different architectures were in use, and 1MB of RAM was unheard of. A home computer would be great if it had 48 to 64kb. The Mac Plus shipped with 1MB six years later and was considered extravagant.

Then again 150ghz computers in 2034 also seems unlikely since we've had 3 to 4ghz CPUs for the last 15 years, just with improvements in IPC.

One evening, Master Foo and Nubi attended a gathering of programmers who had met to learn from each other. One of the programmers asked Nubi to what school he and his master belonged. Upon being told they were followers of the Great Way of Unix, the programmer grew scornful.

“The command-line tools of Unix are crude and backward,”he scoffed.“Modern, properly designed operating systems do everything through a graphical user interface.”

Master Foo said nothing, but pointed at the moon. A nearby dog began to bark at the master's hand.

“I don't understand you!”said the programmer.

Master Foo remained silent, and pointed at an image of the Buddha. Then he pointed at a window.

“What are you trying to tell me?”asked the programmer.

Master Foo pointed at the programmer's head. Then he pointed at a rock.

“Why can't you make yourself clear?”demanded the programmer.

Master Foo frowned thoughtfully, tapped the programmer twice on the nose, and dropped him in a nearby trashcan.

As the programmer was attempting to extricate himself from the garbage, the dog wandered over and piddled on him.

At that moment, the programmer achieved enlightenment.

More flexibility, and ability to chain commands and whatnot (pipes), nothing wrong with it at all

If you HAVE to use it though, then that's a sign that the operating system is not user friendly

The least realistic part of this is the 150 GHz processor. Frequencies have been steady for several years now, so they probably won't increase by that much any time soon.

This shows a 16× in 16 years, then a 47× increase in another 17 years.

That's a 6.7 ps clock cycle, enough time for light to go 2 mm.

That's the alternative future where AMD went bankrupt and Intel continued with NetBurst.
It has like 6 million pipeline stages, too.

gui has it's place but acting like cli can become 'outdated' shows deep ignorance

i prefer it simply because it's more satisfying to watch a command carry through, kek.

Plus it's nice to see what it's doing. If you catch an error you can see the exact issue and paste it to a help forum if you can't make heads or tails of it.

hah gas your life

my PC in 2001 had a 800MHz Duron and 128MB SDRAM. and it was far from high-end.

>1980
>5MHz / 1 MB
Bullshit. My first machine made in late 80's didn't have anywhere near that much.

Effiency. Automation. Flexibility.

For certain things it's simply faster, easier and simpler than GUI. Retards like you don't use it because it LOOKS hard.

I feel like the author of this is under the impression that the CLI is only useful because it doesn't take as many resources as a GUI and so that advancing computers makes the GUI obsolete
Doesn't surprise me that this is from Commitstrip, their a bunch of shitty French pajeet-teir programmers that try to make that comicstrip more like xkcd everyday

Indeed, the ZX Spectrum's 3.5Mhz Z80 CPU didn't make it a better machine than the C64 with it's 1Mhz 6510.

the person that made that comic was probably born in 1999/2000

>1980
Having 1MB ram
Do you work at NASA?

>2001
Only having 200Mhz 24Mb ram
Did you bough that PC in 1993?

CLI utilities and program are faster to develop than GUI ones. For this reason they will always exist first, and often times will be all that exist in an field that is changing or progressing rapidly. Programs that are capable of running non-interactively can also be run as a batch job or under set conditions (on a crontab). Given the diversity of graphical frameworks, they're often more portable as well.

Essentially, they're more useful in many but not all circumstances.

Just to add to everyone else's highlights
>2017 example is Ubuntu Unity

CLI obsolete*

It's faster, more efficient, and more expressive
For 88% of tasks the command line does it better
Speaking for UNIX-likes, because the Windows command line is a shit

So developers don't have to make a gui.

>What is the point of the command line in 2017?
>point of the command line
So fuck control eh?

CLI is great for scripting and abstracting repetitive tasks that would take you hours to do manually with a GUI.

If you're a sysadmin and your managers are clueless, you can pretty much automate away your job with some scripts and spend all your spare time watching anime.

>the CLI is only useful because it doesn't take as many resources as a GUI

It is a good point to raise. You could use a CLI install on a SBC and have a fantastic little computer if all you want to use it for is the framebuffer. Or even a minimal X install on an old laptop with CLI applications.

It is a valid point to make, just not in the context that the OP's comic is making it.

>Always use the best tool for the job.
Not always available; made do.

suggesting that clicking 20 times, menu, menu, check, type something check is better then:
>one command
And enojoy clicking that in few computers.
And guess what:
>all difrent win system have diffrent menus
where in linux is almost always the same commend

Can you >/dev/null with a gui? Can you string thousands of programs together to automate something complicated even though they were never written for that use case? No, I don't think so. Checkmate fag.

>gets distracted by memes

will you autists just take your meds and simmer down?

Do you even realize where you are?

>he doesn't know how to use the three seashells lmao

>2034
>no keyboard
Is it a voice type terminal? Or google swype? Otherwise it is actually less convenient than GUI.

Quality post here

It's like the pencil and digital writing. Digital writing could be more efficient, beautiful typo, assisted but finally the pencil will always give you all the control. The same happens with the command line and GUI's.

>2034
>150GHz processors
>1 TB RAM
kek

my computer from 1999 had a 3 Hz Processor and 26.75 bit of RAM

Millennials don't even know about things in living memory. What is wrong with them?

I had a home computer in 1980, it was 3.25 MHz (Z80), 1k of RAM and used cassettes. It was probably the most powerful computer for several miles radius. An "interface" was something you plugged peripherals into.

It's efficient and ergonomic for certain tasks

Tell me how you pipe GUI programs together?

Commands line applications are composable. Ie, you can automatically send the output of one to the input of another.

For some use cases, this is a radical time saver vs. GUI applications.

Configuration for command line applications is nearly always easily serializable, so once you have something set up, it is trivial to use it over and over again. Vs. GUI applications which may require multiple steps to run every time you use it, forever.

Command line applications are easily parallelizable. With GUI applications, you have to hope batch processing is built in. With command line applications, because of the first point (composable) you can easily build batch processing on top of them using other tools.

Finally, command line applications are very easy to write, are very portable, and are usable over SSH. All of these make them the go-to choice for small utilities, especially developer-focused utilities.

Ask Plan9 folks.
It involves a plumber I believe.

150ghz?

The fuck ?

"I want to press that button on the screen 30 times"

how would a GUIfags achieve this without a script (the command line)?

i'm waiting....

Plus you can also use tab for autocomplete of the path which makes it even faster.

>If you HAVE to use it though, then that's a sign that the operating system is not user friendly

>have to pipe output from one program to another
>why don't these 2 unrelated programs have a GUI to allow me to do this specific task
>this system isn't user friendly
>benis.jpg

Are you pretending to be retarded?
Normally processors go to 3GHz and by your calculations it also wouldn't be possible.
That's because by your calculations you're implying that electricity travels one meter in each clock.
If we try to make a 150GHz CPU then electricity would need to travel a maximum of 2mm.

>what is I/O

If you don't know the point, then you won't find out by asking Sup Forums.

May I ask who you are quoting?

Looks like it's a projector + touch interface