Are Seagates really that terrible, meming aside?

I've been wondering if Seagates are really that bad since I have a 4TB Seagate and it's been holding up real well for the past couple of months since I bought it. I don't know if the memes are true and I want to be sure, just so I can get another hard drive to replace it. If they are true, what brand should I replace my HDD with?

stop posting girls (boys) pls

I've had a data center running for nine years now. I have 1-2 seagate drives fail every month, they come installed from the OEM. I replace them with HGST drives, and I originally outfitted our Storage Array with HGST Drives. I've only had one HGST fail and that was because the fan cooling it died and the server didn't alert us. There is something wrong with Seagate drives. Sure, their warranty is just as good as HGST, but that warranty won't cover data loss or down time. For my money, I'll never use anything but a Hitachi.

Stop posting yogi.

but i want to pound his boipucci

How is Western Digital since it's the same company as HGST or whatever?

but he's ugly as sin with no makeup/photoshop

how about toshiba drives

>HGST
>WD

you know these HDD's use more power than a seagate drive.
And as far as i know in a Server there is HP, DELL, IBM and others far better than WD.

Seagate has the largest share in HDD's and has more mass I never had one fail on me but i have had lots of WD's die right on warranty with bad sectors and loud clicks before it died.

seagates are bad some models because guess what a large majority are made in thailand near sea level a bad PR move there.

WD factories are in indonessia and china both of which are at inland factories.

Notice that the tread stopped with the 3TB HDD's 3 years ago. yet the meme's still pessist.

also HDD's have moving parts so they do fail with lots of writes too.
data centers need to be on NAS HDD's or SAS SDD's

I had one fail after 3 months, ordered a new one, it was DOA, had to pay the fucking shipping to send it back, replacement came, died a month later.
Don't get cucked by toshiba.

what do you think PR means?

Pull Request?

I have had a 3tb Seagate for 3 years now and it's still running strong. If Seagate really is bad then I guess I got lucky.

More details on the BackBlaze blog

Probably batches. I had lots of WD on a company, OEM from dell. Every year 2-3 need to be replaced, and these drivers were not even doing hard work.

On Seagate, im running 5+ years on RAID 0 without issues.

not every seagate drive fails, just more likely to than other brands

>but he's ugly as sin with no makeup/photoshop
so are women, are you saying i shouldn't want to pound them?

Thank you clarifying the situation up a bit

>BackBlaze
Fuck off retard.

No issues with seagate thesedays. You're working off a 10yr old meme/problem. All drives die sometimes.

>2017
>Not shucking your hard drives

I've got a 500gb seagate I keep my gentoo install on. Had it since '08. Dropped/formated it 1000000x of times, while having it plugged in and needlessly spinning for years, doesn't just still run, runs like its brand new. Maybe the newer gen ones are trash, maybe the tech god game me his blessing, maybe I'm just lucky.

They had a few models that had high failure rates in like the mid 2000s. And by "high" I mean like 0.0001% instead of 0.000000001%. People who wanted to sound smart got wind of this, and repeated the "Seagate drives have a 100x increased failure rate" meme for years afterwards, it's become sort of a shibboleth for "I came of age in the Bush 2 generation and I consider myself a tech enthusiast because I put some cards into slots which makes me a computer scientist".
Nobody on Sup Forums has ever seen a female without makeup, they're still processing that statement 7 hours later. Sup Forums thinks this picture is what a female looks like when she's not wearing makeup

I have had WD drives failing left and right within a year of purchase. But if it doesn't fail in a year, I can expect anither 2 years from them.

My Seagate drives die but if they live for 2 years with no SMART changes, I can expect another 5 years from them.

The only problem for me is if Seagate drives die. They work one second and just die with no response/no possible recovery the next. No alerts, no preempt, just working one day, and dead the next. Always have a redundancy plan +/ backup with Seagate drives.

What's wrong with that? It was at the time when there was very low supply of HDDs so they resorted to buying external ones.

just buy HGST

I want that chilean boi pucci