Hey Sup Forums

hey Sup Forums.

I've been a windows guy since XP sp1 and have stuck with microsoft through thick and thing.... but after using windows 10 for the past year... I've had it.

the amount of shit you have to go through with regedit, group policies, etc. to cut down on it's spying is ridiculous. The OS has all kinds of problems. Right now I'm stuck with the ntoskrnl using up 50% of my CPU. I hate the automatic updates, the constant data stealing/sharing/etc that all goes on without my permission... and keep up on it all, and trying to "optimize" this fucking operating system has me clawing at my own face in frustration.

I'm not a computer "expert" or programmer, but I'm really considering switching to linux. In the old days (yeah I'm a bit old) linux was something only used by the pros and people like me couldn't make heads or tales of it.

I've looked up some info and I'm told that current linux systems are much more user friendly, but I still feel intimidated by making the switch.

"Mint" with "cinnamon" interface was suggested to me as a good way for an old windows guy like me to get started. what is your opinion on this? I've also been reading that running windows based games etc. is no longer too big of a hassle with things like "wine" making it fairly easy and pretty stable.

I plan to run it on an older laptop with an AMD A4-5150 APU radeon HD (one of those intergrated graphics cpu thingys). As I understand it, drivers can be tough to get straightened out, so I'm prepared for some butthurt in that arena.

anyway.... I feel like making the switch would, at the very least, be an entertaining learning experience, but.... being that this is my only pc.... I ask you guys.... should I be intimidated by this thing, or is it not as bad as I think?

>this is NOT asking for personal tech support
>just asking general advice/thoughts/experiences with switching to linux as a long time windows user

Other urls found in this thread:

wine-staging.com/.
community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1428
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Try it out in a virtual machine first. If you have the time I would also check out Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
If you are looking to use wine you probably want to take a look over at wine-staging.com/. (That will let you run like biweekly builds of wine instead of the outdated version that is in your default repositories)

Install Solus, I've never had it not just werk on any pc or laptop I've installed it on.

bump. if I'm in the wrong place to ask about this stuff, just let me know and I'll let it die. really hoping to get some opinions about this though.

*You probably also want to take a look at PlayOnLinux, for the apps it supports it downloads the best version of wine and automatically does any workarounds that it needs.

sorry guys, didn't see your posts when I posted than you, I have heard of kub and xub. would you say they are better for a beginner linux dude than mint?

never heard of solus, will start doing research and check it out, thanks

Honestly, just try it out and see what you like better.

amd has no drivers

>Install Solus
please leave

I did read that there are no driver released by AMD for linux systems, but that they do release their drivers as open source, and there is apparently a decent sized community that keeps pretty well up to date on AMD drivers.

is this bad information?

>AMD A4-5150 APU radeon HD
Mint Cinnamon might be a bit hard for you. Consider Xubuntu instead.

go to the amd website & browse their drivers. pretty easy to see if your hardware is supported on linux or not.

thanks for the tip, but may I ask why? I'm assuming that xunbuntu must be easier to deal with the driver issues than mint, since you quoted my processor.

thanks, will do

DESU I'd rather go with Win7 to avoid all the 10 hassle, really.

>
Mint & Cinnamon is comfy as fuck. If you plan on casually getting deeper into linux, this is a good setup. If you want something that just works, and are satisfied with the usual set of programs, openSUSE is solid too.

For low-end hardware, you can choose to install low-resource desktop environments (Cinnamon is standard DE on Mint) such as Xfce during the installer.

>be a freefag
>have amd chips
>install gahnoo slash linox
>nvidia still has more drivers

>thanks for the tip, but may I ask why? I'm assuming that xunbuntu must be easier to deal with the driver issues than mint, since you quoted my processor

No, Mint actually has better driver support than all the other distros. It's just that you have a budget processor(A4) that will run much more smoothly on distros suitable for budget PCs.

yes, I do plan to gradually get deeper with linux. I'm what some call a "power user" when it comes to windows systems, would look to obtain a similar level of familiarity with linux.

What I'm mainly looking for is an OS that doesn't require me to jump through hoops to maintain some level of privacy. Xunbuntu sounds like it's easiest, but from what I'm reading about mint, seems like I might be better off long term learning that system instead.

>Xfce

if I'm understanding this correctly, mint comes with a handful of desktop environments, yes? Is the main difference between cinn and xfce the resource use? I could just google that question but if you're willing to answer it, saves me some time

>>>/nvidia/

try a minimal net install.
community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1428

lels

gotchya. would using the Xfce environment make a a big difference like suggested, or would xunbuntu still offer better performance with my low end pc?

generally very helpful guys. thanks. I've been given enough advice and link to send me off in the right direction. appreciate the help Sup Forums.

Install linux mint

Don't listen to retards telling you to use special snowflake version of linux. Just fucking use linux mint, it's practically guaranteed to work out of the box and if it doesn't you would've been absolutely buttfucked if you tried with a different distro.

dual boot. the installer will give you this option.

In xfce, is there any way to set a wallpaper straight from Firefox?

Your inadequacies are showing.
At least half a dozen distros are legitimately accessible to absolute beginners.
Certainly Linux Mint is one of the better in this category though.

^^ this

i'd use ubuntu or linux mint if you're new

Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu MATE.

I recommend against Xubuntu, I find the XFCE menu to be clunky and generally pretty bad.

I prefer Cinnamon to MATE because i like it's menu better. IDGAF about being a macfag or anything, I want a functional DE that makes sense and doesn't get in the way like Windows 7.

Basically, Mint Cinnamon or any variation of Ubuntu and you're golden. You should have no problems whatsoever if you stick with the most popular (by a massive margin) distro Ubuntu or a distro that is 100 pct compatible with it (Mint)

Mint is basically Ubuntu LTS optimized for the Cinnamon DE (which is developed and maintained by the mint team) so if you decide to go MATE, KDE, XFCE or any other DE just use whichever Ubuntu flavor you want

Linux is actually easier to use than Windows btw

i actually tried to put Linux Mint on my buddy's shat out Windows 8 laptop for him the other day but ran into some strange issues (probably just a bad iso burn) and after an hour bitched out and gave him Xubuntu (i lied and told him it was just as good)