/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a7_2017-review-1592.php

Galaxy S8 and S8+ to be even more expensive than previously thought
gsmarena.com/galaxy_s8_and_s8_to_be_even_more_expensive_than_previously_thought-news-24159.php

Lenovo P2 Review
phonearena.com/reviews/Lenovo-P2-Review_id4329

Android O Developer Preview overview: Oh, you'll love it!
phonearena.com/news/Android-O-Developer-Preview-overview-Oh-youll-love-it_id92288

Xiaomi Mi 6 variants and prices leak
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi6_variants_and_prices_leak-blog-24175.php

SMS is Being Removed from Google Hangouts on May 22nd
xda-developers.com/sms-is-being-removed-from-google-hangouts-on-may-22nd/

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Performance Preview
anandtech.com/show/11201/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-performance-preview

Amazon offers subsidized Moto G5 Plus thru Prime Exclusive Phones, plus $60 budget offering
9to5google.com/2017/03/24/motorola-moto-g5-plus-amazon-prime-exclusive-phones/

HTC U Ultra review
androidauthority.com/htc-u-ultra-review-758509/

Where has the 4.6" Xiaomi Mi S gone?

Previous >> 59558799

Other urls found in this thread:

phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S7,OnePlus-3T,Sony-Xperia-XZ/phones/9817,10313,10218
smile.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01N6NTIRH/ref=sr_tr_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1490548183&sr=1-3&keywords=moto G5 plus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw his phone isn't red like his mom's asshole.

papi makes my cheeks look as red as that after he's gotten off

So what'll it be:
ZTE Blade V8 Pro or Moto G5 Plus?

Which one should I get? And no, I don't like the OP3

I'm looking for a decent dual sim with a god camera. Something up to 300$ ?

>I don't like the OP3

How come? And I'd say S7 but after the S8 comes out

Doogee Shoot 1

I mean, yeah, its a pretty phone, but its too big for my taste.
>inb4 manlet
I'm 6'0

Yesterday I ordered a zuk z2.

Is it a good enough phone for medium everyday use? Or should I have sprung for the lenovo p2 or a oneplus?

In that case definitely S7, the size difference is more noticeable. Slightly shorter and slightly slimmer, plus the more rounded edges make it feel a bit smaller too. The XZ is almost as large as the OP phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S7,OnePlus-3T,Sony-Xperia-XZ/phones/9817,10313,10218

I mean I don't have issues when I'm actually using the Oneplus even though I don't have very large hands, but it can feel a bit awkward when I'm carrying it in my pants. Don't know how much better the S7 feels in that regard, in the end it's only a 4 millimeter difference so I don't know if that's at all noticeable in your pocket

>4 millimeter

Scratch that, I was looking at the inches. It's actually one centimeter taller

ZTE has USB-C, 802.11ac, dual cameras, larger screen, and off screen buttons (so more screen space dedicated to your actual screen).

Moto has US CDMA bands and ships with Nougat. And possibly more RAM if you get the more expensive version.

Thanks m8, I,ll go with the S7

Make sure it's not the Edge, that one's a bit bigger

of course, and it has the meme curved screen

Honor 8
Moto G4 Plus / G5 Plus
ZUK Z2 Pro
Mi5 / Mi5s
Nubia Z11 mini S

Oh man I started reading about phone sizes and in 2011 the Droid X was considered huge. Now there aren't even compact phones this size. What's your threshold with these things?

So all galaxy s8s are confirmed to have the meme screen, yeah?

OK, so which one would you get?

I'd go with the ZTE personally. Right now I have a Moto G3 with a charging port that's getting loose, so I want that USB-C. Might get it within a month or so.

I fucking hate modern phones. It's one of my most common things to bitch about with my friend. The Xperia X Compact and the Z5C before it are basically the only phones I consider to be acceptable in size, and all the cheap small phones while cheap also manage to have THICC bezels and the worst of both worlds when it comes to thickness.

As in, thick, and yet a small ass battery.

Anyone here have a Moto G5 plus? Is the camera cover scratch resistant?

nigga, don't buy that ugly piece of shit

What then?

just got an honour 6x 64 gb storage and 4gb ram for 290 bucks with 1 year warranty . did i do well ?

>Moto G5 plus
Is that even released yet

Couldn't you get the honor 8 for that price?

Yes.

smile.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01N6NTIRH/ref=sr_tr_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1490548183&sr=1-3&keywords=moto G5 plus

Im 200 cm long m8 , the honor 8 is too small for me

Wait.

>This item will be released on March 31, 2017.
Okay then, so it's not out yet but very soon.

Nigga just buy the non-Amazon variant. Amazon is slow af on updates

tell me, /spg/, are Sony phones good?
I'm looking at the XZ.
All i've ever had is an iphone and i'm tired of applels bullshit so I want to switch to android.
The non-rounded design is what draws me in the most.
What are some other good rectangular phones?

Amazon version is much cheaper and I'm just going to install Lineage on it anyway.

Zuk Z2 Pro should be around that price.

sony phones are fine imo. Their rom is mostly stock with not that many modifications. I had my sony for almost 4 years now and I don't know how often I dropped that fucker. Display is still intact, it's amazing.

You should wait then. I have LOS on my Moto G4 Prime and the battery was quite atrocious.

wait for s8 and g6 to sit on the market for a while

This. Have a 4 year old xperia z that I drop all the time. Got an s7 edge, broke that, so now back on the sony.

so the Moto G 5 has been out in europe for some time now; what's the consensus?

What's the difference between redmi note 4 and 4x

Lost its way after 3rd gen

There's Redmi Note 4 with a Mediatek Helio X20 SoC, and a Redmi Note 4 with a Snapdragon 625 SoC, same as the Note 4X. The only difference between the two phones with SD625 is the network bands supported.

any other cheap and durables?

Depends on the model, but 2016 Sony X-line phones are fine overall. A bit too expensive for what you get, but if it's not a concern for you, buy one.

Avoid Z5 line, it's trash.

>need a Verizon phone
>need a removable battery
>need a SD card slot
>need wireless charging
>need a bootloader unlock
>need Linage OS support
>Galaxy S5 meets all requirements
>order SM-G900V
>has a fucking Toshiba eMMC
>no bootloader unlock
>keep trying
>now I have 3 useless bloatware filled shitphones
I'm fucking pissed.

The alternative: LG G3 and LG V20

Sorry, I don't want bootloops.

Redmi Note 4 Global

>my friend
Only one? Who'd have guessed?

>need
No you don't

Some cheap phones are fine. The Acer T06 I bought as a cheap throwaway to tie me over after my LG G4 started bootlooping (at least until Snapdragon 835 stuff starts to hit the market) is an example of this.

Bezels are no more thicc than on the Pixel, body is no thicker than my old HTC One S yet has a removable backplate, call quality is acceptable, runs Android 6.0 (but hasn't received updates since June 2016 security patch), camera is reasonable, MediaShit processor is reasonably zippy, has SD card support, the 720p screen has better colour reproduction than my $1,300 Thinkpad X250, battery is 2000 mAh but lasts all day. Only real issue is the speaker is quiet and it only supports 3G, but for $100 Canadabux unlocked I am astounded at how good it is.

Forgot pic, on friends phone.

Another thing I forgot to mention is it has dual SIMs, so would make a good travel phone. You don't care about it breaking and roaming isn't an issue.

Anyone tried Samsungs dual sim "active" emulation or what ever it is?

You don't need food but every day or so. Stop eating so much. You don't need to go to the grocery store. Go track, kill, gut, and cook and animal yourself using a fire you made with sticks.

The US sounds like a hellish place when you need to think about what phone to get for what carrier

The US is large and carriers operate on different frequencies. It's not like some little European country where you have 10 cell towers.

Meh, people should already know that if GSM networks have the most choices for phones, but Normie's are idiots

For Verizon and Sprint yes. The GSM networks are basically the same and more phones these days have global versions that include both US and Yuro LTE bands.

Anyone have a ZenFone 3 MAX? Or know if the specs are good?

t. iPhone user

Pretty much all the European countries use the same 3 LTE bands, meanwhile in the US every carrier uses different bands for some stupid reason

Max? No, its low tier specs, the regular Zenfone 3 with the SD 625 is leagues better

yes it's great if you do the initial setup correctly

But it looks shittier :/

I have to give away my Samsung J3 in a few days. I have set it back to factory settings to clean it up, but I want to make sure nobody will get my data.
Could someone recommend me a good app that would overwrite all sectors in my phones internal storage?

The Max has
>worse screen
>worse camera
>worse SoC

Its literally the worst model with the only saving grace being the screen size but the resolution is shit, you'd be better off either buying the Laser or a Blade V8 Pro

Do all regular 3s have dual sim? Sometimes the write it in the title and sometimes not

IIRC, yes

Will have to check it out, the black/blue version didn't look half bad
Found mostly gold ones

USBC would be cool

If you find it too expensive, the ZF3 Laser is pretty good, has a decent screen and camera, and the SD 430 is a pretty decent low end SoC with QC 3.0, I have one in the phone I'm rocking now for a daily and it performs well

It's not really about price, I'm getting a new phone from work since I'm tired of carrying around 2.
So my main need is dual sim really, and that the store we buy phones from have them.

Has anyone gotten a Dtek 60?

Oh well if work's paying for it, get the standard ZF3

Shit, if they're willing, get a ZF3 Deluxe or Ultra

I'm think I'm gonna do that, because it doesn't show up as dual sim in the title but it says 2 sims so I guess it's just the store being bad. I hadn't looked at it

They have the Deluxe but only in gold, and I think it's almost too large for my liking.

If I go for the cheaper version I might hold out hope for the non-existing chance of Apple releasing a dual sim phone this fall and change to it. If I got the deluxe it might have to use it longer I guess

Which one should I get? ZTE Axon 7, Xiaomi mi5 or Redmi Note 4?

I need a phone with a good camera and GPS (i would like to use it to navigate and register GPX tracks with some accuracy). I would also like to be able to install Lineage OS on it (otherwise I would add to the possibilities the Huawei P9 Lite as well) and I use a lot of apps, so I guess a good CPU/performance in general.

Which one is better? Also, why the hell are Xiaomi phones not on Amazon anymore? I've heard about the charger shit, did they not fix it?

Other informations:

Carrier: TIM

Check to see if the second SIM is a combo slot where its either the SIM or mSD card, it might be configured that way

I mean when you click in on it it says 2xSIM, it's just in the name of the phone they haven't included it (but they've done that on like all other phones since they don't have a filter function for it sadly)

Oneplus 3T

Check on the Asus website, they'll state whether the second SIM is a combo or not

Require solid no-nonsense phone.

Calls, texting, email, sync'd Outlook calendar, navigation, light browsing only (have no interest in apps unlikely to be bundled).

- Good build quality
- Expect good battery life given use profile above
- Should last several years

I basically want the phone equivalent of a ThinkPad.

UK, budget £200-300 (happy to spend less), Tesco (O2) sim only. No interest in it as a status item.

Would like to go with a dumb/feature phone in fact but I travel a lot and access to the web etc. is helpful when trying to work out how to get around places where you don't speak the language.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, 64 gb internal storage version.

Pixel 5in version is perfectly usuable with one hand, the trick I guess is actually buying one since they're perpetually out of stock

Something under 300$?

Shit, get a Lumia

Axon 7 isn't under $300 though?

Encryption fails on my sony z1 compact with root.
It causes device to either enter bootloop or shows the "unsuccessful encryption" error. In both cases I need to restore full emmc backup from twrp.
Any ideas why this is happening? When I remove root it passes fine...

Honor 6X

Something under 300 with usb-c? and decent camera?

I'm replacing a Lumia which I've had for four years.
Thought I should broaden my horizons but yeah.

Don't like smartphones, can't live without one it seems.

I think I've been permanently cucked by MIUI. I always end up going back to xiaomi.eu for some reason. It just works and is pleasant to use.

Sony Xperia XA or Huawei P9 Lite?

why is the s7 so good

>Honor 6X
Yes, I was asking if it was the best choice compared to the two Xiaomi ones (that are under 300$ as well).

Can anyone suggest a phone that has a big screen, good camera, and some sort of water resistance? I have young kids and everything is at risk of getting wet at any moment

Secondary things but nice would be good processor speed (for emulation) and fingerprint reader on the back.

Price is honestly whatever

The situation for GSM carriers in the US isn't really much better. For one thing each carrier has their own non-standard implementation of voLTE, so not just any GSM phone will work unless you don't mind being without voice and SMS at times. T-Mobile is like this since majority of their Low band spectrum is band 12 LTE, when in one of these areas you'll be without voice and SMS coverage unless you went out of your way to buy a GSM phone that went through the certification process to have voLTE. AT&T is even worse since they refuse to certify any unlocked phones that aren't made by Apple and the only Androids that have voLTE are the AT&T branded S7 and (I think) LG G5. Of course AT&T branded phones are the worst of all branded phoned for bloatware, especially with the constant DirectTV pop-ups. Further more the GSM carriers both have shit overall coverage compared to Verizon. I've tried both AT&T and T-Mobile but always wound up going back to Verizon. Cost difference was minimal since I only do prepaid service with unlocked or used branded phones.

if you like it, it's not really being cucked friendo

s8

I have no idea how I quoted part of another comment (">Honor 6X") here.

>tfw you're on at&t