/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a superior quartz watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=bm5JyGM3haQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

>Decorated Quartz movements

Biggest watch meme?

Do any watches actually appreciate in value? Every mug with a rolex babbles on how it will gain money because it's limited edition, blah blah.

If you paid out of your ass for a quartz, you surely would want it to be decorated?

90% of them don't

Some of them do.

I'm sure someone will post that vid where an old man finds out his $200 Rolex GMT he bought after WW2 is now worth $40,000 because it had all the papers, the receipt, the chronometer rating slip, and it was a first production run.

>Christoper Ward of LONDON
>Swiss Made

Does this fucking company know what it's brand identity even is?

chynese

more like 99.999%

>£400
>Quartz
>Not even mecaquartz

I want to like this company as they're the only British watch company of note but all the make are shitters aren't they?

Oh yea okay. Over like 70 years and you have a good condition Rolex with all boxes and papers but what about shorter term?

>they're the only British watch company of note

No that would be Bremont, though they're also a bit pathetic in that they try and pretend their own movements when they don't.

Certain watches will become more expensive just after they are discontinued but not by much.

The Seiko Cocktail time will probably sell for a bit more over the next few years.

And you're talking $50-$100

It costs $100 to buy a Seagull ST19 movement and that's not bulk price.

There's no reason why the market isn't flooded with cheap mechanical chronographs.

But if you want a mechanical chrono and don't want to pay kilobucks you've pretty much got the 1963, Poljot or Alpha fake Rolex Daytona.

In the short term (10 years), the value increase of a desirable limited model will at best correpsond to a service.

And you never know which model it will be that increases.

The company is British but they have the watches made in Switzerland because muh Swiss made.

If the supply of ETA movements ever actually does dry up then they will probably switch to Miyota and move production to the UK so they can be 'made in Britain'

Or more likely to China and not mention it.

Watch autists will already know they use ETA movements so "muh swiss made" shouldn't need to be mentioned. And putting "London" on something has enough prestige to impress normies so I don't know why they have chosen to put "London" and "Swiss made" on the dial, it's just confusing to normies and signals they have no brand identity.

They are pretty well made watches with reliable movements. My Trident 300 only gained 7 seconds from when the clocks went back to today when they went forward.

They're only really worth buying when they have a sale though.

You should buy one of the thousands of limited edition Tag Heurs. The guy in the mall said it would be worth $10,000 in 5 years.

Are they ETA movements with bits added?

Well well well.

Look which general is coming around to their senses.

>TFW +/-ZEROs

congrats on achieving the accuracy of a $10 Casio

Define a shitter, /wt/.

Shitter Watch:

False heritage: Either completely made up, or an old company that did have heritage at one point but went bankrupt and was bought back by a conglomerate.

"Swiss Made": When it barely meets the 51% criteria that the law defines.

Non in house movement: Generic ETA shitter in chink cases

Affordability: Anybody can get one

Mass production

It's sold in mall shop windows in generic jewelry stores

It's the kind of thing your wife would buy you for your birthday.

>Do any watches actually appreciate in value?

Back then watches were not overpriced.

They were sold in smaller numbers.

People actually used them so old watches in original good condition and papers are rare.

They actually had tasteful, now iconic, designs instead of oversized bling bling.

So no it's highly unlikely anything but perhaps some high-end limited production watches (which I doubt many here can afford) will rise in value.

[ laughs in perfect accuracy ]

>You could buy that watch on a months army wage as a private.

And soldier is a shit paid job and I bet it was even more shit paid back then.

True. My dad was a poor southeast asian policeman back in the 80s and he got two rolexes. They're both just oysterdates, but still.

How come everything used to be cheaper in the past despite not having mass production?

judaism mostly

Markup is a function of far more than automation. Perceived prestige counts for much more.

Blind test of various brands of coke has shown this. In one case a cheapo brand was found to taste better than either Coca Cola or Pepsi.

Watches gained value in crime. That includes as bribes in China which has become less popular after a long series of executions. Watches are also popular for smuggling valuables and around here are used by prostitutes to transport valuables safely home.

So prices will probably come down. 3D printing on microscopic scale will cause a massive shakeup. Best linewidths now are around 250 nm. MEMS is even better but startup cost is rather high.

Tellingly the Openmovement has been very very very slow.

Chequered shirts and King Seikos are just natural pals

Yep

I think my orient and vostoks are shitters, but they're good value shitters. And that's what matters.

yes this place is 95% full of elitists who only personally own $200 watches

this current Sup Forums culture of newfags parroting some incorrect hateful shit because they read an infograph or reposted meme some autist made is disappointing

I don't see the issue with an appropriate priced ETAs 2bh. But when they get over $1000 it gets silly.

I own a 10 dollar watch only, but I don't need a doctorate in sanitation engineering to know when I'm looking at overpriced poorly crafted shit
take this (You) and buy a real watch with thought put behind its purchase

>waahh ETA is becoming exclusive and pseudo in-house since swatch is only using it for swatch brands
>ETA is generic

pick one

No that would be Roger W Smith.

>ETA is becoming exclusive
Literally who said this

>The Seiko Cocktail time will probably sell for a bit more over the next few years.
I really doubt it.

>good luck getting it serviced by independents!
>no more ETA parts lul!
>you'll get raped in fees by the official service!

a few posts on ETA recently

What an horrible case

Nice condition, and nice for avoiding any potential quick-set issues with the 56xx. How's the accuracy so far?

People will want one and the used market will be able to decide the price. That's what usually happens when stuff gets discontinued.

In the 60s a man could buy a house, 2 cars, multiple rolexes and keep his wife at home all on a low wage job.

What happened?

see

Could somebody help me to identify this model it's an older one from the 80's I think. Junghans.

Women are significantly more demanding now.

Also, the building codes and safety standards for houses and cars have significantly raised the cost of buying them.

In the 60s you could buy a metal box with wheels and seats. Now you need to buy significantly more complicated ABS, traction control, airbag systems and it all had to be tested.

It's no longer legal to manufacture and sell a simple metal box with wheels and seats.

ignore the retarded Sup Forumssmoker rich white baby boomers undoubtedly ruined the country. people like trump and the GOP

Could be better, running slightly slowly so probably going to get it serviced at somepoint this year - it's a lovely watch, but I'm still debating whether I should get a Daini KS just to have the both factories

>ignore Sup Forums
>posts Sup Forums material
ebin

8 years btw

>it's not r/thedonald typical nu/pol/reddit material
>he hasn't realized he also lost

keep dicksucking your orange tvdaddy though

yeah Sup Forums that's great
except this isn't Sup Forums so fuck off

8 years

Kys faggo
This is /wt/ keeo that shit out

Opinion of having a Miyato movement in your Watch, Seiko and Citizen make use of their movement.

Are you meaning that you haven't had the 56KS serviced since you bought it? I would strongly recommend getting it serviced sooner rather than later if so, as having the watch run after not having been serviced for a long time can damage it.

They will buy the new one.

>wanting 4 years of cheeto benito kucking you
lmao dumbass

you didn't say anything when the nazi started spouting anti-semitism. in america we fucking stomp nazis.

no really Sup Forums you have to go back

I blame the victory of trump solely on passive aggressive losers like yourself.

Fuck off this is a nice board.

nah it's shitty old white baby boomers ruining everything for everyone again and that half the democrats didn't vote because they threw their grassroots candidate under the bus.

(You)

Boit to buy a invicta. Should I go for black, green, gold silver or red and blue? I want the green but idk

Thoughts?

buy what you like

reminds me of stretch marks

looks hairy
hairy ball
swiss hairy balls

>sanders
>grassroots

Will I get bored of the green? I love nature so a green watch would look cool outside, all my wardrobe ia black and I want to spice up my life and get away from boring stale things, but a watch is a big purchase, don't really want to risk it

see

Green is my favorite color. Got pic related.

The previous owner said it had been serviced (and gave a receipt) about 2 months before sale (that was around a year a go) and it's ran fine, might just make 100% sure everything is fine with it because even if it's not a £10000 watch I can still see me keeping it for a long while

I love my G757.
I feel happy every time I look at it.
Anybody considering buying one should buy one.

That looks super nice! I live in a crappy place so a seiko is a luxury watch, I would be handing out 300€ for anything seiko. I guess I should get the green. Thank you!

Seiko does not use Miyota movements.

I thought miyato were citizen

The new one looks bad

What a nasty, vicious, pretentious shitter of a watch. Burn it.

Nobody here actually knows how to fix old automatic watches?

I would recommend getting something not invicta though. I know there is this shitter troll roaming the thread but memes aside invicta is a true shitter.

If you like tritium Ball is a great brand, I wouldn't buy that watch in particular though.

Depends which one.

I really do want to get either seiko pr timex but both cost so much here, the cheapest timex I can find is 70€ and has no waterproof, the cheapest seiko is 139€ and is.. ugh.. okay looking at best.

Is there any other cbeap watch I can buy off ebay or aliexpress? One that isn't "shitter"?

Is that automatic? Doesn't look like it is.

There are a couple watchmakers, more or less experienced, in this thread.

Buy a meme seiko (SKX007/009) from creationwatches. Would make a solid first diver watch.

Well the bluish silver one which is a direct replacement of the current one looks exactly the same except for some retarded reason they've decided to write "presage" in big white lettering on the dial.

Topkek. People believe this? You know he's gonna be impeached within the year right?

Are there any good swiss watches you can buy for around $300-400 or are you going to get fake heritage shitter company watches?

I'm worried my collection is becoming full of Seikos.

My bad, is Miyota any good?

thanks for the information Sup Forums now go back

200€? Man I'm struggling to buy enough food to keep me and my dog alive I don't think I cam expense a 200€ watch. I mean it does look incredible but damn that is a lot of money.

What makes invicta bad though? Do they not keep good time?

This interests me too. Are Certinas shitters in that price range?

If you cannot buy something decent yet no shame. Wait and save a bit. Took me 6 months just to save up enough for my Seiko SARB. It was well worth it.

Some are good, some are garbage. They make movements from the cheapest of dogshit to legit nice ones, just saying it's a miyota movement gives no information at all about the quality.

Alright dude I will take your advice. Better buy something good once than get chinked on my first watch.

they make outlandish designs and aggressive marketing that makes small minded plebs dislike them

everyone else can see that they have some of the best value divers around though

Depends what Invicta it is.

The whole brand is repulsive with their fake history and heritage though.

Its not an automatic, but a damn good watch.

I've got an old auto (pic related) that will work for 15 or so seconds if I shake it around like michael J fox. I don't have a watch spinner and I don't want to spend $100 on one for a single watch. Is there a diy way of winding an auto?

I put one of these on a hirsch leather strap and honestly it looks like an expensive watch now.

It only fools normies though. Can;t escape from the giant INVICTA logo.