/win10/ - Is it really more annoying than using a linux distro?

>windows 10
>have to use a docker container as kms server at startup
>have to run a C# script to re-change settings at startup
>have to run a C# script to check/update my software at startup

>linux distributions
>terrible battery efficiency even with tlp
>terrible font rendering
>terrible graphical glitches on boot/desktop

Other urls found in this thread:

www74.zippyshare.com/v/dSpULQGy/file.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/font_configuration
ix.io/piP
ix.io/piS
ix.io/piT
pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5
i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png
pastebin.com/CqSgT9fX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

windows is annoying

you can't script with c#

>>>reddit

see if everyone could afford macs then everyone could be happy.
It literally the best of both worlds.

I fucking hate Macs but when it comes to software development they are million times easier to work with than Windows.
It hurts me to say this but if you can't stand using GNU/Linux then just get yourself a fagbook.

What is your use case? I have had better battery life and font rendering on linux than I do with windows 10, but I never have had to fuck with kms on windows or had settings change either. Seems like you are having an unusually bad experience with both operating systems

Fixable!

There is scriptcs!

I don't trust them anymore.

All OS' are terrible, why can't anybody make a decent one?

Are you using winxp or did you buy windows?

>pretending GNU/Linux rendering is terrible in a comparison with Windows
wew lad
Also, you literally can get the same font rendering as OS X if you're willing to install a few packages
And Ubuntu has much better font rendering them Windows ootb

>linux
>terrible font rendering
Try harder Sup Forums.

do you have anything to hide? gentoo

are you a good goy? winblows

OSX and Linux sucks if you play games and actual buy any peripherals. Want to buy a scanner, printer, camera, mouse, keyboard, etc.., and want to use any of its advanced features? Gotta stick with windows, or look specifically for the OSX versions. You can probably get basic functionality with Linux, but that's about it.

Neither, MAK from a defunct company. I get it now though. For some reason I thought pirating windows was easy

i hate how unprofessional it has become (besides many other things)

>Terrible battery efficiency even with tlp
True, win10 is miles away on that
>Terrible font rendering
Ubuntu based distros have better font rendering than any windows, only OSX is better.
>Terrible graphical glitches on boot/desktop
Can be true if your graphics card is not so mainstream, most intel igpus are good on linux and even most amd apus work out of the box.

When I installed linux in my laptop it took me 2 days to fully install and configure everything in order to get rid of the problems my hardware had with it. I installed many tools so it should take less depending on your use case. Thing is that those two days were worth every second. I like linux since it is makes my life easier once configured regarding coding, compiling and any other tech related stuff.

no body is stopping you from making your own OS :^)

>This

What? I have a scanner, printer, camera, and a nice keyboard\mouse with media keys and macros and shit and everything works ootb. Gaming on wine can be shitty though

I use both mac and linux btw

Oh hi there, redshit winnigger, enjoying your first week?

Chocolatey is much better than PPA or AUR.

Stop being a pedo and start to use W10 as every extremely productive wojak do.

Just use MacOS.

>he bought a KMS key
>not using OEM keys that are good forever

I'm betting the percentage of products that come with native linux drivers is below 10%.
Everything else is generic drivers and generic software. There's no linux software for mice with programmable sensor profiles. I have scanners and all-in-ones where the copy and email buttons don't work. I have webcams where I can't set the colors/whitebalance and I can't control auto-focus.
Basic functionality works for everything of course, but I actually want to use all the features of the things I buy.

>Not pirating it
good goy

>completely unsigned "windows packages" from the internet

user, you have no idea how any of this actually works, move along

It is.
Option1: Install windows 7, crack with 7loader, enable accessibility settings and free legit update for w10
Option 2: find someone who's part of Dreamspark (of whatever it's called now) and get one of his licences
Option 3: get a licence basically anywhere (old laptop, office computer etc...)
Option 4: call MS customer support and say you changed your mobo so your windows licence isn't valid anymore, get one free

>7loader
No. Use DAZ's Windows Loader.
www74.zippyshare.com/v/dSpULQGy/file.html

This is how linux works... Seriously nobody check the code they compile.

Totally fair. I suppose I get by on generic drivers most of the time without realizing

What? Looks better than Windows tbqh.

Not that person, but I think that Windows's font rendering is a lot better than the one from Mac (to me it looks like MacOS renders all fonts in bold) or the one found in most Linux systems (which looks blurry).

>pirating software
>not using free software

plz go

>There's no linux software for mice with programmable sensor profiles
There is software to do this. I don't really find multiple profiles that useful and just use the first one and set the dpi on that.

Teach me. My fonts don't render at all unless I pick sans-serif/serif in font setting of the browser.

Snake oil.

> terrible font rendering
Im running at 150% dpi on windows and all text is blurry as shit. It's blurry in windows 8 and later and hasn't still been fixed.
> terrible graphical glitches on boot/desktop
On windows, youtube videos started glitching, happened everyday. Im not sure if it's because I have gtx 1080. Never happens on windows.

Windows 8 and later also has issue with process scheduling. If you dont have a very new computer, your sound and cursor can randomly freeze.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/font_configuration

:(

itt: faggots talking about font rendering

:^(

>Lag for hours
>Harddrive activity at 99%
>download virus scanner because assuming i've become a botnet
>windows needs to restart your computer to update
>update is for a feature i don't use but runs in the background 24/7

Remind me why no one has coded a visual studio for linux.

>Okay Google, what is visual studio code?

I prefer nano if we're talking about text editors.

>Visual Studio
just streamline my shit up
Eclipse with G++ or whatever compiler you need for your meme language is probably going to be your best bet tbqh

I tried Eclipse in the past it was shite.

Windows put a port of VS on mac but refuses to do it for linux really makes u think

the major tech companies that dominate the field today are starting to rot from the inside out due to a lack of innovation and competition. all that remains is the slow consumption of the industry by marketing types and retards with MBAs who play golf at 1:30pm on tuesday. Expect more senseless dumbing down of software, expect less functionality, expect more paywalls, more advertising, more targeted marketing. Expect the end of American dominance in software in the next 20 years.

The real tragedy will come when someone implements an expert system for drag and drop components for "systems" programming and marketing teams are put in charge of products, engineers are removed, and everyone who doesn't suck the dick of the almighty dollar is gone.

I hope climate change kills most of us, especially california.

mac's window manager is complete ass.
i don't understand how anyone uses it.

>Windows 7
>None of this happens
>And still get Visual Studio

1:30 is pretty hot user, I prefer early mornings

ubuntu fontconfig rules are cherrypicked from bohomil's repo

midday is better because you don't get the sun in your eyes as much on courses that move in a circle.

this type of answer is why archlinux sucks

you need a few fontconfig rules to tell freetype what to do with the fonts you have

easiest would be to mkdir ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.{aval,d} and cp font.conf (s) to /conf.aval/ dir then symlink the ones you want to /conf.d/ , changes take effect immediatelly in general , you don't really need ~/.Xresourses rules - if you do your fonts are borked somewhere

Using any product from the fascist tech giants (Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet/Google, Intel, Facebook, HP, And Amazon) renders you a small financier of the corporatist hegemony, a contributing part of the globalist botnet, and disqualified from membership in the revolution as an agent of change.

>this type of answer is why archlinux sucks
If you're a retard. If you have decent reading comprehension it is actually a very good answer.

How exactly would I get windows 10 on a USB drive? I would like to know because I built a pic but need windows 10 and don't have the cd thing

no it's not

it just jerks you off and wastes your time , in the end you still don't have an answer

in reality few people know fonts intimately enough to write their own .conf settings

and if you ask on the bbs. thread (not mine, just noticed it) gets locked with something like your comment

exactly why i said archlinux sucks and you confirmed it

t. archuser

Since this is such a common topic that nobody seems to have any good answers for I'm going to write up some copypasta for how to get an infinality like font configuration without installing infinality fonts.

:v

Not really an argument

tru

>99999999999999
Sup Forums confirmed REDDlT!!!!!!!

>150% dpi
found your problem

windows doesn't like in between dpi scales, use only multiples of 100% (100, 200, 300, 400,...)

ix.io/piP
its mostly good

any suggestions?

ix.io/piS
ix.io/piT
its mostly good

any suggestions?

>ix.io/piT
>its mostly good
>any suggestions?
Probably. There's a lot more in that config that I've ever used. I'm installing Arch in a VM atm and am about to write up a newfag copypasta on configuring fonts in arch. I'll try out your config and see if it looks better than what I was going to use.

Macs doesn't have decent gaming hardware, your argument is invalid

>>GET TRUTH

>have to run a C# script to re-change settings at startup

Que?

It bugs me what kind of Win10 people on Sup Forums use. Clearly not the same as mine, since I dont have to do all this kind of shit.

It is really hard to believe that simple fact of running european version of Win10 would cause that difference.

And yet, for example, my settings were never reset yet, while Sup Forums claims that their Win10 does this all the time.

>terrible font rendering
Windows suffers from this too, though. I can't use Windows when I'm expected to read a lot of shit.

Depends on the hardware but yeah, linux will always suffer, unlike macOS and Windows, even with Wayland, from graphical problems such as tearing and artifacts for doing this that or the other thing in a specific way. In contrast Windows sometimes doesn't like to open the start menu.

Here's what I came up with for font rendering on Arch. This is what I've been doing since January when a harfbuzz update completely fucked the infinality bundle leaving a ton of people looking for a new way to get good font rendering. I just replicated this on a fresh Arch install in a virtual machine while writing it to make sure that I got it right and should work for everyone. Saved for future use for myself and for copypasta since it 's a common subject with rarely a cohesive answer and people have a hard time making sense of the wiki.

-Creating an Infinality-like font configuration for Arch-

From a clean slate on Arch we can now create a similar font configuration to the infinality-bundle's without having to use the patched packages. It is now possible to easily get great-looking results with the default interpreter.

1. Create the following symlinks to instruct freetype2 to use good-looking rendering defaults
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

2. Modify (or create) /etc/fonts/local.conf to contain these contents: pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5

3. At this point your fonts should look pretty good but we can do even better by making sure that we have all fonts on the system that were defined as substitutions earlier. To do this we need to install the packages fonts-meta-extended-lt and fonts-meta-base from the AUR which will build the rest of the fonts required.

After having done all this, restarting the X-server by logging out and back in should apply all changes.

-Screenshots-
Linux - Wikipedia: i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
Github - i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
Arch website - i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png

Raw paste data with code brackets: pastebin.com/CqSgT9fX

>"I have to jump through 80 different hoops to use an operating system" - OP
I don't understand how people like you manage to perform the physical act of getting out of bed with the underwhelming number of neurons in your possession.

Thanks. I'll them out in my vm.

>What is RedoxOS

Has anybody had any trouble installing KB4013429?

It's been trying to install this for weeks, but just has to roll it back because it can't finish the install. And so every time it takes like five minutes for my PC to boot. I've tried a few fixes but nothing. Seems people are having trouble with it in general

Windows 10 LTSB for the record

>russian ransomware
noty

>Workers of the world, unite!
Nice meme comrade

Yeah Windows 10 is awful

I'm about to quit my job I'm so sick of dealing with it.

We switched everything last year because the CTO is retarded.

1. those symlinks are auto created at install
(2/3) installing fontconfig [#####################################################] 100%

Fontconfig configuration is done via /etc/fonts/conf.avail and conf.d.
Read /etc/fonts/conf.d/README for more information.

Configuration via /etc/fonts/local.conf is still possible,
but is no longer recommended for options available in conf.avail.

>get vaio laptop
>windows 10
>"ok, let's add an account"
>add an account
>computer has a seizure and hangs.
>tried not once, not twice, but thrice
>fuck it, get spare xubuntu CD
so damn comfy

>terrible battery efficiency even with tlp
Not for me, I never understood how this is still an issue for some people, except maybe in laptops with Optimus, because it's STILL NOT FUCKING IMPLEMENTED PROPERLY.
>terrible font rendering
Not for me with latest Freetype / Fontconfig. Infinality is not even needed anymore.
This is true, but when Wayland finally arrives hopefully this will be a thing of the past.

>C#
>script

i would use linux but there's no good music player

I don't understand how you fuckers deal with having to fix every little shit and get some work done at the same time in you gentoos. I haven't had to touch the command line in 10 years on windows and nothing ever broke because I used some adblockers to keep shit out of the internet.

I've had to open the command line dozens of times over the years on Windows.

Which version of MSToolkit works on 10. The one I have 2.5.3 seems to be struggling although I'm sure I've used it successfully before. Some of the newer ones I've downloaded all seem to trigger AV where as the older ones don't.

>fagbook
I- I'm proud user.

VLC

What does step 2 do?

You make config file, then you add the configurations from the file he uploaded to pastebin :)

my reinstall experience:

>install linux
>install apps
>transfer configs
>everything just works

>install windows 10
>disable tracking bullshit
>switch like ten different toggles in OOBE
>please do not turn off your computer
>spend like an hour tweaking privacy settings, app permissions, update settings, etc.
>telemetry level: basic :^)
>remove junk apps
>they still install on their own, for you :^)
>remove again, disable that shit
>even then, it does all kinds of shit on it's own and you're basically never confident about privacy

>update installs shit apps
>update breaks something
>update resets settings
>update changes wallpaper
WINDOOOOOOOOOOWS

Installs the botnet

A fork of a meme ide based on blink.

>this type of answer is why archlinux sucks
>things that don't spoonfeed me like a complete fucking retard suck

Well, the world is always going to have complete fucking retards in it. Might as well be you.

Fontconfig has a default file at /etc/fonts/fonts.conf that it will fall back on if /etc/fonts/local.conf doesn't exist. So when you create local.conf it will look for it first and that's where the font config should go.

this to put it simply

>subject
Yes, objectively so.
/thread

its u