/pcbg/ - PC Building General - "Extreme Case Modding" Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.

pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.

logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p
>wait for Ryzen R5s

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.

pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/3fCzsJ
reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/61cfub/gpu_asus_rx_470_strix_9850_15999414233830397/
pcpartpicker.com/list/X3QDXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/X9XyRG
pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw
pcpartpicker.com/list/gnrDXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/QbDqXH
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=442
overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are Seasonic PSUs so good? I've used multiple Rosewills within the last 2 years, and theres nothing wrong with them other than the occasional black soot whenever i go to clean it. Smells weird too

They aren't any better than their main competitor, Superflower.

The new Rosewills are made by a much more reputable manufacturer than the old ones were. As in they're no longer PC deathtraps.

Superflower is better.

I'm planning on upgrading later and, for me, performance wise, haswell is good enough and with /o/ endeavors and uni, I'm on a budget.
With ryzen 5 coming up, if I give it a month or so to iron kinks out, would a 4c/8t 1400 or 1500X compare with a 4th gen i7 since they're both around the same performance per core but costing less than $200?
It'll be paired with a GTX 1060, as I already have that, so I wouldn't imagine it bottlenecking much at 1080p.

Also, I'm coming from an fx-8320e since it was very cheap and performs pretty much the same as the phenom ii 965 (which was fine in of itself) it replaced and I only switched for temps and freebies I got that reimbursed the processor and then some.

Just don't get intel

So I'm looking to build a new PC from scratch on the first quarter of 2018
I assume Intel will launch CoffeeLake and its new socket for that time
But I have no idea for GPU's, wanted to buy a 1080Ti or I can assume that nvidia will be launching its 1100 series by that time?

or wait until intel beats amd again baka

inb4 waitfagging

>i will build a new PC in almost a year
fuck off

pcpartpicker.com/list/3fCzsJ
r8

>1Q 2018
definitely, DEFINITELY intel.

as for nvidia, they will probably have their volta arch out by then, maybe not, not sure
1 year is a lot of waitin' to be speculatin'

Gonna be building a new PC in September.

Should I get a Vega to get by for a while until nvidia releases 1180 ti or should i just get the 1080ti and sell it next year?

>buying a dual core i3 with no extra threads when even the G4560 for $40 less has 2 cores and 4 threads
fucktarded/10

how about you wait until vega is actually released

Is dual channel ram worth it? Is there a big difference between two sticks of 4GB 2400 ram and a one stick o 8GB 2400 ram? I heard it's important when you're using integrated gpu but just how important?

>G4560
stock or cooler master?

the only reason not to buy a dual stick kit is if you buy a mobo with less than 4 ram slots

the fuck are you talking about?

so is acrylic and computer stickers really that easy to use?

well that going to be in a month so its going to be out in September. I was just wondering if I should get that or just go straight for the 1080 ti without fucking about.

I guess I get your point. May as well get the 1080 ti and sell it.

Only YOU can decide that because there are no benchmarks of Vega yet.

stock cooler or cooler master cpu cooler

Is it worth getting Ryzen if youre gonna use Windows 7?

Heard it works but no updates

>AMD WILL NEVER WIN, JUST BUY INTEL NOW
>WAIT GOYIM, JUST WAIT!

Funny how the tables turned like that in the course of a month.

you cant OC the G4560 or any of the i3 except that one K model, and they dont run hot at all, so why would you need an aftermarket cooler for one of the most efficient chips atm?

yeah. you're gonna have to upgrade sooner or later anyway. and it's the same deal with the latest intel chips.

why did you take the bait you fucking retard?

Just installed a new PSU. Is there a more unrewarding component?

i need new case fans; what's the best price/performance point for low noise? tell me quick before i buy into the noctua meme

fractal, be quiet.

optical drive.

Should I wait on buy a 1080 ti? Will the Vega lineup probably decrease its price point?

rumour is that vega is a bit slower than 1080ti (but faster than 1080), so it depends on how they price Vega. Probably wont decrease by much.

what else should i improve

>why did you take the bait you fucking retard?
To prove to others who are too stupid to see the bait that it was shit bait

Wait for Ryzen 5 or 3.
You cant run that CPU with that mobo without updating BIOS and you cant update BIOS on that mobo without a CPU installed.
RX 480 8GB is cheaper and at least as good and in some cases better than 1060 6GB.
Get a bigger SSD.
3000MHz ram is the same price as 2400MHz. And get RAM without heatsinks that sticks up above the PCB.

>dual core
>2017
Depends on the use case but fuck man.
What do you think you should improve?

Oh yeah sure but its obviously not going to top 1080ti. Its going to be a cheap equivalent to 1070 maybe

total budget?

lolno. 480 is already between 1060 and 1070. see

>1060
>pentium

UNDERRATED POST

what would intel make under $200 that'd compete with a 4c/8t cpu?
I'd imagine on the higher end, intel would btfo amd, but what would they do within budget?
I do like extra threads as I do use multi-threaded applications often, so an i3 is right out and a low end i5 would be lacking in the multi-threaded department.

invest $100 in an i5 by ditching the 1060 for an rx 470.

reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/61cfub/gpu_asus_rx_470_strix_9850_15999414233830397/

Still not better than the TI. Anyway I think I'm just gonna get the TI, fuck it.

>hat would intel make under $200 that'd compete with a 4c/8t cpu?
a cheaper 4c 8t with better IPC.

and no one claimed it was better, learn to read and stop trying to be so fucking defensive about it. sounds like you're some nvidia shill ffs.

? I was not being defensive, I asked whether I should go for the Vega and wait for the next high TI to come out or go for the current TI. Then when you said wait for Vega specs I realised that it doesn't really matter 'cause its probably going to be only a couple of hundred dollars difference so may as well go for the 1080ti. That is all.

Also I doubt anyone really comes in here to advertise.

If Intel made a 4c/8t cpu for under $200, it'd either make the consumer i5 and i7 moot at their price points, or drop their prices down on all other tiers significantly.
And knowing Intel and how they retain value and don't budge in prices, I doubt they'd do that.

What case fans are the general recommended ones? Just like how many people recommend cryorig H7 for a cpu fan.

I all ready have a case
whats the best brand of the RX 480
there a store near by me that sells SSDs for 69.99 and 2TB hard drives for 59.99

Is it worth spending the extra for 3200mhz DDR4 over 2400mhz in a build with 7700k and 1080 Ti?

How is this build shaping up peeps?
sub-$2000

>pcpartpicker.com/list/X3QDXH

Recommended changes?

>X is between Y and Z performance
>"b-b-but it's still not better than Z!"
>"i-im not defensive!"

it's only $10-20 for a significant speed increase....

ASUS mobos are having issues.
>buying windows
>WIFI
And you might wanna get a 1080 to get the best experience from the CPU.

the price difference is bigger here and I don't know if that speed increase will actually have an impact

aio liquid cooler instead of air cooler.

arctic cooler 240mm.

I'm trying to make it meet my cousins requirements.

~Wireless is one of them.
~He's vehemently anti-piracy (thus the windows 10OS purchase).
~And it's got to be sub-$2000, as that's the budget given.

So yeah..

>I am planning on a AM4 / R7-xxxxX upgrade though eventually, so the MoBo tip is helpful.

then google a test for the shit you will use the PC for

>AIO meme
enjoy you're pump noise

he sounds like a faggot.
and why the fuck does he need 8TB of fucking storage?
and you had no SSD.
and here's a cheaper mobo with built in Wifi.

pcpartpicker.com/list/X9XyRG

>enjoy you're pump noise
i don't hear shit m8.

come over and listen.

try to find one thing wrong with this build I dare you.

oh and the case you picked is utter cancer.

pcpartpicker.com/product/9XL7YJ/fractal-design-case-fdcadefr5bkw

go see an ear doctor

>buying i7 just before AMD release R5 that could force Intel to lower prices.

Apart from that, and expensive meme motherboard, nothing.

Fuck off m$ marketer im not going to get windows 10

it supposedly has the best OC capabilities and I when I do buy the build cpu will probably be cheaper

i havent bought windows myself since 2003 and i never told you to buy it, but the fact is you need win10 if you want DX12 and use all the features of the new CPUs.

>best OC capabilities
>for kaby lake
literally any z270 mobo will get that shit to 5GHz or very close to that.

>go see an ear doctor
come over and listen faggot.

>Extreme case modding edition
Noice. Can I put a PC in this or is it a fire hazard?

>faggot
Doubt it, he's got a fat wife and three kids already.
>8TB storage
Reasons
>no SSD
Price restrictions
>cheaper MoBo
Thanks
>case
I don't know, I like my black CM Stormtrooper more, that carrying handle comes in handy. It's what he picked.

Ok, I'll poke around a bit more and incorporate the suggestions.

>price restrictions
>$2k
>no SSD
learn to prioritize.

>case
that $40 tesseract shit case you had in the list isnt even close to a $80 enthoo, fractal or corsair case.

What's a good horizontal case that can both fit a 1070 and serve as a stand for my monitor?
I don't really care if it's atx or matx as long as the 1070 fits.

>he fell for the ssd meme

Muh load times

this case has handles: pcpartpicker.com/list/gnrDXH

also, faggot means more than gay.

lian li and fractal has some (pic related).

pcpartpicker.com/list/QbDqXH

buy this, get the 8tb drive if you really want it instead of the m.2 ssd.

you're $200 over budget AND you're missing several requirements he listed...

extra 200 for a 1080 ti.

so? you're over budget AND MISSING REQUIREMENTS.
not only that, but you went and got a overkill PSU for a system that barely uses half the wattage.

fuck off.

>so? you're over budget AND MISSING REQUIREMENTS.
you're a big fucking retard you realize that?

why are you getting an 1800X for a 1060?

I am searching for a new screen:

>Larger than 24"
>4k
>IPS
>16:10
>affordable

Does such thing exist?

>why are you getting an 1800X for a 1060?
go get your eyes checked you fucking mongoloid.

>go get your eyes checked you fucking mongoloid.
1070 isnt anywhere near better.

you have a complete tard build.

its absolutely useless for anything.

I have a GTX 1080 in my parts list.

And your 1080ti build is absolutely useless for everything that guy wanted.

PS. i hope you realize now im not the fucking guy that posted asking for help, you stupid fucking moron.

says 1070 m8, should be buying a 1080 used also.

an 8tb hard drive is fucking useless as well.

a wifi module is even more useless.

I'm about to get a GTX1060. What's the disadvantage of getting a single fan GPU? I'm using a HTPC case and I think a full length card will fit, but a short card will be a lot more comfy. Do the single fan cards make more noise?

see and he specifically said he wanted 8TB drive.

you can stop posting now.

>he specifically said he wanted 8TB drive.
useless piece of shit.

kill yourself now.

>guy lists requirement
>keeps ignoring requirements
>gets butthurt when called out for being a fucking retard
>tries to shift focus to other people
And again, I have a GTX 1080 in my build list. Stop implying I'm samefagging as someone else to try and avoid looking like a fucking imbecile, you pathetic fuck.

>And again, I have a GTX 1080 in my build list.
you still havent posted it.

8tb drive is shit, your requirements are nigger-tier.

Try using your eyes and look at one of the replies to the guy that originally posted asking for help, you blind fucking retard.

And, AGAIN, it's not MY requirement.

get the fuck out of this board you massive faggot

>Try using your eyes and look at one of the replies to the guy that originally posted asking for help, you blind fucking retard.
still not a link.

>And, AGAIN, it's not MY requirement.
you're the one demanding it, its fucking retarded.

>get the fuck out of this board you massive faggot
nah

8tb drive is for niggers faggot.

I've linked TWO lists, and both have a GTX 1080.
The only person that have linked a list with a 1060 or 1070 was the original guy asking for suggestions.
I'm not demanding jack shit, I'm repeating the original requirement by the guy asking for help.
And your subjective opinion about hard drives doesnt fucking matter because you dont know what he's going to use it for.

>I've linked TWO lists, and both have a GTX 1080.
still not a link.

>I'm not demanding jack shit, I'm repeating the original requirement by the guy asking for help.
yes you are faggot.

>And your subjective opinion about hard drives doesnt fucking matter because you dont know what he's going to use it for.
there is no use for it, literally a nigger hard drive.

kill yourself m8.

Get G4560 + 470 now or wait a month and see what AMD brings to the table?

>still not a link
scroll up.

>implying implying implying
pic related is you.

wait. if anything intel might lower prices or announce their new cpu

>scroll up.

>retard cant read
>retard cant type
>retard still refuses to post link
>retard still being a nigger

god damn, no wonder you want that 8tb drive.

I've already posted two links, they're in the thread, go find them you lazy faggot.
PROTIP: it's the ones that contain a GTX 1080 and AM4 system build.

You can continue your shitposting here:

>I've already posted two links, they're in the thread, go find them you lazy faggot.

>still not a link
>still being a retard
>still being a nigger
>still using an 8tb drive
it just doesnt end does it?

>1070
>evga PSU
>spending more than 150$ on a mobo
>512GB fucking INTEL SSD and no data drive

Holy fuck anons, tame the autism.
I'm still at work and haven't had a chance to update the build yet, just calm your jets.

>thinks that EVGA PSU is bad
>thinks everyone needs a HDD

>>thinks that EVGA PSU is bad
g1 psu's are bad.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=442

>overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1
nice try nigger

Does anyone have any experiences of the Raijintek Thetis? About to pull the trigger on one but would like to know how painful the cable management is on one and how noisy it is.