So, I just installed the Linux OS...

So, I just installed the Linux OS. I like this whole idea of freedom and everything seems to be fine aside from some minor issues i'm experiencing.
>no thumbnail view in the file picker
>no Microsoft Office
>no games
>no photoshop
>no After Effects
>no DAWs

Are there any computer experts on Sup Forums that could help solve these small bugs on my Linux computer?

Just install Windows 10 sweetie

>Get used to not having a thumbnail view in the file picker. You'll see your productivity skyrocket in a week.
>Use Open Office. It's going to look like shit when someone tries to open it on Office, and your excel data may just cease to exist when they do, but your productivity will skyrocket once you start using the superior free alternative.
>Don't play games. Get rid of your friends if you have to. Your productivity will increase a lot under linux if you stop playing games.
>Use Gimp instead of photoshop. It's missing thousands of features that photoshop has, but once you get used to it you'll be way more productive than you could have even dreamed of being when using a Mac.
>I don't know what a DAW is, but get used to not having it or find a free alternative. You'll be much more productive with superior free software (or lack thereof).

>"the linux os"
weak

It sounds like a pajeet.

Libre office, GIMP. I think you can use Reaper through WINE (a program to attempt to run Windows apps on Linux)

I'll bite

>no thumbnail view
nice meme
>no Microsoft Office
LibreOffice. It's not as good we all know.
>no games
Steam
>no photoshop
GIMP
>no After Effects
darktable
>no DAWs
Ardour

This bait is bad and you should feel bad

>gimp
>alternative to photoshop
>loonix
>daws

Linuxfags is so hilarious!

how do i turn webm thumbnails on in file picker? ;_;

>alternative to photoshop
We don't describe free software as an “alternative” to proprietary, because that word presumes all the “alternatives” are legitimate and each additional one makes users better off. In effect, it assumes that free software ought to coexist with software that does not respect users' freedom.

We believe that distribution as free software is the only ethical way to make software available for others to use. The other methods, nonfree software and Service as a Software Substitute subjugate their users. We do not think it is good to offer users those “alternatives” to free software.

Use virtual machines, normal cuck

This thread reeks of microsoft shills

>who are you quoting

>So, I just installed the Linux OS.
Nope OP, you didn't.

DESIGNATED

all linux users are pajeets tho

go to wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
follow all instructions
install the software you think linux is missing

really, I have a machine where like 40% of the applications I use are Windows programs in Wine, even in cases where there's an actual Linux version (the developer generally is a lazy shit so the Windows version ends up being better and/or faster, even in Wine)

the biggest issue in your list is DAWs, latency will be through the roof, I gave up years ago on using Linux for any music work because I needed Windows VST instruments but couldn't deal with the huge-fuck 200ms or so latency
maybe it's improved since then, but I can't be arsed to go try it again
renoise has a native linux version, but again, that doesn't work with Windows VST instruments

Linux bait threads manage to catch autists every damn time. Best bait

>tfw after fucking years I finally became used to GIMP and am like 2-3x as fast as I am with Photoshop
it's mostly from me not using PS in forever and near daily use of GIMP

and I still dunno why drawing a fucking circle (or really, any basic shape) is like a 3-5 step process in GIMP (circle select, fill the area, set the border width, fill the area, deselect, skip first fill for an unfilled circle, skip second fill for a circle without stroke)

and don't tell be something retarded like "go open up Inkscape and then paste your circle in after drawing it there" fuck off and die

it's the same in photoshop except in PS you can use the draw tool which makes an unrastered shape that looks like total dogshit. It's the same steps for a rasterized circle.

sounds like you need to Hackintosh

install ffmpegthumbs

shit software doesn't help with professional work

people choose it to get away from microsoft office
microsoft office is a piece of shit

Weak bait, try again

>But instead of a screenshot of my problem I took this ancient meme picture from 2014 and passed it as my own
Also
>no games
install Steam
>no photoshop
Install Wine and then Photoshop

nobody professional uses windows anymore

"No."

Also,
>what is a Mac

>Ardour
While it is a DAW it's pretty lengthy for a beginner to get working properly and get used to.

If you don't mind spending a little money... Bitwig Studio is a much better option than basically every other Linux DAW. Outside of that you might try LMMS if you're going the free route

OP just stick to windows if you have hobbies. Seeing as to how you're looking for DAWs and image editing software, you probably do, so don't bother with Linux.

Don't suggest GIMP, it's not a Photoshop substitute.

Krita is a better answer.

Even if the programs are clunkier I've come to prefer the general process of audio work on Linux.

>pretending you use photoshop AND after effects
gets me everytime, how are thise video copilot tutorials going?

>>no thumbnail view in the file picker
Wrong.
Use a different filepicker.
>>no Microsoft Office
Wrong. Use a VM or wine or open office or Google docs.
>>no games
Completly wrong.
>>no photoshop
Wrong. Use a VM.
>>no After Effects
Wrong.
>>no DAWs
What is that?

In all honesty if you really care about the software you shouldn't use Linux.

I enjoy bonding over the perceived expense of others as well. Hello friend.

> daily use of gimp for years
> doesn't know about stroke selection

What's the proces in photoshop by the way? You click the circle tool and it magically knows if you want filled/empty and what the center and radius should be? Honestly curious

It is the UNIX philosophy. One program, One function.
In fact, it should be even simpler, as in:

sudo drawpixel -x 53 -y 230
[...]

>>no DAWs
Bitwig.

>GIMP
when will this meme end

You need to download the KDE application suite.

Windows Euro has been replaced with something called Dolphin. You have to look at the top of dolphin and select the preview button to start viewing thumbnails for images.

Microsoft Office has been replaced with Kalligra, or sometimes LibreOffice. They are superior, so no worries here.

Games you get your classic Klondike solitaire in KPatience, as well as like ten other varieties of software, including Spider and FreeCell. KMines and Shisen-Sho replace Minesweeper and Mahjong respectively. There is no direct analog to Purble Palace, but there are various games made especially for kids,like Potato Guy and Pairs. - 3rd party games are available online, or you can use WINE to not emulate them.

Photoshop has been replaced by the superior alternative GIMP. It is rumored that if you post 700 images on fourchan with metadata indicating that it was made in GIMP, you get kidnapped by the elders of assflaps and become an honorary Stallmanite. This is a high honor.

After Effects has been replaced by the superior combination of GIMP and Audacity (Audacity is third party software and not included in the KDE suite). You get to learn how not to be a filterfaggot, and make real multimedia the way only true wizards of video can.

Check out LMMS. The best music, however, is produced without digital equipment, especially on the pan flute or with pure vocal chords. Just think, digital means representation through number. Everything is an on or an off. _You_ can't read binary sheet music, so why should you produce it?

>no Microsoft Office
>no games
>no photoshop
>no After Effects
>no DAWs
Install VM, enable GPU Passtrough and you have all this shit.

No you didn't. Linux is a kernel, not an OS.
>I like this whole idea of freedom
Then why did you install Linux? It includes nonfree, binary only blobs.

pls learn2computer

One of the best posts I've ever read on Sup Forums. Bravo.

Controls may be different in GIMP but it has a lot of features for a beer free program. It's not like people should be using Photoshop anyway for their spicy memes since no one actually paid for it.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

I love how the solution to not being able to use a number of softwares is to build a VM and install Windows, rather than just using Windows natively. Why not just have Linux in the VM?
It seems to be the deficient option. Once powershell supports ssh, I imagine that will be the final nail in the coffin, the last bastion of 'muh lunix ssh connecshuns' will fall.

use circle selection tool
shift+click/drag makes it a perfect circle rather than an oval/stretching with the mouse
ctrl+click/drag selects from center out to mouse
once selected, paint bucket or brush filled as normal and use stroke filter to draw a border.

are gimp users really this retarded?

Gnoo/Linucks is for fucking hippies.

This was pretty hilarious though.

>Thumbnails
Try KDE
>Office
Runs good in WINE, but LibreOffice is $0, now has a ribbon, and is fine *as long as you export to PDF.*
>Games
Eh. WINE gives you some options, but it was never strong here.
>Photoshop, AfterEffects
GIMP (UI sucks, feature set isn't that bad), Krita (if you like to draw), you're sort of fucked on AfterEffects. Checkout Lightworks (Pulp Fiction, Batman, etc.) and Resolve (Oh Brother Where Art Thou, Spiderman, etc.) for some solid video editing/color grading.
>DAWs
Ardour is good if you have hardware effects to use with it. Harrison Mixbus is based on Ardour and apparently really good if you like really "vintage" workflows. Bitwig is sort of similar to Ableton (give and take some features) if you're into electronic stuff. There's nothing too stellar here but I've heard good work out of Ardour and Mixbus.

>sudo drawpixel -x 53 -y 230
Kek

>uses non-free hardware
>thinks he actually has freedom

Nice pasta
but let me reply anyway, so you children on Sup Forums learn

Update your shit, it's now available
>no Microsoft Office
Install wine
Don't use libreoffice
>no games
>what is steam
also wine
>no photoshop
wine
>no After Effects
wine if you're lucky.
still,
>unironically using AE
>no DAWs
Ardour
Or install windows inside KVM
(Protip: if you use KVM with a frontend, fucking uninstall it now. Calling kvm from the CLI or a script returns a better video output)

You don't need all that stuff. Just use a text editor for everything.
t. freetard

there's a real time linux kernel now, try that bro. should be ez to install in arch, and i know manjaro has a utility to install and switch kernels easy as Fuck

I know this is bait, but if you have to rely on a specific software for whatever reasons, don't use an operating system that doesn't have that software, period.

>thumbnail
KDE

>Office
LibreOffice works well for the most part.

>games
Steam and Wine exist. Won't support everything though

>Photoshop
Hardly use programs like this, try Krita and Inkscape

>After Effects
>DAWs
No idea, don't use this stuff either.

Not the OP but in the interest of making my Arch install comfier I wanted to try different file managers today because Thunar just doesn't do it for me, partially because of thumbnails.

Anyone have any recommendations for an alternative?

That's the point.

cdcpmvlsrm

I know this is bait, but I will tell what I tell everyone who writes a post like yours.
You switched to Linux, but don't like how it doesn't have features/services Windows has. If having these features/services is essential to your computing experience, then just use Windows.

Why do you lie about idiotic things?
What you listed is not minor issues, did you expect that someone stumbled unto this thread and started to develop a couple of games for you?
kde has that, there is also a patch you can try if you want to use a lot of gtk applications for some reason.
>no Microsoft Office
Yes there are. It is the same as you use for windows, so there is no "linux edition" or something, just install it like you would normally.
>no games
There are some games.
>no photoshop
>no After Effects
>no DAWs
I never used any of those tools, so I don't know what is there and what isn't there.
Maybe you have to use different tools than you would on windows and often you need to use more than one application.
Most free software projects have a very narrow focus and this leads to very good tools, but they don't cover everything.
This means you have to think about what your task is and how you want to do it rather than just buying the most expensive software tool and then live in that application.
Linux has something windows never managed to get and that is multitasking.
Windows can only run a single application per physical display (unless you like to hurt yourself, then anything is possible) and that means professional software projects for windows must be an all in one solution.

If you want to use linux, you should learn why it was made, how it works and how you can get your stuff to work.

>>no thumbnail view in the file picker
>Update your shit, it's now available
You mean the 15x15px "preview"?

>15x15
Works on my machine®