/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung has quietly slashed prices on two of the best affordable phones around: the Galaxy A5 (2017) and A3 (2017)
phonearena.com/news/Samsung-quietly-slashed-prices-on-two-of-the-best-affordable-phones-around-the-Galaxy-A5-2017-and-A3-2017_id92453

Xiaomi Mi 6 and Mi 6 Plus specs leak: Snapdragon 835, lots of RAM in tow
phonearena.com/news/Xiaomi-Mi-6-and-Mi-6-Plus-specs-leak-Snapdragon-835-lots-of-RAM-in-tow_id92452

Samsung Galaxy S8 to use Sony IMX333 camera
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_to_use_sony_imx333_camera-news-24216.php

[MrMobile] Moto G5 Plus Review: The Best Phone Under $300
youtu.be/eAIw4eE-OPg

Moto G5 Plus review: a new value champion - The Verge
theverge.com/2017/3/24/15045140/moto-g5-plus-review-price-specs-value

Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a7_2017-review-1592.php

old

Other urls found in this thread:

carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5-plus.html
makeuseof.com/tag/verizon-limits-unlimited-data-plans/
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_compact-8610.php
en.miui.com/unlock/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> You realise Lenovo Moto G5 is a Chinese too?
Not all. I hope the Moto G isn't Chinese.

What's your problem with Chinese phones anyway?

>tfw want a new phone
>old phone is still alive and I can't really justify buying a new one

well, at least I can keep my consumerism in check that way.

My LG G3 is starting to shit itself, and rather than put up with a dissatisfactorily performing phone, so I'm looking for a new one.

I've heard that the OnePlus 3T is a pretty damn good phone for the price range, competing with the likes of the Google Pixel or Galaxy S7 whilst being a fraction of the price, but it's still a £400 phone I'd use for little more than basic functionality and Pokémon Go.

I have a TalkTalk contract sim, UK, Ideally I'd want a big phone like the LG G3 again. (146.3 x 74.6 x 8.9 mm).
Removable battery is preferable, as is removable storage but it's not essential if there's at least 128gb of storage. The OnePlus 3T lacks both of these.
Adequate performance and high memory (not 2 fucking gb) are a must.

I like the axon 7 but from what I've read it seems the QC isn't quite there, getting a little put off, esp as I live in UK so no customer service, I'll buy off ebay and then I'm on my own.

Might just get the Oneplus 3T, just need to deal without the micro sd slot

> What's your problem with Chinese phones anyway?
Software. I wanna pure Android without bugs. And nice/midle camera, at least.

If you want a removable battery then
Moto G5
LG G5 SE

Then buy a fucking Nexus.

Good phone for murrica on at&t for under $250? Decent build quality, LinOS support, 720p, and at least 64GB of internal storage and/or SD support would all be nice.

I'm about to buy a Doogee Shoot 1. Talk me out of it

Google stopped making them though. And Motorola phones have stock android too.

Best phone for playing Moe Can Change Myroid 4 Life and Love Live School Idol Festival?
I had a supercheap chinkphone but it died months ago. So I need a good and affordable phone for calls/music and pic related.
I had spent so much time in that game that I just can not spend a day without it.

Bonus point for no android 4.4 (I had that version and sucked)

So do Chinkphones like Vernee and Oukitel.

Your point?

Moto G4 / G4 Plus
Moto G5 Plus (no LinOS yet but it's pretty much guaranteed to get it, every single Moto G phone before it has)
LeEco Le Max 2 (has official LinOS, full support for AT&T bands)

Should I buy the midnight black OP3T or go with the regular gunmetal?

That isn't even a question that you should really be asking, just get whichever one you prefer the look of since they are exactly the same otherwise

I'm probably the most indecisive person on the face of the planet.

Black version will be rarer so the resale value will probably be higher. Looks nicer too imo.

Tbh, I could probably give you a run for your money

Any release date confirmed on the Oneplus 4 (5)?

about to buy the 3t and I'll be gutted if it comes out within a month or 2

Is Moto G5 Plus even available in the UK? Doesn't seem like it.

It's on pre-order, delivery by April 4th if you buy from
carphonewarehouse.com/motorola/moto-g5-plus.html

>family switches to Verizon due to AT&T having g bad service
>Verizon proceeds to fuck us in the ass
>$320 for 4 lines with 10gb of data between them, no phones to pay off
>My phone does so I get a Droid Turbo, they raise the bill even higher
>2 years later
>Finally just paid off the phone, my mom and brother are off our family plan and have Google phones on Project Find
>Just me and my lil bro on Verizon, no phones to pay off again, bill is still around $220 for two lines with 10gb a month

Guys I fucking have to get off Verizon. I really loved my Turbo but it's going to crack open and die any day now, it's really starting to show its age on being able to function, and the worst part is I haven't had more than .25 GB of space at any given time and I have no idea where it all went. I have absolutely no apps or photos or music or anything on this phone, yet in the storage display it says all 32gb are fucking taken.

I've been thinking of getting a S7 or S8, but they're kinda expensive and I'm hesitant to sign off on another contract. I would just go with the Google fi project but I don't really like their phones. For one thing, I can't get over having the bottom menu bar with the home and back buttons take up screen real estate.

Fuck me.

What's your opinion of the Moto G5+?

Good info, because this looks like a very reasonable phone for my needs.

Stupid question but SIM free means unlocked and ready to just put my SIM card in, no contract plan needed, right?

>$320 for 10gb data
wtf, I can get unlimited data for 15€/mo. Currently paying 6€/mo for 4gb.

It looks alright but I never know until I use the phone for like a week.

Yeah idk how they got around to fucking us over so badly. But they charge my gfs family the same and they don't mind because they're rich as hell.

They get away with it because they always say the upkeep of the network costs so much when they barely do shit, American Carriers just gouge consumers and the govt just let's them do it

Yes, just put your sim card in. If you'd like something similar but cheaper then the regular Moto G5 is already available to buy in the UK.

The added processing ability matters to me, but I also just found that the G5 Plus listing on Carphone Warehouse is the 2gb mode, not 4gb. That's a dealbreaker.

And the unlimited plans aren't actually unlimited
makeuseof.com/tag/verizon-limits-unlimited-data-plans/

Currently considering getting the Huawei p10. How does it stack up against phones like the Pixel?

Probably going to ditch my Xperia Z3 Compact

any other good compact, "powerful" phones on the market not chinkshit? Was thinking the Z5 Compact but reviews are kinda fugged

>Cares about "security"
>Roots their phone and doesn't unroot

Ayumi is love.
gonna buy a bootloop5x to try out fi and just buy a pixel 2 when they come out.

iPhone SE

Xperia X Compact
iPhone SE

That's pretty much it

There is a 128GB 3T version but it's $480 (which is still relatively cheap if you take into account the performance)

Should I buy the Axon 7? It's a bit expensive for me but my options are limited as I need t-mobile band 12, prefer custom ROMs, and still want decent performance. I guess another option is the Moto G5+ but it has an LCD screen and SD625.

Oneplus 3t black edition was meant to go up for sale 5 mins ago, what's going on?

Xperia X Compact is good but it isn't a flagship. It's essentially a smaller version of the Xperia X. The chipset is much better than the 810 in the Z5C in terms of efficiency and heat. However, you don't get 4K video recording on the X Compact, nor do you get waterproofing.

There is a rumored Xperia XZ Compact on gsmarena but no news links have been posted on why they think it is coming.
gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_compact-8610.php

iPhone SE is a great little phone, the A9 chip is still great today even beating the Snapdragon 820 in benchmarks. If you're looking for a 4" phone this is basically your only option for decent performance. Only downside (and reason I haven't sidegraded from the 6S) is that it doesn't have 3D touch. Seems like a gimmick but is actually super useful.

Okay, so it went up at 00:15 for whatever reason.

Ordered! So excited!

LeEco Le Max 2?
>Under $200
>4GB ram, 64GB storage
>1440p display
>Snapdragon 820
>Official LineageOS build
>Fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile bands

>no mSD support
>shit camera

Camera is fine for a phone that's under $200. Also there's a 128gb version available if 64gb isn't enough.

Won't be under $200 anymore, more like $290

Why's that?

Will I be able to get an s8 on contract? If not, what's the best current ~$400 phone? OP3T or Axon 7?

Would buy if it had a smaller screen and built in 3.5mm jack.

Also I'm on AT&T, so most chinese phones are out of the picture.

Why wouldn't it be available on contract?

looking for a case for the OP3T I just ordered, looking at the spigen neo hybrid and the otterbox, smashed my last phone, any recommendations on a case that will withstand the most drops?

I don't know. Is on contract a cuck choice though?

it's not necessarily a bad idea, personally I'll never do it again as I'm now paying £40 a month for the next year for a contract which would cost a lot less, if it weren't for the fact it's paying off my S7E

Forgot to clarify, it's paying off my broken S7E

appreciate the choice words, I was comparing them [z5c and xc] and really the XC seems lacking in addition to a hard plastic shell. Amazon is being a prick about the Z5C which I'd rather purchase despite being nearly 2 years old.

Yeah the Z5C is definitely the better built of the two. I wouldn't recommend any phone with the 810 though, it's a really shitty chipset. Z5C ended up with worse battery life than the Z3C because of it. It should still work ok though, and you do get an update to N (but probably not O). You can unlock your bootloader and install custom software, but you lose certain camera DRM that make the camera work better in low light.

I find Amazon to be pretty overpriced in terms of phones, especially older Sony ones. See if you can find a reseller in your country, or even try ebay. Here in Canada the main reseller i know about has run out of Z5Cs.

One good thing about the X Compact is that it has USB Type C. I have had reversible connectors for my last couple phones so I don't think I would enjoy going back to microUSB.

sup Sup Forums
I ordered my ZUK z2. To get ready, i bought my 2nd data(tablet plan) sim for my current dual-sim phone, and swapped it with the current one(which was a pay as you go data plan) in my current phone(Mlaix MX)

Problem is, for some reason my Mlais MX cant use the data on the new sim... Or on the old one either(tried swapping back)

anyone know how to fix this? I can get texts on that sim, but if i try to access the net, its just a "no server found" error. It also only shows 3G on the phone, even though its a 4G sim. I tried messing around in the mobile networks(and made sure the APN details were correct for my provider - Rogers)

Anyone have an idea? I know its a stab in the dark, since i cant really give too much info, since i honestly dont know WHERE to look.

Double the storage, check Geekbuying or Banggood, you'll see

Ordered the tudia omnix and the spigen neo hybrid

Your Mlais MX sounds like the second SIM slot is only reserved for calls/text
It might support 2G/EDGE, but if your provider phased it out then that would be why you're not getting data, same shit on my old Asus Zenfone 2's second SIM

looking for a lower end 5" phone with a US warranty, would Moto G4 play or Blu Life one x2 mini be a better purchase?

No, i replaced the old data sim with a new one. the phone and text sim is still set to be on 2G(phone only supports 1 4g/3g sim, and the other is forced into 2g)

Just did a factory reset and same thing.... I think i fucked the phone up somehow when i swapped the sims... Fucking irritating as hell..

Or your APN settings are off, check that

Don't get the Blu, their warranty is a joke cause I have the BLOX2 non mini and their warranty company is some chicken shit outfit in Oklahoma and require you to get an estimate with a letterhead shipped to them so they can determine to honor it or not

checked that too... The sims were from the same network(Rogers in Canada) so that shouldnt be the issue either.

Honestly, i thought it must be something like a freak hardware failure, but again, the sim still shows up in the settings, and i can still receive texts on it..

Why would I choose the Redmi Note 4 or 3 over the Redmi Note 4X?

The 4X has the SD625, 3GB RAM, and various official ROMs (Supports the same ROMs as the Note 4).

What's the unlock process like, in regards to getting TWRP and a custom ROM on a Xiaomi phone?

Asking because I'm genuinely considering getting the Note 4X, as a poor Australian. Was originally considering the Nextbit Robin.

>Why would I choose the Redmi Note 4 or 3 over the Redmi Note 4X?
Redmi Note 4X 64 GB version isn't common.

>What's the unlock process like, in regards to getting TWRP and a custom ROM on a Xiaomi phone?
en.miui.com/unlock/

I've never used over 10GB or storage on a phone. I don't play games or torrent.

So it looks like a pretty straight forward process, unlocking.

Thanks!

Hey /spg/, does anyone know how good either Apple or Verizon is at determining if a phone suffered internal damage not covered under warranty?

Because I'm a huge sperglord and a retard, I ended up throwing my iPhone against a wall in a fit of anger today. Now it's broken and won't turn on. After talking with both Apple and Verizon tech support, they've both concluded my phone is irreparably broken and needs to be replaced.

Luckily, my phone is still under limited warranty. But as you can guess, the warranty doesn't cover "accidental" damage like throwing it against a wall. I only told Verizon and Apple that my phone stopped working all of a sudden, so I can still get my phone replaced for free, but only if Apple or Verizon don't notice I threw it against a wall.

I have the option of taking my iPhone to an Apple retail store tomorrow and getting it replaced there, or receiving a new iPhone from Verizon in 3 days and then shipping my broken phone back.

So my question is, which company is more likely to notice that my phone was damaged from being thrown against a wall?

There's no damage on the exterior, my concern is that they'll notice it was thrown against a wall when they open up the phone to do a component check.

Apple store for sure, a carrier will get uppity about it

Can you elaborate? Why exactly is a carrier more likely to get "uppity"? And what makes Apple less greedy and more likely to not ask questions if they notice signs of blunt force upon opening up the phone?

My LG G5 is fucking up and i haven't even had it for a year

thinking of getting a new phone but not sure what
I have the lg g5 and was thinking of either LG V20, S8 or the G6

Which should I pick? Which is gonna be better

s8 unless you need the features of the v20

also warranty - you didn't lose the warranty on a phone whose manufacturer is infamous for hardware issues, right?

Why would you even consider another LG? They make shit phones.

the only reason why i'd consider them is cause G3 was such an amazing phone that worked so well I guess I am just hoping they would have another G3 on their hands

Just got the quickcircle folio for my LG G3

3 years and no brakes on this train senpai

alright guys, its come down to this:

redmi note 4x or Zuk z2.

I like the small form factor of the z2, but the massive battery of the note 4 really edges it in.

Which one has better 3rd party rom support?

Does Lineage OS improve or worsen battery performance? I just ordered a Me Max 2 and the only thing that worries me is the 3000mah battery powering a huge high res display.

Are you me? The struggle is real. Leaning towards the 4X because it's cheaper and I've never done Xbax HUEG phone before.

It looks like the 4X has quite a selection of official ROMs, but neither it or the Succ Z2 have Lineage

OnePlus 3T or Google Pixel? Coming from a Aysoos Zenfone 2 Laser. This phone is starting to get slow and outdated. It's rooted with LineageOS (Nougat, 7.1.1) and I think it'll be dead by the time Android O comes out. I was thinking of the Pixel but it's 900 CAD. The 3T on the other hand is cheaper, but idk there's something about it I don't like. Also a question for the 3T, it comes with the fast charger in the box, correct?

> So do Chinkphones like Vernee and Oukitel.
> Vernee
> Oukitel
What the fuck I am reading.

I want a smartphone that's fully unlocked, and 100% customizable. I don't want chink shit you need to hack into, I want a fucking open phone.

I want to root it without hacking it.

What's the best option for this? Money is not a concern.

OP3T is fantastic for its price range and yeah, it comes with a dash charger by default.

define "hack into"
most of the time, in worst-case scenarios, you have to just run some 3rd party script on your pc with the phone plugged in, or in best case scenario, run some script from the official vendor.

its honestly not difficult at all

Is the Le Max 2 the only option for a cheap phone with an 820 and band 12? Axon 7 and OnePlus 3T are double the price, and the Z2 doesn't have all the US bands.

i needed a phone relatively soon and I just pulled the trigger on a midnight black like my soul OP3T how badly did I fuck up?

>define "hack into"
If the software/firmware on the phone needs anything 3rd party or not supplied by the manufacturer to root it, I'll consider it hacking.

If I'm buying a phone from say Samsung or something, and Samsung offers no official way to root my phone, then it needs hacking, and I'm not interested.

It's disgusting how people boast about Android being all open source and an open platform yet seemingly none of the phones on the market are actually open, it's all just community driven hack tools instead.

xiaomi provides a first-party tool for unlocking the bootloader. Moto phones do as well, iirc.

and while I agree, its pretty gross that most vendors dont supply an easy way to unlock bootloaders, once you actually get past that step (which you only need to do once, and in most cases literally only takes minutes), the phone is as open as it possibly could be.

your aversion to "hacking" is going to exclude a lot of great phone options from your choice for essentially no reason.

What the fug!?
From 40 to 0% in seconds.
Nexus 6P on 7.1.1

>nexus device
>battery

what did you expect?

This
Great phones otherwise but I'd gladly pay 50$ more for one that doesn't need to be charged during the middle of the day

>Muh 3450mAh

What does /csg/ think of the Doogee Shoot 1? Here's a night shot.

And here's an artificial indoor light shot. Keep in mind that these are not shots made by Doogee Shoot 1, they are just for reference.

this is my phone
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G

I want to install android 4.1 on it and perm root it
I have an SD Card

Where do I begin?
Anyone have a complete guide?

Looking for a new phone to replace my aging Xperia Z1 compact. The battery only holds a charge for 30 minutes now, and it's pretty beaten-up too.

>Under $200 (Add +20% to US prices since we have crazy VAT here)
>LTE B20 support
>Similar or better performance as the Z1C
>Android Nougat
>Notification LED
>At least 5 hours SoT

I've been looking at the Xiaomi Note 4, the Huawei P9 Lite,or even the Redmi 4A, just because it's so cheap. However there are a lot of options at this price point, so I thought I'd ask you guys for recommendations.

Performance or battery life?

I've narrowed my choices between these two phones that are probably in the same price range.
What's the better phone for the long run. I don't usually play games cause its gay.