I was wondering if upgrading my 3 gtx 470s to 2 gtx1070 and adding a SSD would make a big differences on my old system...

i was wondering if upgrading my 3 gtx 470s to 2 gtx1070 and adding a SSD would make a big differences on my old system, or is it time to put togather a new system?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/bench/product/1856?vs=1731
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-2620-2GHz-44GB-ECC-2x-450GB-15K-SAS-/361935568235?hash=item54450a7d6b:g:Xz8AAOSwTM5Y1FPj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Get one 1080 or 1080Ti, SLI scales horribly nowadays. I7 970 is good, but it will probably bottleneck anything over a single 1070. Time to upgrade if you wanna go high end.

Replace everything user. Ryzen would be a perfect upgrade.

why would you even need 2 1070s? Do you play in 3 monitors like those gaymer kids nowadays? You're a joke

Three 400 series Fermi cards? Holy housefire Batman

>3 Fermi cards in SLi
Nice fire hazard you've got there, user.

Says the retard sperging out on the internet.

>3 470's

holy shit talk about poor decisions

At least i'm not the one getting 3rd degree burns

you need a new computer. Get a 6950X, you can overclock it and it will be the fastest thing you could put in your computer. Don't bother with 1070s, you should SLI two 1080 Ti cards for maximum performance and futureproofness. Only retards would tell you different

>Ryzen would be a perfect upgrade

> SLI Disabled
Kek bait

Not a gaming system. Our business does video and photo editing and the 470s are having a hard time on the rendering of higher resolution. The last nvidia update has my sli acting up.
They have done me ok up until recently.

>2x 1070
You usually want to stay away from SLI. Have you ever verified that you get good SLI scaling?

Yes it had good scaling up until I updateed the drivers last year it's been jacked up ever since even after I rolled back the drivers.

You still might want to consider one 1080 Ti. It's around 60-70% faster than a 1070 for +80% of the price.

anandtech.com/bench/product/1856?vs=1731

Since nothing has perfect scaling, it would likely equal SLI's best and blow it away at its worst.

Whether a SSD would have much of an improvement depends on exactly what you're doing. It certainly isn't going to hurt, but I throw around Blu-rays all day on hard drives and the few minutes it takes doesn't kill me. Getting a 960 EVO would be a rather nice luxury, though. (You'd need a PCI-E adapter for your board)

Build a new machine with at least an i5-4690K. That i7 is going to be a bottleneck.

LOOKS GOOD TO ME

Depends on what he's doing. If it's been working for him and it's the loss of the SLI that's causing him the trouble, he's obviously GPU limited. If he's not heavily CPU limited, a new CPU isn't going to do much for him.

>spending $500 for +33%
I didn't even notice OP had a hex core. I confused it for the 950.
He's probably still good there. Though if he does any major rendering he may want to consider the dual octo-cores you can pick up on ebay for a steal.

Thanks for the info. the more I think about it it's time to just put a new system since this is part of what I use to make a living. I was just trying to save a buck on upgrading my existing computer.

>$500

Nice try.

$300 for processor, $150 for mobo, and RAM, for very little improvement.

Look into a used Precision T5600 with dual E5-2670's. If you're handy, get the cheapest single CPU T5600, then buy two E5-2670's and install them yourself. Google around to find the aftermarket HSF that works in that board for the second chip (the Dell one is like $120).

Actually, I just looked and this one is rather interesting:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-2x-Intel-Xeon-E5-2620-2GHz-44GB-ECC-2x-450GB-15K-SAS-/361935568235?hash=item54450a7d6b:g:Xz8AAOSwTM5Y1FPj

Dual CPU (so both HSFs) with 44 fucking GB RAM for $560 shipped. You can pick up two 2670's for $100 each. So that would be 16 cores with 44GB RAM for $760. (and you'd have two hex cores to throw up on ebay for $30 each if you felt like it)

>$300 for processor, $150 for mobo, and RAM, for very little improvement

New board supported until 2020, DDR4, faster CPU. If it's time for an upgrade, it doesn't get much better in terms of value.

>paying a ton of money for something barely faster than what he has
>"value"

>New board supported until 2020, DDR4, faster CPU. If it's time for an upgrade, it doesn't get much better in terms of value.
Holy shit you're retarded.

Just because YOU want a totally new system doesn't mean it's a good upgrade. You know what would last even longer than total overhaul right now that's supported until 2020?

Not fucking buying a totally new system until 2020 when he'll actually want it, sperglord.

So you think that six core Ryzen is a good value? Here's one of those E5-2670's vs an 8 core Ryzen.

I put together two with 44GB RAM for $760. Let's see you do that.

Just saying today is a good day to put together a computer if you want to.

Yes, because the sale on that T5600 is over in an hour.

Dual 980 Ti user here... And yeah, I would *NEVER* do SLI again. It's a catastrophe anymore.

help