VR and Live2D

youtube.com/watch?v=jcZcBs8Of1Y
Stop shitposting for a moment and take a look at this. VRfags, are you excited at all? This extension of Live2D looks neat.

Other urls found in this thread:

live2d.com/en/news/euclid_development).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

looks fucking cool but it's like overcomplicating a task already complex like 3D modelling.

they are japs so I guess it's ok for them to overwork something.

It's okay but there wasn't a single Somalian refugee.

I think Japan needs more diversity

Is it just me, or does anyone else get an instant headache when they put on an VR?

VR exists for non-brainlets only

This is old news (2014 - see live2d.com/en/news/euclid_development).
While this would look great on a 2D display, porting it to VR would make it look like shit since everything you see would be in 3D except for the face that would appear as flat as a sheet of paper.
You're better off finding a modeling style that is both close to 2D illustrations and works in 3D.

VR is for lifelets. You have to escape to a fantasy world, my world is my fantasy. Enjoy your chink masturbation robot synced to crudely drawn animations in a headset.

it's all macs. Sup Forums got BTFO yet again.

If they legalized psychedelics there would be no need for VR.

Have fun losing your brain in less than 20 years.

the fucking suite is 1200 dollars, it's more expensive than AutoCAD or Windows 10 + Office!

So, what the hell happens when you view these in 3D, from a VR headset?

>euclid

What happened to that australian boy that offered infinite resolution or something like that?

>complex
>3D modelling
"no"
3D modeling isn't exactly complex, especially in cases like this where you're not texturing the rest of the body, you're just applying shades to faces.
>You're better off finding a modeling style that is both close to 2D illustrations and works in 3D.
What they where saying at the end, that next they wanna work out a way to make the environment you're in seem 2D, is gonna be what's important.
Live2D is the way to go, they just need to fix the occluding issues for when you hit the edge angle of what should be visible, and work on more full body 2d systems. Perhaps depth flattening the whole body, locking it onto one plane?
Another thing I've tried is entirely dropping 3D rendering, just giving both eyes the same view, so that the entire scene, whilst tracked to oblivion, making it feel real, is ALL in 2d.
Best immersion I've got so far.

what do you mean 'lose your brain?'

Psychedelics promote learning.

>3D modeling isn't exactly complex,

ok, show me your work or portfolio. Talking is easy user.

He kept denying that his technology couldn't be used for videogames while marketing it for every possible application but videogames.

I guess that he meant that it isn't complex for someone that has spent the time learning it. Which is true for most things.

>Another thing I've tried is entirely dropping 3D rendering, just giving both eyes the same view, so that the entire scene, whilst tracked to oblivion, making it feel real, is ALL in 2d.
I'm not sure I understand, you mean you're focusing everything on the infinity plane? From my tests it's not immersive enough, separating objects and rendering them as billboard sprites on different plans is already much better as long as everything is a flat plane. As soon as you add a 3D mesh to the scene the whole thing starts looking jarring.

Niggah, how gnu are you?
This is old news

I did a six month course a good five years ago, my profile wasn't impressive but I've always wanted to get back into it sometime rather than just contracting it out.
Usually I just cheated, got an artist to sketch up some profile shots of the character/object I wanted done, then modeled around that.
Texturing was a pain at first, I couldn't unfold for shit, but once I worked out that increasing the poly count fivefold and shading polys without texturing ended up using just as much memory as a low poly model textured, the hardest part was a breeze.
If my polys where ever too high I'd just crush them back down and turn the shades into textures.
"Anime" modeling is easiest of all, because most of the time it just involves slightly modifying a base and pinning 2d sprites around it for clothing, hair, yada yada.
If live2d took the bulk of the work away from that, then it'd be a dream for most modelers.
>you mean you're focusing everything on the infinity plane?
Basically, just removing one of the cameras and using the remaining one for both eyes.
>separating objects and rendering them as billboard sprites on different plans is already much better as long as everything is a flat plane
I kept trying this, but ended up just referring to it as the danganronpa effect and not doing much with it.
I don't think it's impossible to get it working; there's a 3DS game called "Shantae and the pirate's curse" that does it wonderfully, but it's mostly plane locked, spare a few effects.
Because items are all either Foreground, [Closer/middle/further] middle ground (For gameplay, background, middle distance, and far background, it works quite well, all items being 2D on their respective planes (with some exceptions for effects). Some character profiles are displayed in 3D for interactions, which worked great, and made me wish some of the sprites did the same.
ALL THIS SAID, IT WAS ALL LOCKED ON ONE AXIS.
How many axis does a VR headset move on? 6?

Cont...
I was set on getting some elements of 3D working in this environment, even if only displayed in 2D.
So take a 3D version of an anime classroom, consistent of only textured rectangles, drop a 3D model of an animu grill in it, then display the whole thing in 2D. Only way I could stop it from feeling jarring.
Perhaps 2D sprites with depth maps added onto them would work, I never got around to trying this before my holidays where over and I needed to go back to work.

>working in 3D enviroment

Fine, I'll fucking call up Carmack and ask him how to pull of a VR sex sim on a 486, only ever using 2D.