F U C K OpenVPN

I have never in my life encountered something as complicated and fucking retarded as connecting to a VPN on a headless Linux server. I am a full time systems administrator who makes a modest $60k a year and have been in the field for years - I'm a hobbyist and love networking and systems administration - but hot fucking damn I have never hated technology more than trying to get my headless home server to connect to a VPN using OpenVPN.

Thanks for reading my blogpost.

why is this still happening in ?

Logs. I've never had a problem with OpenVPN.

Really? You don't want to get this shit working?

You are me in job and pay, and I'm having issues setting up openvpn on ddwrt. Not much helpful documentation either..

Op I've felt your pain. I work for a top software company as a senior systems engineer, make 130k in Midwest money, have been in the field professionally for 15 years, have been programming since I was 10.

I too have had a hell of a time with openvpn before. I now have it setup on pfsense and it works great, but it's nowhere close to as simple as pptp.

Ah, you're trying to use a router to setup a VPN; am I correct?

Tomato makes this easy as hell.

Yep, I've never done it on ddwrt before, great success with pfsense though.

Yeah I might switch. Does it work well with AD? This is a home use case, but my roommate and I have a home lab.

>Linux
>OpenVPN
>he didn't use OpenBSD's native IKEv2 IPSEC VPN instead
lmao, you can't even use Windows' native VPN client for OpenVPAIDS.

just use a raspberry pi, or an old computer. You don't want to use your router. Let your router... well, route things. OpenVPN is meant to run an OS, or server. A raspberry pi Zero is only $5, and it can run OpenVPN.

Thanks for making me feel better OP, I'm an unemployed neckbear neet who has never had a tech job, but I haven't had a problem setting up and making openvpn work.

Yeah, I just upgraded to freenas 10, so now that I'm dicking around with that I'll probably just spin up a headless linux- or maybe not. Raspberry pi it is.

I might just be a retard, but is a VPN not still run by a person? A person that may want to track your usage and use that data they gained from you for the same reasons as the people you are trying to avoid having that data in the first place?
Could the NSA set up a VPN under the guise of offering a legit VPN service but just using it to funnel your data out hassle free and potentially at profit?

>you can't even use Windows' native VPN client for OpenVPAIDS
That pissed me off too. Had to install some shit ass third party client side software that hardly works. Then I connected it to the RPI3 running as a server and it says yeah brah ur connected. Except it's still just connected normally and doesn't use the VPN at all.

Open VPN is to set up your own. But yeah of course any VPN will give up your usage at the drop of a hat. Even if it doesn't because it's based in Bulgaria or something still means you'll be at their mercy basically

Lol retard can't into openvpn

OP, you've got it dead to rights. OpenVPN is fucking ridiculous. Just connecting to a VPN from a client machine without a gui is incredibly difficult.

>Sup Forums - Technology

>just connected normally
It needs the original connection for the VPN connection, but Windows will usually set the default route to the VPN. If you really want a good solution then use a virtual machine+SSH+tap adapter tunnel and have the guest bridge a host only adapter with the tap adapter. That way only the guest can connect out to the Internet and Windows is forced to only use the bridged SSH tunnel.

post cool ancap memes

Wow. I'm a virgin n33t and I've never had a problem setting up openvpn on openrc or systemD.

Neck yourself. I could probably take your job and have had no training whatsoever.