Sup Forums I really need your help

Sup Forums I really need your help.

I was trying to upgrade my ThinkPad W520's CPU and when I was dusting the components some of the liquid from my can of compressed air shot into the CPU socket.

Is the ThinkPad fucked? When I try power it on (with and without a CPU) the power light blinks briefly and then nothing. Plz halp.

So you got it wet then turned it on? No attempt at drying it?

I mean I understand the qtips are not GNU approved, but still!

it kind of evaporated. I've cleaned it with isypropyl alcohol and im going to leave it to sit for the night. Hopefully it works tomorrow because I really can't afford a new laptop right now.

I swear this is the worst god damn luck

its not the compressed air

Did you have it plugged in while you did this? Even if the power was off? Also how do you get the cpu socket if there was a cpu in there?

I don't know how you broke this user. I use acetone free brake cleaner to clean old pc parts. and spray the pci slots and cpu socket out. did you turn it on wet or leave the cmos battery in?

nope the laptop battery was out and no cords were plugged in. The CPU was out because I was trying to upgrade the CPU

I really wish I knew. I don't know shit when it comes to hardware. Feel really depressed now because poorfag and I needed that

>some of the liquid from my can of compressed air shot into the CPU socket.
Definitely doesn't have anything to do with your issue. Would have evaporated almost immediately and besides that it's not like water at all, the liquid accelerant in air duster is electrically neutral and will not harm electronics

>When I try power it on (with and without a CPU) the power light blinks briefly and then nothing. Plz halp.
My first thought is that the CPU isn't seated properly or maybe something else you were fucking with.

>I've cleaned it with isypropyl alcohol
Why?

This. you fucked up elsewhere.

>I was trying to upgrade the CPU
>I don't know shit when it comes to hardware
There's your mistake

I did a memory upgrade which booted up fine. The next thing I tried to replace was the CPU and now it doesn't start up. I haven't touched anything else.

>thinkpad W520
>No post after cpu upgrade
Did you put an ivy bridge cpu in there? (ix 3xxx) thats not going to work without custom bios iirc

I fixed it! I feel incredible right now. I was so fucking depressed, honestly felt like crying.

Here's what I did:
>Took out the CMOS battery and the main laptop battery
>Let it sit for ages
>Put components back in
>Switch laptop batteries
>Gives me a weird CMOS checksum error
>Eventually boots -- CPU and RAM are both detected

I have no idea what was wrong.

The air duster liquid boils off instantly and is a non-reactive fluorocarbon. No corrective action is necessary.

You were meant to clear cmos to begin with you asshat.

S-sorry, I don't know anything about this stuff

The CPU isn't soldered?

The solvents evaporate almost immediately. That's how the stuff works. Unless you got a massive amount of liquid on it and then rushed over to grab the CPU and put it on, it should have been fine. Something else is fucked up.

You'd think if the laptop was so important that losing it would devastate you to the point of tears, that maybe you would have read up on this a little more.

>it kind of evaporated
why not just let it fully evaporate? because if you let if fully evaporate there's no way it can fuck with anything at all. i.e. 100% chance of recovery.

yes, sir
t-thanks

I added so much to this ThinkPad. Upgraded the RAM to 32 GB. Gave it the best CPU it could have. Gave it an SSD. Added a SATA drive to the other caddy. Replaced the old broken speakers and track pad. I also installed the connection for GDC Beast in the Mini PCI slot so I can add a GTX 1080 eGPU later. All of this cost me practically nothing. Feelsss gooo man.

>tfw normies would pay like 4k for this in an alienware case