/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and autism that are required to produce a superior mechanical watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=Oa8ovXL6MQI

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:
>

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6EMlIWeouUw
youtube.com/watch?v=4Qcdkl_Ap7E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw no high-end quartz

>1100 US DOLLARS

>paying full MSRP for any watch ever

2 new targeted ads I hadn't seen before on facebook today

1/2

>MSRP

2/2

>NORTHERN GERMANY
>NORTHERN GERMANY
>NORTHERN GERMANY
>NORTHERN GERMANY

Let me guess: ex-GDR commie shitler?

>grey market 800 US DOLLARS

Nice Daniel Wellington homage

>tfw +/-0s

Dumb question, but do mechanical watches wind regardless of the direction that the weight spins? Or does it only store energy when the weight spins in a certain direction, either clockwise or counter clockwise?

Depends. Some movements have bi-directional winding, some have uni-directional.

Early ones may not have bidirectional winding. But with advances in gearing technologies we can synchronise outputs. So modern automatics have no problems.

There are modern movements with unidirectional winding too (like some of the miyotas).

Ah ok. I just have a Seiko 5.

You mean automatics. And yeah, most have a reversing mechanism for the rotor so it winds either way. Some don't, most notably Miyotas.

See pic, the Miyota 8215 has an arrow on the rotor indicating the direction it winds.

>le destroyed $5000 rolex air king man is now reviewing cheapy watches

youtube.com/watch?v=6EMlIWeouUw

Seiko has the magic lever system that offers bidirectional winding.

>buying new

>let me just buy this watch with pitted steel from some guy's sweat or overpolished lugs
>pressure test? that will be $500 please and oh btw the crown tube is fucked, that will be another 8 months while I source a generic replacement on ebay, enjoy your new franken
>clean and lube? ok I'll just need to hold onto your watch for the next 8 weeks so I can charge you $180 for a sheep dip job and you won't know the difference you'll just have to trust me

The reason WIS have too many watches is they're always in the shop

Just buy an eco drive new from Joma Shop and be done with it

Does anyone else find Patek's ad campaign extremely insulting?

>Yes consumer our trinket is so magical and valuable that your own life is meaningless to its grandeur

>your own life is meaningless
Well, it is

I think you have comprehension problems or are an atheist.

>I can't afford it so I'm going to be insulted on behalf of those who can
The point is to let new money feel like old money

Americans, Russians, Chinese, and other third worlders need a sense of aristocracy in their lives

He's reviewing Komandirskies now.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Qcdkl_Ap7E

>mfw literally my face

>t. egomaniac NEET
All I got from my late grand pep pep is a Vostok, a Raketa and an LCD Roamer but I'm glad he didn't abuse them. On the other hand I found a destroyed Poljot too,

I agree becuase I could only justify buying watches new under 500.

Anything in the true luxury watch range I would only buy second hand. The $500-2000 brand new price range is garbage that isn't a lot better than sub 500 yet holds almost none of the prestige/craftsmanship

>inb4 muh nomos
Yeah but I don't like bauhaus

Why are you making up complete nonsense?

It's not that difficult to find a reliable watchmaker if you actually do a little research instead of going to some random jewelry store hack.

>muh WOSTEP
>muh AWCI
Good job, you just doubled the cost of your service. So you bought a $1100 watch for $500, paid another $400 because of some acronyms some guy name dropped, and you now have the privilege of owning a used watch that you waited an extra 3 months to wear, and it still has some guy's sweat pits all over the caseback unless you asked your reliable watchmaker to do a museum-grade polish job to keep the lugs crisp (oops that adds another month and $200)

Are you the guy who started the used audio gear thread?

>jewelry store hack
I hope you don't mean watchmakers that do jewelry stores are hacks, user.

>Continuing to make stuff up
My watchmaker's reputation is so good people send him vintage watches to work on from other countries. He charges $150 for a complete service and turns it around in a week.

It's important to do your own research online to find a watchmaker with a good reputation and to do your research into what you are buying and what condition its in when dealing with used watches.

Considering that people manage to buy used cars without any serious problems as long as they act prudently, I don't think it is rocket surgery to manage the same feat with watches.

I can probably sell three of my watches to get to 20k and buy one of the more decent Pateks

I simply find them so outdatedly european and their brand dna is so unappealing

Why you get triggered so easily?

>Sheens
>Condoms
Ha

So why all the crud and oxidized gold and surface damage to stuff that's underneath crystals and casebacks?

It's like nearly every vintage watch ever was opened up front and back, and dragged through the streets.

It's raining so I figured I'd wear a diver just in case

Have you looked at the Calatravas or the blue Gondolo?

In general, the answer is usually moisture getting inside the case and having decades to corrode the internals.

Even with vintage watches found in good condition the hands and date window frames appear to be especially prone to moisture damage. With most of the vintage Seikos I have the dials, indices and movements were in very good condition but the hands and day/date window frames always have some level of moisture damage to them.

That logo belongs on tobacco products.

I like it

Holy shit, I never realized that until you mentioned it.

RIGHT?

Is Tag Heuer really that bad? I mean I know they were quartz shitters of the 90s but I'm looking at their modern stuff now and I am liking it.

Like other major brands they have some nice watches and some not so nice watches. Sup Forums hates them because we're poor and because the only good watches are ugly ass Orients, rattly ass Vostoks, and muh snowflake spring drive that I would totally get if I didn't waste all my money on "gaming chairs"

most of their shit is cheap ronda quartz crap marked up to a thousand dollars. their build quality is shit. Well marketed normie tier garbo.
their "in house" chronograph movement is based of a seiko movement. You can do much better than tag at thier price range.

their 1/1000 sec toubillon chrono is really cool tho.

i kinda like the design of the aquaracer too.

Who's got $100k?

ebay.com/itm/292060170753

Ooh here's another one, for free too what a deal!

What does Sup Forums think of the Tag Heuer Formula 1? I got it as a gift.

This is either terrible bait or complete laziness in not wanting to read the last 5 posts of the thread. Either way try harder.

I dont know the first thing about watches, but I love the idea of an Ulysse Nardin

Relax autismo. Just wanted opinions on that specific watch. Should I sell it then?

Looks good wear it in good health!

>let's make everything unnecessarily complicated because someone will pay for it
>look how cool this is! you need a 300 page manual just to be able to figure out what time it is, and if you wind it at the wrong time it has to go back to Switzerland for a $25,000 repair job
I hate watches like this

Just buy a Waveceptor and be done with it

Then again I'm on Sup Forums where intelligence is measured in how much time you spend ricing your desktop transparency with command line tools

>I hate haute horlogerie
>I'm a massive pleb who just wants a mall watch
>Yet I hang out in a WATCH THREAD shitposting because I literally have nothing better to do with my time whatsoever

I can see the craftsmanship and engineering that went into this and all

but it's just needlessly complicating(ha) what is essentially a three hander watch. making it harder to service and prone to more failures.

It would've been better if the tacked on crap actually did something more than tell the time.

Was it not far too big for you anyways?

Ulysse Nardin isn't haute horlogerie, it's a shitter brand.

Having a high price point does not make a watch good.

Shitty bait

>I don't know the first thing about watches but this one looks unnecessarily complicated
>>WWOW COOL SUCH REFINED TASTE
>I know a lot about watches and having evaluated the state of the industry and dealt with too many finicky old mousetraps, I prefer one that keeps perfect time and doesn't go out of service for extended periods because of a bad design
>>PLEB GO BACK TO REBBIT REEEE

Go get yourself arrested in Thailand for murder, archie

>Having a high price point does not make a watch good.

Pic related?

Ulysse Nardin, particularly an atrocious one, is like the anti-Archie watch.

What are some watches/dials that spell "I'm a watch that takes timekeeping very seriously". Kinda like pic, serious, but not "minimalistic" like muh Bauhaus nu-male Homos Denzel Washington pupper poopoo.

Hey guys, I am looking for my next shitter.

I am currently considering between the amphibia scuba dude and the rodina. If I get the scuba dude I will probably replace the bezel with one of the custom bezels they are selling on ebay. Will it be easy to get either watch serviced? Imagine that for the cost of servicing I am better off buying a whole new watch as a replacement.

I currently have a seiko sarb035 so I am leaning slightly towards the scuba dude.

R A I L R O A D
A
I
L
R
O
A
D

Yes thank you. Any automatic variant? If not then what's the ref number of this solar one?

It's reliable and doesn't break when you look at it funny, so if someone sees you wearing this it means you hate watches and literally don't know SHIT about le haute horologie

SNE045

current ones are Solar there might be some vintage variants in mechanical

Its a nice watch, despite what the seiko loving autists are saying.

> come into a watch enthusiast thread
> people prefer a "simple" watch that "tells the time"
> Thread should be called poverty watch enthusiast thread
> Nothing wrong with Ulysse Nardin.

>I don't understand what haute horlogerie actually means
>But I'll spout a nonsense opinion anyway
Here is a hint: it is not a matter of brand image.

>I have no interest in the technology and engineering that goes into hand made watch movements
>I prefer boring mall watches
>But I hang out in a watch thread to shitpost
You need some hobbies m8.

Yeah, I don't even know why I even asked for an automatic in the first place when I'm looking for a "serious" timekeeper.

Vostok.

You already have a dressy watch with white/cream face why get a second one of much worse quality and Chinese in top of that?
Vostoks are amazing, I wear my Amphibia when couch diving.

Get the scuba, as it's actually interesting. The Rodina is just a cheap fake in all but name.

You realize there have been essentially no significant advances in mechanical timekeeping since the 1930s? And yet you are here, defending "engineering" done for the sole purpose of making a watch more expensive to manufacture and maintain.

Not really into watches but I like looking at watch threads. What's the deal with divers? They seem way too chunky to be stylish and I can't see a use for the rotating outer ring.

>Is Tag Heuer really that bad?
Their CEO seems to like them

Watch tards think a huge ass watch is stylish and pretending you're a 1950s navy seal makes you cool even though actual navy seals mostly use GShocks and shit like that

>wearing on the right
Yeh, that says it all.

Ah ok thanks.

Have you tried wearing the amphibia with a nato strap? Is it comfy or unwieldy or would it general not feel right?

>>look how cool this is! you need a 300 page manual just to be able to figure out what time it is

I don't think anyone buys a 280k watch because they need to know the fucking time.

I used to but the 710 is kinda big for my bitch wrist, wearing a nato makes the case look taller and therefore visually bigger.

nice Grand Seiko homage

Grand Seiko is fine too as long as you get a quartz and not one of those stupid fucking Spring Drive shitters

Divers are as the name implies, designed to be used for diving, put under a lot of stress, made to resist impacts and otherwise harsh conditions, this tends to lend them to being made of stronger materials with more thoroughly applied finishes. They're more robust.

As per the Elapsed time bezel, it's something that you either get and find useful, or you can understand, but not see a function for it.
You simply crank it around, and wherever you set it to is your new "12 o'clock", a reference point that you can time minutes from. This is useful in real terms for things like, timing food in the oven, or breaks in work. Now, what this does is removes the need for you to remember "Right, I left at 20 past, I've got 45 minutes, so I need to be back at 5 past the hour"
and just leaves you with "I need to be back in 45 minutes".

>essentially no significant advances in mechanical timekeeping since the 1930s
>Except for:
>Incabloc shock protection
>hacking
>automatic winding
>quick set for day and date wheels
>the automatic chronograph
>free sprung balances
>the co-axial escapement
>the multi-axial tourbillon
>vapour deposition parts construction (GS MEMS balance wheels)
>tripling of single-barrel power reserves
>instant day/date change at midnight
>85 years in materials engineering improvements
>constant force escapements
>many MANY complications
>too many more things to list

What did he mean by this?

Kek

>Using the term shitter while not having the slightest idea what it means.
Hello newfriend.

Post lume

>all this ignorance
Pretty much everything on that list either happened in the 30s or earlier, or is irrelevant from the point of view of TIMEKEEPING (as opposed to making the watch more expensive)

>>essentially no significant advances in mechanical timekeeping since the 1930s
>>Except for:
>ETA
>Shitters
>Chinkshit
>ETA shitters in chinkshit cases
>Overpriced everything
>Spare parts restrictions
>Tag Huehue
>HOMOS
>Diplodocus Washington
Mmmm, so progressive

Carnival tritium watch

>Pretty much everything on that list either happened in the 30s or earlier, or is irrelevant from the point of view of TIMEKEEPING (as opposed to making the watch more expensive)
What did he mean by this?

He thinks a watch is for telling the time instead of flexing on instagram.

STOP REPLYING TO B8

>STOP REPLYING TO B8
STOP REPLYING TO B8

>STOP REPLYING TO B8

STOP REPLYING TO B8

>STOP REPLYING TO B8

STOP REPLYING TO B8

>STOP REPLYING TO b8

STOP REPLYING TO B8

>STOP REPLYING TO B8

These threads are turning to shit because we are replying

Their really high-end stuff is sometimes cool. Most of what they do is overpriced and not of very good quality. They just want to sell watches, not actually make good watches.

I'm not going to waste time typing out a point by point analysis of your dumb ass wall of text. Shock protection predates the 1930s and was already becoming fairly common even on affordable watches in the 30s. Reliable automatic winding came out in the 1930s. Free sprung balances, tourbillons, and dumb ass complications do not make the watch more reliable or accurate. The single biggest advancement in horology in the last 200 years was elinvar/nivarox/etc, and that happened well before the 1930s. You are jacking off over stuff that was only added to watches to make them more expensive, ergo more "desirable" because it shows off your purchasing power, which, ironically, is an area in which you are very much lacking.

yay or nay