RX 480 or GTX 1060? I can't seem to decide. The 1060 has more power in dx11 but seems overall weak in dx12 and vulcan...

RX 480 or GTX 1060? I can't seem to decide. The 1060 has more power in dx11 but seems overall weak in dx12 and vulcan. Moreover that 6gb of vram seems kind of not so long lasting compared to 8gb.

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/news/56848/amd-teases-radeon-rx-vega-just-around-corner/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RX 480 8gb.
The 1060 is too locked down for overclocking.
And in general does worse against the RX 480.

Non of there cards will last long because no GPU does. You buy the the one which is the best for NOW.

Needless to say, that's the GTX 1060.

You're wrong in both points.

No you

>buying nvidia
>any year

But what if you want the fastest GPU, user?

Wait for vega

Fucking piece of /waitfag/ shit. If people are constantly waiting for the next model, people would never buy anything. There are /waitfags/ actually waiting for the gtx 2000 series ffs

RX480 is better and cheaper than the 1060

Here's what's gonna happen.
Everyone on Sup Forums is gonna tell you to get the 480 because it's the better card (and it is).

But what you're gonna do is you're gonna ignore all the advice and buy the 1060 because you've already made the choice in your head and you were just looking for validation.

480, preferably 8GB if you don't upgrade every few years.

1060 is a weaker card overall, but the 480 is hampered by poor drivers placing undue load on the CPU, allowing the 1060 and its better-optimized drivers to shine where the driver needs to do the talking (DX11). With DX12, the shift moves back to the GPU and the driver means less, allowing developers to exploit the raw advantage the 480 has over the 1060.

Maybe if you buy fucking Nvidia like a sheep.

AMD cards last much longer. The 480 is getting rebranded.

Lmao i guess you are one of those sheeps that buy the flagship every generation

No, cuz that would be stupid. You buy the best when you got a very outdated card.

How true is the meme that nvidia gimps their older cards with driver updates? Is planned obsolescence on the green team real? How much would this matter for VFIO GPU passthrough?

OP here. Actually it was the opposite, i was thinking of buying the 480 since I saw for myself that it is somewhat of a better choice, but everyone seemed to shill the 1060 instead. So I asked, here, and now surprise surprise, I am gonna get the 480 as i said first.

Stay away from AMD's shitty reference design unless you absolutely need a blower moving air out of the case rather than inside it, and don't care about worse GPU temps.

Oh so you buy a card and then /wait/ until it gets old and then buy a new one. Sounds like you might be a waitfag. ;>

Get the 1060 6GB dumbass, everyone here's is shilling/trolling for AMD. But the RX 480 is a piece of shit.

I bough a RX 480 4GB ARMOR for a sidegrade from a GTX970, and ended up selling the 480 and kept the meme card.

I still run a GTX 760 and it literally as fast as on launch.

So, no*.

*sample size = 1.

Don't put words in my mouth. You buy WHEN you need. If tomorrow I would need a component, I would go and buy it. Not waiting 6 months for it.

You picked the shittiest, cheapest, smallest 480, and wonder why it was shit? Buying MSI bargain crap was your fault.

What? It never crossed your mind that the GTX 970 might be a better functioning GPU?

>Moreover that 6gb of vram seems kind of not so long lasting
Does it? Maxed out GTA5 tops out around 3GB for me.

>970

you have to remember thought that GTA V was developed in 2013, even though it was ported to PC much later in 2015. Also devs sometimes launch garbage ports that rely on more raw performance rather than actual optimization. That extra vram could make up for it

RX 480

Just buy a rx480, freesync monitors are way cheaper than gsync ones

GTA 5 is a fucking turd of a game that cant do 60fps maxed out on any gpu

Hol up, Vega is (((Just Around The Corner))) guys

tweaktown.com/news/56848/amd-teases-radeon-rx-vega-just-around-corner/index.html

Sure, but it's a open world game with lots of unique and sharp textures.

I feel before 6gb becomes a problem 2060 will be out.

>Moreover that 6gb of vram seems kind of not so long lasting compared to 8gb.
The difference between 6 and 8 isn't that massive today. And in any scenario where a game is really utilizing all 6/8GB, you'd be better off with the 1070 anyway. You might not need to return to system memory as often with more VRAM, but that doesn't mean the chip itself will be performing well. It just won't hit a sharp dropoff as quickly.

I forgot to add, that's if you're ok with 1080p.

>hes to new to remember nvidiots crying for people to wait for fermi, kepler, and maxwell

>ignore all the advice and buy the 3gb """1060""" instead
fixed that for you

> 3gb 1060
absolute shit even the 470 is better, let alone the 480 4gb

I overclocked the core to 1350Mhz and the memory to 9000Mhz, so I admit that the memory overclocked pretty good. But my point is that the "shittiest version" I had like you said, it was OCed to the max, pretty much to Nitro 8GB levels. And still, the performance wasn't that great compared to my overclocked GTX970. Also I had several issues with emulation (Cemu) which I mostly use.
So yeah, I had to keep my fucking meme card. Also there were other issues with the new AMD drivers.

considering the 1060 is better in 5 of the 6 major AAA games this year by quite some distance, that's the obvious choice. muh tflop and muh finewine can't help if most games have gameworks.

>3.5
>better functioning than anything

at least the 480 doesn't lie about its ram

>Major AAA gaymes
all trash

>thread is about which is better for games
>facts suggest 1060 is better this year
>"g-games don't c-count"

>all triple a social justice infused gaymes are the only games

>trusting amd drivers to work with indie titles
>trusting amd drivers to work with lesser known mmo's

amd still haven't fixed the flickering water driver bug in ESO.

What the fuck even uses DX12 or Vulkan?
Doom? BF1?
Even BF1 runs worse on DX12 (Mantle feel).

Just get a 1060 if you can afford it.
If you can't, get the 480.

Had a similar dilemma, but since they were around the same price, and no one uses Vulkan/DX12, I went 1060. Lovin muh Ciri waifu's hair.

>MMO's
complete autism and full of chinks and hues

>trusting amd drivers
>AMD HAS SHIT DRIVERS TRUST ME GOYIM
why do i have a feeling that you have absolutely no fucking idea what you are talking about

i don't know about 480 drivers and by the looks of it they're probably decent because they release day 1 updates for rx 480 and new games now, however i still have vivid memories of crimson launching when i had my 390. most games would crash all the time. gta 5 wouldn't run for more than 30 mins to 2 hours without crashing. i had to run in dx10 mode for like 6 months before they finally fixed it.

also,
>games don't count!

stop repeating yourself.

i have a 290x and games never crashed, also gta 5 is a fucking awful port

So you are too stupid to use a amd gpu, fantastic

>it's all a lie and conspiracy!
>amd have never made any bad drivers ever!
>it's all the consumers fault, amd can't do anything wrong!

quit the delusion. it's a well documented fact the 390 had problems with crimson.

and i never had any of those, stop being delusional, nvidia's driver have been way worse in both the past and the present

>and i never had any of those

so because

1. you own a whole different gpu
2. never had those problems

it means they never occurred and/or were a massive issue plaguing owners of r9 390? this guarantee's you're a paid amd shill. i'm all for amd but it's people like you who make us all look like idiots.

>290x and 390 are differnet gpus
are you retarded?

>le paid to have a opinion

>he unironically thinks the 290x was rebranded to the 390
>what is the 290

still same gpu, same core, same architecture

its a gimped version of the same gpu

The 1060 will be gimped.

What's the most compact rx480 /470 ?
I have room for 20-22 cm lenght max (7.8-8.6 inches)

more than 22 (8.6 inch) and i'll reach the drive bays.Not a real problem, i have room there, but it'll look messy and will get cramped

I can get a 1060 mini (around 20cm) but they cost more than the 480.(at least here in 23%vat land)

The ideal would be 1050ti size, but this card is less powerful than the 1060 or even the 470

The 480 8gb
> I hit over 6gb Vram in tomb raider on 1080p
>480 getting rebranded. Will be supported longer.

I had a 7850 2gb before and that shit was supported and still optimized after 6yrs. I see this trend happening again with the 400 series given rebrands.

Either will work.

the smallest is Sapphire's at 230mm

I don't know.

Would you rather buy Pajeets meme card for poorfags or play The Way it's Meant to be Played.

Have to agree with on this one.

Bought 7970 on it's launch when 1080p was the 1440p of our time and never looked back. It still plays every game on medium to ultra at 60 fps easily gonna buy vega if it offers 1080 performance or go with 1080ti if it doesn't.

On the 480 vs 1060 thing, you are objectively wrong. Cards trade blows at Dx11 while 480 wins in Dx12 easily. There is no question that 480 is the better card.

nigga he's exactly right. why would anyone buy a "future proof" $200 card? it doesn't matter which one you buy because they'll both be shit in 3 years time. he's perfectly right when he says get the best card right now. your 7970 is a whole different story and cost $600 on release.

Gtx 1060

decided to give AMD a try and went for a rx480

everything is fine. feels good to be able to max everything at 60fps again even with my ancient i7 950

I have an RX480. they are almost the same except one major thing: the rx480 has better OSS linux support and the 1060 has CUDA.

If openCL wont get better until my next buy cycle ill get an NVIDIA

4gb or 8gb?

On most newer tittles Rx480 performs better. The better games get at multi-threading the better it will become. So, Rx 480 is the better card now. I do agree that both of them are 2 year usage cards at best.

4gb one got 7ghz memory speed while 8gb got 8ghz. Most cards in this generation are memory bandwidth starved so there is actually a tangible performance difference between the 4gb and 8gb even with low vram usage. I got the sapphire nitro+ 4gb version and its memory overclocked just fine to 8.6ghz(2150x4). It also has samsung memory while others companies have used micron/hynix memory on the 4gb version. I think my card is actually a bios locked 8gb to 4gb card. Its actually faster than gtx 1060 at 2.15ghz in most dx11 games when running above 1420mhz core clock.

The RX480 is like half the price of the 1060 where I live. Sorry Jews.

Let's see the asic, fuccboi

Quite bad, actually. Still runs okay at 1430.

Lel mine is like 69

>same speed
>8gb ram
>free adaptive sync
>cheaper in many cases, at least here in EU

the fuck are waiting for? Unless you spend 10 hours a day playing one game which favors the 1060, get the RX480.

Oh, oh, or maybe wait two weeks, the RX580 is out soon. It's a RX480 rehash with slightly higher clock speed and tweaks. If it isn't impressive, you can probably find a cheap RX480 on clearance then

>On most newer tittles Rx480 performs better. The better games get at multi-threading the better it will become. So, Rx 480 is the better card now. I do agree that both of them are 2 year usage cards at best.

it's not though. see

1060 is better out of the box and you can actually overclock it, unlike the 480. I have a 480 and it is absolute shit.

That was at launch. In AMD's usual fashion they get their optimizations in over the next few months with optimizations for big new released as they come out rather than in one big lump at release and then per-game when new games come out like Nvidia does.

Is it a gigabyte card? Post asic.

Go for the 1060, AMD's drivers suck dick. My last AMD gpu was nothing but headaches and problems until I actually got rid of it.

It's the sad reality, I know the shills will come out and say that I'm full of shit but I don't care. Go Nvidia, don't fall for the amdmeme.

I get it, rooting for the underdog is cool and all that... until you spend hours troubleshooting issues with a piece of shit gpu.

this post is so wrong it needs more replies pointing out how wrong it is

no. the 1060 wins in for honor, ghost recon, mass effect, halo wars 2, sniper elite 4 etc

these are all recent games

Sapphire; not at home right now but ASIC is ~69% iirc.

AMD intentionally gimp their cards at launch and you have to wait at least 6 months to get to use them wholly, why would you support such practices?

Sorry to hear that you had issue user. But your past experience is irrelevant to the current gpu generation. AMD has finally got their shit together when it comes to drivers.

im not sure about you but theres VERY little gain from overclocking memory. i mean less than 1fps so i dont see much of a point in overclocking it seeing as it bumps the voltage by quite a bit
at least on my 390 it does

I only buy superior Nvidia products because they fit in my ass just right.

>Non of there cards will last long because no GPU does

Still using my 290X more than three years later. Still outperforms both of these meme cards in many games.

THANK YOU BASED HAWAII

The market is moving to 1440p/4K, so I think any of those cards will be plenty for 1080p for a long ass time.

I run at 2150 megahertz, stock clocks are around 1700 so it's a great overclocker you nigger

I don't buy failed GPUs binned to the poor man

Both the 480 and 1060 are fully-enabled chips though.

Mine's at 2070 It's locked down as fuck via voltage and you know it.

>RX 480
>GTX 1060
I like the GTX 480.

can you post your oc with the (you) in the back?

Yeah.
Only hit's 55c.

So you got anything to add?
Or did you pass out when you saw your get?

The 480 will only give you 2-3 fps (mostly) when you OC the mem. It's the bandwidth starved 1060 that can get up to 10 fps when you bump the mem

How did you get your temps that low?

I have bought a RX480 MSI.

Tbh the main reason you go for this card, is the monitor you are using or gonna use.

G-Sync is a very expensive feature.

I don't know. Just happened one day.

>gtx 480
You defy death everyday.

i dont think you could go wrong with either.
both have strong points but both have their issues.