/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Potato Edition

NOTE: Ryzen 5 next month so hold off on your purchase for potential intel price drops

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Add a SSD even for budget builds, it's easier to add HDD later than replacing OS drive.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, GTX1060 6GB, RX480.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qbn8sJ
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z9nyRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/VQgFyf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Entry build for games like GW2, indies, maybe The Forest, Divinity: Original Sin 2, etc.

Is this good?

yes

Wait can a potato really work like that?

yeah you didnt know a potato can generate electricity?

half of portal 2 was about a potato computer

That's good except...
...Cheap EVGA PSUs suck ass. Get a Seasonic like the M12II or Rosewill PSU. They make some of the best cheap PSUs now days.
...that motherboard seems expensive. Does it have something in particular you really need?
...$181 for an RX470 is insane. You can get an 8GB RX480 for that. I've seen RX470s as cheap as $110.
...why not just spend $130 for a 475-525GB SSD instead of $130 for the small SSD and larger HDD? Just add a 1TB HDD in later when you need more storage unless you need it now.

Don't buy a decent LGA1151 motherboard in a budget build for the sake of an upgrade path when that socket is going away soon.

Also, and this one is big: the FX-8300 is insanely cheap right now. $90 or less. That probably makes it the best budget option with a motherboard that gets you a 4Ghz+ overclock.

Otherwise, that's a better build than 95% of what people post in these threads.

>rosewill
at least specify that only their new ones are good you fucking retard. their older shit is a 100 times worse than that EVGA unit

>consider a shit tier FX cpu in current year instead of a ryzen that's coming next month that will blow out the old FX shit out of the water

please never come back to this board ever again

Obviously I mean their newer ones.

Cheapest R5 is $170.

R5 is good for anyone considering an i3(which should be no one) or i5. Whereas the FX-8300 overclocked is good for anyone considering a lower i3(which should be no one) or G4560 since it'll get 90fps+ averages in many newer games that the G4560 struggles to get 60 in.

If I buy an AM4 board now, will I need to update uefi before I can use a R5 or is the support there out of box?

Ryzen 3 also coming, you oblivious tard. Stop trying to make people buy a fucking dead socket. The only reason to buy a fucking FX 8 core would be extreme budget for rendering video or something, for everything else it's a fucking terrible purchase.
Also, it's only viable to buy that shit second hand for even cheaper cost since a ton of those people will probably upgrade to Ryzen now.

R7 and R5 and R3 are all the same family chips so no you dont have to do shit. It's not an update architecture like Skylake -> KabyLake intel did with z170 and z270. why would you even think this?

Because all mobo manufacturers only list the R7 cpus as supported. Also kaby lake was not an architecure update. Kaby Lake is Skylake-refresh.

Did I do good?

what kind of temps should I be looking at with an i5 7600 (k but not overclocked yet) with a cryorig H7 cooler? I tried prime95 and I reached 70 degrees after about 10 minutes. Idle is around 30 degrees.

I'm thinking I didn't use enough thermal paste.

And? Ryzen3 isn't coming for like 6 months and will still be much more expensive than an FX-8300 is now.

You're a fucking moron, some dumb shit who can't thick logically for themself, if you can't understand what a budget build is and how not everyone can simply spend $100 more on a motherboard and CPU when they don't really need it.

I'd say you're the one that shouldn't be on this board like you tried to tell me, but apparently you fit right in with these other morons.

This person is talking about a system with a $60 G4560, you stupid piece of shit. The cheapest Ryzen 3 is more than double that. And it looks like the cheap A320 motherboards are going to be OEM only. You can get a

>Because all mobo manufacturers only list the R7 cpus as supported
No, they list RYZEN as supported, RYZEN is all R3 R5 and R7 chips. Plus there will be APU chips coming aswell, all running on all AM4 motherboards.

>Also kaby lake was not an architecure update. Kaby Lake is Skylake-refresh.
with some changes, aka update.

no

the dumb illogical shit is you suggesting a fucking FX in 2017 when even a fucking G4560 will be a better option for everything except rendering shit. go look at some fucking benchmarks.

>ryzen 6 not coming for 6 months
2nd half is july, faggot

buying a new FX today is retarded.
stop posting and KYS

>6600k
No. Just wait for Ryzen 5 if you can't afford a 7700k. The 1600X is so much better than the 6600k.
An overclocked 6600k is still worse than having a decent number of threads.

Spending over $150 for only 4 threads in 2017 is fucking retarded, senpai.
Don't believe the "nothing is multithreaded still" shills.

Not him, but he has a valid point. Bulldozer/Piledriver was a fucking mistake.

t. Just upgraded from 8350 to r7.

>Don't believe the "nothing is multithreaded still" shills.
This, we had the same thing with single core vs dual core, dual core vs quad core etc...

rx 470 are ~200 € here in naziland

>can't thick logically

I don't disagree, man. Bulldozer was a huge mistake.
But an FX-8300 that can overclock to 8350-8370 levels for under $90 is still a good deal compared to a G4560.

But honestly you can't go wrong with either. They're fairly close in gaming. The 8 core FX overclocked over 4Ghz is better in some games, but worse in others. The big downside is heat and power consumption.

One thing I notice in a lot of benchmarks like GTAV is that the FX is only about 55-65% utilized while delivering the same FPS as the G4560 that's 95-100% utilized.
That means a bit (I won't say a lot because it's probably the FPUs being near 100% utilized still) of power left over for some other applications in the background to not tank your framerates.

It looked like US prices to me in that picture. I doubt you can get a G4560 for $60 in Canada or Australia.

170 bucks is almost 3 times what the g4560 is. It's unbeatable. Ryzen will give some more performance but cost more than double that.

>2x the cores and threads is "some more"

nigger get a fucking grip on reality.

AM3+ is dead socket, if he gets a G4560 he has upgrade possibility later.
If he gets an FX he has zero upgrade options and will end up spending more money in the long run because he also has to replace RAM and MOBO.

The G4560 beats the FX or is equal in everything except highly threaded work tasks like rendering.

The Ryzen 3 will have options in the same price range, will have upgrade options later without having to get new RAM and MOBO, and it will be 4 core minimum and Ryzen is at least 40% faster PER CORE than FX.

The ONLY legit situation to buy a fucking FX today is if you buy USED SECOND HAND for RENDERING.

As long as the background application isn't watching something. Watching anything will tank your fps in GTAV from my experience with a fx-8350 @ 4.6 GHz. But it struggles to run GTAV regardless, it hold back pretty much any relevant GPU on the market

Yeah, that's where the biggest faults are: heat, power, and shit single core performance. It's not all that bad though, as that most games set the 8350 as the "recommended" requirements so if he really wanted to, he can. His upgrade path would be fucked though, and anything better he would have to go through the same process.

To be honest i checked logical increments and it said b250 pc mate from MSI. Theres a shitton of marginally different motherboards and i really don't know what to pick.

My logic is this: Wait for R5, if Intel cuts the price of the 7700k by at least $80 i'll go with that, otherwise i'll grab a 1500X and buy a PCI-E M.2 for OS drive with the same money and probably still be happy.

Hey guys, I am selling my Radeon r9 390 and was wondering what would be a fair price to sell it at. Its was only used for 6 months before it was taken out.

that's about same performance as RX480 now right? so a bit less than what those go for.

btw why sell it before Vega is out?

Yeah and I kind of hit some hard times and need the cash to get me through the next month until I start my new job so my whole pc is being parted out.

that sucks. u cant borrow some money from someone?

Man thats sad.
Here in germany even our niggers get so much welfare money they walk around with iphones.

So you're basically saying to wait for R3/5?
I kinda wanted to build it mid April.

R5 is coming next month so it should be possible in your time frame.

>I kinda wanted to build it mid April.
I don't think R3 is that far away. The R7 got released 26 days ago, R5 gonna release in 14 days (and quite a lot already have been sold), i'd expect the R3 to release mid June

Is Ryzen even worth considering now that we know that AMD fucked up hard with the CCX modules? Even the R5 series are going to have 3+3 and 2+2 CCX modules meaning they are going to have the same shitty low bandwidth problem that cannot be fixed because it's a hardware limitation. Sure you can slap some high speed memory on your board which will partially fix the problem but not completely.
Knowing all this, why would you as a gaymer still consider Ryzen? I'm not trying to troll or bait I am seriously asking as someone who wants to build a new gaming PC in the next few months,

>Is Ryzen even worth considering now
yes.
>now that we know that AMD fucked up hard with the CCX modules
but they didnt

>why would you as a gaymer still consider Ryzen?
because it's almost the same performance as Intel for much cheaper.

wtf is wrong with ram. 30% increase in prize over the last couple months? will they drop or keep going up?

>Is Ryzen even worth considering now that we know that AMD fucked up hard with the CCX modules?

Why don't you just wait a couple weeks to find out? I think it's going to be fine, just lacking a bit of ST performance compares to Kaby Lake.

1700 or wait for the 1600x?

Although I do some light video editing and Adobe work having a higher stock speed with the 1600x seems like a bit of a advantage for playing games.

Also are Gigabyte mobos considered good?

factory burned down. probably keep increasing now that ryzen is out and the demand for DDR4 is up.

wait. yes.

Phones, also lots of people building new computers. More demand than supply. Funny that Ryzen brings cheaper CPU's, but the surge of people adopting will raise the prices of other components. You just can't win.

would you recommend buying now? I will not build my computers for many weeks though...

Cool, grazie.

>You just can't win.

Same in my country. They tell us to consume less energy. We do that, what do they do? They raise the energy costs so they get their money back.

i cant honestly say.

Let me guess, Canada?

I know that feel.

Unfortunately I don't get along with my family and most of my friends are well off enough where I feel comfortable/ok asking them to lend me money.

Let me go live with you so I can get on your welfare. I promise not to be lazy.

Cheap RX470 price or less.

DDR4 3400 with 16-18-18-38 Latency

or

DDR4 3200 with 14-14-14-34 Latency ?

aren't well*

For gaming? 1600X seems like it's going to be by far the best performance/$ cheap that's also decently futureproof and still good for multitasking.

For workstation? 1700.

And yes it seems like only Asus is having problems. People are seemingly loving the ASRocks and apparently the B350 Tomahawk is great as well.

It won't be until Spring that DDR4 prices drop, I believe.

the cheaper one.

The later, duh. 8.75 vs 9.411 is almost 1ns difference.

Whoever makes these fucking threads needs to put the formula for calculating latency in the damn OP.

For Ryzen, higher speed but higher latency can be beneficial to increase interconnect speeds, but I don't think so when there's that big a difference in latency.

>Same performance
>Much cheaper
You're joking right? Even de 1800X doesnt compare to the 7700K in gaming benchmarks, especially in DX12 games where the 1800X shits itself completely which is because of the CCX problem since workload is more evenly spread across the cores making the bandwidth latency very noticeable. And since we are moving towards more DX12 and Vulkan games this problem is going to be more a concern as we go on.
So again, why would I buy a Ryzen CPU knowing all this? Because Ryzen 5 is most definitely going to suffer from the same problem.

go look at simulated R5 tests. the sub $200 ryzen chips compete very good in most games with i5 and even i7

pcpartpicker.com/list/qbn8sJ

Not sure about this. Already have a gaming rig running 1080p at 144hz/fps quite smoothly and not sure if this rig is able to do the same at 1440p. However, my budget is pretty much this. What do you guys think?

i5 and 1070 will most likely struggle to run stuff at 1400p@144

will an i5 & 1080 do the trick maybe? Am willing to spend a few bucks extra if that will do it

the better GPU you have the more frames you will get and the more the CPU will be strained. you want an i7 if you want to be sure to get the framerate for 144hz

I sure hope it's gonna be as good as this simulated test user. I am so tired of Intel but the Ryzen 7 benchmarks have got me skeptical.

Damn. Thought i read the real-world difference between the i5 and i7 was almost 0 when looking at gaming. But thanks for the input user!

You could if you had a 7600K and OC'd that bitch, but a regular i5 7500 won't be enough for 144hz.

that's because you're just as retarded as the intel fanboys for comparing a workstation cpu vs a mainstream cpu in non-threaded tasks.

it's not, but it's highly dependant on the games you play. but more and more games can see benefits with more cores/threads to help prevent dropping frames in intense gameplay where lots of shit happens.

you should really check out some benchmarks for the two CPUs you're considering and the 1070 vs 1080 specifically for 144hz 1440p, there's plenty of them out there.

I do have the 7600K.

Thanks, will do!

Unlike AMD which was proudly prancing their 1700X vs the 7700K in BF1 benchmarks at tech conferences and calling it the next CPU for gamers right? :^)
You don't get to market it as the next solution for gaming but when it shits the bed say BUT MUH WORKSTATION CPU

Am I missing something? Why r5 for gaming? Isn't the r5 1600k similar to the r7 1700 with less cores/threads?

Then there is no problem, OC that bitch to 4.6-4.8 and you will be good to go.

>notdisshittoagen.anime
they marketed it as a "prosumer" chip that was excellent for work AND good at gaming. "AND" being the keyword here.
R7 competes mainly with intel X99 which is workstation-tier.
R5 will compete in the mainstream bracket with i5 and i7.
R3 is budget bracket vs i3.

You can keep using retarded flawed logic and pitting one bracket against another but it doesnt change the fact Ryzen is good for gaming for cheaper than Intel.

Yes, R5 costs much less than R7. You don't need 8 cores for gaymen.

>not comparing to the 7350k, 7500, and 7600k.

Seriously, fuck Linus, and fuck you dumb fucks that shill for him.

The 1600X isn't going to beat the 1800X in games.

It's just going to perform 95% as well on average for half the cost.
Which means it'll be better than the 7600k and other i5s on average. The only thing better than it on average will remain to be CPUs like the more expensive 7700k, 1800x, 6900k.

That just makes it worse cus you can OC every Ryzen CPU.

You're over exaggerating the issue. Ryzen are still very powerful chips, similar to i5 level of ipc.
i5 ipc on 8 cores is beastly. You might consider Ryzen trash, but they aren't. A gamer would consider a Ryzen if he wants a fuckton of headroom to multitask while having a game running.
I personally run GTA V alongside emulators (wii u / wii) or other games (dmc4) and play those during loading times
I doubt a 7700k would handle that

>intel
>2017

don't even bother with that shit

This picture sums up well how modern games simply need 8 threads if you want around 100fps minimum in most of them.

The only difference between the 7600k and 7700k there is HT, which accounts for a massive difference in both averages and the differnce between the minimum and average.

Spending $150+ for a 4 thread CPU is mind numbingly retarded and the whole i5-7400, 7500, 7600k, etc, shouldn't exist.
The sole reason they /do/ exist is that a great many peoples' stupidity creates a market for them which allows Intel to charge even more for the 7700k.

Benchmarks for many other games look similar now days.

Much better.

I've seen these before. But yeah, fuck Linus.

Can't wait to get my 1600X.

yep

even funnier is it was an intel shill that linked this video and only one of 4 games had intel come out on top

The other thing is that I bet in many of these games like BF1, the 7600k is at 98-100% utilization on all 4 threads while the 1600X I doubt is over 85%, given how it looks when you compare the 7700k and 1800X in that game.

Getting that good of FPS while being poorly utilized means you'll more often still get that same performance with stuff running in the background rather than a sterile benchmarking environment, and shows the overhead left for more performance as well once it's actually utilized well.

why are sata SSDs as expensive as M.2 ones?
I bought a sata one I thought this fancy PCI stuff would be hella expensive I didn't even look at it...

now my upgrade feels bittersweet

it also helps prevent frames from dropping in intense situation

you're looking at it the wrong way. m.2 is as CHEAP as SATA SSDs.

Will my build work? I've already ordered a few things

shitty bait

yes, you buy now

>1500 dollars of gaymer brand ram
>30 dollar gpu
>1600w psu

R8 or H8 my do everything build Sup Forumsents.

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Z9nyRG

Anything your PC can do, my PC can do better.

It just works.

stop feeding the troll, you fucking retard.

but then i wouldn't have a reason to post my funny meme

You don't get comment karma here, stop posting fucking shit

Looks good. Buy two.

How does this look for a modest casual gaming and home-working PC?
pcpartpicker.com/list/VQgFyf

I just want to be able to play some newer titles if I want and I primarily work from home - 3 days at home 2 in office but nothing demanding. Mostly just emails and various mailing software that is slow no matter what computer it's on since my work's network & ftp the software goes through is shit.

I'm currently on a pretty antique build I did many years ago, can't even remember.
>AMD Phenom II 965 3.4ghz
>Gigabyte 890 FXA Mobo
>4gb 1333mhz Kingston DDR3 ram
>320GB WD HDD
>WD 1TB HDD(will move to new build)
>XFX 8800GTS
>650W XFX PSU

basically at this point far outdated for anything modern & demanding but still quick enough to play some current games on low settings but it has been showing its age the last 3-5 years.

>64gb
you're not even putting effort into your bait, are you

kys~

Mobo needs BIOS update before it can use that CPU and you cant update without a CPU installed in most boards. Change to B250 chipset.
Keep the PSU from your old PC and save some money.

stop feeding the troll you retarded cunt

nice potato btw hhahahahh nc one user

:D