Backups

How do you do backups Sup Forums?

Do you backup all the data you own, just stuff necessary for a running OS, or just data files?

I personally write a disk image of my 2TB SSD Raid0 array to a 6TB HDD Raid5 array every monday morning. Aside from that, I have a NAS that contains all my data files, and it has 4 4TB drives in it with a Raid5 configuration.

How about you guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

global.download.synology.com/download/Document/WhitePaper/Synology_RAID_F1_WP.pdf
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Macs backup to Time Capsule
>iThing backup to Macs... whenever someone remembers to plug them in

I don't have a backup solution for my Android devices.
Nor my multi-TB NAS.

I made my peace with essentially ignoring an entire drive in my NAS for the added data integrity of RAID 5.

for the most important stuff:
rsync -av --delete -e ssh ~/Documents/stuff/ [email protected]:~/Backup/stuff/

cron runs this daily:
rsync -av --delete ~/Backup/ /media/pi/sda1/Backup/

On windows I let it make a backup every week to another hard drive.

>not mirror-striped zfs
what's going to happen when you have 2 drive failures?

What if you fat finger something?

Yes TimeMachine is god tier backup system

I have 4 drive bays, and need more than 8TB of storage.

If a single drive goes out, (or just throws SMART errors), i'll pull it, pop in a new one, and the RAID will rebuild itself in a matter of hours.

Yes, I suppose there is the very slim possibility of a second drive failing, but I guess that's a risk I'm going to have to take.

Eh, that is the only real risk with doing backups how I do. If I fuck up the system somehow without realizing it for a week, my backup is fucked.

I'm honestly not as concerned about that as I am with a drive going out and losing productivity time. The reason I do image backups is to reduce the time it takes me to get back up to speed from faulty hardware. I generally reinstall my OS every few months, so accidentally fucking up the install itself isn't that big of a deal to me.

I make a BTRFS snapshot of my SSDs in laptopt and desktop and rsync them to a HDD on the desktop. I do this each 1-4 weeks.

rsnapshot all my servers with sensitive data to a dedicated storage server
rsnapshot is bretty gud

Crown that runs backup scripts weekly. The scripts do targeted backup of important data like pictures and music to internal HDDs that are only.mounted during backup. I also do backups to external hdd a few times a year. Movies and TV shows take up too much space so I don't back them up.

>BTRFS
Guinea pig detected.

It's 2017, BTRFS is OK.

yeah, you should try their raid5

Kek

I perform a daily image based incremental backup of my 1TB SSD R0 to an external 2TB 2,5" drive.

Software (only Windows) is free as in you don't have to pay for it.

Veeam Endpoint Backup

Their enterprise solution for virtualized servers is excellent aswell.
Yes there's support vor Linux

That looks interesting, user. I'll have to check that out.

I've only been using the built in backup tools.

Yes do that.
Oh and support (if you need it, since error event are rare and usually you'll find something in the knowledgebase) ist free aswell

Only truly safe method of backing up is printing out.

prove me wrong.

suddenly your house is on fire.... wat do?

I don't get it, this thread was going fine. Why bother coming in here and shitposting? Aren't there plenty of other threads where you can do it in?

Rsnapshot running on my NAS. It backups my PC, Laptop and Smartphone over SSH hourly if available in my local home network.

>hourly

That seems excessive. I'd be worried about disk failure happening much sooner than normal.

Relevant to this thread, I suppose:

global.download.synology.com/download/Document/WhitePaper/Synology_RAID_F1_WP.pdf

I bought a synology nas recently, and was reading about there new SSD raid configurations. It is pretty interesting stuff. Worth a read.

I agree partly. A python script checks, hourly (16-23), if the devices are available in my local network.
It's not about the hourly backup, it's more about the increased possibility to at least backup each device daily. If my Laptop is only powered between 17 and 19 it wouldn't backup if I'd run the backup only once a day at 20 o'clock.

Do you refer to to the increased failure rate because my drive spins up every hour?

Ah, that makes more sense. You really mean that you have a "backup time range" and it polls every so often in that range to do a backup. Seems reasonable.

As far as increased failure rate, spin up/down cycles are a part of it, but really any read/write ops are a hit against the life.

Yes, they might be microscopic, but hey, I guess I just like to concern myself with the worst case scenario.

I myself don't care that much about the HDD wear. If the NAS crashes, I still have the data on my PC, if the PC crashes I have the data on my NAS.

And once or twice a year I push the most valuable data (encrypted) to the cloud. So even if my flat burns down I still have a backup.

I can't wait to get google fiber in my townhouse so that I can do proper cloud backups.

I'd blow through my comcast data cap so quick my head would spin.

Hehe, Sure RAID5/6 is shittier at the moment but BTRFS is pretty cool.

Where do you plan to store your cloud backup?

At the moment I use the 15GB from Google Drive. If I need more, I'd probably switch to Amazon Glacier. Is there an better alternative?

Backblaze is pretty good, from what I hear. But I'll probably just go with glacier, to be honest.

It always seems really fishy if something is offered for a price which can't be cost-covering at all.
I'll stay with Glacier, but thanks for the suggestion.

The making backups only deals with half of the problem.
What plans do you have for the restore side of things?

Only backups up certain directories,
so the restore side is easy - just copy the files back into the same place.

But what about those people that do full disk backups?
If you make a install (because your old computer died, or you decided change os, etc) then are you manually fishing things out of your backup image to copy into your new system?

I'm thinking of setting up a NAS and giving everyone a share on it.
I'll say: "if it's important, if you want it to be backed up, put it on the NAS".
That way, reinstalling/changing computers/os becomes easier - people just need to reconnect to their share.

Thoughts?

I've been usinig btrfs for years on multiple boxes but I've just got my btrfs laptop shit itself. People in #btrfs said that is looks like a bitflip on memory or some memory leak to btrfs. And guess where the bitflip was in?

Metadata, and half of my shit got corrupted. Be fucking careful with btrfs.

ext4 is life, ext4 is love.

I think the whole point of full disk backups is not to make a new install. You just clone your backup on a new hdd/sdd.

Changing your os takes the same effort as without backup. You will be fishing out the important things out of your previous system with or without backup.