/cyb/ General

/cyb/ General
C-Beam edition

Previous thread: These threads are for discussion of all things Cyberpunk, from movies, TV, websites, games, and even current events.
Related topics range from fashion, to personal security and anonymity, to alternative and creative hardware, and much more.

>What is cyberpunk?
Cyberpunk is a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

>>> Resources >> Old Pasta

Other urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2017/03/28/house-vote-sj-34-isp-regulations-fcc/
techcrunch.com/2017/03/28/heres-all-the-new-stuff-in-apples-security-document/
arstechnica.com/business/2017/03/elon-musk-is-setting-up-a-company-that-will-link-brains-and-computers/
foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/20/walmart-wants-to-deploy-in-store-drones.html
wired.com/2017/03/protect-icloud-account-juuuuust-case/
money.cnn.com/2017/03/27/technology/whatsapp-encryption-london-attack/
eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1331529&
techcrunch.com/2016/05/07/the-next-stop-on-the-road-to-revolution-is-ambient-intelligence/
john-shirley.com/blog/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

aesthetic++

>unity
>grey city
>cheap keyboard
>smarthwatch
This is the worst/best kind cyberpunk.

It's the real life cyberpunk (at least in the west)
Sometimes I don't know if fantasy or reality is more comfy, but even if you live in the country a little rain and a good cyberpunk book/movie/game can go a long way

Do you think it's a good thing that there is no central cyberpunk hub and instead are a bunch of separate irc channels, chans, subreddits, this thread, randos on twitter, etc each with their own subculture and memes?

Also are normies trying to be cyb now and should we be wary of corporate media exploitation and subversion e.g. new pork in the shell, br remake, matrix remake ...

this picture is my life goals. comfy, obviously have it made to have an apartment like that in NYC, aesthetics, the whole thing is what i want my life to be like. 25 isnt too old to dream of when i "grow up" is it?

>wanting to live in a extremely contaminated, over populated, overly expensive shithole filled with assholes and snobs

is blade runner really cyberbunk, in the conventional sense? it alludes to traditional scifi/space opera elements, even if those aren't shown on-camera.

A good a time as ever I say, at this age you can actually know what you want and how to get it. Consider though. New york is dirty and smelly and filled with cocroaches and all that scrap.

I think everything that you said is very cyb, including the part about cyberposers.

log off, chummer

>The U.S. House of Reps votes to repeal ISP privacy regulations, leaving only the president standing in the way of Internet Service Providers being able to legally sell user's browsing history without their consent.
techcrunch.com/2017/03/28/house-vote-sj-34-isp-regulations-fcc/

>Apple opens up the use of iOS's Touch ID to third party app developers.
techcrunch.com/2017/03/28/heres-all-the-new-stuff-in-apples-security-document/

>Elon Musk setting up a company that plans to work to connect brains and computers.
arstechnica.com/business/2017/03/elon-musk-is-setting-up-a-company-that-will-link-brains-and-computers/

>Wal-Mart files patent for using drones within its own stores.
foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/20/walmart-wants-to-deploy-in-store-drones.html

A hacker collective calling themselves the Turkish Crime Family claims that they will infiltrate 200 million iCloud accounts if Apple does not pay them a ransom.
wired.com/2017/03/protect-icloud-account-juuuuust-case/

The UK government wants a backdoor in WhatsApp.
money.cnn.com/2017/03/27/technology/whatsapp-encryption-london-attack/

I wasn't being sarcastic

Bump

I've ordered a zsun wifi card reader. I plan to put openwrt on it and run pirate box. I'll be plugging it in whenever I can at university sharing a collection of files I already have. It's probably not going to be utilised at all but I thought it would be a good intro to light software and hardware hacking.

Ideally, I'd like to set these up as dead drops or even as permanent hidden fixtures. Yet to find out how bad the range is though.

We are already living in a cyberpunk dystopia. Every future predicting book/movie has already laid the grounds of which our reality is conforming to.

Which city? Hong Kong?
The buildings seem a bit on the tall side for Tokyo.

>is blade runner really cyberbunk, in the conventional sense?
Conventional in that it defines the mood and ambience. It got in by the grandfather clause.

>it alludes to traditional scifi/space opera elements, even if those aren't shown on-camera.
It alludes to people having left to an off world space opera future and that the people we see are those who remained.

>Sometimes I don't know if fantasy or reality is more comfy, but even if you live in the country a little rain and a good cyberpunk book/movie/game can go a long way

We need a new name for this. Comfypunk is already taken. By that other site.

neo-noir?

I know.

Wintermute is coming. And he will go for the ambience

eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1331529&

techcrunch.com/2016/05/07/the-next-stop-on-the-road-to-revolution-is-ambient-intelligence/

sounds very ennui

That's the modern wageslave life, cyb as shit but so .... not punk.

>Do you think it's a good thing that there is no central cyberpunk hub and instead are a bunch of separate irc channels, chans, subreddits, this thread, randos on twitter, etc each with their own subculture and memes?
Not sure, but I am confident that a central cyberpunk hub would be a contradiction in terms. Back when the newsgroups were active there was plenty of activities on the Future Culture mailing list.

>Also are normies trying to be cyb now
Of course they are. They just don't realise it.

>and should we be wary of corporate media exploitation and subversion
Always but that goes for any era.

What is the cyberpunk for normies? They're not being punks but their acceptance of the global techno overlords is kind of what enables the punks. Cybernormie? I can't easily think of something that was of a cyberpunk-compatible genre that wasn't focused solely on the punk portion.

>What is the cyberpunk for normies?
We all live in a world dominated by megacorps and media. "Fake news" is hot now but teality is that the people has been steeped in cheap propaganda for decades.

> They're not being punks
Correct. "Cyberpunk" is a label attached retrospectively by an outsider to a group that already referred to itself as "The Movement". Thinking cyberpunk = cyber + punk is therefore incorrect.

The only punk I can remember from The Movement is John Shirley. And he sure was a punk. The only reason he didn't OD on drugs was that the record publishers cheated him for payment and he couldn't afford the buy enough. I suspect he was the model for Case.

We should stop being the punks. We should become the technolords.

It is the only way to win against the "cybernormies".

On the biopunk side the hot news is that EPO has granted a patent on CRISPR. It has been a battle and there is an window of opportunity for filing oppositions lasting 9 months. The battle will most likely continue.

Who's John Shirley? Not the Microsoft guy?

writer.

He is a punk artist author and script writer. He wrote much of the script for the Goth epos The Crow.

Lately much of his fiction involves horror. He also wrote a blog that analysed Hollywood movies from the script writing point of view, quite interesting.

He was heavily into drugs, alcohol etc but is now completely sober.

>He also wrote a blog
john-shirley.com/blog/

>a central cyberpunk hub would be a contradiction in terms.
I agree with that, I think that's why I'm fine with the whole thing not being a particularly cohesive 'community', since it involves a certain level of sacrificing anonymity.

>New york is dirty and smelly and filled with cocroaches and all that scrap.
And in London they say you are never more than 10 feet away from a rat. Big cities are a mess. I work in one, it is noisy and polluted and I have to get in to work before 7AM to avoid crushing crowds. I prefer therefore to live well outside the city, in the country side where the main source of noise is birds. There is such a thing as too much cyberpunk dystopia.

(slow thread today, will this survive another day?)

Why even have the general here. the place is full of discord channels and people being apologists for ISPs selling data

Where would you propose?