Apple Watch

Was Apple Watch a mistake?

I don't think so. I'm glad that there was a really widely popularized trial of smartwatches. It gave definitive evidence that industry sci-fi dreams aren't yet aligned with reality.

nothings wrong with the apple watch im glad it, popularized smart watches and they are main stream now.

Yes. They should have realized that the only benefit to having a "smart watch" is the instantaneousness of having it on your wrist and designed all the software on the watch to revolve around an implied "right the fuck now", completely done away with a tiny touch screen and done everything through voice. Instead, we got wrist phones.

>make a shitty Pebble with 1/7th the battery life but OMIGOD TOUCH SCREEEEEENNNN!!!1111
>iwatch sells millions
>Pebble gets bought by fitbit and dumped into the trash despite making the only smartwatch worth a damn

Smartwatches are fucking brilliant but the market is currently Grade A Retarded.

>Buy a normal watch
>Lasts you for life if you take care of it
Vs
>Buy any "smart" watch
>Obsolete in 1-3 years

>1-3 years

I've been wearing my first-gen Apple Watch for two years now, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, the Android Wear watch I owned before that is now obsolete as fuck.

Do you know how I know you don't know anything about the Apple Watch?

Do you know how I know you don't know anything about the Pebble?

I know two people who own a Pebble. The e-paper was a cool touch, and it enabled better battery life and an always-on face, but it looked absolutely ridiculous and it didn't have the same platform integration as something like the Apple Watch.

I don't think so.
I got a regular watch at the time just to fight back the idiocy that is smart watches.
Now I actually enjoy wearing it.

>no end in sight
that's because it was a commercial failure and there will never be another one lol.

Do you know no how now no wow how now ni hao apple watch?

>looked absolutely ridiculous
how so?

how?

...There was already a second line. After the Sport, the line diverged into Series 1 and Series 2. Series 1 was a basic improvement over the original, and Series 2 had swimproofing and GPS.

Yeah, that model made artful use of the bezels. You've still gone and posted the single best-looking Pebble model (by far) in its best-looking moment. Once you're doing something other than seeing the time, you're reminded that the bezels are there, and they're *huge*.

iPhone was a mistake, it turned Apple from the good tier to the shit tier. I'm happy that long ago I installed Linux and got redpilled.

>jobs supposedly figures out the tv problem
>make a fucking watch instead
>and a stylus

unironically what is this fucks plan

Internet was a mistake, it turned mainframes from good tier to shit tier. I'm happy that long ago I installed a giant abacus and got redwoodenballed.

Which smartwatch would Sup Forums recommend?

>Do you know how I know you don't know anything about the Apple Watch?
Because you can sense my superior taste in technology through the internet, clearly.
Why the fuck would I buy garbage?

Have you tried that stylus? It's god damn amazing.

And, for what it's worth, the current-gen Apple TV is just about the best set-top box in existence today. Its only competition is the Shield TV.

>It's god damn amazing.
until you have to charge it, then you wonder what fucking retard engineered it, and immediately realize that the precision of the electronics inside has nothing to do with the company that sells it and you are literally raving over Chinese-produced consumer electronics like everyone in /csg/.

It was just another thing to recharge every night. It didn't have much utility for the typical person. Hefty price tag. Well designed, with a great interface, though.

The Pebble was an excellent take on the smartwatch concept, but the concept just wasn't a thing lots of people really needed or wanted.

I'm sure developers will find interesting ways to use wrist computers. I'm sad Pebble got bought up, but the good news is that the'll now have access to more resources with Fitbit.

The Android-phone-on-a-wrist approach is the dumbest fucking thing

>until you have to charge it, then you wonder what fucking retard engineered it

Uh huh. You sound like you're unaware that you can charge the Apple Pencil from a wall outlet, just like anything fucking else, using the included adapter.

Plugging it into the iPad is an emergency measure for when you're not near an outlet. It's actually rather clever. It means you're never, ever in a situation where your Pencil is dead, but your iPad is still working.

The Pebble Steel looked even better. It's the one I currently use, even though I'm most probably end up getting an Apple Watch, and resigning myself to a watch that doesn't show the hour unless you interact with it. Which is not ideal, let me tell you.

Oh! Of course. Because it wasn't awkward and fragile enough hanging precariously out of the charging port on your tablet, just let it stick 7 inches out of your fucking wall so every living being in your house can have a chance to snap the lightning connector off of it.

Genuis.

>resigning myself to a watch that doesn't show the hour unless you interact with it.

You know, coming from an Android watch that offered an always-on display, I thought the Apple Watch would annoy me in that department, but it doesn't really bother me in practice.

It doesn't stick out of the wall, you god damn retard. It plugs into the end of a Lightning cable, just like anything else does.

>be Apple
>introduce Watch
>become the world's #2 by revenue, second only to Rolex
Yeah, total mistake.

I wouldn't want your shitty Pebble if it was driven by magic and ran forever. How is charging your device every other day even a problem? Do you live in the woods? Do you intend to take it with you on Mount Everest??

Also, there's a slightly flexible gasket between the Lightning connector and the body of the Pencil, which provides some cursory protection against snapping, even when such a situation occurs.

Gah. *the world's #2 watchmaker

I actually quite appreciate the toylike look of the Pebble Classic, it's not as expensive-looking and the polycarb casing is tough as fuck. I also like to work on my car as well as my PC and an Apple Watch or any glass-screen smartwatch cannot survive being knocked around an engine bay like a Pebble can. Not to mention the Pebble Classic can be operated through a sleeve or with regular gloves and has a non-conductive casing, ideal for electrical work.

If you do more with your hands than shitpost, an Apple Watch is useless and overpriced for functionality that is available from competitors for much less. It's a flashy electronic fashion piece and nothing more.

>an Apple Watch or any glass-screen smartwatch cannot survive being knocked around an engine bay like a Pebble can.

You know that sapphire display glass is an option on the Apple Watch, right?

A ceramic body is, too, but that's so expensive that I don't really count it.

how much are you being paid holy shit

I'm not being paid, troglodyte, I just have a preference for informed, factual discourse.

>How is charging your device every other day even a problem?

Because the increased electrical load from having a bright, backlit color screen and high charging cycle count will mean the Apple Watch's battery fails faster, making it useless sooner. How do you even disassemble the thing to replace the battery when it eventually fails like every other chamfered aluminum turd this shitty company sells?

The last-gen Peb has four torx screws on the caseback and the battery is a common configuration that you can get off the internet for about $20. It is piss-easy to repair or replace the components inside. It takes normal watchbands. You can put it on a fucking NATO if you want. Why fuck yourself over with what is clearly an inferior design?

And then, why use a device you have to charge constantly when there are other devices with identical functions offering longer battery life? It's like you just want to pay the premium to have a fruit logo on you somewhere.

>Anonymous gay app
>All the queers know each other
>New guy is trying to get a hand job from a girl lolol

I mean, I still don't want one

Are you mad because fags actually get laid?

Apple Watch Series 2

I just got one. Fucking love it.

>Which smartwatch would Sup Forums recommend?
Casio f-91w

>informed, factual discourse
Then let me tell you this: I have a high respect for Apple and what it used to be. I owned four Powerbook G3s (all three gens) in highschool, and they were cool as hell, pretty damn quick, tough and reliable. I respect the iPhone and the iPod, and the massive market shakeups those devices caused. Our world is better off because this company existed, I'm sure of it.

However, since the death of Jobs, they have gradually shifted into producing devices with less cohesive engineering and leveraging the power of the brand image over the power of the computers they sell. They're still riding the Steve Jobs hype train even though the end of the tracks was 10 miles ago when the conductor decided his cancer could be cured by yoga and herbs.
From an informed consumers' standpoint, the company looks like a fucking wreck and buying their products right now is absolute stupidity.
How the FUCK do you go from producing some of the best-engineered computers in the world to putting a USB charging port on the bottom of a wireless mouse? I want to know who looked at the CAD model for that bullshit and went "Yeah, that's perfect", because they need to be stoned to death with Logitech MX Masters.

Speaking of wristbands: my pebble steel doesn't take standard wristbands and the head of one of the screws broke, so I'm stuck with leather at the moment.

>bottom of a wireless mouse?

That's it? That's what you bring to the table?

They did that with the Magic Mouse because it was the only way to handle it without redesigning the whole fucking thing. Plus, it only has to sit upside down like that for about an hour a month. It's not like it's a daily problem.

You're falling for the retards' memes. Get first-hand experience.

Man if you make smart underwears and call them iUndies they will sell. Still going to buy a tag heuer carrera 1887

>That's it? That's what you bring to the table?
Of course. It's a great example of utterly idiotic engineering that isn't worth the parts it's made of.

> it was the only way to handle it without redesigning the whole fucking thing.
Which is what Job's Apple would have done. It would have been engineered and reengineered and redesigned until the thing could be plugged in and used at the same time. I get they probably had a base or fully wireless charging in mind with the placement of the port, but didn't bother to put those products out with the mouse.
Every other wireless mouse in existence can be used while charging because engineers place the USB port where the cord normally comes out of the mouse. Simple. Effective. There is no conceivable reason to deviate from this design meme because the front is the only part of a mouse that is not covered by hand or desk. Furthermore, how often do you even get a good look at the front-end of your mouse? Who cares what it looks like?
Why compromise usability for a design that is not groundbreaking in any way?
Oh right, because your consumers think they are purchasing a kind of functional artwork, not a computer.
In the Magic Mouse's case, the casing was clearly designed to look good first and the electronics were built around it, with the USB port the biggest afterthought of them all.

>Plus, it only has to sit upside down like that for about an hour a month.
Meanwhile Logitech can make a single, standard AA battery last two years and changing them takes 3 seconds. Their rechargeable wireless mice keep charge for three months or more and again, can be charged while using them. They also take the time to ensure the mousing device fits comfortably in the hand rather than making sure it will look good in marketing. Jony Ive can't design his way out of a paper bag.

>They did that with the Magic Mouse because it was the only way to handle it without redesigning the whole fucking thing.

based apple cost cutting measures

Not particularly. Some people are just scummy dumbasses who use technology to do shit like Grindr.

Something that works with android please.

Nice joke.

Zenwatch 2 is pretty decent. I got one to replace my Pebble last Black Friday when I thought it wouldn't charge, you can have a large always-on screen that's highly visible and the battery can easily last two days with the brightness down. It works nicely as a daily timepiece. People tend to mistake it for an Apple Watch too, and I love seeing their bright faces when I tell them what it is and that they can get one too for a fraction of the cost of the Apple.

But just like any Android device it gets bogged down by having a ton of apps installed and the AW1.0 interface is not great, but it's getting upgraded eventually. It's really annoying to clear notifications, often requiring you to dismiss them more than once. I had to factory reset it once because it became sluggish and unresponsive, but it hasn't given me trouble since.

My next one will probably be a Pebble 2, I'm just concerned Fitbit will can the whole thing after 2017 and I'll be forced to install gentoo on it or something to have a working watch.

>implying implications in an implicit manner
First of all, I don't fucking care who makes the watch - the stupid "Apple customers are sheeple who'd buy everything with the logo on it" refutation is a prime example of the straw man argument. Just because YOU don't see the appeal doesn't mean other people haven't considered the alternatives and still decided to go with the Mac/Watch/whatever. Second of all, like most Apple haters, you keep arguing as if the values YOU consider important are universal and absolute. YOU want to be able to change the battery yourself, so naturally everybody does (or at least should). YOU want the battery to last longer in exchange for a shitty display, so everybody should! After all, the display is less important, right? Except it fucking isn't. I need the display to be as good as possible and it's literally the reason why I could never EVER be happy with the Pebble. But do I call Pebble customers stupid names and question their ability to make informed decisions? NO, because I realize that people have different needs and values and should buy whatever fits them the best - even if I don't get it.

That watch is literally just jewelery and bests even Apple in terms of audaciousness for overpricing stuff - it's incredibly ironic that you can make fun of their customers while proclaiming to pay thousands of dollars for something that keeps worse time than my $100 Eco-Drive.

Smart watches in general were a mistake.
If you need to carry and connect a smartphone to a 'smart' watch then is not so smart.
At the end of the day it's just an extra display of your phone in your wirst.

It's like carrying a laptop with you so you can use your phone.

>- the stupid "Apple customers are sheeple who'd buy everything with the logo on it" refutation
I didn't call anyone a sheep. There are genuinely people who will pay more for Apple products because they trust the brand or appreciate the design, even if a competing device is technically superior. These people get used to the way Apple's interfaces work and keep buying them, even if they are not very good products occasionally. Nothing wrong with that until you start deluding yourself that you own the best smartwatch/cellphone/mp3 player in the world because you paid a lot for it and it looks super cool, which consumers often do with EVERY brand.

> Just because YOU don't see the appeal doesn't mean other people haven't considered the alternatives
I DO see the appeal. It's a fucking sweet-looking watch. And the alternatives are slim, especially if you already have Apple devices that you like. That only makes it the shiniest poo in the loo, and its basic functions are identical to its competitors, so if you're the kind of virtual fool who's gotta have a gadget on your wrist you'd go with the longest-lasting and most cost-effective device, which is generally never an Apple product.

> Second of all, like most Apple haters,
it's not hate, it's the truth, open your fucking eyes.

>want to be able to change the battery yourself
Or have someone do it for me quickly and easily? Or be able to properly recycle the watch and dispose of the battery at the end of its life? Or just have confidence that this device was built in such a way that a human being can disassemble it?
Thank Jobs the Genius Bar doesn't charge for labor like a mechanic. They'd make a fuckin' killing.

>want the battery to last longer in exchange for a shitty display, so everybody should!
Since we're sharing opinions, I happen to find the Game Boy Pocket-like screen of the Pebble very pleasant to look at, especially at night, where the gentle backlight doesn't destroy my night vision.

you know, if UMPCs ever took off, wed've probably ended up with something like that.

> I need the display to be as good as possible
For what purpose? It just wastes energy. what use could you possibly have for high resolution on a screen the size of a postage stamp? Are you going to watch anime on your wrist? Don't get me wrong, I love anime, but there is no reason for high pixel density on something that will spend most of the time getting casually glanced at.

There's a good reason LED-segment watches aren't around anymore, and it's for the same reason the Apple Watch is a bad product. Its only saving grace is that someone invented the Lithium ion battery. Imagine if you had to run it off button cells!

>But do I call Pebble customers stupid names and question their ability to make informed decisions?
I didn't do any of that. The only insults I've thrown have been directed towards Cupertino, and your inability to make informed decisions is readily apparent without me having responded at all.

this. it fucking annoys me having shit on my wrist. phones actually gave us the ability to do away with watches (wrist clocks) yet we come crawling back

My only use case for apple watch is viewing time and slack notifications from nagios.

>it's jerk me off o'clock
lol

>smartwatches
Garbage, all of them.

>yet we come crawling back

Everyone has that moment in the middle of an activity when they realize they don't have any hands left to grab their phone, or are in a place where it's not appropriate or safe to whip out a phone. If I could wear my phone in my glasses, I would.

It's clearly an advantageous position to be mounted to a wrist.

gear for fucking retards

I know one idiot who has two apple watches because battery is shit and yet still from time to time he runs out of battery

t. Casio though solar owner

What is the best camera in a smartwatch out there on the market?

But apple did design a paper bag and apply for a patent

Expensive watches are jeweleryand no I'm not making fun of customers just pointing out that you can sell literally everything. I didn't say that smartwatches are bad just never like them and thats my personal opinion. Would buy iUndies if they had a fat counter haha

just got mine, what do you think?

watches aren't meant to be obsolete

apple was

my fucking sides
i bet it's for one with rounded corners

I mean, with both the Apple Watch and the Tag, you're buying a little machine for your wrist. Now technically, the Apple Watch is the more complicated piece of engineering, incorporating microscopic elements and modern electronics but like a cool old car, the Tag represents engineering of a larger, bolder, and more readily apparent kind.

Of course, the mechanical watch will hold its value better than the Apple Watch, since even though the Mountain Jews are constantly devising new movements, watches don't really go obsolete, nor is there firmware to update...or get cut off from updating because the company has decided you'd better buy the new model.

>smart pig
>farmer of the future

Piggy mac pig pig