/SQT/ Stupid Question Thread

General /sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

my question:
How do I download packages with their dependencies for a Debian machine that has no internet access?

Other urls found in this thread:

hydrusnetwork.github.io/hydrus/
wiki.greasespot.net/Metadata_Block
tampermonkey.net/documentation.php
boards.Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is there a good tutorial out there to learn how to do diagrammatic modeling in LaTeX?

Or should I just give up and use yed and import the diagram I make to LaTeX?

Is it worth it to also/instead learn how to make graphs and shit in LaTeX?

Where the hell can I find a Windows 10 LTSB iso?
I've searched the hashes but all it lead me to were weird chinese pirate sites
and on torrent sites nearly all of them are updated versions so I can't verify if they're real

OK is there like a way you can make a local searchable database and dump all your pngs, jpegs, webm, etc? that way you would have one giant db that is cross platform and secure....i probably look pretty stupid posting this...

I built my pc a couple of years ago and gave myself a 3.5 GHz quad core i5 processor and I'm currently building my girlfriend a pc and went with amd to save cost and she's getting a 3.5 GHz 6 core for like half the cost. Wtf?

Can a LCD panel buzz? Im only talking about the LCD im pretty sure a transformer on the power supply board is buzzing but im getting some horizontal white lines that pop up on the screen for a split second. I think its because the PSU is failing and giving uneven power but I want to be somewhat sure before I go out and buy a replacement power supply...

This might be close to what you want
hydrusnetwork.github.io/hydrus/

C#:

I have a string composed of words that is less than 100 characters. I need to split the string into two no more than 50 characters in string[0] but it cannot be split an entire word.

How do I do?

How do i make a tampermonkey script only work on one website?

wiki.greasespot.net/Metadata_Block
tampermonkey.net/documentation.php
You should look at the @include and @match
You can use regular expressions (regex) or just urls.
Expressions are for when you need more control.

The most basic, you can use wildcards.
// @include >>
// @include boards.Sup Forums.org/g*

I have autofs setup to mount an NFS share, which it readily does provided that I restart it each time I boot. Prior to restarting the service, it doesn't work. I had the idea to create a script to restart it after logon, not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Why should i post/lurk in your thread without saging vs making my own thread for my own stupid questions?

Why do you get to be the bigman tyrone while i gotta be the user sucking up to the big man and his big fancy /general/ thread.

Fuck u.s

Fuck the patriarchy.

Fuckers!

Hey guys.
I'm wondering if I'll have any issues transferring my steam library from one computer to another if I just download steam on my new computer and transfer my steam library folder to the new computer from the old one. Thanks.

furthermore, cia niggers fucked up my post.

I didn't say

>"Fuck u.s"

I don't even remember what i said, but fuck you and the cia, and your nigger generals.

fucking corporatist.

you think you're hot shit don't ya. fucking chinking up my Sup Forums with your /generals/

fuckkkkk youuuu

because I have this thread on auto-refresh so I can answer stupid questions like yours when they pop-up

I'm not going to browse the first page for stupid questions.

it's kinda like Sup Forums hygiene.

alright, you won me over

So you can spam up the thread instead of the whole board.
animegirlreactionimage.com

You can definitely just do a fresh install of the games on the second computer. Not sure if userdata is 100% transferred though. Like if you change config files etc.

could you help me setup filezilla on my linux mint distro.

I want to use that pc as an ftp server but every guide is some poo in loo or a windows version

maybe you should consider something other than filezilla like vsftp

I got a new laptop and want to transfer some files over. I do not have a flashdrive or SATA cable around. How complicated would it be to just make a torrent of the files i want on my old computer and download them to my new one. is there a simpler way to do this?

you should be able to use windows file sharing over wifi

My issue is that I have very poor net speeds so I was hoping to just transfer everything over rather than having download everything again. Thank you!

get a network cable and plug one end into each pc.

maybe check into having steam "move" your games to a specific folder

then take that folder to the new computer and tell steam to download new games to the specific folder and hope it recognizes them

I've only ever done web caching the download so I could download the same game on multiple computers from the local cache immediately after downloading

I'll look into this, thanks again for your time m8.

install an ftp server on old laptop, download the steam folder on the new one.

Could also just use an ethernet cord.

Shouldve specified about cables, i have none available. its also 1130 so everything around me is closed.

il look into this, seems a bit easier. shouldnt be a problem that its windows 8>windows 10 right

I have always had problems with windows shares. Used to use filezilla to transfer large / large amounts of files.

so the pc im buiilding has no disk drives and apparently my mobo comes with a disk that installs the drivers. If i put together my pc will the computer still work?

Does mega still give you like 50 free gigs when you sign up? might be the most efficient route

Do CPUs hit their best performance after a while like cars? Like a break-in for CPUs...?

Ok so in Australia all the freeview channels broadcast at like 480p garbage.

The HD channels are IIRC 1080i

My stupid question is: If they wanted to broadcast in 4k what is the hurdle?

Is the only reason they broadcast garbage on the non-hd channels because they don't want to upgrade the antennas? Or do they need more frequencies they don't have?

I get it all comes down to money but what would they need to do to broadcast in 4k?

What rookie mistake do you see new builders make that they should be aware of?

download the drivers from the manufacturer's website and stick them on a thumbdrive or something

How do I start in IT industry with no degree

Not using enough grout.
Alternatively, using too much grout.

How the fuck does my optical mouse (Dell wm326) work? Old mice I've had used a visible laser, but this one doesn't. I can't see any light at all coming from out of the lens on the bottom. I even tried looking at it through my phone's camera to see if it was infrared, because I know some cameras apparently don't have an infrared filter and can pick it up. And I still saw nothing.

computer will still load into windows right? or do i have to download the drivers while its still in the bios?

ccna

It should load into windows fine but I don't know if you'll need to install network drivers before being able to access the internet.

1080i is as high as TV goes just about everywhere if I'm not mistaken.

Also 4K meme is for retards with disposable income.

I have a Contour Roam2. The video settings are listed below and the firmware is stored on the micro SD card, you can edit it in notepad. Is it possible to change the 1080 or 960 setting to 60 FPS or is that a hardware issue?

Video Mode:
- 1080p video at 30 frames per second
- 960p video at 30 frames per second
- 720p video at 30 frames per second
- 720p video at 60 frames per

AMD

I'm on Win7, and I want to sync two folders that are in different drives. What program should I use? I basically need something simple that'll copy over new files but not delete them if I accidentally delete it in the first folder or something.

Help! My LG G2 might be bricked;
>power button seems to do nothing, regardless of how long I hold it down
>when I plug in a charger cable, the LG logo appears, then disappears, then nothing.
It was working fine a few mins ago and I don't haven't even rooted it. What do?

Assuming you're on the same network, should be trivial to setup an ftp server. With MEGA you have to upload everything to the internet (Which he doesn't want to do, as his internet sucks. Remember, he wants to move steam games from one pc to another. You're suggesting uploading his steam library to MEGA, then download the files from MEGA. For steam games.)

FTP server is basically what he needs.

How is uploading to an external site more "efficient" than sharing over a local network? You one of those nutters that shell out for gigabit internet?

>1080i is as high as it goes

yes... fascinating fact that doesn't answer my question

>4k is a meme

I don't give a fuck that you're a poorfag, you didn't answer my fucking question

It comes down to bandwidth
4k takes 2-4x the bandwidth and most people don't give a shit

>If you don't waste money, it's because you don't have money

how do the ryzen 5 chips compare to the i5-7500?

Yes... but my question is what's the bandwidth problem? Is it just the antennas they broadcast from? Or the entire thing? Or do they need more of the frequency spectrum to broadcast over?

This is the SQT so I'm asking a stupid question, pls give me a stupid answer

Broadcast bandwidth is a lot more limited than you would think, especially for signals that cover a wide area. I know that's definitely the reason satalite tv does mostly 1080i, and it's likely the reason behind limited terrestrial broadcasts. Plus most people won't notice or be able to utilize the difference, so it doesn't translate into additional advertising revenue, so why pay for better equipment/more spectrum. 4k is mostly pointless for tv/movies, especially in comparison to HDR content.

How do I get free computer money (money on the computer) for free without working?

>he hasn't seen 4k content

Even though I know you're 12 years old, I can imagine if you were around for the CRT days you'd probably be sperging off about how full HD is a 'meme for rich people to waste money on'

They don't since they haven't been released yet.

what program can i use to sync files between devices?? , no cloud or external drives

become a cute girl (male)
sell noods

bittorrent sync
syncthing
owncloud
nextcloud

What's a good USB HDD dock that I can just pop drives in and out of?

you want a dock for 3.5" disks?

yeah, I have a few old ones I want to go through before I toss em

Using the Orico #9SIAAMW42C2473 right now (they had a sale of them on Newegg a bit ago). No problems so far, picture related.

I have two drives, C is a SSD and D is my HDD. If I move programs from C to D, will they function correctly? For instance, will their file pathing be fucked up?

The wavelength of the laser wasn't in the visible spectrum or your phone camera's detection range then

Not if you reinstall them

why don't you just put them inside your computer if you're only going to use it once

and then never buy 3.5" again

I re-purposed all my old 3.5" into a computer that functions as a NAS. it's as mess of drives in there but it works

cgi is just an executable with http request details passed through with environment variables, correct?

makes sense to me if thats why they call it "common gateway interface"

I was so confused when computer generated images started to be talked about in movies. I was very confused when they were calling it CGI

No, CPUs don't have moving components.

What does it indicate if I'm in the middle of a PvP match in an MMO and half my team doesn't load and the enemy team doesn't look at all, but when I unfocus the client to task manager, so I can still see 80% of the game behind it, suddenly everyone on my team and most of the enemy team loads when the game loses focus.

This is constantly replicatable. I don't get why it hangs or takes longer to load assets until the game loses focus.

Why does it do this? How can I solve it so that it just operates normally.

vimfx or vimium on firefox? or something else?

I have unzip the firmware update for my smartphone,...and in one of the directory in "firmware\system\etc\event-log-tags" there is this file called "event-log-tags"...what is this file?.
And why the first three lines of the file are:

42 answer (to life the universe etc|3)
314 pi
2718 e

I'm having some isues remote connecting to a semi-headless htpc.

Basically remote connecting to the windows htpc with the tv on and using Kodi remotely works perfectly.

HOWEVER say I wanna connect to the HTPC with the TV OFF it will turn off hardware acceleration and Kodi wont run, and web stuff wont run, qand sometimes its just a black screen until i turn on the display.

I've tried: teamviewer, spashtop, tightvnc all do the same thing. From what I gather I have to make/buy a dummy plug.

If there something I'm missing?

why are you using kodi without some kind of video out to see what kodi is displaying?

does it have a monitor sometimes and other times you just want it to play music?

Retarded issue:
>installing Ganoo from existing Arch
Where do I install grub? Or do I just update it?

I wanna tweak kodi from the comfort of my desk.

That way if someone is using the tv or I just don't want to stroll over and turn the TV off and on. (Don't have HDMI CEC)

you should be able to add a grub entry to your existing linux installation

or if using arch probably add it to your systemd-boot formerly gummiboot

Thing is, /boot on my Arch is not a separate partition but within the root so I'm not sure how to work around that. Maybe throw both /boots together on another partition?
After creating a /boot in Gentoo's root the grub menu just had Gentoo option on it. I lack understanding of how boot loaders generally work so I'm kinda lost...

you will have to figure out which is being called first by the BIOS then modify that boot loader to add the other operating system -- or change your boot order in BIOS back to your arch installation.

I think arch has os-prober which will do the adding of gentoo to your arch bootloader

search by the official iso filename
download one, check it's hash

I got a question.
I have a htpc and I wish to make it into a lan server that works for certain people within the network it is connected.
I don't want it to have access with the internet but only access with the router so others can locally connect to it, along with a mac filter if that is possible. So that only some devices can speak to it.

literally hydrus

What's the use of a home server?

I regularly play games with my brother and our friends in lan parties at my basement, will it help in anyway?

Should I built one?

I have spare 8320 clocked at 4.6 left over after I bought 1700, will it be enough for a homeserver?

>Can a LCD panel buzz?
yes

>access with the router so others can locally connect to it, along with a mac filter if that is possible.

you already have everything you need. the router is a hardware firewall and NAT that will let local computers use the local network. you can build a MAC filter on your wifi network but if you wanted to filter specific traffic to your htpc you will need to use the htpc's firewall (iptables?)

What am I doing wrong? I'm trying to read integers from a simple text file but it's giving me weird numbers. 3 and 5, separated by a space, turn into 8243 and 3381, for example.

Program test;
Var
temp:integer;
input:file of integer;

procedure open(const fn:string);
begin
assign(input, fn);
reset(input);
end;

Begin
temp := 0;
open('file.txt');
while not eof(input) do
begin
read(input, temp);
writeln(temp);
end;
readln();
End.

I have never done this before.
So I was hoping someone could lead me on this matter or hand me over a baby's first guide on this matter.

i use my home server for everything. depends on what you want a server to do.
not sure how it will help a lan party-- you mean hosting the server for the game? probably won't matter

>you will have to figure out which is being called first by the BIOS then modify that boot loader to add the other operating system

Right now it's calling the Gentoo one first, so there's another retarded question:
>both distros are on LVMs on the same physical device, so I have to tell /etc/default/grub the real root of both, then reinstall it to the physical device?

what does this "lan server" serve? if you want it to play video files then plex is probably what you want..

unless you really just want to make an http index of video files? that sounds painful to pause and resume.

do you know if your motherboard is UEFI or MBR?

not sure where your boot goes in UEFI with LVM.

It's for something else.
You could call it learning experience for future work.

I guess you can play with a WAMP stack to get started if you're going to be cryptic about what you're serving...

since you are behind a router you don't have to worry about your CP being displayed to the whole internets

vimfx is great..

It's not CP/Videos or anything like that.
I am not being cryptic about what it is. I am just saying I would like to learn about the matter incase I have to deal with such stuff in future since I am thinking about working as sysadmin/network guy and just currently a student.

its MBR

then gentoo overwrote the mbr section of your disk. just modify your gentoo bootloader to also have an entry for the arch, otherwise re-install arch's bootloader and add gentoo entry to it

sometimes I run prime95 when it's cold and I want to heat my basement.

how much more efficient would a space heater be?

it works pretty well after an hour or so

I'll give it a shot, thank you very much for your help. The whole function of Grub is way more confusing to me than syslinux...