Server General

Post your servers.

Looking to build a low power virtualization server with IOMMU/VT-d, support for at least 6 drives, and 32GB ECC memory. Want to keep this under $600 excluding storage. Maybe Ryzen 5?

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no/graph/phpsysinfo/
ebay.co.uk/itm/271331800626
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Maybe Ryzen 5?
It would be Xeon-d. And go show me a Ryzen setup which supports ECC. [spoiler]there is none[/spoiler].

I dont into servers but someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I want a rack style hdd mount with something like 12-15 3.5" hotswap bays (in a raid configuration)
Id like to use it as a nas, but I may also put 2 good cpus in it to use for bulk work (like video transcoding or some shit) and also maybe as a firewall/router (so io is a must)

Someone mentioned a dell powervault in another thread a few days ago, but the back of it doesnt have an place for a rear io shield and the only holes were for two sas cables which leads me to believe these things arent capable of doing anything else I mentioned.

Im not looking to buy a several thousand dollar system either, something second hand would be good.

So my questions would be:
am I nuts for considering one of these?
are they typically loud as fuck and/or require weird voltages >120V for a north American unit?
and can anyone point me in the right direction?

>under 600
>32gb of any ram
there is half of your budget gone right there.
>at least 6 drives
theres the other half

SuperMicro

$ neofetch
_,met$$$$$gg.
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P. -------------
,g$$P" """Y$$.". OS: Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie) x86_64
,$$P' `$$$. Model: HP t610 WW Thin Client
',$$P ,ggs. `$$b: Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64
`d$$' ,$P"' . $$$ Uptime: 6 days, 23 hours, 31 minutes
$$P d$' , $$P Packages: 1271
$$: $$. - ,d$$' Shell: bash 4.3.30
$$; Y$b._ _,d$P' CPU: AMD G-T56N (2) @ 1.6GHz
Y$$. `.`"Y$$$$P"' GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6320
`$$b "-.__ Memory: 2102MiB / 7942MiB
`Y$$ Disk (/): 2.9G / 12G (24%)
`Y$$. Disk (/backup): 71G / 267G (27%)
`$$b. Disk (/data): 714G / 917G (78%)
`Y$$b. Disk (/data2): 133G / 193G (69%)
`"Y$b._ Disk (/sysexp): 17G / 29G (60%)
`"""
It has one SSD, two mechanical drives, one USB 3.0 flash drive.

my server chiru.no/graph/phpsysinfo/

SuperMicro is the Whitebox Server company. Go get their shit and do whatever you want, same as you would with a custom PC. But just like a fresh Debian install, the shit you want to work out of the box probably won't and you'll need to tinker with it awhile. Took me a few hours to get the fans in my SuperMicro server to stop spinning full bore all the god damn time and actually use thermal sensing to dictate fan speeds. This was due to my own decisions in purchasing the mobo/fans/configuring IPMI the way I did but it's that kind of thing you don't think about/realize until you're doing the initial POST and wondering why $reallyOddBehavior is happening like the hot-swap drive lights aren't working or none of the Ethernet ports are functioning properly because what the fuck is "VM Queueing".

Dell PowerEdge and HP ProLiants use a TON of custom shit in their servers because they want to sell you the proprietary first-party accessories that go with them so Dell can offer full-stack integration and support, and they're meant for datacenters. Which means they'll run VERY loud and draw a TON of power because if it means the device will run

HP micro running OMV, 3x1tb and 1x2tb drives.
Its does the job, still need to cable manage.

In also have a netbook running Ubuntu as a print server.

Ok, thanks. Ill look at what they have

Hi /g
Here my own server running Proxmox
the case is a fractal node 304

ebay, used server, $500 130+gb of ram / tons of 1tb drives maybe more live with ecc ddr2, your budget is impossible

>go show me a Ryzen setup which supports ECC

Every Summitbridge CPU supports ECC memory user from 4/4 to 8/16

Its hidden in my parents attic

And yes i know its a wangblows. that time i was only a highschool shit who doesnt know linux

I do mostly download/seed stuff and stream

Dunno if relevant, but ryzen platform currently has problems with pci-e passthrough, at least under linux. See l1tech.
I'd go with a used server.
Currently running 7 VMs off a t420 with 6 external usb3 drives in storage spaces parity mode though, so yeah.
Build to your needs something something.

Every AMD CPU since Athlon.

No support on your motherboard?
Just force it in your kernel params.

got a dell r710 with 72GB RAM + 2x 6core intel + hyperthreating +2x 2TB HDD

runs at 180W

Lenovo TS140 are cheap. That's a decent basic "new" server.

What wm/de is that you are running?

Is it true that there's no such thing as a rack server that's quiet enough to have next to your desk?

The problem isn't the CPU silicon, it's the whole platform.

Every full-size DDR4 slot has enough pins for a 72b datapath too, but you really need the motherboard to actually link all the pins to the CPU socket and for the CPU's microcode to enable the functionality in the memory controllers.

Specifically, parity scrubbing is something configured in BIOS and driven by the MC, the reconstruction of damaged words is handled by the CPU, and error handling for uncorrectable errors needs to be specified for the CPU too.

Post your servers, you say?

well now I just feel grossly inadequate.

toyfags plz go

Sorry senpai. If it makes you feel any better, it costs a good 1000GBP a year just to run this thing, and that's with half of it not running yet. Should be around 2200GBP a year once it's all running.

I was wondering if it makes sense to disconnect SSH from the internet and to require a VPN connection before using SSH. Why would I do this? Tired of my logs being cluttered with failed SSH attempts. I use an encrypted key, which I would gladly use over the internet but as soon as I'm home I think it is excessive. So why not connect to VPN using a key while your offsite then just use SSH with only a password when onsite?

go away autisic kid, adults are talking

niceme.me

What do you use it for?
>in b4 media box and torrent seeding

Crap. I feel like I'm trying to build a computer at a junkyard out of scrap.

Are there any dual/quad CPU mobo's that work with Trinity processors?

Quad SLI works, Molyneux is just lying to protect his bitcoin mining operation. (I don't see why, its not like the average user has the cash to shell out for 4 GTX 1080's)

awful picture

1u at the top is Meiling running pfsense as router/firewall/dns/dhcp/ntp, 3u below that Sakuya the xenserver vm host, then chen the raspi printserver, tewi the raspi web server both running minibian , microservers at the bottom are dalian and raziel, fileservers running freenas

A mobo with two trinity CPU's, 32 GB of DDR 3 ECC running at 1600Mhz and a quad SLI GTX1080 setup is basically a portable server, its more than you would ever need. Give it two 512GB SSD drives with RAID drive mirroring to run its OS natively and use HDD drive trays/Hubs that hook up to USB or eSATA for mass storage and you not only have a server, you have a FAST server with less overhead.

But if your budget is 600 bucks, you are better off just buying a stock desktop and using it as server platform by installing server software on it.

Most of it is just data. Up to just shy of 100TB in the building now, most of it in this rack. Some VMs for basic day to day shit. Some stuff for friends, like TS and soon to have a dedicated game server for a whole host of games. Some cloud storage. Plex. Torrents and filesharing. A little bit of learning and such, if I need to test something I can load a VM and test. Lots of backups to keep things safe. A small amount of hosting.

Run it all on an open frame, possibly in a faraday cage, with a minimum 850 Watt Power Supply.

This build will work, trust me.

>100TB
what the fuck are you doing with 100 TB of anything? I can't imagine the bloat of the metadata you got clogging up your pipes.

I can't imagine the reason people want such crazy mass storage in their server farms. You could fit the entire I-Tunes master list on five 2 TB hard drives hooked up in a RAID 5 setting once you cleaned out all the redundant garbage and tracking data stored on MP4's

Servers that come in both tower and 4u configs can be quiet.

1U and 2u are horrible.

Have dell 2u server in non climate controled env and it spits fire and sounds like tupolev taking off

I mean, sure, it would probably involve converting them into .wav files but there doesn't have to be any compression loss when it comes to .wav formating.

Same goes for MP4 video or MP 5 and converting it back into MPEGs, only blue ray copies need mega storage, everything else you could strip off a DVD by putting it into an ISO

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 960T
nVidia GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS
disk:
/dev/sdf ST500DM002-1BD14
/dev/sdd ST3500413AS
/dev/sdb ST3500413AS
/dev/sdg Seagate BUP Slim BL
/dev/sde ST3500413AS
/dev/sdc ST3500413AS
/dev/sda ST3500413AS
/dev/sdh LSILOGIC Logical Volume
/dev/sg7 WDC WD10EFRX-68P
/dev/sg8 WDC WD10EFRX-68P

Mostly for rutorrent, mpd, smb, owncloud, and some other small services.

I didn't have to open it in like 1.5 year since I've set it up.

The top one is a desktop.

Cable management from the inside.

Mind If I ask your file system you are using and how is your raid setup if you are using one?

>ikea lack rack

Im gonna get the coffee table one since I have some desktops I can put on top.

My setup is horrible and you should not replicate it. I need to change it.

The media volume is essentially 6x500 GB combined with mdadm as software RAID5:

% sudo mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
Version : 1.2
Creation Time : Fri Jun 20 16:49:25 2014
Raid Level : raid5
Array Size : 2441274880 (2328.18 GiB 2499.87 GB)
Used Dev Size : 488254976 (465.64 GiB 499.97 GB)
Raid Devices : 6
Total Devices : 6
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Wed Mar 29 19:26:00 2017
State : clean
Active Devices : 6
Working Devices : 6
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 0

Layout : left-symmetric
Chunk Size : 512K

Name : melchior:0 (local to host melchior)
UUID : 86e7b894:3a588b0e:89a8b0b5:5b1108c8
Events : 3260

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 80 0 active sync /dev/sdf
1 8 48 1 active sync /dev/sdd
2 8 0 2 active sync /dev/sda
3 8 16 3 active sync /dev/sdb
4 8 64 4 active sync /dev/sde
6 8 32 5 active sync /dev/sdc

And then I have LUKS on top of that for encryption with ext4 for filesystem.

It's not the most optimal setup for speed but it's enough for media storage.

>it costs a good 1000GBP a year just to run this thing
Care to expand on that?

>putting drinks on your server
Living on the edge.

The operating system and more important data is on a hardware RAID1 created with the LSI SAS card with 2x1000 GB drives.

The Seagate Slim is for backups.

>1U and 2u are horrible.
I hear Dell R6xx sounds and feels like Saturn V leaving the launch pad. However Dell R7xx is bearable.

What rack is it? Looks like it would be easy to hide in a small office.

Very similar to the kind of setup I'd like to have eventually. Move my systems into a "furniture grade" rack to make my setup look cleaner. Having a bunch of loose systems around gets kinda messy.

It's called "19" Data Comms IT 15U 600x600 Server Rack IT Cabinet":

It used to be on ebay here:

ebay.co.uk/itm/271331800626

I'm sure you can find it if you look around.

Yeah, it's pretty neat and hides everything pretty well. Though I don't know what I will do with it if I ever leave this apartment. I guess I'll try selling it.

Shipping it to wherever I will move sounds like a pain in the ass.

Thanks, I'm considering moving my workstation and networking gear to a small single rack just like yours.
What is it made out of? eBay says MDF at the top but what about sides and bottom? Is it safe to lift it up an move as one piece or would have to dismantle everything first?
Do you have a pic with the glass door closed or did you remove it?

Also seeing you're drinking some Lomża beer there

What do you guys recommend for a server which supports more than around 16 drives? Something like a shelf of disks you can plug directly into your ZFS setup.

Those two short depth units, are those fortinet fortigates? And the yellow tags on them are??

Dell MD1000, super cheap now days

Am I cool enough to post?
It runs an Atom 330 at factory setting (probably should get around to undervolting that)
I get stable temps of around 40-50°C, but have never placed really heavy workloads on it

end yourself hobbycuck

Ah those little asrock(?) machines, love em

Not sure just googled the image.

I hoard data :). Nothing wrong with keeping local copies of the things I enjoy or want to keep safe.

So the whole thing is pretty thick metal. Heavy as fuck. Mine came with wheels so it's pretty easy to move around. If you screw in the racks things shouldn't move much so I'd say it should be safe to transport together with the servers inside.

Here's the glass door. It closes with a key. Sturdy enough, I've hit it against the heater on the wall a few times and it survived.

And that Łomża Eksport is awful, there are good types of Łomża but that one is not one of them.

My DL360 G7 is pretty quiet. Can't hear it over anything else in the rack for sure.

Nice job. Really similar looking machine and components as my own white box, albiet yours has much newer stuff in than mine. It was built almost 3 years ago and out of pretty old gear even then. Now it's cold storage.

This thing runs at 1kW, 24/7. It's expensive.

I'm currently waiting untill Supermicro releases a AM4 motherboard. There stuff is amazing.

Thanks.

And home servers really don't need that much power. I gave it that CPU because I didn't have a use for it, it's kinda overkill but that's fine, same goes for 8 GB of ram.

The main thing is really the storage and uses you find for it.

Looking to get a Cisco home lab going over the summer for study. Yes I know about and use packet tracer and GNS3. We have a lab at my college and I really like getting hands on in addition to the software. Anyway, how does this setup look?
>3x 3560 switch
>3x 2621xm router
>1x 2511 access server

I was thinking this was a bit overkill to be honest. Maybe something cheaper would be better. Maybe only 2 switches as well.

That sounds really expensive.

Just learn at your college and find a job doing networking with hardware. You'll be happier and richer that way.

I graduate this semester, so I won't have access to the lab any more. Plus, I could only access the hardware during class time with a professor. They lock it up the rest of the time.

The hardware isn't super expensive if you can get a reasonable deal on ebay, which isn't too uncommon. I see some buy-it-nows on the switches for 54 shekels. That's the 48f/4g port version at that.

Guise I'm looking for something with at least 64gb ram (upgradable) at least 10 cores and at least 5tb storage .. my budget is 2k USD halp

Jesus at least flip the pic.

dude.. You can build that for under 800.

I mean.. i build it for 1500...

Most motherboards dont even boot with ECC installed let alone let it boot to a kernel.

oh my god i wanna fuck it

He's running i3 you can tell from the bar

Where's the network cabinet broski?

could be openbox.

It was cheaper than a real doll.

and get your vpn's logs cluttered with failed connection attempts

Just change SSH port number and use RSA/public key logins

>consumer grade shit

because business class equipment is loud as fuck and uses shitons of power.

where did you get that picture on your wall

Does anyone know how loud are IBM x3100 M4 servers?

My current server is literally a couple of pi's.
>Raspberry Pi 2, with 500GB HDD
seedbox, file server (SMB, FTP), random shit
>Orange Pi Plus 2, with 1TB HDD
My portfolio, Nextcloud, some other websites, random shit
>router : cheap TP-Link with DD-WRT

However, with a friend we want to take the step and build "baby's first real server", to make a more powerful web host, blender render machine, and why not, gaem server.
It will still be cheap fuck tho.
We though about buying two Xeon around 40~60€ each on ebay, motherborard, (we found double-LGA1366 Asus mobo below 150€), starting with 8Go of RAM (we will be upgrading later), and reusing old drives, PSU, and all the shit.
Any advice?

Also, any tips for virtualisation? Never done it on an headless server.

look up zen hypervisor and run that on a stable linux distribution

>have all this
>already want another rackmount for VM's

top->bottom
pfsense
patch panel for house ethernet
switch
ghetto control area
modem (some sort of surfboard)
ssh gateway
dl380 g5 (drives all died, louder and draws more power than the dell)
dell 2950 (single xeon, mostly used for a LAN)

anyone know if I can get lower output power supplies for the dell to reduce power consumption? I had one of the units go out a few months ago and haven't gotten around to replacements

>$0.12/kwh
>*24=$2.88/day
>*354=$1,051.20/year

>mostly used for a LAN)
*NAS

This is the only reason i'm happy about my raspberry pi setup.
Pis + HDDs + router = arroud 25W, probably less on idle

slow as shit though.

Get a dell R510 12 bay version, mine has 9 hard drives in it and draws 180 watts. It was less than $350 to my door.

bamp

Yeah, even my phone would probably be faster

All these physical servers making noise, heat, wasting electricity.

There's a reason they were pulled out of first tier production. They are past their prime and obsolete, except for the people who don't realize that home servers are a meme.

Pic attached. I have all the computing resources I need in one box that draws under 200w nominally.

I got a printing company to print it on a canvas.

It's a spread from a cyberpunk manga but Tsutomu Nihei titled "Biomega".

It's pretty cool.

thanks and i know the source and blame is better

that shit's gonna break with all that weight on it.

i had that coffee table before and its nice but i'd never never trust it to hold that much weight

I have connected my servers in the basement to a vent so they suck in cold, clean, dry air and thereby keep my basement dry and my house well ventilated.

I have a server that draws 2 kW which is only for running in the winter. Here in the cold Scandinavia we have to use a lot for heating anyway so why not use computers?