RX 470

What can you tell me about the RX 470? I'm looking to build a budget build for a friend and most people consider the RX 470 as the best budget card out there right now.

However I'm watching some benchmarks where it is compared to the GTX 1060 and the results are very inconsistent. Sometimes it's better than the GTX 1060 and then suddenly another title comes along and it's 50% slower. There's also bigger drops in performance whenever action is happening on screen.

Is this exclusive to AAA titles gimped by producers or does this happen more often?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dichjs9HXTg
youtube.com/watch?v=8LDtj8vEvS8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bmp

With lower budgets where the bad nvidia price/performance really hurts, it's an easy choice to go with AMD. I don't know where you're located, but a 470 is a lot more affordable than a 1060 and offers less performance, but better performance per money spent.

That said, if you CAN afford a 1060 6GB, it's a great card, you probably won't regret it, and a non-Sup Forums friend definitely won't because nvidia has slightly better drivers and software support in general.

>NVIDIA
>better drivers
Its not 2014 anymore.

>where
Europe. Over here AMD isn't as piss cheap as in the states.

Well, I haven't kept up with AMD lately. You might be right.

Also forgot to mention, if you're comparing the 1060 3GB to a 470/480, just go with AMD on that one. That low amount of VRAM is not worth it, in my opinon. Just go with AMD if you can't afford the 6GB one.

Just straight up hot opinions from me here, I don't know everything.

It's still reasonably priced and cheaper on average. But it really depends on the country you live in.
Since AMD got king pajeet back their drivers are better than ever.

I assume with the budget that he's using g4560 as the cpu and if that's the case then yeah.

>youtube.com/watch?v=dichjs9HXTg

>G4560 for gayming
Ehh, I mean, it's okay budget choice but it's a fucking stutterfest in anything CPU-demanding. I'd wait for R3/quad-R5 or cash out for cheapest i5.

That's the plan
I went over this with him. He only plays FPS and to my understanding the G4560 has the same socket as kaby lake so he can always get an i5 later on.

4/4 is meh in current year unless the Jews will launch Coffee Lake on 1151.

Try to find one secondhand that was bought when they first came out. Then flash its bios to 8gb.
Not a joke. AMD was more focused on making 8gb cards to keep up supply. So there's a lot of 470's that are actually 480's.

But whatever you do, don't get a 1060. I've got one myself. And for the love of fuck do no consider a 3gb version. It'll fuck you over.
They're rarely ahead in benchmarks. And horribly locked for overclocking. It's fool proof, but still.
I will recommend MSI variants of it based on what I've got if AMD is not an option.
MSI RX cards also seem to be the best cooled cards as well.
My 1060 6gb OC is quiet as fuck, can't imagine the RX's are any louder.

If you do get a 1060 6gb, don't expect too much life out of it, it'll be fine for some time to come, but the RX's will live on longer having better DX12 design and more ram.
Reasons why I don't have an RX is because of the lack of AMD suppliers near me, and running Win 7.

>MSI
It's actual XFX 480 that is the best.

i used rx 470 for a build i made for my cousin and never heard a complaint. itll do great for 1080p 60fps gaming and the inconsistencies are there because of different api and optimization. overall unless the game is totally shit (mafia 3) then the performance gap wont be that big of a deal
amd has actually been improving their drivers a lot and rx470/480 have pretty good driver support and optimization, better than the previous generations as far as i can tell
its a little sad to see my r9 390 lose to rx 480 in some cases but what can you do.

Yea xfx makes best 480 with msi and sapphire running up.

I thought you should always get EVGA because of refunding policy

rx 500 launch in a little over 2 weeks. prices are about to get better.

Btw you can get some great deals on gpus with patience. I had a $230 r9 fury plus a $50 gift card from newegg. $180 for a r9 fury is pretty dope. Zotac 1070 inched under $300 recently too.

are you telling me to WAIT(C)(TM)?

>Radeon
>EVGA
user, I...

Yes. Cheaper cards on better process with higher clocks.

I had evga nvidia cards and they always die within two years. In fact evga is partly why i jumped off the sli meme. Fucking cards kept dying.

Is it really 2 weeks away?

Yes.

I'll just use that to buy a cheaper 470

I looked at them. The cooling design looks like shit. 3pipes to one side, two to the other. One fan at idol??
Fuck that man. That's normalfag design. With how easy overclocking is and how quiet fans are you'd be stupid to think that gimmick is better.
MSI Gaming X on the other hand had six pipes evenly placed and spread out logically.

Bit more on that, or just "it's the best"

EVGA 100's looked like a stock intel CPU cooler slapped onto it.
Not sure about the RX's.
>because of refunding policy
From what I see, they're betting of this very thing. They've been doing free upgrades on dead cards. Just so people will recommend them.
I wouldn't bank on that lasting.
As for returns, I've never had any issue with any vendor I've used. (major brands)
Consider buying from a local PC store. That way you can get them to deal with returns.
I've just used my local to deal with an eBay issue, he's really helpful.
But that may not be the case everywhere.

>EVGA 100's
EVGA 1060's***

You need to look at XFX GTR 480. Just watch shillztwocents review.

youtube.com/watch?v=8LDtj8vEvS8
Pic related.

I have it on crossfire because retardation.
like other user said you might come across a locked 480 8gb. I went for the xfx brand for the LED, but the logo led is a best buy shitxlusive. fans are extra $20 if you want colors that are not white.

That review is shit.

Because he has no personality that changes the results???

>dat cable management
>stock intel cooler
I...

The results are also shit. Every other fucking review have good temps on XFX cards. He shills for MSI. Either that, or he got shit ASIC on XFX card which happens sometimes.

cable management fixed and waiting on a better air cooler. h60 hose had a leak.

What made you a H60 in the first place?
I wouldn't one on an i3.
>case had no spot for 120mm
Not to ridicule you. Just that they're so small.

Any clue what done the leak? Any damage done?
Temps, ect?
I've got the h100i V2. on a FX8350. Be useful to know. I'm worried about overclocking and causing pressure in the system.
My temp's seem to max at 50c gaming
Most of the time it's 38c with 100% load with a hasher.

Have a xfx, and it never gets to 80, somethings fishy here.

it was shit upon reaching my mailbox. just figured i'd slap it on the i5 for more aesthetic reasons.

however without the water cooler i had to make peace with the fact that my front has only 2 fans in front because i needed a fan to push air to the back. I probably will have to buy yet another case fan if I go with an air cooler for the cpu just to help the uncomfortable gap in my front side.

50c on full load seems awfully low. I have a 4690k and a 2500k which are cooler than the fx series. Both are oced to 4.6 and 70c is the norm in a house that stays 76f ambient. 2500k hasba cryorig which is actually nice. Shorter than the 212 evo.

It's cheaper to grab a 212 evo or cryorig cooler provided you have clearance. More peace of mind and cools as well imo.

My r9 fury doesn't get to 80 either.

Gaming probably isnt full load as few games make good use of that CPU.