/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Ryzen Is Good Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Consider a G4560 instead of i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Add a SSD even for budget builds, it's easier to add HDD later than replacing OS drive.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, GTX1060 6GB, RX480.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/VtgQhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/f9GdwV
amazon.com/Lepa-BOL-QUIET-Cooling-LP-BOL12P-R-Obsidian/dp/B00LGN8476/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5-PBA-wl9UtyKX7kvAWY_9ZI58MJdqv0
pcpartpicker.com/list/qJ3sBP
pcpartpicker.com/list/6mbVRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/FgnjKZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pcpartpicker.com/list/VtgQhq

You think it's worth it anons? I consider build this but I'm not sure if it will be good to build or not.

>no poptarts

ONE JOB, YOU HAD ONE JOB user AND YOU FUCKED IT UP.

pcpartpicker.com/list/f9GdwV
r8 or h8

>i3

Nyet comrade.

Name a better CPU in his price range, you cant

i5?

>The gook removed the "Commercial Spam/advertising" complaint
Really gets those neurons firing.

R3

The G450.

Either that or (my preferred option) wait until the lower core ryzens drop.

anyone have a link to the creators update ISO?

>idiots are still building intel pcs when R5 & R3 is right around the corner

I need a new fan for my hyper 212 evo
thinking about getting this to throw on it, will this get the job done?
amazon.com/Lepa-BOL-QUIET-Cooling-LP-BOL12P-R-Obsidian/dp/B00LGN8476/

What should I look out for in general if I want to run multiple monitors?

A gpu with lots of outputs.

R3, G4560.

any PWM fan will do, question is have you looked up a review to see how good it is and sound levels?

where the menu controls are, bezel thickness, input orientation, and how good your graphics card is and if it has the right outputs, depending on if you are going to run demanding shit on all screens or just one, all screens except the primary one can be cheaper (higher response time and refresh rate) if you want to save some money.

mobo?

Would anyone please care to give some constructive advice\opinions on my build?

I'm Australian and my life revolves around my computer, most of it is basic stuff like writing, but I also want to get more into gaming.

So I've based my build off this thing, "$1,500 Build - i7-7700K - 1440p Gaming", I've only slightly altered one or two items.
(Here's the link to a playlist in case anyone's interested) youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5-PBA-wl9UtyKX7kvAWY_9ZI58MJdqv0

Dude in the video seemed really well informed, seemed good at defending the choice of certain parts and seemed pretty genuine and non-shill.

I'm going with this build because I've never put together a PC before, I figure I can go the simple route this first time.

Any advice? Any Australians out there with recommendations for alternatives on certain items that might be less expensive here?

Help would be much appreciated. I'm especially curious about the choice of the Define R5 case, it can get incredibly hot in the small room this is going to sit in, is there a loss to temperature by going with a quiet case like this?

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 7 1700.

Would recommend to anyone who does software development. It slaughters my old i7 in compile times.

Why not an R7 1700 if you're doing 1440p?

>is there a loss to temperature by going with a quiet case like this?
Yes, but the fractal design has room for quite a lot of fans. Mine right now has 5 140mm ones, i could add two other (three if i remove the hard drive bay and only use M.2 ssd on my mobo + 2 SSD that can fit behind the mobo in the case which is still 3 drives)
The R4 doesn't block noise as well (very slightly) but the temperatures are quite better so you should consider it.

Also you shouldn't base your build off other people's choice, your usage of your computer will always be different from other people so you have different needs and some things will be unneccessary for you. Namely that 7700k "just for gaming" when it's the absolute best gaming processor and can overclock monstruously is quite silly.

Create a proper list of everything you intend to build and we might be able to give wiser advice.

>. It slaughters my old i7 in compile times.

potato?

Ryzen has far better price/performance ratio than Intel. You will be able to get the R5 4 core 8 thread that's equivalent to intel i7 for like half the price.
His build is pretty good except he has Nvidia GPU with a Freesync monitor, which means he cant use the Freesync part because Nvidia are jews and force you to pay extra for Gsync.
Closed Loop watercooling is more expensive and not needed in most cases. Get a NH-D14/15 if you want a really good cooler, or something like a Cryorig H5 for mid-tier and a H7 or Hyper 212 if you just want something slightly better and more silent than stock cooler.
Powersupply in his list is completely overkill. That shit wont even use more than 450W so something like a 500W-650W Gold rated PSU will be more suited.
Also for 1440p i'd get a better GPU aswell if you want to get the best experience. A 1070 will work fine with Freesync to prevent tearing if you dont want to spend more.

>A 1070 will work fine with Gsync to prevent tearing if you dont want to spend more.
fixed. Also consider RX480 8GB with Freesync instead, or wait for Vega that will be about the same as a 1080.

>if you dont want to spend more.
G-Sync cost $200

1070 with gsync is cheaper than 1080 with gsync, is what i meant

Depends entirely on how many monitors and what you intend to do with them.
Modern GPUs can generally run 5 monitors, while the iGPUs in Intel CPUs can run 3. If you intend to run your video games stretched out on multiple monitors, keep in mind it will be N times more demanding than a single monitor, meaning that for multimonitor gaming at even just 3x1080p you want at least a GTX 1080.

On the monitor side, just stay far away from TN panels and glossy monitors. You want matte IPS ones. Dell's Ultrasharp monitors are great and have very thin bezels making them better at being right next to each other than monitors with bigger bezels.

what about this

ATX is a must, but I'd like to find a smaller case

>last gen intel i7
>with a hyper 212
>4x4 2400MHz RAM
garbage

>last gen i7 when 1700 costs $30,- more

pcpartpicker.com/list/qJ3sBP
any better? i have a case

i guess you chose Z270 mobo to be able to get an unlocked i5 or i7 later, ye?
In that case get 3000Mhz RAM aswell, it's almost the same price.
If not, get a B250 chipset motherboard to save a little.
RX480 8GB is almost $50 cheaper and is at least as good, and better in many cases, than a 1060 6GB.

However, it is a really bad idea to buy a 2 core 4 thread CPU when even the cheapest AMD Ryzen chip will have 4 cores and is being released this summer for as low as around $100 and will spank the shit out of intel's Pentium G and i3 chips.

Also I would recommend getting a gold rated PSU from a good brand, it's a good investment and lasts many years for just $20-30 more.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6mbVRG
Planning to switch to an aio at some point for CPU
295x2 is for more computer work, won't be used for gaming
960 pro because I want the fastest ssd right now. Just because, so that as opposed to Evo unless there are other comparable cheaper options or glaring issues.
Extra ssd because I'd like to add to my quick storage I have locally, extra 4tb because I need more local storage period and that should hold me for a while
Had to go with the Asus board over Taichi because of the 2 GPU and 3 expansion cars situation.
Not willing to give up TV tuner and I need a second nic. Inifniband upgrade for direct link with nas
Advice? Options? Better choices? I'm open to a lot of change here, I've got some time before upgrading

Overclocking RAM is stupid complicated for a first-timer, why suggest anything but 2133? Idiots

Yeah not everyone wants to spend $30 for a chip when they're obviously building a computer for gaming. Fuckass dumb fucking retard

Post your builds in pictures, fuckers. We don't want to go through that sort of hassle, idiots.

Also forgot to include but Ill be using a cryorig r1 ultimate as cooler. Already have that though
Maybe if I get around to it Jesus all you have to do is click a fuckin link you reading impaired mongoloid

>Overclocking RAM is stupid complicated for a first-timer, why suggest anything but 2133? Idiots
>literally change one fucking setting in BIOS and BOOM you "overclocked" your RAM to the specified rating that the brand is selling it as

>Yeah not everyone wants to spend $30 for a chip when they're obviously building a computer for gaming. Fuckass dumb fucking retard
And he can get an R5 4 core 8 thread for almost half the price of Intel's option and it will be almost as good in games.

fuck off you retarded intell bullshiller

link new corrected list, and you can mark things as purchased in PCpartpicker aswell

Everything else is included I know you can mark purchased. I forgot to add because it still throws a compatability warning but cryorig offers a free am4 upgrade kit, I'll try to change it later

what 'one fucking setting' is that, smartass. XMP does nothing.

and the 1700x sucks for fucking gaming. shitty ass chip only works well in games that are physics heavy.

>XMP does nothing
except set your RAM to run at it's rated speed, fucktard.

>and the 1700x sucks for fucking gaming. shitty ass chip only works well in games that are physics heavy.
see OP picture, retard

>any PWM fan
yeah I know, I'm just wondering if anyone had any recommendations. It seems to have good reviews, so I think I'm gonna pull the trigger.

i just hope the simulation are accurate the 1500X looks fine when you're on a budget

>6th gen i7
>gaming

Maybe if you said 7700k but hey, clearly not just for gaming if it's a 6700k, retard.

>Consider using an i5 6500/7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build.
OP is still posting the same shit advice.

G4560 and a cheaper motherboard.

And for the millionth fucking time, cheap EVGA powersupplies are garbage. So are the cheap corsairs.
Seasonic and newer Rosewill are the best PSUs under $70, and they can be had for closer to $40 even.

If your life revolves around your computer and not just gaming, AND you're gaming at 1440p, wouldn't the 1600X be better for you? Marginally worse gaming performance at 1080p (still much better than the 7600k overall), which should get better over time, but far better multitasking performance, yet is like $120 cheaper.

R3.

Kek. I'm sure Vega will have a $350ish card. There's 11 different models coming (many are for servers though).

Looks good. But why not 2x8GB? Dual channel is marginally better, especially if you're going to overclock RAM.

I also really don't get this spending $140 for ~250GB+1TB SDD and HDD instead of just spending $210 for a superior 480GB NVMe like the MyDigitalSSD 480GB BPX NVMe and adding on a 1-5TB HDD later when you actually need the space.

I guess you play on getting a 7700k later, given that motherboard?
Honestly just get it now.

Or pair a cheap $70 motherboard with a 7700 non-k for $150 more instead of $300 more and get enough performance that you won't have to bother.

The starting with a cheap shit CPU on a mobo then upgrading almost never works with Intel and just makes you waste time and money in the end. They don't support their sockets long enough.

see stop being fucking retarded.

>Maybe if you said 7700k but hey, clearly not just for gaming if it's a 6700k, retard.
What are you trying to say? The 6700k and 7700k are virtually the same except the 7700k clocks like 2% higher and as shittier TIM and costs more.

It works perfectly fine. Better than a 7600k on average but with tons of power to spare for other applications or other games that optimize better for it in the future.

>1250W PSU
Where is your dual Naples and 8 GPUs?

What would you guys pair with an RX 460? (No Intel)

>£582 for a Ryzen 1700, X370, 16GB @ 3200 build

Brexit is suffering.

Ryzen 3. But 460 is shit, get a 470 instead.

1600X.

It's for a moderate build. Nothing hardcore. For syberia 3 maybe some witcher 3 its more than enough.

>1600X

50 bucks on the 1600 being like the 1700 and the best deal since it can clock to same levels as the 1600x.

>6500
Okay firstly.. the 7500 is virtually the same price.

Secondly, paying over $150 for only 4 threads is retarded.
You can get a 2c/4t G4560 that's 70% as good in gayman for $125 cheaper.

And why spend $244 for that GPU when you can get it for $185 from Jet? Is this Canadian dollars or something?
$244 for an RX480 is not worth it when you can get an R9 Fury that's way better for $235.

Besides those two things, the rest makes sense. Though I think cheap SSDs just to boot faster are pretty silly when you can get 4x the storage and 5x the speed from spending 4x more. That's free extra speed.

Or just waint until next month and get a 4 core 8 thread Ryzen 5 that will curbstomp Intel i5.

>next month

11 days

Can someone tell if there is a single reason why i7 7700k costs about the same i7 3770k? If not for the fact that I need new motherboard I would go and buy 7700k in a heartbeat, so I was wondering how much 7700k is better than 3770k. Is it worth it to spend a bit much on new motherboard and which one would you suggest? I'm upgrading from i5 2400 and mainly looking for something for paradox's grand strategy games.

which is next month, idiot

because you're an idiot looking to buy a several year old CPU brand new when there's almost none of them left on the market.

Or that, yeah. If you have an i3 or i5 in your build, you're doing something horribly wrong.

It's completely pointless to buy ANY Intel CPU other than a 6700k/7700(non k)/7700k/G4560 anymore.

The 6900k and 6850k are retarded buys compared to the Ryzen 7s. All the i3s and i5s are retarded buys to the Ryzen 5s.

they're right tho

>they're right tho
and so was i when i said next month.

Thanks for your amazing input, used is barely cheaper.

i have a default windows computer, and 550 dollars, what should i buy to make it better at playing the vidya

then you're not looking hard enough.

ok you're both right

a brain

probably

$1200 budget
looking for a gaming build
I have a 1tb wd black already
looking to play games like BF1, Doom, Dark Souls series at max settings.
I have 2 monitors a dell u2311h and a asus vh236h.

see OP post for logical increments link to get a general idea and put something together so we can make suggestions for you.

but in a nutshell:

>Ryzen 5 1600
>500GB SSD
>RX480 8GB or wait for Vega
>16GB 3000MHz RAM

>Dxdiag/speccy
>Post specs
>We'll tell you

>try to build PC
>follow advice from reddit because I'm a noob
>buy a H110M Pro-VD mobo with a intel G4560 CPU
>they are incompatible due to the BIOS being too old
>can't update the BIOS

How fucked am I? Should I just kill myself?

someone please rate this, havent built a pc in 7 years.

>dxdiag
please KYS for even suggesting that he pastes that fucking wall of text.
speccy > *

yeah you should. we would have told you it wouldnt work without a bios update first. now fuck off back to léddit and dont come back.

>i5 when Ryzen 5 release in 2 weeks
>Hyper 212 with that total budget
>Not at least 3000MHz RAM
>RAM with heatsinks that stick up above the PCB
>Dual RX470 from the start
3/10

What is the difference between the 1600X and a Ryzen 1700 with only 6 cores (3+3) enabled while the rest is disabled?
Shouldn't it be pretty much the same?

Is it possible to deactivate 2 cores while at the same time overclocking the other 6 cores to 4Ghz?

well, i understand the rx470 gripe, but the thing is I stupidly bought a 470 2 months ago trying to update my old pc and found out its a terrible card, was hoping that two would be alot better. Also, can you explain the ryzen thing, the ram thing, and your problem with my cooler? trying to save money here. Thanks!

I'm happy for AMD that the can finally compete again. I'll stick with my 6800k, but maybe my next build will be AMD again.

Always AMD Gpu though, fuck Nvidia.

It is pretty much the same.
Yeah but why would you do that?

>I stupidly bought a 470 2 months ago trying to update my old pc and found out its a terrible card, was hoping that two would be alot better
Eh, it's a tad behind the 480, but it would be fucking retarded to buy another one when Vega is coming this summer.
>can you explain the ryzen thing
see OP's pic.
R5 1500 is AMDs new mainstream chips with 4 cores and 8 threads (same as i7) that will cost half as much as an i7 some of them even less than an i5).
>the RAM thing
there's no price difference between 2400MHz and 3000MHz RAM, and faster RAM improves your performance.
>your problem with my cooler
it's a budget cooler barely better than a stock cooler (tho quite a bit more silent), for an unlocked CPU... you're either gonna have a housefire or a jet engine in your room with that. Get something like a Cryorig H5 for a good mid-tier cooler that lets you OC some while keeping your CPU cool and not sounding like you live at the airport.
>trying to save money here
then definitely do not buy intel right now.

Not him but on the hyper 212: If your budget is that much get a better cooler. A simple closed loop system and you'll get much better temps, more room, etc.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the new chips tend to run hot anyways so a better cool will help.

hey man, i appreciate the non-satirical response, thanks for the info!

The bigges issue with Ryzen that prevents me from buying it, are the freaking bugs.

I have already bought decent ram, but which according to the compatibility list will only run at 2400Mhz. When overclocking it, I have read the system won't even boot up properly.

I will not buy new ram.

And then there is issue with coreparking, ram latency and whatnot.

Yeah, why would I buy the 1600X then, which is close to the price of the 1700 here?

>If your budget is that much get a better cooler
which is what i also said.
>closed loop cooler
costs more than an equivalent air cooler with the same performance
>Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the new chips tend to run hot anyways so a better cool will help.
what chips?

>Yeah, why would I buy the 1600X then, which is close to the price of the 1700 here?
I dont know. But you could get the 1600 (non X) for cheaper than both and with some OC get the same performance in most tasks.
In most places the 1600X is at least $70 cheaper than the 1700, it's a logical step down if you dont have a need for a 8c/16t CPU.

Coreparking was fixed day five on most boards (fucking asus), RAM latency was never a problem it was cross CCX latency which is affected by RAM mhz. Ryzen doesn't give a shit about CAS numbers.

Any stick will hit 2666mhz, but yeah to get past that only single rank Samsung chips will do it. Might be fixed with AGESA later. Just fuckin RMA the RAM if it's that big a deal.

You bought crappy Corsair RAM didn't you

don't you think its unwise to buy a 1st gen processor or gpu from a new line? Im nervous buying ryzen or vega because of the potential issues that will inevitably come.

Coreparking latency patch for windows is coming early April (probably creators update).

RAM compatibility isn't a big issue, as the mobos will be able to run almost any kit eventually. My motherboard went from being locked at 2166 to being able to run 2933 on last BIOS on my unsupported kit.

Just give it some time then. Thats what I plan to do.

>Any stick will hit 2666mhz

No, I have dual ranked ram, which will only run at 2400Mhz.

>You bought crappy Corsair RAM didn't you

No, Crucial Tactics ram for a very cheap price a few months ago

No RMA

And yes, it is a big deal thanks to Ryzen.

Try this -

pcpartpicker.com/list/FgnjKZ

Dual rank will run at 2666mhz famalam

Compatibility lists aren't accurate. Also don't buy garbage quality RAM and expect it to run at high speeds.

Mine isn't on the comparability list and runs 3200Mhz

>pcpartpicker.com/list/FgnjKZ
$1400 is out of my budget, so i definitely dont think I can get a 1080. Also, i currently have a 1TB mechanical that I will probably wipe for a new rig, but not exactly sure how to move my windows to the SSD.

>Get Ryzen.
>Nvme.
>Better PSU.
>Graphics card that doesn't spontaneously >combust. 3 fans.
>Better case.
>2x8GB

So which CPU cooler do you plan on actually buying? The 212 is probably good enough if you don't plan to OC or hit it too hard.

Get a Ryzen 7 1600(x) and a B350 motherboard plus a 1070 for your GPU

Dual cards are not great.

The main issue is alot of games don't support dual cards. You get heat issues. The perf is not 2x one card.

It's not great.

You don't need an X370 board. an ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS is 100 USD and can overclock just as well.

i was thinking about the cyborig one instead. also for the 1600x, where are you finding this? i cannot find it anywhere online.

this

>cyborig
cryorig? they have several models.

ok i understand now, its coming out soon and will cost $249. I have a question about the b350 though. Its only $99, will that bottle neck my pc? I would love to save money on it but I have no idea about the differences between mobos.

Buy a noctua nh-d15 and call it a decade.

>>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050Ti, RX470, GTX1060 6GB, RX480.
>not 1070

>asus
>am4
Woah, you're evil