/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Old Thread: Post your simple/small/stupid questions
Questions that dont deserve their own threads
Take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/AzMKWa0
darkcoding.net/software/facebooks-code-quality-problem/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, is this bubble sort and sums all primes below 2 million thing just a meme or will some retard HR person actually make me do it?

I have been learning c++ and i have everything else done expect the bubble sort.
Seems like it would be a retarded idea to make someone do this on a white board.

if you got only that you would consider yourself lucky
its basic and not very far behind foobar

Just bought a 4k monitor to go with my 1080p and I'm having a whole slew of minor grievances.

Chrome scaling is fucked, the hover text is tiny, download folder browser is tiny unlike the regular explorer folders.

Also the mouse doesn't go from one screen to the other properly at all. I understand the issue but I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Any suggestions on how to make a 4k with a 2k not a really shitty experience?

my aunt´s credit card was hacked and i wanna now if was from the computer

can i use some program to check it? or just pass Malwarebytes???

I know we've had this before, but:

What is the best language to learn if you want to become a programmer?
By best I mean that it teaches you basic concepts that can be applied to other languages and helps you learn them quicker.

right click your breakpoint -> conditions -> conditional expression -> on change and enter your variable

What are the ways to diagnose a problem with a motherboard? It doesnt even gets to BIOS.

forgot first.
Best first language.

C, C++

Is there a good tutorial out there to learn how to do diagrammatic modeling in LaTeX?

Or should I just give up and use yed and import the diagram I make to LaTeX?

Is it worth it to also/instead learn how to make graphs and shit in LaTeX?

Is the difference between a Z170 and Z270 something I should care about?

As far as I can tell its just the Intel Optane upgrade but can't Z170 boards just bios update to use them?

major one is that z270 makes your cabby lake cpu work out of the box
while z170 will need bios update, for which you need skylake cpu

Doesn't matter, wouldn't recommend C/C++ as said, as your phrasing suggest you want to be eased into it. Java, honestly. I think it's a good starter. It's in every curriculum and then when you do switch you can bash it all you want. I just think that the lower level access can throw people off.

It more specifically comes down to who you want to be professionally. You can go with mainstays and be generally easily hired or you can try to be more esoteric and go for things like assembly but maybe not find that many openings in your area.

I had no previous coding experience when I went to college, but I think not having to think about lower level stuff and a good stack trace is what makes Java a useful learning tool.

Beep codes if you've got a system speaker.
imgur.com/gallery/AzMKWa0

$uptime

>
4 users
>

well, theres root, and me, has bot_net() loaded two other users on my system?

I asked this in the last thread but didn't get any response, so here goes:

I am considering buying a flight stick and throttle but I am largely unfamiliar with them. So I would appreciate it if someone could share a preexisting Sup Forums breakdown (as exists with other peripherals) if such a breakdown exists for joysticks. Failing that I would like someone knowledgeable on the subject to give me some general information that I could use as a starting point for my own research on the topic (not so much a recommendation as a things to be aware of).

running Ubuntu 16.04
What is a music program that allows me to snyc my ipod classic ?

Does google ties past searches and sites visited to a newly created google account if you don't delete history, change ip and delete cookies?
What if you log out of one and then log into another, are they connected or do each of them have their own tracking cookie?

is there a way in visual studio to break debugging when a variable is updated? (c#)

did you try just plugging it on?

malwarebytes will givo you this info.

I upgraded my kernel to the latest stable release. Now my Wi-Fi driver doesn't work. I made sure to install the non-free packages, not sure why it's not working.

>Microshit Wangblows 7 Profushionul 64bit
alright, i'm trying to run a ClickOnce from a trusted source (fucking dell.com) and the faggot wont let me do it. I've already gone to Internet Options / Advanced and disabled pretty much every semi-related security feature up and down the rainbow with no success.

It worked out fine on the same machine earlier this week before installing Windows Updates, but i had to reinstall bc of BSODs and did the updates before the ClickOnce. I really dont want to do a third reinstall on my fresh SSD now.

Edit: do I need to completely remove the drivers and reinstall them?

3rd world NEET here.

I have been learning C, C++ and python since last year...how can i make a little money (200~300$ month) with those skills? thanks all!

just look for work. C programmers are quite wanted out there.

shoul've installed security updates only.

you can also try win10 LTSB and move on

well yeah it connects but just wondering if there is a program like music that can sync my music

where do i put this breakpoint? i honesly have no idea where my variable is being updated

try windows scaling

just how much shit am i getting into by using displayport to vga for my crt monitors?

Why doesn't this thing work with secureboot? Alternatives?

Retard here.
Let's say I have an extra hard drive plugged into my computer.

I don't access it. Nothing is being written or read from this drive. OS is obviously on another drive. This drive is simply plugged in and accessible; at any time I can just go and access it while my computer is on, but I don't.

Will simply having this drive plugged in lower its life expectancy?

I'm a noob. I'm trying to use Sublime Text 3, but I can't seem to get it working right. I want to be able to run my Python code in it, but it keeps saying REPL closed and giving me error messages. It's making me feel frustrated sexually. Please help me! PLEASE! I NEED HELP! HEEEEELLLPPP! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Whoops forgot pic. This picture describes my feelings towards my inability to rectify this conundrum.

What the fuck. I suppose it depends on your operating system. Some systems like windows, OS X, and baby versions of Linux will try to mount the drive automatically. OS X will likely format it immediately without asking you and then software raid it into your boot system. Windows will either do it by itself and give you the extra drive, or ask you on every startup, and Linux will probably mount it and mark it as unreadable or corrupt until you format it. Either way the disk is spinning around non stop. Has to be bad for it, just not as bad as being written to and read from. Or maybe it's even worse than being written to and read from spinning all the time without stop. Either way it's still being spun which means as a general real live expectancy will be lowered. The question I don't know how to answer is by how much.

is there a lightweight version of qubes?

Hyper-V
VMWare
KVM
Qemu

Is malwarebytes really good?
I have premium lifetime cracked key

No, the drive is already plugged in like any other drive.
Whenever I try to access it, I can audibly hear it start to spin up. It's an older/slower drive so it's relatively loud.

Is it really always spinning just from being plugged in and accessible? Why? Why doesn't it only spin when I try to access something on it?

What is the difference between an array and a vector?

Is this correct?
Array has the same number of elements. A vector is used dynamically.

common sense is better

most operating systems will idle-spindown disks that aren't being accessed after a period of time, so chances are it's not even fully powered on most of the time
it's pretty much a "cold spare", life expectancy shouldn't be much different to if it wasn't plugged in at all

Is Fedora a good distro to install for someone who is learning to use Linux in a desktop scenario/dual-boot, but already has a basic understanding of Linux itself?

>inb4 interjections

sorry, that should be hot spare
cold spare: hdd not plugged in, but ready to be if needed
hot spare: hdd that is plugged in and ready to be used, but isn't

Name a better newsreader than Google Groups
Protip:You can't

What are the yellow colored USB ports for?

flym

Genuinely do not know the answer to this. It makes sense to only turn them on when they're accessed. A more meta question would be why plug it in if you won't use it?

you put it where you want to break when it changes.

What is the fastest way to sync a directory on my NAS to an arbitrary directory on my Android phone's SD card (on the latest Android)? I tried FolderSync with Samba, but it's really slow, it takes like 6 minutes just to list around 10,000 files on the NAS, without copying anything (and it freezes a lot too on big shares). The software I use on my computer can handle that same sync in a few seconds.
Also, I need to be able to specify conflict resolution so it doesn't try to recopy a bunch of music to my phone when apps on my phone mess with the tags.

Yellow means it's always powered, even when the computer is off.

powered on usb
it'll suck power from the plug even if the laptop is off

only google knows.

but i want it to break as soon as the variable changes, with the breakpoint at that point where the variable is updated

So if I turn off my PC (leaving the power supply on of course) it will charge whatever is hooked in?
On laptops, is it going to just suck up battery life?

I'm about to put Windows 10 LTSB edition on another drive, do I want to update it or just leave it unupdated? will it force itself to update?

Any extra things I need to do for privacy?

you can't.

I swear I just saw on Google 2FA app that two of the sites had the exact same code. I only have three sites on there.

What are the odds of that?

It might only do it when connected to AC, I don't know. What I do know is that leaving it on makes my USB hard drive spin up after I shut down my laptop (even on a regular port), so I turned it off in the BIOS.

Any of u know how can I qucikly transform a list like: A B C D elements each one a new line into something like char* xD[] = { "A", "B", "C" } - I NEED TO DO THIS for 2000 lines

Another approach i tried was putting a break point on the setter of the variable, however this was never run, even when explicitly setting the variable, which is puzzling me

ZFS / Hard Drive Array Question:

Is it cheaper to buy tons of smaller capacity hard drives?... or is it cheaper to buy fewer higher capacity drives to reach the same capacity?

% sed -r 's-^(.) (.) (.).+$-char* xD[] = { "\1", "\2", "\3" }-'

About 1 I guess

Do the math on the lowest price you can pay per TB for a few HDD sizes, take in account any overhead sacrificed for parity or replication too.

more drives = more connections = more power consumption = higher electricity fees

Now what I have a file of 2000 elements and I want to sort it out into preferred structure?

Ah yes but it would be safer on the data. ZFS would much better rebound from a loss of 1/8th of an array than it would 1/4th from corruption or failure.

in a situation with a dual gpu, rather than 2 of the same card, how is the pci-e bandwidth distributed? Do both cores share a x16 link? or is the link divided into 2 x8 links over one pci-e lane?

There's a PCIe switch on the card, so the x16 link to the CPU is shared. The GPUs can communicate to each other without hitting the CPU though. Mobos with separate PLX switches do the same pretty much.

how do you know when your hard drive is done? My macbook hard drive cable stopped working for the 3rd time and i was booting it out of external hard drive enclosure and one day I opened it up in the morning, signed in and within 10 seconds it froze. I shut it off and rebooted it and the hard drive doesn't show up anywhere now. My old hard drive still works through the enclosure, is there anything I can do ?

More drives, more controllers, more things to fail too.

when you start getting blue screens.

Alright fa/g/s what is the difference between a laptop and a notebook? Some fag is insisting they're two distinct things, but there's really no difference, and don't say probably smaller because a minor decrease in size that doesn't make a major impact on function doesn't necessitate a whole new term.

Last thread someone told me that to alleviate storing massive lossless files on my computer that I could export just my timeline in vegas pro 13 and save that portion, allowing me to delete the bulky original file.

Well I just tried it and it copied both lossless files to a folder with a bunch of other crap, leaving me with two copies of these bulky files..

Am I missing something here?

There has to be a way to keep just the minute or two I want out of a 30 minute clip, in lossless format, without rendering it.....

ltsb only gets security updates, so updating is not an issue.
You should still disable automatic updates, which can be done through the group policy editor.
You can also limit the telemetry amount a notch lower than any other version (down to security instead of basic).

You can try running one of those privacy scripts, but I don't think you really need to. ltsb is basically safe.

Why is people obsessed with their facebook page getting hacked? Isn't that impossible at the time? Facebook Sucker-berg wouldn't hire noobs on his network security department amirite?

blank white screen on start up ?

ah ok. i had forgotten about the gpu being able to cross communicate. Good deal

na, they're the same thing

>in two continuously changing sequences of six numbers that happen to be the same when I'm looking
>chances are 1
Are you even trying? Here's your (You) regardless.

ye
darkcoding.net/software/facebooks-code-quality-problem/

yeah, it's busted.
Also why the hell are you still using hard drives on your laptops? Slap a 240gb SSD on that shit.

this shit is listed on Intels website in an easy to read comparison if you just google z170 vs z270, literally the first fucking result.

yes they do.
they can but not sure if they do, most likely yes.

every time you start and shut down the PC you reduce the lifespan a little, but it's so damn little you dont have to care about it.

it's pretty good.

Windows default settings will turn off the drive after some time if you dont access it.
But the only benefit of this is that you save one cent on your electricity bill.
If you access the drive a couple times per day it's better to change power settings so it's always on so it doesnt have to spin up/down between access which theoretically makes it last longer.
However, if you NEVER use the drive, just fucking unplug it from the PC.

LTSB only gets actual security updates.
There's almost no telemetry on it so you should not have to change any of that.

take total price and divide by GB for both alternatives and you have the answer yourself.

if you cant use the drive or the pc, it's fucked.
if files get corrupted or you cant access something, it's fucked.
if it gets super slow or freeze, it's fucked.
pretty simple when you think about it.

these anti telemetry things still cant completely disable it because that shit runs on kernel level. only way to detect if it's still sending shit is to monitor network activity.

Gotta ask once again in hopes someone can help me here.

So I got a Moto G4 with android N updated through OTA. I check multiple places and it's not exactly clear whether I can, after doing this update, unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP and put a ROM on it like Lineage OS.

Does anyone have the G4 and can confirm it's no issue to just tamper with this thing after having officially updated to 7.0?

yeah its the mid 2012 model so I upgraded to a 250gb ssd and that is the one that stopped working

I feel like there was something I heard about Win10 LTSB getting more "intrusive" updates starting march

did I hear wrong?

You probably heard wrong. The whole point of LTSB is that it's free of all the MS store app bullshit and features, and that it has minimal telemetry because it's supposed to be used in terminals and shit that needs the best long term stability. It even gets the security updates slower than the other versions of windows.

>ltsb
isnt that enterprise only?

yes.
It's enterprise 2015/2016 ltsb.

yes but you can download the evaluation copy of enterprise and install LTSB and use it forever unactivated, or just get the toolkit to activate it.

I want to backup tons of files in my computer. Music, documents, images, etc. It's better to just drag the folders or use a backup tool? I'm stupid when it comes to this.

depends.

a tool can continuously update any changes incrementally for you automatically so you dont have to drag and drop and overwrite/skip files manually.

I tried using request parameters nothing, request body with body parser nothing. This function doesn't see the req.params nor req.body, not until callback function... This is driving me crazy!!

Thanks. But If I'm backing up only once, those methods don't differ much, right?

I want to format my HD, but I don't want to lose my stuff. So I'm backing the stuff to an external HD and after formatting I'm putting it all back in my computer.

you can just drag everything over

Thank you!

no problem c:

yeah if you just need that, drag and drop is perfectly fine.