Moving to Germany

I'm thinking of moving to Germany to work in IT. What are my chances of getting a job if my German language level is basic and I could not use at work on a day-to-day basis? I know Python, JavaScript, SQL, a bit of PHP and Java. Are my skills relevant?

What are my chances of making it? I would like to move to a bigger city. Any Sup Forums-bros working in IT in Germany with similar experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017#salary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

English is fine in tech.
you better have formal qualifications.

I do have a degree in CS as well as experience (~5 years).

should be fine.
long-term employment is the norm in Germany so don't expect to be hired on a whim by an established company.

Do you know what would be most popular recruitment agencies in Germany?

no, sorry. your chances are better directly contacting companies anyway.

Thanks for your help!

>working in IT
>quoting programming languages you know
I have worked in It for about 10 years. I have only ever used autoit for work. I know some powershell and can write .bat scripts but the times i have used those is almost none.

Well clearly different people will have different experience and skills, m80.

have you ever used a ticketing system?
have you ever managed exchange?
are you familiar with the windows domain environment?
have you ever done support desk?

Yes
No
No
Yes

no IT department needs someone who can write javascript. dont be dumb.

>you better have formal qualifications.
This is so true. I had family get me an interview with the management of a tech company in Germany. They said they where impressed with my skills and knowledge but couldn't hire me without formal qualifications.

kill yourself

wtf is formal qualifications? like certs?

Don't, unless you are from a shithole.

Why not? Care to give any reasons?

Are you white?

Yes.

do you have an EU passport? if not, forget it.

inb4 Syrian kid takes your job with their I.E.D experience

>forget it
This, "forget it" and pose as a refugee.

tell them you're 2% Syrian and deserve equal opportunity

I'm not really that concerned about competition from some 3rd world country. I know what my skills are and I'm comfortable competing with them.

I do have an EU passport, but no CS degree (just another unrelated degree). Could I get hired?

stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017#salary

Pay sucks. Also even if you do get good pay, the government takes like 45% income tax flat, and then another 20% social security.

It's the same everywhere in Europe, m8.

University degrees or "Gesellenbrief" aka. Journeymans certificate (only relevant if your country has an apprenticeship system).

Pay sucks, yes but your number are wrong.
Tax plus health insurance together (SS is included in the taxes) maxes out at 48%.

beware of the culture.
Germany is exactly like the USA except when it is not. Wal-Mart learned that the hard way when they went bankrupt there.
You may have better chances at making decent money by going to Switzerland instead. They at least still value good skills and pay accordingly. IT in germany may be better than in other parts of europe but objectively it really sucks. No one ever wants to spend money on IT so the budgets of the IT departments are priced accordingly.
If you come from a particular area, try to talk directly to enterprises in that area. Do not go with the big corporations they are clueless morons. Germany is all about the "Mittelstand" and "Hidden Champions" little to medium sized companies that no one outside their field knows but who have global marketshares of 80% or more. Hope you enjoy living in the countryside because thats where most of them are. Particularly in Baden-Würtemberg and Bavaria.
Avoid east Germany and especially Berlin like the plague. Yes, depite Berlins reputation for being the IT-Startup capital. Life there sucks, people there sucks, pay sucks... Its one big hipster-circlejerk.

You can go through temp agencies but be prepared to get screwed over to some degree.

>Tax plus health insurance together (SS is included in the taxes) maxes out at 48%.

That's wrong. income tax is separate from SS, I see you don't live in Germany.

I lived there for 28 years, fuckface!
Stop taking Breitbart as the word of god on communist europe.

Yes, chances for IT are bright here..

Berlin:
Hipster mode. It has the most interesting culture, a lot of foreigners, plenty of startups, a lot of stuff going on.
On the downside it's pretty fast and flashy, relationships are more superficial, people are sometimes assholes and you need to "present yourself" constantly. Go for it if you think you're the hottest shit ever, because that's what most people in Berlin think of themselves (and their city).

Munich:
Easy mode. Lots of jobs (mostly bigger companies), people are more laid back as in Berlin, beer culture, great weather, the mountains are near and bavarians are fun. Downsides are that there is not as much input or foreigners as in Berlin, the city is not exactly "vibrating" but pretty laid back.

Hamburg:
Somehow a middle ground between Berlin and Munich. Lots of IT jobs, a lot of culture party and cool things (if you know what you are looking for), rough but honest and friendly people, open-mindedness, sea is near, lots of water.
Downside is the weather, it's often windy, they say "there are three differnt seasons every day" in hamburg.

Frankfurt:
Avoid if possible, unless you are a banker or want to get big into drug business. It's OK, but meh.

Eastern germany:
Difficult. There are some nice cities there, but I'd rather avoid it. Maybe Dresden or Leipzig, MAYBE Erlangen, forget about the rest. But generally I would not recommend it.

Stuttgart:
If you want a smaller town go here, black forest is near and super nice, the people are super rich rich and friendly, a little bit like switzerland.

Cologne/Düsseldorf:
Personally my cup of tea, but kinda OK there. Cuture and party, jobs.. But the people are wierd there.

Duisburg/Essen/Dortmund:
Avoid at all costs.

Why the hell would you go here?
Wages are shit and of what you get, the government takes 50%+

berlin sounds like a hellhole

Frankfurt is right behind Munich when it comes to IT jobs.
You have banks but also much more.

it really is.
If the americans decide to firebomb it a second time, many germans would donate the fuel

>Pay sucks, yes but your number are wrong.
Nah seems about average for people with 3+ years experience.
Unless you get one of the rare position in global american companies, you simply wont get much because german companies are super jewish when it comes to tech and a lot of them still have that 70s mindset.

I meant the tax numbers.
The salary numbers are ok. The were confirmed by Heise and Golem, to IT-newssites in germany.

Thanks. That's a really interesting summary.

Fuck off we're full

Yeah, full of refugees named muhammad

university degree or vocational training. absolute must in Germany.

Berlin is also pretty cool, it's maybe a little bit like London - or in the states NY would probably be a little bit similar. It gives you a lifestyle that is not there in other cities. If you want to eat something at 4 in the morning, you still get everything. Cool and open culture, a lot going on.
And yes, it's a hell hole. It's dirty and mean sometimes. Basically Berlin is a bitch: either you fuck her: then you can have the ride of your life. Or you will get fucked and wake up with a headache and ask yourself where your purse is.

IMHO great to see for a few days but not for living for a longer time.

I know Frankfurt has a lot of IT. I just think it's not a great place to live. It's OK, but not great.

You're welcome.

Erlangen is in Franken, Bayern, you idiot.

Sorry, I meant "Erfurt", not "Erlangen".

Also there are big differnces between Franken and Bayern, historically as well as how they see themselves (not talking about that "glubberer" accent.. ^_^).