/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-202-inexpensive-headphones-done-really-well
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-7506
head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1a-premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones
youtube.com/watch?v=sywUxZEqKlc
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880600ohm.pdf
amazon.ca/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B014ANW4VU
reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/microphones
youtube.com/watch?v=0MjNsNW8DvM
youtube.com/watch?v=3EXGV78yaXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

:)

ear speaker desu

FLAT RESPONSE CLOSED BACK MOBILE HEADPHONES NOW

>FLAT RESPONSE
>CLOSED BACK
>MOBILE HEADPHONES NOW
you want something that doesn't exist. try HD202.

innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-202-inexpensive-headphones-done-really-well

MDR-7506 perhaps.

If you're looking for over-ear, the MDR-V6 and the M40x both collapse into a smaller size and are on the neutral side.

I've been looking for the same. ATH MSR7 has a beyer tier treble spike, OPPO PM-3 has rolled off treble, Audeze EL-8 have a treble canyon at 7hz.

Why does this not exist smdh

Hydrogen link doesn't quite overlap what I wanted to say that much.
You're still very much missing the point I would have liked to make.

So I'll repeat the probing question from before: what do you think quantization error is in the abstract?

rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/mdr-7506

piece of shite

The residue of the quantization, or what's left if you substract the quantized signal from the actual original signal.

I'm not sure where you intend to take this desu.

accept bass into your life heretics

Evening /hpg/.

During the lunch break, I ordered a new set of headphones. Now I have an office of my own with a closed door so I can have open cans. Gonna retire my old IEMs by trashing them.

Fine, name a good set of bassy closed headphones above and below $300.

HD600.

Can't afford? Then HD598se or HD599 (minimal revision, minor bass improvement, I'd pay less than 30% more).

MDR-1A

What Hi-Fi memes are those?

How is the sibilance and vocal clarity on those?

Do you want vocal clarity?

Go HD600.

is this some sort of meme where you jump in with open back headphones when the conversation is obviously about mobile closed back

head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1a-premium-hi-res-stereo-headphones

>The mids are nice, very clear, a little creamy sounding, and just the right "distance" for my preferences. I will say that I like a mildly recessed mid-range, which is what I hear with these headphones. Male vocals tend to showcase that mild-recession more than female vocals. The bass blends slightly into these lower ranges of the mids, but contribute to more of a smoothing and creamy effect for the lower midrange as opposed to muddying or sloppiness. In fact, detailing and separation remains impressive and is aided by how well the mids blend into the higher frequencies. No spikes or shrill vocals to speak of. It is comforting to hear the mids so well represented here because often times when the “cool” kids show up with their crazy colors and bass and crash symbols, they tend to pick on the mids. Sometimes they get beat up, but at this party everyone seems to be getting along great.

>HD 600
>Closed-back headphones
Hmmm...

Some people are just overzealous about the HD600.

all sorts of memes combined into one giant shitpost

It's not like they're bad. Far from it.

They're OK. Not amazing, just OK. The definition of nothing special.

It's what makes them a good baseline for comparison.

Actually you can get MDR-1R for a neutral response apparentely

FOSTEX

>They're OK. Not amazing, just OK.
LMAO... post a time-stamped pic of your cans you're using right now. I can't take you seriously otherwise.

Okay, some loser Sennshill on the internet doesn't take me seriously. Big fuckin deal.

>It's what makes them a good baseline for comparison.
It's what makes them nothing short of amazing.

Trembling here after some HD600 with: youtube.com/watch?v=sywUxZEqKlc

See, you talk a lot but you can't back anything up. You're a definition of a loser. You've never even owned expensive headphones yet you pretend you know what you're talking about.

if you want to shut me up, post a pic of your setup. If you can't, you're just another clueless shithead.

>Sennheiser shills can't handle any opinions against Sennheiser
Kek.

Believe whatever makes you feel better. I'm not emotionally invested enough to take photos of my setup here just to prove my worth to some loser.

Holy shit, buttmad from a single post.
Is this a new record, /hpg/?

>open video
>see some 3DPD whore
>close video

>I'm not emotionally invested enough to take photos of my setup
LMAO... wow... what an excuse.

I'm LOLing IRL at how pathetic you are. Your life must be depressing as shit when you waste your life away pretending on an anonymous image board.

I'll leave you to your delusions... don't bother replying. I don't care.

Okay.

Ayyy, the dumb anime poster strikes again! Have fun with your driver matching, good goy!

innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

I think I triggered him so much he ragequit.

>Budget
$230
>Location
US
>Source
Probably a Fiio E6 unless I need something more.
>Type of headphone
Looking at DT 990. I want something with detail/imagery, but can also be fun. Don't want too much soundstage either.
>Open or closed
Either.
>Comfort level
At least a 7/10
>Sound signature
I need to have bass
>Past headphones
AKG K712. They didn't have any bass. it didn't really sound like $300 to me. It was just clear. there's nothing that stood out.
>Purpose
Mainly gaming/Waching anime.

thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure that like every other headphone, they're not perfect on paper.

They do, however, sound so fucking good.

It's been the same dumb anime shitposter this whole time. It's best to ignore; can't stand any arguments against Sennheiser.

Also, the word "ragequit" isn't permitted here, user.

HD598se. HD599 for a hint more bass, but they're just a minor revision... don't pay too much extra for them.

>DT990
Ouch. These are sibilant and flawed. Terrible, terrible treble peak.

>comfort level
If you care... the HD598se are seriously comfortable.

That's noire's seiyuu.

You'd think nep-nep would know.

>clearly didn't read the part where he thought the K712 didn't have any bass

Stop recommending neutral headphones to someone who obviously wants bassy ones.

And the DT-990 is just fine.

Fidelio X2

They do. I just hope their driver matching is more on point.

Q701:
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGQuincyJonesQ701.pdf

DT 880:
innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880600ohm.pdf

The point of anime is that I don't have to look at ugly 3DPD.

>I need to have bass
>HD 598
>HD 599

Yeah you're right, I don't want neutral headphones at all.

looks like I can buy one used for $185. would an Fiio E6 be enough to power it?

niggær bass?

Perhaps buy a boom box.

It's pretty efficient so it would be powered fine on a phone, laptop and probably a console controller

Fidelio X2 for more bass than treble
DT 880 for a more neutral DT 990

Headphones, user.

>Budget
$100
>Location
US
>Source
iPhone 6s
>Type of headphone
IEMs
>Comfort level
Not ipod earpods
>Past headphones
m40x's

Bonus points for anything with a metal housing.

What's the point. If all you want is bass, a pneumatic hammer will do the trick.

Does it really not need an amp? I'm so used to people shoving the idea down my throat all headphones needs an amp.

>Not being able to recommend any non-neutral headphones
Kek. You gonna show me that ""study"" again?

X2's don't need an amp don't need much power to sound how it's supposed to.

What study?

user might want to just get some beats by dre. They're popular among people who like their bass strong.

>X2 TrustyFucks™
>Sound like it's supposed to
They're colored AF and will never sound the way it's supposed to, you silly goose.

Ahhh, so you're not that user. But there are better bassy headphones than Beats by dre. ;^)

Are you going to keep on shitposting, or are you going to recommend some nice bassy headphones for poor user over there?

Good thing user's not asking for neutral headphones, eh?

well damn, that's some good news. Thanks user, looks like I'll have to get them.

Good evening

X2 doesn't need an external amp. My tablet/phone drives them to levels louder than what I prefer to listen at.

i plan on getting an hd598se soon, but i wanna be able to use it on my ps3 cuz of mgo2r
is using something like this going to be ok?
amazon.ca/TROND-Headphone-Microphone-Plug-N-Play-Compatible/dp/B014ANW4VU

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on them?

reddit.com/r/letsplay/wiki/microphones

>Budget
$200, but preferably up to $150
>Location
Europe
>Source
PC, willing to buy cheap amp
>Type of headphone
Over-ears
>Open or closed
Open
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I really love the sound signature, but I'm looking for something more open

help

>Budget

Under $500

>Location

'Murica

>Source

Schiit Stack

>Type of headphone

Full sized, over ear.

>Open or closed

Doesn't matter.

>Comfort level

I wear it 12 hours a day, I have permanent bumps in my skull from my Q701s, something that won't do that.

>Sound signature

Lots of bass + sub bass, no painful highs.See image.

>Past headphones

M50, Q701, HD600

nice

I'm guessing thoughts on sound? They have the most bass out of all the headphones I currently own (the m40x maybe on par, but I have never directly compared the two). You'll definitely notice the change coming from the k712, low end has more quantity, but rolls off rather steeply below 60hz. Mids will be a bit more recessed than the K712, and the treble is a tad smoother, but not as detailed-sounding.

Afternoon! Finally got home and can enjoy some good music.

Downloaded some Hiroyuki Sawano albums at work today and can't wait to give them a listen.

HD598se.

Eventually consider getting a fulla2 amp.

I approve waifu (voiced by mimorin! like sonoda umi) and headphones.

The week is already half over, it sure went by very quickly

What's a good way to test sound stage? And any recommendations for songs that are good for testing highs?

My normal go to is my Senneheiser IE80s. My Gf just got a pair of Senneheiser Momentum 2.0 (over ear wired). I'm currently trying to compare them, granted I know IEM's and Closed back over ears are not really the same use case.

Just listening to some "3d audio" crap on YouTube, I am noticing a notable difference in, what at lest my understanding of, sound stage.

Thanks user.

>The week is already half over, it sure went by very quickly
Can't wait for Friday!!
ps: Madoka Magica was awesome.

Yosi Horikawa has some pretty neat songs for testing headphones.

How do the modded HD 558s compare?

I'd just EQ the thing that you find most comfortable. Start with something that is more or less neutral and then add some bass and remove treble. You won't find that precise signature.

youtube.com/watch?v=0MjNsNW8DvM

TIL: HD600 has plenty of bass.

dood wat
i already know what microphone i want, v-moda boompro
i was asking if my headset will still sound fine with that cheap usb audio adapter

What makes HD598 Cs a meme?

*headphones

>thanks user
Harapure! Pure de pure~
>Madoka Magica was awesome.
youtube.com/watch?v=3EXGV78yaXI
Serious business.

What happened to you m40x´s?

They share nothing except the "HD598" substring with the proper open HD598.

And they're colored shit with the same drivers as the proper, neutral-targetting HD380 Pro, which is what you should get if you want closed senns.

Remember: Flat is justice!

You can feel the overflowing love.

Too bad they can't be honest with their feelings for each other.

Good.
But, this doesn't inform us much about the nature of the error content.
For now we consider quantization error as uncorrelated to the signal, as white noise. The error is distributed over the bandwidth of the converter.

By increasing sample rate, the total quantization noise is spread over a greater bandwidth. The total error is held the same. Doubling the bandwidth reduces the noise in the intended range by ~3 dB, 4x nets you 6 dB.
Oversampling becomes steadily more inefficient as you increase the oversampling factor. We can manipulate the spectrum of quantized artifacts, and push them into the range outside the intended signal. A combination of digital and analog lowpass filters suppresses the noise transfer function.

The really simplified idea behind a delta-sigma converter, basically.

awesome song. thanks user! enjoying it right now.

The plastic housings on each side - pic related - decided to snap for no reason (just usual computer use and they cracked about a month apart from eachother). They still work fine, but they're ducttaped up a bit and I can't use them for the long train rides I take weekly or when I'm out walking. I've been using the stock pods since I got this phone but it's getting too much. I need something comfy and good.

Much hate for the noise. See Amiga video I linked above.

I love that shit. Pretty much like how "nearest" sounds better to me than the many-tap resamplers. Sometimes worse is better.

Still, I understand it'd be insane to spend any more on amps and dacs than I already have, particularly when regardless of the approach taken in the DACs, the differences should be way past invisible.

I'll enjoy what I have for now, and eventually get more cans.

Retiring for the night now.

Glad you liked. It's from Madoka as you've definitely noticed.

Kalafina FTW.

Gonna take a nap... gotta get up and go work in a few hours :X.

Will hopefully have nice dreams involving sonoda umi and her wonderful voice...

faget

lol.. take care user!

why so mean >_