As you may have noticed there was not much traction in the MPC-HC project in the recent months...

>As you may have noticed there was not much traction in the MPC-HC project in the recent months. We do apologize if you felt bad about that. Unfortunately, we were not able to provide as much development time as MPC-HC deserves. We believe MPC-HC is a very capable player and we want to keep it rocking for much more years to come. Sadly, currently, we don’t really have the manpower to do so. But this does not mean we want to give up here. We consider this release as a new starting point and hopefully, we will slowly but steadily improve MPC-HC.

>If you care about MPC-HC’s future, please contact us. Report issues that you want to be worked on and most importantly send patches if you can; even small changes help us move forward.

mpc-hc.org/2017/03/06/1.7.11-released/

What do we do now, Sup Forums?

Go back to VLC? I'm disgusted just thinking about having to use that shit player again.

Why is VLC more active than MPC-HC when VLC is shit?

Because it just works. It doesn't need tons of patches to make it usable (see other players: mpv,vlc, etc)

what's wrong with your current mpc-hc install?

Is there any feature that MPC-HC is missing that would make you want to switch?

Because it works just fine for me, it has all the features I need, and the performance is great even in my shitty Atom tablet.

It probably has tons of unpatched security vulnerabilities

It's going to be useless by next year when the AV1 codec ships.

>Is there any feature that MPC-HC is missing that would make you want to switch?

That's not the point. MPC-HC is on life support. We will have to switch someday just like we had to switch from Sonique to Winamp.

>MPC-HC is on life support.
It's just a piece of software. Does it work? Yes? Then it's not dead.

>just like we had to switch from Sonique to Winamp.
No you didn't. You chose to switch because of lack of new versions.
There are still people out there using Opera 12 just fine. There are even people using Windows XP and 7.

Besides, the solution is right there.
>If you care about MPC-HC’s future, please contact us.

what patches does mpv need to "make it usable"

>Why is VLC more active than MPC-HC when VLC is shit?

because VLC is shit.

>Just works
>VLC

MPC-HC is not closed source shit though, it's also not dead.

By 'please contact us' they mean give us money

It will die because it's Windows only.

Fuck I keep finding myself back to using MPC-HC because it looks nice, I don't have to spend an hour fucking with key bindings to make things work like in SMplayer, and the best part is that it works out of box with things like Taiga (While SMplayer did not.)

Anyways, it sounds like they are at least trying. So I guess we will see

>hahah fucking freetards will never get amazing software like MPC-HC or Foobar, enjoy your github drama
>five years later, projects get abandoned and the software dies
my face right now

Huh, I thought everyone had already switched to mpv.

Good thing MPC-HC is modular so you can use external Lav Filters on it so even if MPC-HC no longer gets updated by itself you can just update Lav Filters, video renderers like MadVR or subtitle renderers like AssMod..

I refuse to fall for the mpv meme.
I'll go see what alternative Madshi recommends.

I fell for it. its pretty neat, especially for streaming.
no regerts

Foobar is fine though

Sup Forums is full of retards who think mpv requires programming knowledge.

Nice projection there. No one but you thinks lacking a proper GUI = requiring programming knowledge.

You have really poor reading comprehension. My sentence clearly indicates I don't believe that.

What a moron.

You're still shit at this.

MPC-BE is always being worked on right? So what's the point of keeping MPC-HC?

literally nothing

I literally havn't updated mpc in 4 years and it runs just as good as before. What fucking development does it need ?

BE is really buggy

mpv >

I made the jump to MPC-HC from VLC and I have to say I wish I found it sooner

It has a proper gui
play, pause, skip, audio tracks, subtitle tracks

what the fuck more do you want in your shitty ass UI?

my mom & step dad use it on their computer/tv to watch all the shit on my media server they say they love it because it doesn't have any buttons to fucking click and all they do is full screen and done

It doesn't need a GUI. It just needs a config utility that shits out the config file so you don't have edit it manually.

mpv is literally the only player that just works.
you don't need to install it or navigate complex menus, you just put it on whatever folder or drive on whatever computer you want and it will play videos.

VLC Master Race

You don't have to do anything to the config at all.

that seems kind of confining.
editing the config in notepad lets me do shit like have all webms loop and only youtube streams auto-close when done.

>I made the jump to MPC-HC from VLC and I have to say I wish I found it sooner

I did that too years ago. It was like when I jumped from Winamp to Foobar2000. Truly an improvement.

I think I might have to jump to mpv when MPC-HC dies, though.

mpv is just the next stage in our evolution, you need to do it sooner or later

You don't have to do anything but sometimes you want to

It's not confining at all. Having an external config utility doesn't mean that you can't also edit it manually to do more complex things. Anyway this is what people actually mean when they complain about mpv not having a GUI. So now you can stop asking 'What you need a GUI for?' every time it's brought up.

>mpv is literally the only player that just works.
>mfw trying to watch something with mpc-hc but it LITERALLY can not play my videos after this update, even though I haven't even updated it yet

I just think people should give it a shot as is.
I'm a dumb windowsfag that is terrible at anything that doesn't have a plain GUI.
I never use a terminal or anything that needs direct input to be exactly right.

I still figured out how to make it act the way I want and copied the configs of some people off Sup Forums for the video quality.
And now I've set it up I can copy the same install and config to any PC since its portable.

>You don't have to do anything to the config at all.

That's not true. Sometimes you need to customize for your specific hardware. Sometimes the default options aren't what you prefer.

A significant number of people will need to edit the config.

Yeah, this announcement is making me take a serious look at mpv.

> copied the configs of some people off Sup Forums for the video quality.
This is your average mpvkek.

>copied the configs of some people off Sup Forums for the video quality.

This is pure neet autism right here. I can tell you aren't employed from this sentence alone.

>I still figured out how to make it act the way I want and copied the configs of some people off Sup Forums for the video quality
That's the problem. It doesn't have to be that way.

>And now I've set it up I can copy the same install and config to any PC since its portable.
And a config utility wouldn't take that away. It would still be the same portable video player with a config file.

no, you NEVER HAVE to do that. No user EVER has to do that.

It's great to do, sure. I don't argue it because I do it myself to mess around etc. But there is no reason you HAVE to do it and any user can grab mpv and just go

?
You guys cry that mpv is too complicated and then when I explain how I circumvented that you get mad?

>no, you NEVER HAVE to do that. No user EVER has to do that.

Bullshit. The default options don't work for everybody's preferences. The hardware settings don't work optimally for every hardware config.

>how I circumvented that

You only made mpv seem difficult to use by having to consult Sup Forums for settings that you had to copy to make it work the way you wanted.

What security threats would a video player bring?

I just keep using it since it just werks.

>What do we do now

Continue using MPH-HC, you fucking retard.

what the fuck is wrong with VLC

it plays videos, what else do you fucking want

>using dead software

no, retard

So what I said was correct, you never HAVE to do it.
Nobody said it was optimal, except you. All that was said is it isn't REQUIRED to do and you'll play movies fine.

>having a dead brain

Good luck in the Special Olympics. Retard.

Literally everyone in this thread has an uncalibrated TN monitor.

Joke's on you I have three uncalibrated IPS monitors.

Nope. Calibrated IPS here.

>using mpc-hc
>in 2017

>can not play my videos after this update, even though I haven't even updated it yet

im sorry you're retarded

Mpc-hc runs everything I throw at it, no need to change

>using anything else
>2017

Until the AV1 codec next year.

Enjoy your dead video player.

videos that don't look like shit

>install AV1 filter
>???
>profit

>mpv is literally the only player that just works.
>Doesn't navigate through files in the same folder by default, you need to write a script to add videos to the playlist to do that

How is it dead since k-lite gets updated every second week?

>Enjoy your dead video player.
Said the increasingly nervous MPV shill for the 50th time this week.

>he needs a codec pack for his video player

What is this? 2002?

>What do we do now, Sup Forums?

Keep using it until it breaks? Seriously.

0 development to Winamp since 2013 and it works A-OK.

>What do we do now, Sup Forums?
Read what you posted. It tells you what you could do.

Fuck your noise. I'm not going to trash my entire laptop just to get hardware support for watching anime in slightly higher quality on my ten year old monitor just because some bald-headed hoe is autistic about banding. H264 for life.

>I don't have a job

I'm literally waiting for AV1 to drop in order to get my next desktop. Plus I'm holding out for OLED monitors to drop in price.

My laptop's i3 is enough.

>acting like installable codecs are a negative

>installing codecs
>2017

We use mpc-hc for a reason, dummy.

and one of those reasons is that you can install high quality codecs for any format you require and have compatibility with 15 years of directshow software

Who the fuck cares? I just update my player. Fuck adding codecs. You're retarded.

Underage.

I like it and they finally fixed the issue where my videos would play upside down from my nexus 5X

>he is not using media player dot net

Kys

Can mpv download subtitles with 1 keybind and 1 click like mpc-hc ?
Is there an actual playlist where i can just drag anything i want?
Does it play files in the same folder even though i don't as them to my playlist?

Unless it can do this easily then there's no reason to switch off mpc-hc

MPC-HC could die today and I probably wouldn't need to switch for another decade.

Why don't you just take a look at their manpage and user-script repo yourself? Nobody here is obligated to spoonfeed your lazy ass.

>2013
Oh, user.

Cause all the shills saying mpc-hc is dead. So prove it's better. I tried mpv years ago and it was needlessly striped of functionality due to non existent UI.

BUT MUH MINIMALISMUH

MPV is better now. Its more than usable these days. Meanwhile, your mpc-hc has been stripped of developers so yeah, you have no future and no room to talk.

I don't understand the GUI focus you winfags have. A proper ini file is thousand times more readable and ONLY contains the options you actually changed. That makes it far easier to share and doesn't need to include hardware specific shit.

On a related note, I use mpc-hc with SVP4 for 60fps playback. Is there something similar for VLC? SVP4 itself is a lot better with mpc-hc.

Until then, there's no reason for me to switch to vlc.

It's not about what format is the config file you fucking retarded piece of shit. You can have a simple GUI with select options which writes to txt file and you can edit it manually if you're so inclined to being a retarded "hacker".

>damage control
I don't mind simple ini file for controls that i need to set once or twice for my personal taste but the UI is definitely too striped of functionality for me

>Why is VLC more active than MPC-HC when VLC is shit?
Easy answer: Popular among normies and people who THINK they know shit when they don't.

They usually don't know MPC-HC, let alone SMPlayer (a GUI for MPlayer and MPV)

Is there anything similar to madvr's NNEDI3 scaling available for MPV? I thought madvr was a meme before I tried it but the difference is really visible with sub-1080p video. Sure it's gets 50%~80% load on my gtx1070 but whatever.

Opinions on SMPlayer?

That functionality is already built in

>Last Update: 8 hours ago
Neat. Probably I will move to this if MPC-HC dies.

>Simple GUI
Yeah, fuck yourself. I will not wade through thousands of options that a GUI for mpv would have to show just to find the one responsible for you having shit taste. It's far more easier to just ctrl+f'ing 'MADVRxDD' through the man page and adding the lines I need.

What's missing? You can do everything you need to do with the current file, you can also do whatever the fuck you want with scripts and whatever. It's not meant to be a dedicated media library. that's what competent file managers are for.