First Ashes of the Singularity patch to improve Ryzen support is out, more coming according to Oxide games

First Ashes of the Singularity patch to improve Ryzen support is out, more coming according to Oxide games.

Was the "they'll patch it" meme real for once?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update
pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen
youtube.com/watch?v=LgbWu8zJubo
youtube.com/watch?v=OjdJ1RU4ulU&t
youtube.com/watch?v=TSYuEopnCfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pcper is pretty biased against AMD, is that why they left out the fact that it now beats the 6900k at high preset?

is this the kuhrazy cpu benchmark?

just this:

pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

Probably.
It must have beat the 6900k at "high" so they left it out. Also odd that they didn't test the 6900k at 3200mhz. It surely would have done better on "extreme" there, but they didn't want to show the greater gains Ryzen gets with faster memory?

Pcper are known to be dumb shills.
And outside of their actual technical guys on staff, lazy, seeing as how they ommited showing the 7700k getting stomped.

31% performance increase. Pretty nice, when people were saying 30% performance increases with optimizes in games would be impossible.

Fuck pcper.

Now we really see why the 1400, 1500, 1600 were delayed.

The next batch of Ryzen reviews should be really interesting unless Intel has a magic trick to pull out of their ass.

All the gains are from the 3200MHz RAM which only 5% of mobos/chips can achieve btw.

Notice they are not running intel on the same RAM.

You're an idiot.

Go read about infinity fabric, dipshit.

exactly this
they completely omitted the 6900k

Intel gains pretty much nothing from RAM speeds you idiot.

The only reason Ryzen does is because of the CCX design.

Retard shill detected

>All the gains are from the 3200Mhz RAM
>picture clearly shows both 2400 and 3200 were re-tested
I stand corrected.
You're a cock sucking retard.

They don't

How does 7700K compete against 6900K and 1800X in that game?

I'm talking about the massive gains between RAM and pointing out most people cannot run at 3200 on Ryzen...

Are you retarded?

Now run 3200 on Intel and re-test, you won't see a massive increase but you will still see one. Now go to 4600 and you will see even more improvement.

combination of game devs only coding for a certain amount of cores and usage etc, and then intel's mediocre performance gains for their price

Here's a launch bench for you to compare to. Should beat it handily now.

The new patch updated thread pooling to avoid CCX bottlenecks.

AMD paid $1.5 million for this patch btw.

you are a fucking dumbass, just kill yourself already

All boards support 3200Mhz. Dumb people will buy RAM without checking if it will work. 2 minutes of reading will get you 3200Mhz with 100% certainty.

On that note, every BIOS patch has made compatibility better.

Intel would gain 1~2% at most off RAM speed. Only exception is Fallout 4.

1800x = $500
6900k = $1000

1800x = 91.44% of 6900k performance in AotS
> 73.8 / 80.7 = .9144
1800x = 50% the cost of 6900k

Keep yapping like a slack jawed nigger.

Considering it's only about 3 weeks of work no they didn't.

Thanks. So that game clearly needs more than 4 core.

Pcper's benchmarks show the gains are 18-31% for a given RAM speed depending on configuration.

So... no.

The 1700 was performing worse than the 7700k in ashes before this update.

>AMD paid $1.5 million for this patch btw.

how do you know?

Intel has no magic tricks
They might have if they had competent people in charge, but instead they've got some retard who's been throwing millions of dollars away at funding SJW activists instead of Intel engineers and technicians.

For the past 5 years Intel's basically invested fuck-all into R&D because they didn't see AMD as a credible threat. Beancounters just don't see any reason to 'waste money' on research when you've got a de-facto monopoly. No problem wasting money on fucking identity politics activists tho.

So for the next 2-4 years Intel has literally no response to AMD. They prepared for continued monopoly with marginal revisions/iterations on their current chips rather than architecture redesigns or general computer hardware advancement. This is why you don't let beancounters and marketers run your company.

you really think AMD spent 1.5 million on a patch like this

good one

To be honest, I don't think ANYONE thought AMD could do it this well. This is the biggest shake up in PC hardware in a decade.

Not 2-4 years, at most it'll be 2
Intel's been pretty spooked by the hype from ryzen for some time, and the reveal scared the hell out of them
I'd expect major price cuts and bigger performance gains

Eh, Intel was supposed to enter WORRY mode the moment AMD started to hire old (and new) talent back.

Woah it took AMDs most loyal puppet company this long to patch Ryzen bias into its game?

That's worrying.

Thanks. Nice.

So in all likelihood it'd probably be around 95 fps in that test at 720p if they reran it again.

91.44% at DDR4 2400.
6900k improves with faster memory too, obviously, but Ryzen even more.

I bet the performance is more like 95% if both had DDR4 3200 but the shills at pcper didn't want to test that (or omitted the results).

Well 400 engineering hours according to the developer (which seems high. That seems like bullshit marked up hours to bill higher. I'd guess it was at least 50k, but far from 1.5 million.

Coffeelake is bringing 6 core on the mainstream socket. That's actually going to be tough competition for the 1600/X considering no CCX issue and games are already optimized for it pretty much.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "8600k" is 4c/8t for $250 as well.
Intel can't compete with this 4 thread garbage being sold at $160-$250.

>tho.
Opinion discarded.

uhh jim keller?
this
AMD hiring Jim Keller half a decade ago should have made intel drop all their money into R&D instantly.
the white man is so based he can destroy a company by himself

H-haha, yeah three weeks of optimizations only netting a 30% increase in performance... s-s-stupid AMD

AMD didn't pay anything, Oxide has been in bed with them for years, all their shit from their games to website have AMD logos plastered in them. It's like how Ubisoft has Nvidia shit all over their site and games.

Only difference being it's perfectly alright when AMD biased games are benchmarked.

>Ashes of the Singularity

AMD is directly supporting certain engines to prop up DX12 performance. They give them a ton of support and engineers.

AMD has called out a few devs for doing it right, because of their oversight obviously.

1.5 million is what I would assume the resources they need it to accomplish it, by giving them a few high end engineers for a few weeks, support, probably extra funds etc, might be even more.

"The statement begins with Taylor reiterating the momentum of AMD to support developers both from a GPU and a CPU technology angle. Getting hardware in the hands of programmers is the first and most important step to find and fixing any problem areas that Ryzen might have, so this is a great move to see taking place. Both Oxide Games and Creative Assembly, developers of Ashes of the Singularity and Total War respectively, have publicly stated their intent to demonstrate improved threading and performance on Ryzen platforms very soon."

pcper.com/news/Processors/AMD-responds-1080p-gaming-tests-Ryzen

And Clark, and Raja, and Paparmaster and a whole lot of other people. But we'll, that's what you get for letting bean counter run hardware company.

Just noting their tardiness, shill.

Oxide had their 980ti benchmark gimping patch out for AotS the day before the RX 480 launched, figured they'd have preemptive bench padding out for Ryzen before its launch.

>To be honest, I don't think ANYONE thought AMD could do it this well.
>ANYONE

>by giving them a few high end engineers for a few weeks
>support
>probably extra funds etc, (??????)
>1.5 million

lmao

You have to keep in mind they didn't have any ongoing projects in CPU hardware/architecture design until maybe 4-8 months ago when they finally got wind of what AMD's up to. They've got iterations for kaby/coffee/whatever lake, they can keep doing that - But they don't have an architecture revision in the pipe the way AMD did with Ryzen.

>Coffeelake is bringing 6 core on the mainstream socket. That's actually going to be tough competition for the 1600/X considering no CCX issue and games are already optimized for it pretty much.

Yeah it is, and I wouldn't be surprised if it ekes ahead of the 1600x, but it's a bandaid on a stab wound. The knockout punch is going to come next year when AMD releases their Zen+ revision. We've already seen some really easy low-hanging-fruit improvements that could be made to Zen. Zen+ is going to fix the overclock wall and CCX at the very least and you can screenshot me on that.

side note.

whats up with amd fanboys. amd releases a product that hardly overclocks, was over hyped with misleading tech demos, and had trouble working with faster ram. As necessary updates to Ryzen Roll out reviewers Test and Retest to be thorough, and Fanboys think everyone is Bias because Reworld Tests arent showing anything special. Especially when games and everyday tasks arent designed to take advantage of what Ryzen has to offer, like heavily multithreaded production software is. AMD releases a Bike with square wheels and Fanboys Moan that the Roads are bias for not being rounded.

youtube.com/watch?v=LgbWu8zJubo

Coffeelake isn't till end of year, which will be price cut territory for Ryzen.

Also it's been confirmed that there's a revision on the way which has the IMC running 1:1 with RAM instead of 1:2 meaning you'll get double the gain for RAM speed you get now (until you hit diminishing returns, but we know up to 3600Mhz still makes a difference). So even cheap RAM kits will run at the best expected current performance level.

>gimping
>intel performance hasn't changed

F-f-fucking AMD, cooking the books again

You never worked in the industry and are probably some stupid kid. Everyone does this. A few million is nothing to get better performance on an engine tested in 90% of mainstream benchmarks.

more like intel's been using square wheels all this time and charging people to use their shitty roads and now AMD has circular wheels but idiots are still using intel square roads.

Which video game developer did you work at last that spent 1.5 million dollars paying a handful of engineers to optimize your game for a few weeks?

less than the 6 gorrilian that intel pays for shills per day

BTW all of this is good news. Zen will be improved and many issues will be ironed out in the next year, before revisions or even Zen 2 comes out, I think this is where they will really become a competitor and make a dent.

Meanwhile Intel is pushing the R&D hardcore mode. Unless they fail, they will release something insane in a year or two or at least slash prices.

We will see 30-40% improvements in CPU performance in a few years for the same price. Not just task specific optimization, but overall.

CPU market has been stagnate for years and really fucking needs this.

Look it happens. My dad works at nintendo and he said they paid five software engineers $6billion to implement Zelda's hair physics in an afternoon.

you should understand that the example still works.
a company building a product that doesn't fit the standard market, and an Obsessed Fan base wondering why its not hitting its stride. the wheels and roads will be tweaked over time, so the Hysteria and conspiracy theories just look ridiculous. And when Benchmarks are now heavily dependant on Multiple Updates, its not surprising if different reviewers have different results before and after dozens of updates.

tl;dr: its a shit show, give it time.

>3200MHz RAM which only 5% of mobos/chips can achieve
day1 sure, now it's 100% of boards.

I'm sure it'll be faster than the 1600X.

But I'm also sure it'll be around $400 and require a $30 more expensive motherboard as well. So that's $180 more expensive.

So yeah. It's going to take more than Coffeelake and Skylake-X (especially when X390 is looking to shit on Skylake-X. And are people really going to buy a new $200 motherboard for the 7740k, even if the 7740k is only $250...?)

Intel has to drastically change their designs. Drop the wasted iGPUs on die. Stupidest fucking thing ever that does not justify the prices they charge.

They currently can't compete with how affordably AMD can make Ryzen. If Intel simply drops prices 30% to compete, they cut their margins in half and share holders sue them. They need CPUs that are even cheaper to make like Ryzen are.

Yeah I'm not saying Coffeelake is going to completely turn things around.
I'm just saying it'll compete a bit better while the i3 and i5 lineup now doesn't remotely compete at all in any way at all.

Intel will go from way behind and caught with their pants down to at least being justifiable to fanboys, maybe.

Still not 100%, but seems to be "most" as long as the RAM isn't garbage.

>Hardly overclocks.
R7 1700 can do +1000mhz from base on air.
i7 7700k can do 800
4000/3000=1.33
5000/4200=1.19
>being this bad at math on a tech board.
7700k would have to run at 5.6Ghz to match the 33% overclock.
>7700k only turbos 3 bins
turbolets will defend this

people have this misconception about 1700, they think it's 3.6 CPU
its 3.0 CPU that goes to 3.9 ffs

I'm actually ok here with the 7700k being left out, the 6900 though......no not at all. Considering that the R7s compete with the 6900 line up it makes sense to compre the two. What needs to happen is when R5 launches that those get extensively compared to the consumer i7 and i5 line up.

It goes to 3.75 stock.
It's all core turbo doesn't go to that. Only when only 2 cores are being used.

Most people don't reach 3.9 perfectly stable all core at reasonable 24/7 voltage, either. And if you clock too high you get worse performance from stability features kicking in. So people end up thinking their 3.9 is stable but get worse performance than if they ran at 3.8.
The same thing happens with Intel CPUs. Everyone thinks they have golden silicon and have 5.0 stable, but really it's not stable and would perform better if they dialed it back to 4.8 or 4.9 where safeguards aren't tripping.

Let's not act like there's no reason for AMD fans to be paranoid with the media, and the tech industry as a whole.

So when AMD comes out with a competitive product that is shooting WELL above it's weight, there's going to be a massive amount of support behind it. And a VERY critical eye towards a shitty media who operates as marketing department budgets. Watching for ANY shady shit. So if you're a reviewer and you don't like being second guessed and criticized? Get a new fucking job.

It's still priced around the 7700k. People see it as competition to it. That's absolutely reasonable. The 1700 is actually about $60 cheaper than the 7700k given the included decent cooler and the cheaper motherboards.

All benchmarks should have the G4560, 8370, 7500, 7600k, 7700k, 1700, 1800x, 1600x, 1500x, 1400.
Maybe throw in some other older CPUs like the 2500k and 4790k as well.

I think everyone can agree those would give relevant results.

You know what I learned from this launch? Average fps do not matter and that 90% of reviewers are hacks.

Double aughts confirmed.

>Still not 100%, but seems to be "most" as long as the RAM isn't garbage.

rip corsair

Once full product stack is out yeah include most every relevant CPU since sandy, but for right now the target use for the R7s is the same as the 69** series, and its not gaming. But of course I also understand the pricce point being similar, but to the same end a tractor trailer cost around 200-250k and so does a decent Ferrari, but obviously you dont seriously test the two against each other.

Hi I'm at 4Ghz @ 1.38v which is still within reasonable territory for a 1700 for 24/7 use. Yes it's not on the stock cooler but it's on an air cooler. I dialed it back down a bit from 4.050.

80% of 1700's can expect to hit 3.9Ghz stable around this voltage.

What's a safe voltage?

I'm on a 1700X with asus ROG at 1.395 or some shit at 4.0

Stay below 1.4 not counting LLC.

Alright that's what I was doing because intel was the same way usually

is 1.4 just the limit for 22nm and 14nm or something?

Yeah.

Even though Linus was being pretty shilly for AMD doing 4k and shit, it really opened my eyes how their "minimum frames" was THE SINGLE WORST FRAME.

And what a poor job reviewers do about not highlighting what is the most important with gaming: frame pacing, and 0.1/1% minimums.

On stock cooler it seems like 1.33 or lower is better.
I mean 1.38 is safe and not going to hurt the life, but the stock cooler doesn't seem to handle over 1.3-1.33 at high load. Which makes since sense it's rated at 95W TDP and that's over 95W.

When it comes to safety for the silicon itself, 24/7, 1.4v but you need better cooling than the stock 1700 cooler for that.

>80% of 1700's can expect to hit 3.9Ghz stable around this voltage.
Silicon Lottery says 70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V Which sounds right from what I've heard from others that have made ACTUALLY stable overclocks and not "XD CPU-Z and games for a few hours works!!!"

Oxides website has no AMD logos, the game website itself does.

Also, unlike AC:Unity, Fallout 4, and Watch Dogs (all Nvidia sponsored) the game doesn't run like fucking trash. It's incredibly well optimized for the amount of shit that goes on. Thousand+ unit battles with FX and projectile physics.

It's 77% on your source, and I doubt they're super accurate, so closer to 80% anyhow. My OC is stable. 24 hours of stress testing and a bunch of 3 hour 4k video encodes.

>When it comes to safety for the silicon itself, 24/7, 1.4v but you need better cooling than the stock 1700 cooler for that.

Eh, I'm not so sure. High end APUs could take 1.6v all day long as long as temps never hit 80 degrees.

With Zen, once you hit 1.4v your temperatures start getting insane and harder to control.

Every engineer in the industry worth their salt (and all the people with half a brain) knew exactly what was happening and realized it was literally only a matter of optimization since the hardware was there.

The only people who have doubted Ryzen are retarded gamers, fanboys, Youtube personalities with no actual expertise on the hardware they talk about, and the memespouting shitposters around here.

It's not just about AMD, it's also about GloFlo

GloFo is basically former IBM foundry business now. And poolaris showed they can get decent yields.

I made something with 1400 ships and tens of thousands of physical projectiles that runs on my 4 year old Nexus 4 phone, though.

I think Oxide has better programmers than 99% of game studios, but come on.

77% @ 1.392v for the 1700X. 70% @ 1.408v is for the 1700.

That was a different manufacturing process.
AMD says that over 1.4v will start shortening the lifespan. Or was it 1.45v?

But eh.. 1.3-1.4 really seems reasonable to stick at. They become hard to cool and do funny things above that it seems.

People that ran 1.8v+ overclocks on LN2 said the CPUs were perfectly healthy after that, but that was only after a few minutes. That's impressive, but still doesn't indicate that you should keep it at 1.5v or 1.6v all day long simple because you can cool it.

Bingo, Intels ground up architecture won't hit till 2021 at the earliest, and that's only if they say "fuck PAO". All they have going forwards until then is Icelake in 2019, whose major feature set is "Dedicated Voice Processing", and "Computer Vision Engine".

Cannonlake might shrink power but 10nm desktop and server chips will have to wait for Icelake. Even for mobile Cannonlake might not be enough. Ryzen already uses 20% less power for the same performance, the APU's won't have the CCX problem, and GCN already uses much much less power than Gen does. NCU should widen that even further.

Lord knows what Pinnacle Ridge will have.

Can you not read the image I included? How stupid are you? Do I need to link you to the literal page?

youtube.com/watch?v=OjdJ1RU4ulU&t

youtube.com/watch?v=TSYuEopnCfI

sample of 5 chips
amd provided 1700 could go 4.0 not surprisingly

>voltage not listed
You're not smart.

100% of them will reach 5Ghz if you give them enough voltage. Since you're too stupid to understand that, please do not discus or argue anything with me further.

Alright thanks, I do have a custom loop so my cooling is hopefully good enough.. the temperatures are correct in the bios I hope and they don't exist for linux yet (not added to teh actual kernel yet as far as I know)

>Intel can't compete with this 4 thread garbage
fucking blinded by your own hubris. 6c coffee lake is going to best amds best handily and at similair price points

No unless Intel is about to kill these sweet 65% profit margins.

hahah if you think a 6c intel wont dominate 1800x and handily match zen2 at the expense of some wattage your drinking the wrong coolaid

>voltage not listed

You really need to stop

Handle 0x0039, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0030
Error Information Handle: 0x0038
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 8192 MB
Form Factor: DIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM_A2
Bank Locator: Channel A
Type: DDR4
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 2666 MHz
Manufacturer: Unknown
Serial Number: 00000000
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz
Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

should I push my ram higher if it's only 1.2volts?

I am scared because .. asus rog /10

Lul someone pasted from the wrong page. That's what they have listed for 1700X and the 1700 as lower.

>We will see 30-40% improvements in CPU performance in a few years for the same price.

hahahahahahah

ahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahha

yes because these assholes are int he business of giving extra just cuz they so cool

they wont give anymore than whats necessary to move the chips. if they can do a 50% bump theyll do a 25% and wait a year or price the 50% part a couple price levels up

not unless they can get cofee lake on all six cores to 4.5Ghz, not on 14nm
it's another bentium4 rushed housefire later this year
broadwell 6800/6850 is 140w tdp, 6850 goes up to 230w power draw on 6 cores.

>4 threads are the best haha silly corefag
>... but just you wait for 12 thread!!!!!!!!!! then it'll really be good!!! I mean it is already good now and 12 threads aren't needed but wait okay!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR

I sincerely hope Intel forgot the secret of longer bibelines or else their new arch will be top arsonist.

7700k doesn't do 4.5ghz on all cores, just one or two, no? Unless you overclock.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Coffeelake 6 core is 4.5Ghz turbo on a core or two.

They'll rate it at 140w TDP but really it'll draw 200w+ under gaming alone just like how the "91w TDP" 7700k draws 140w.

Maybe they'll have optimized the process enough to make it work. I can't see their 6 core working if gaming performance on average is worse than the 4 core.

Just look at how Intel artificially gimps all the i3s and i5s so they don't compete in a single core performance with their 8 thread 7700k. In order to still offer strong 4c/8t, they need their 6c/12t to not be gimped.

yea, because why would you want to give people a large boost so they go 'fuck it, upgrade time' apposed to a 25% boost and make them think 'you know what, mine is good enough'

It's pretty well assumed by anyone technically literate that they're going to get at least a 10% clock speed bump when they move to LPU or IBM's 7nm process.

So that's 10% there. They only need an 18.5% IPC increase "over the new few years" to reach that 30% total performance increase.

That's really completely reasonable to assume that, in a few years, Ryzen will be at least 30% better performance for the price.

>You never worked in the industry and are probably some stupid kid. Everyone does this.

you sir never worked in the industry

Lol, AMD bribing devs again.

CPUs don't need optimizations, they either work or don't work, they aren't GPUs

What a retarded shill move from AMD never buying them again

>April 11, big w10 update.
>April 11, R5 comes out.

hmmmm.

What the fuck did I just read.