/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=34644EC79F8FBE33A06AFB3BE5E3ABD0
dustycloud.org/misc/talks/guix/chicagolug_2015/guix_talk.html
fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/futureofguix/
mega.nz/#!hc0TGbSB!oan0msVLzhmC484WpQ6eixTGIri_z1GMkIqjx_WHvGA
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(checked)

literally me

>Not putting Guix or GuixSD in the general

how do you pronounce GNU/Linux?
>GNU Linux
or
>GNU slash linux

Both are acceptable. I've recently taken to calling it GNU plus Linux.

Even that link isn't in the general either

You are fired

Checked.
Although "GNU/Linux" /ɡəˈnuː slæʃ ˈlJnəks/ is often pronounced without the slash, Stallman recommends explicitly saying the word "slash" or "plus" in order to avoid the mistaken suggestion that the Linux kernel itself is a GNU package, as is the case with GNU Linux-libre.

>Guix
>pronounced "geeks"
huh

Friendly reminder that the OP is pushing the character limit already.

Very nice.

>nonfree pronunciation
what the fuck is this shit

>recommends

Then I """recommend""" that Stallman try to avoid prescribing user behavior under banner of 'software freedom'.

I hope you're always ready to do the interjection, Sup Forums.

Me, well, I personally have a keyboard shortcut ($mod+i) that instantly loads up the pasta into my clipboard.
All I have to do then is press the middle mouse button to paste it.
Here's the command if anyone's interested
cat ~/path/to/nterjection | xclip -i

and if you want to use Ctrl+v instead for some reason
cat ~/path/to/interjection | xclip -i -selection clipboard

If you leave out the `-selection` flag, it defaults to the primary clipboard (the one you paste from with the middle mouse button).

Remove all this noise add more signal

>Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.
>*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***
>Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
>If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
>0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
>1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
>2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
>3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.
>Resources:
>Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

Add libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=34644EC79F8FBE33A06AFB3BE5E3ABD0

Add this which explains exactly what Guix/GuixSD is dustycloud.org/misc/talks/guix/chicagolug_2015/guix_talk.html

>Add this which explains exactly what Guix/GuixSD
Why are you so obsessed with Guix dude? It has no place in the OP and the greentext you provided is the most important part of the OP.

I'm always ready.

I was about to say that only autists and Jews care so much about semantics, but then I remembered Stallman is both.

The green text is a pile of noise nobody reads or cares about, they'll still ask questions in here anyway without searching and you're inviting dual boot questions and winfags to fill the thread with their idiocy. This is Sup Forums not /r/ganoo

>Why obsessed with Guix
It's literally the future of FSF, they are all working on it as the new flagship OS and functional pkg managers completely subsume all previous century package mgrs. fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/futureofguix/

If you think it's about semantics, you should really check the history of GNU and Linux. I recommend watching "Revolution OS". It's a pretty interesting watch.

samefag

>le jewish tricks meme
brainlet spotted

nobody cares

samefag

It's be a thing right after hurd, right?

>You could taint things with nonfree software, but the base will always be pure
I'm surprised that they are an FSF approved software with this kind of language. I will be emailing Richard about this. If these are the standards might as well approve Debian and a host of other distributions of GNU plus Linux that don't have non free packages by default.

>1.3 Motivations

>1.3.1 Has this ever happened to you?

>My system failed mid-upgrade and now it's BORKED
>Oh no I thought this upgrade was okay but now it isn't
>My server is a special snowflake and I have no idea how to reproduce or replace it
>This deployment system has a turing tarpit of custom config languages (I've fallen and I can't get out!)
KEK. There motivations aren't even an issue for most distros and 99.9% of users. What are they doing that's unique again? What a joke.

You can always put non-free software on free software, no way to prevent it.

First time Linux user here.

Just installed Arch and was wondering if you had any desktop environments to recommend.
I already tried Plasma 5 but it the browser always crashed when I opened a website, and if I tried to many times the whole things freezes and I have to shutdown my PC.

idk if this is for linux general but here it goes:
I'm trying to download all video descriptions of all videos from a youtube channel, together with titles.
I've managed to figure out this so far:
youtube-dl --write-description --auto-number --skip-download --verbose
however it doesn't write the video name and only first 100chars or so of the descriptions are written down in files. Ideally it would write descriptions fully and name the file with the name of a video.
Right now the filenames are 01234-URL.description

install gentoo

xfce is simple and works fast. i would recommend that.

>You can always put non-free software on free software, no way to prevent it.
NO SHIT. That's not the point. Why do you think there are only 9 FSF approved distros when there are many distros that ARE libre that aren't on the list?

Ehh their website doesn't do it much justice. I want something more modern. I plan on making Linux my primary operating system.

Allow me to shill

If anybody here actually knew of the FSF manifesto instead of just being larpers or shilling memes they'd know the orig plan of Stallman was to remove the systems administrator, so the regular, unpriv'd user can fully install and uninstall programs themselves without some arbitrary authority getting involved. That's where Guix came in, after (in true GNU fashion) they cloned it from NixOS to make a free version.

It also satisfies the FSF manifesto of a totally distributed packaging system w/reproducible builds, so you can get a copy of a package from anywhere, and instantly verify it is correct. No more GPG sigs or centralizes repositories.

It also replaced Docker, and other such containers or developer environments like RVM or Gem/Bundler or Virtualenv ect because you have complete dependency tracking. Dpkg/yum/pacman can install all build-time and runtime dependencies, but it cannot do unprivileged package installation to isolated user environments. And none of them can precisely describe the full dependency graph (all the way down to the C compiler’s compiler) but Guix can.

well, xfce is as pretty as you make it, just install numix, arc and stuff and it will look modern.

outofbox modern would probably be KDE or gnome, both quite resource heavy. Try out gnome, maybe you'll like it but I personally cannot recommend it (looks like shit imo).

those are basically the easy options, else you could try go the autist route with ricing and tiling wms

>I want something more modern. I plan on making Linux my primary operating system.

What's 'not modern' about Xfce?

DE isn't that important anyways, nothing stopping you from installing multiple DEs and using whatever you're in the mood for. Also GNOME is probably considered the most modern. Still can't understand how you had trouble with KDE though. You'll probably run into trouble with others too. Seems like you fucked something up tbqh.

And replaced systemd, GNU dmd/initrd is written in scheme, giving access to all of the features and libraries that guile has

so
- scheme init
- scheme system provisioning down to the checksum and state of the system
- scheme package manager

All have open APIs allowing for advanced symbolic meta-linguistic abstraction of servers which means your entire server or desktop (or hundreds of thousands of servers) can now be a function called in a program, controlling it's whole state and everything. That's crazy

How is any of this useful or different for an average PC user?

>average PC user
Whoops! Looks like you took a wrong turn, friendo. Please try AOL keyword COMPUTERS for all the latest tech-savvy trends, news, and tips!

>-i
You don't need that, read the manpage or -h output.

Your browser has nothing to do with the environment.
There is a list of environment in the Arch Wiki.

>judging something based off a website and not the product itself
>using he "modern" buzzword

Maybe someone would help you if you weren't such a pretentious idiot.

What the fuck is your problem? It's a reasonable question. Considering that you're employing fallacies it's obvious that there is no real compelling reason to use Guix. All you have is a bunch of buzzwords that don't actually amount to anything.

You're in the wrong thread buddy. We're friendly around here. Go away.

I was actually gaining interest in Guix until this little fiasco played itself out.

Oh OK, maybe somebody else will kindly provide an answer to your question, friend.
Better luck next time.

>I let shitposting influence my real life decisions
awesome, glad to hear it, welcome

>implying that this isn't real life
Don't fallacy me bro

When I open a pdf in Ubuntu half the pages are scrambled. Works fine in windows....

halp

youare pdf is broken
consult your professor

use GIMP, easily the best pdf viewer on gnu/linux

Is there an email client which.

>would have a simple ncurses or similar interface (run in my terminal)
>allows me to write messages using my preferred editor (vim)
>isn't some convoluted mess which requires me to set up 10 packages and connect them all together

I checked Alpine and Mutt and they aren't quite what I wanted. I couldn't get Mutt to work (PEBCAK, I know), so I didn't get to the sending part to see which editor it allows me to use.

mutt

I'm doing a gentoo install on a thinkpad x201 and I fail at making my kernel.

I have compilation errors about wireless when I tried doing the config myself.

I then did
make localyesconfig
make && make modules_install

It compiled and when I finished the install and rebooted, I had graphic issues.

Can some user that also have a x201 share his .config please?

I'm getting a feeling of failure and consider doing a genkernel.

I'm using manjaro XFCE, and trying to run again under WINE.
The game run fine but none of the keyboard input get recognized.
Any idea?
The game in question
mega.nz/#!hc0TGbSB!oan0msVLzhmC484WpQ6eixTGIri_z1GMkIqjx_WHvGA

i always said "g'wix"

Bring back the news links OP

>Remove all this noise add more signal

is this a comic dude wearing girl clothes?

Anyone with an xps 15 here? How does Linux run on it? It seems like the best current gen laptop with good Linux support. Because I don't want to mess with proprietary nvidia drivers or optimus, I'll probably just permanently disable the nvidia GPU and use integrated graphics- is that doable?

I can start any display manager, but these in turn cannot start my xsession regardless of whether they're started as root. However, startx works just fine even unprivileged. How2fix? strace doesn't show anything weird, none of the log have any messages (the session just stops and nobody knows why).

the plot thickens: cdm just werks (but has its obvious flaws so I don't want to rely on it), and after closing the session started with cdm, I can use my other DMs without problem.

When is devuan going to come out of beta?

something strange is happening in last few days

when i install something from aur, i cant find it.
i install is with yaourt but shit aint in system.
Just now i install visual-studio-code and i cant find it anywhere, when i search with dmenu nothing shows

pacman -Ql visual-studio-code

>I have compilation errors about wireless when I tried doing the config myself.

Do the config manually yourself, set your wirless module to [M]. If after exiting menuconfig it warns you about blablabla needs CONFIG_SOMETHING=y then enable that option.

it shows a bunch of files but i cant start it like normal program, what should i do?

>using arch

look at the files and think critically

don't do this news links are redundant

lol, fucking niggers changed name to just "code" and thats why i couldt find it

why would you use microsoft crapware?
use vim/emacs if you're a man or atom if you're a manlet

Just use gedit

gedit is nice for taking notes, but for editing text, you need a more powerful tool like vim or emacs

After some years I'm tired of Arch. Fuck it. Wanted to use Void but it's still not mature enough for me. Does debian sid still have most packages?

yup

Question, how do I find the name of the package that I need to install?

Say I want to install KDE, how do I know that the package name is kde-full or kde-desktop?

Is there a way to browse repositories along with package descriptions?

All package managers have a search and package information function.
rtfm

Good. Too bad apt sucks. Guess I'll have to get used to it.

>can't use program X
>program X sucks
nice logic

You're telling me apt's better than xbps and pacman?

You're telling me that you know that apt is bad without even reading it's manuals?

Linux is degenerate communist propaganda and is corrupting the youth. This filth needs to be banned and destroyed.

apt-cache search ^gentoo

You're telling me I don't have any experience with debian-based distros?

Obviously you don't when you aren't even able to search for a package.

>implying I'm not able to search for a package

>gentoo - fully GUI-configurable, two-pane X file manager
lmao

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Too bad apt sucks.
Why do you say that?

>tfw your friends are too tech illiterate to stop using Skype

It wouldn't need so many fucking front ends if it's good
debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

What are some cool terminal commands?

>1234
>nice
1. As said, browser performance is not (usually) affected by your DE, and certainly not by kde
2. There are a ton of desktops and wms to choose from, maybe post something with a little more detail as to what you want
3. You need to get that browser issue checked too

>so many
wat