From the day sli and crossfire became a thing, was there any set of cards that actually was worth to dual it?

From the day sli and crossfire became a thing, was there any set of cards that actually was worth to dual it?

no.

So it's just a meme?

Dad gave me two 4870s 512mb when I was in high school good times

I bought a second HD5770 for crossfire instead of upgrading, considering it cost me 30aud for the second card and I'm running BF4 on high settings 50-60fps mostly, I'd say it was pretty good.

Any mid-tier card you wanted to upgrade after the 6000 series from AMD

e.g. if you had a 7770 the best upgrade path for the money was a second 7770

SLI and Xfire are great fug off

Every flagship card of every generation.
If there's only one way to get that much performance, then it's "worth" the cost, becuase that's how much it costs.

But if had to say how much performance you had gained, would it be above 70% increase?

But aren't games that don't even work and crash all the time due to dualing cards?

The GTX 460 had over 100% performance scaling in SLI.

Always depends on the game, I used to have HD4780 in crossfire, shit was not as stable as I wanted and some games flat out refused to work on it, others like GTA4 would crash every hour or so.

Yeah, so you don't run them in DualGPU mode, and you still have the best performance, because you still have the best card.

In my case having two 4870s theoretically doubled my vram to 1gb, unless memory is an issue I can't see how it's useful

For BF4 I gained almost 80%, but for my cheap steam games it didn't do shit.

I don't mind though since I only bought it for that though. BF4 went from 50-60 medium to 50-60 high, GTA V went from 40-45 low to 50-60 low too.

On one hand I'm tempted to upgrade now since no dx12 or vulkan, on the other hand I'm just too lazy.

It's like people who do multi-monitor setups for gaming. It's great until it doesn't work. Then you spend hours in frustration trying to fix your obscure edge case problem.

>hydra never took off

SLI is 90's technology, utter crap

Get it if you want your games to stutter like mad on your 3000 dollar rig

sli voodoo 2 were the fuckin bomb

it was bought and buried

Thank god. It was stupid and made no sense.

dual 6950s was nice

how was it stupid? it presents itself as a single graphics card and uses the power of any two or more other graphics cards behind the scenes, literally perfect and seamless multi-gpu that justworks

>lack of optimization
>no game support
>no driver support

2x460 was pretty fantastic

If vulkan and dx12 decide to fix this then it will be viable again.

imagine having two 480x performing identical to a 1080ti. or cards with 2 gpus on them being beastmode and even sharing the memory, unlike now where the cards only use the memory off 1 card/gpu

Both are dogshit. It's just that nowadays SLI is only option since all AMD has to offer is budget GPUs.

>AMD has to offer is budget GPUs
I think you're the one with dogshit instead of a brain

this will never happen outside synthetics

fermi. very efficient space heaters

didn't need any of that, it was a command stream processor

Had a gtx 670 in sli and a friend gave me his which I added as a third card. Never really had any issues with it except for Resident Evil 7.

This.

Got a hd6950 2gb right after launch (on black friday sale actually), upgrade from 4870 1gb.

Flashed it to a custom 6970 with 1.3v bios and overclocked to 1050/1500mhz on water.
Then later got another hd6970 and ran them in CF, both overclocked to the same 1050/1500 iirc.

>his hose clamps are are kissing.

>kissing

Fucking kek.

SLItard here

If you're gayming then you don't really need it. If you want to do 4K then just buy a single Titan XP or 1080 Ti or whatever

If you're doing professional work then having more than one is fine but don't even touch SLI since that can cause a drop in performance

Can't say much on Crossfire since I haven't touched it before but I would imagine it'd be the same way.

gta iv was just broken, so that's to be expected

Crossfire tard here

Yeah it's about the same, scales near perfectly for productivity, which doesn't use Crossfire at all. Scales okay in gaming, but doesn't make much sense financially and can cause your entire machine to crash if the game really doesn't like it.

>can cause your entire machine to crash if the game really doesn't like it.

this pretty much

if your game doesn't support SLI/crossfire you pretty much have to force it through profiles (at least that's the case with SLI, again haven't touched Crossfire in a while). Problem is that if you do this, you can run into what that guy said alongside graphical errors and that sort of stuff. And coil whine. Don't forget that.

Have an old PC with a 6870. Last year bought a second because it was only $40. Installed it, and haven't explicitly used it because nothing I use/play supports it. At least it looks cool.