without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>systemd

Arch

Reported.

>systemd
>.deb
>apt

Ye, thanks for naming the things that makes Debian superior over other shit distros

>install debian
>wants to play video games
>realize it's using old stuff (kernel, drivers...)

>decide to switch to another distribution
>linux 4.10, latest drivers, mesa etc.
>improve game performance by 50%

Debian is terrible for a daily user

>emacs is tainted
topkek

>Gaming.

.deb is inferior by design to RPM, apt has no conflict resolution so it tends to choke a lot.

>implying that's a bad thing

If games is your main goal then you are dumb for installing Linux really...

Orthagonal to operating system. Windows is shit enough to purposely avoid with or without gaymen. Linux has games now though.

this. debian is shit but that guy is a straight retard.

>If games is your main goal then you are dumb for installing Linux really...
>implying I only use my computer for games
Linux get the shit done and permits me to play the games I want with good FPS, I don't see what's wrong with using a computer and an OS for both programming, gaming and whatever you want to do.

NSA/systemd

Which is a shame, because before that Debian was the tits. It's all Devuan now.

I understand why Ian didn't want to live to see his baby get raped.

It far more trivial to just install the backport kernel then completely switch distros, bub.

lel

Of course is the best Distro

(i was doing the same thread hehehehehe)

>Fast
>Simply/Good level
>Not autism installation and configuration
>Very Custom
>Support excellent/great community
>GNU/Linux respect my rights

I use Debian since 6 because i want my machine to the Internet, download and watch chinese cartoons so i dont need anything more.

Why are you hating on systemd?
Unless you are librebooted, use cascaded VPN etc. NSA will have your data anyways.

NSA please go.

Sure, because the NSA's reach is unknown we must assume they compromised everything and therefore it's retarded to pursuit any security at all.

Do you use passwords? You're retarded because the NSA has them anyways : ^ )

The point to avoid NSA infected shit is not to evade the NSA but to evade everyone else that has access to their exploits.

No

>systemd
>xorg
>old software in general

Use debian testing you prick.

Haven't seen systemd exploits getting released yet.
And yes: I use randomly generated passwords and my own little VPN server. Not to hide from NSA tho.

>installs kubuntu dm
>conflict with package
>says nothing
>boots to black screen
>only tells me once I try to remove kubuntu

systemd just have ugly concept and implementation. Have lots of bugs, old bugs.

What type of bugs? I dont experience and bugs, crashes or anything like that.
Booting up Debian, getting shit done, shutting down.
No arguments anymore?

well thats what you get for installing kubuntu at all, seriously. There's a real KDE spin now, Kubuntu should die a horrible death.

But yeah regular day in any apt based system though.

not sure why one would use debian over arch when you can just flip the bird to all the configure twats and use something like arch-anywhere. still trying to figure out wtf yaourt is though. apt and deb are pretty convenient, but they seem like one of many similar package managers.

deb and apt were like... the first package manager that ever existed. No improvements since 2000.

I tried Manjaro once (for about 30 minutes) and know what yaourt is, lol.
It apparently is a "community" repository for shit that isnt in pacman. For example spotify

You don't? After upgrading to Jessie I had to revert to sysv immediately because some hardware wasn't brought up and shutting down took 2 mins all of the sudden. I was gutted to see Debian wasn't the rock stable OS I thought it was anymore. Before I could just run dist-upgrade without even looking because I knew Debian wouldn't fuck it up.

i used it for one month but it froze on me five times! i tried free and non free gpu drivers but it still failed so i changed distro and it justwerks

Nope, no Problems with any hardware.
Using pretty modern hardware. (Nvidia GPU, AMD CPU, Asus mb)

If I wanted unstable packages, I would just use arch. At least it will get timely security updates.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Testing - stable packages. Ubuntu uses unstable.

i get it, because it's so fucking old it's basically a dinosaur.

Totally saving this.

Gnome3 sucks
Debian is otherwise just fine though.

But red hat is literally a t-rex punching a triceratops... oh

This, but without the outbreak and hysteria.

Pretty accurate.

Debian + fluxbox is so comfy

switch to debian testing its not bad

screenfetch pls

No, this is a bit counterproductive. I installed Debian (Devuan, atm tbqh m8) because it's stable (as in versions don't change). I'm not a Debian dev, so I don't need testing.

I know my i3 looks shit so far. Just installed it yesterday.

mods

Longtime Debian user here, haven't distrohopped in quite a while. Anybody wanna sell me Devuan? What are the differences? How stable are the distro, de project, and the team?

Devuan is Debian in any practical sense without systemd.

You can migrate a running Debian install in no time without any consequences (assuming you didn't change systemd specific things). I did this to my desktop. Easy peasy.

Doesn't seem like its moved much ever, I dunno if the project's grown or if it's stagnant.

>MUH GAYMES
It's time for you to grow up, child.

So basically an installer with the same repos like the first iterations of PC-BSD on FreeBSD?

Ah no, nevermind

Either way you bake your cake Windows is superior when it comes to games. No fault of Linux' though - blame game devs for only focusing on Windows.
main goal != only use.
If you are happy with the performance you get on Linux then good for you.

And yes, Linux _can_ run most games pretty well but is still lacking compared to Windows. For almost everything else Linux is superior IMO.
I'm just too lazy and impatient to fiddle around with Wine and shit to get inferior performance when I finally feel like playing a game. Hence I have Windows installed on another partition using it for games only.

so, is testing a true rolling distro? i hear it eventually gets frozen to become the next stable.

Superior for games, inferior at literally everything else. And not very superior for games. Why even consider microshit?

yes; you either touch your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the next testing branch, or use "testing" as branch name

ah just replace stretch?

old software

can you do this with mint ?

^ running LMDE

probly from an ubuntu derivative

Nope, all memes aside, Gentoo is the best distro

aptitude update; aptitude safe-upgrade -dy; aptitude safe-upgrade
replace jessie with stretch in /etc/apt/sources.list, be very careful with what you do in your external repos

pray to god/odin/buddha/feynmann
then repeat the following:
aptitude update; aptitude full-upgrade -dy; aptitude full-upgrade

expect temporary borken stuff until you finish upgrading everything

oh i'm just gonna do a fresh install, fuck it.

Nah, it'll go well enough

too late!

Fedora exists, therefore you are wrong.

Enjoy your out of date garbage.

nah

>using a distro named after a meme

This
Opensuse is also acceptable

Fluxbox tbqh

>Packages older than the dinosaurs

True, I've been using it since I was 14 almost 10 years ago

Friendly reminder there are only three Linux distributions that are considered stable enough to actually matter in the enterprise world: Debian, RedHat and SuSe as a distant third.

>inb4 old packages
Friendly reminder that Debian supports 12 or so different architectures and actually cares about testing packages on each of them, whereas some of Sup Forums's favorite meme distros are dropping support for x86 for fuck's sake.

>inb4 muh gentoo supports all architectures you can run C compiler on
In theory. Debian actually compiles and tests binaries on each arch. Debian's "stable", means rock fucking solid, production-ready stable.

Also:
>older than most distros (most of which are based on it anyway)
>larger repos than most distros
>perfect community not dominated by neither noobs nor autists
>no non-free software in official repositories
>not run by a for-profit entity
>credits GNU in its official name
>supports GNU Hurd

>uninstall font
>breaks the whole system

RPM is slow in use.

SuSe nowadays is really gay and unstable

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

this meme is as old and outdated as Debian Stable

CentOS hardens this tradition of slow package management to this very day. Try it yourself

I use debian testing and I'm happy with it.
The packages in debian stable are pretty outdated, though.

This. Even Linus uses fedora

Emacs + Debian = Heaven

>2017
>not using emacs-nox

>emacs-nox
I need to display images sometimes faggot.

You don't need GNU Emacs for that. GNU Emacs is a text editor, not an image viewer.

I use to view images and to listen to music I occasionally use it to watch youtube.

You shouldn't. GNU Emacs is for coding.

Does anyone know how to use uBlock for Debian? I installed it but I'm not sure if I need to configure it or what, doesn't say much in the github page.

So far, it seems like the addon works normally and nothing changed.

Slackware is better

uBlock is for suckers, you should block ads in the DNS levels.

but what if I'm a sucker?

>Just installed Debian Testing
>Can't get X server to start on boot
>Too much of a brainlet to fix it
Back to Xubuntu, I guess.