Is there any reason to use Windows other than gaming?

Is there any reason to use Windows other than gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamingonlinux.com/articles/mad-max-meets-vulkan-in-a-new-fully-public-beta-for-linux-benchmarks-and-opengl-vs-vulkan-comparisons.9345
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

Doesn't Linux, as well as OS X, support quite a few games now thanks to Steam?

You can also run legacy software.
And office.

I can't speak for everybody, but I got around to installing Steam on my Linux drive and a full third of my games were ready to go.
Not sure about the quality of the releases, though.

CAD/CAM software

No.

Yes, but the library is still only a small fraction of what Windows has available.

It still supports less than half the games. But it does support all the ones I play, except warcraft 3 for which I use windows 7 because wine performance isn't that great from what I hear (roughly 20% worse than native). I saved this image a while back which is a fairly accurate description of Linux gaming.

Linux supports WPS Office, LibreOffice, and a few more. So office isn't an argument.

Linux is for fucking autists
OS X is for fucking fags
Windows is for aryan ubermensch

*teleports behind you and list your non-sjw ass*

Hehehe nothing personnel

yes its called adobe creative cloud

>fuck adobe

i left alooong time ago and get asked if i can run that particular piece of software in nix alot.

go back there

yep because linux does not seem to support keyboard and mouse out of the box.

Windows store, cortana, best File Manager, Visual Studio

You don't even need it for gaymen. I'm a casual gamer myself and love playing KSP, Cities: Skylines and rocket league atm.

real world jobs require windows
too bad Sup Forums kids have no idea what that is

no

This
Good luck getting anything good running natively on linux

does windows run the game?
no

More supported software.

Office.

>
>Linux supports WPS Office, LibreOffice, and a few more. So office isn't an argument.

Considering those are garbage, yes; Office is an argument.

There really is no substitute for Excel one you get beyond basic spread sheets.

I feel bad for you for having to work for an employer who doesn't respect your freedom. I also feel blessed for being an embedded systems engineer.

>loonix
>no AAA games
>most are just badly ported games
>shit graphics drivers

>macos
>garbage opengl performance
>shit graphics drivers
>can perform worse than linux in games

Libre calc is literally the exact same thing

Depends on the Publisher, Triple A Stuff like Hitman and Civ 6 always worked out of the Box for me on Arch, Some Indie Titels need some Workaround tough for Example, i have to copy a library into to Game Folder and Load it Manually in Order for GoG Hyper Light Drifter to work

If your PC was built after 2008 you shouldnt habe a Problem running Wc3 through Wine, i ran it with the tft Expansion a while back and it ran great

If you have a dGPU and a Integrated One you shouldn't have this Problem

Active Directory with everything that includes
Exchange

Samba

Um, no, it's not at all. I think you'll find that an Excel book that relies on VBA is pretty much instantly rendered into dogshit.

I mean, sure, you could spend time and rewrite all your scripts, but then buying would work with Excel.

The rest of the world runs on Excel, and there is a ton of available VBA based tooling for Excel in the ecosystem.

Samba is superior over AD in anyway.

Windows for gaymes and gaymes development
OSX for multimedia production and editing
GNU/Linux for everything else

I wish Linux would get more games, game development tools and general multimedia tools but devs don't seem to care. I'd really like to not have to touch anything but Linux but it's just not possible.

Does it implement group policies to lock down clients yet?

>tfw big business is all handled by excel and i'm learning to program

Software.

Well, OP most probably is referring to if your main criteria are games but this could change of the directed lock-in ends and the developers start using multi platform tools from the start. Just look at this:gamingonlinux.com/articles/mad-max-meets-vulkan-in-a-new-fully-public-beta-for-linux-benchmarks-and-opengl-vs-vulkan-comparisons.9345

But yeah, if your main criteria are not games and you don have a hard dependency on a Microsoft only technology for your work (something less common each day in my own experience) I find windows pretty inferior in General imho.

kek
>that image
have one more

vm but its not a trivial thing to set up

.exe

Having some new indie games doesn't change the fact that most AAA games and pretty much everything released before 2010 are Windows exclusives.

Although Wine will be better for old games than Windows itself once 7 is kill.

Honestly the few areas where I find this is true is civil engineering but for most of the other ones there's either good alternatives or the software works on wine making windows hardly a requirement if you want to work.

>best file manager
That would be Dolphin.

>There really is no substitute for Excel one you get beyond basic spread sheets.
If you gonna do somehing complicated is better to use proper database software anyway. A business having all their info in excel files is a different matter but I would urge them to migrate when possible. For most office users tho excel is hardly a hard requirement.

True, this is why is important to ask for ports and show there's demand on linux, having the option to play on other operative systems is important, the only one benefited by that exclusivity is microsoft.

Where can i get Windows 10 education?. I want to be part of the master race

get universal windows downloader

my wifi adapter is not supported

no, install hackintosh

i wonder what the windows 95 and xp teams are doing nowadays. we need a where are they now graphic.

I've seen this picture a couple of times now. Who is this woman, and why are we supposed to quake in fear of being on her List?

>Thinks companies are going to rip out existing Windows Server infrastructure, and IT expertise in AD, Exchange, Powershell, Sharepoint, SCCM and Windows Client and replace with Linux/Postscript/Dovecot/Samba/NFS AND re-train employees in using it

Yes, you're used to it. My brother uses Windows. He could download movies and music and view those movies and listen to that music on any OS.

I think this reason along with "it came preinstalled" applies to vast numbers of windows losers.

Not sure what jobs you've had but all I've have had were at places where you got a box with some crap you were required to use on it.

This and hardware support. As long as you don't mind forced reboots

All of the software I need for Engineering school require Windows.

Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Ableton Live 9, FL Studio and games.

So something less than half the population needs. Still no reason for it to have 90% marketshare.

>too poor to buy a Mac.

Who is this anime guy?

>litteraly anything else other than windows
wow, i did not think Sup Forums would be so full of fucking idiots, lmao. Windows 4 lyfe

Not really.

>As long as you don't mind forced reboots
How would you not mind that?

Old applications that still work really well that you already know how to use. For everything else there's linux.

>Linux supports WPS Office, LibreOffice, and a few more. So office isn't an argument.

They are all shit and cannot be compared to MS Office. Sad but true.

When working as a postdoc I've been using Ubuntu for serious work.

But to publish papers, I've needed access to the MS Office suite, especially Word, which works considerably better than the Libre offering.

Thing is, I had a MacBook which runs all the MS Office stuff, so there was really no need for me to use Windows at all.

I agree with OP somewhat but there is another use case - you need to run windows if you want to test software to make sure it runs on windows.

Which is also shit so they can be compared.

>Publishing papers with Office
This shouldn't be allowed.

In what way? Stop spreading shitty propaganda. I've been using LibreOffice for years now and don't miss a thing. You literally don't need anything more than Google docs. Plus, WPS and Libre are free. So infinitely better per buck.

If you need Office compatibility there is the web service, or you can use a VM.

Not the other guy, but one thing I've noticed about LO/OO is that Shift+Bkspc deletes the whole word, unlike office.
Bit of an annoyance if I'm writing something short in all caps and make a mistake. I'm used to being able to keep my finger on the shift key.

If u have a job then yes

>I've been using LibreOffice LibreOffice for years now and don't miss a thing. You literally don't need anything more than Google docs.
Do they support macro and formula programming?

most journals accept MS Word (the legacy format), some of the demand them (because of edit support)

Doesn't change that it shouldn't be allowed.

t. never used either

LibreOffice is fine if all you need is very basic functionality. Beyond that it's a fucking mess.

no it's not fine. The UI is confusing for inexperienced users that barely can use MS Office and the options don't have the same name, they're located in different menus or have a different interface compared to the real Office.

>need to change paper size to print a document correctly
>double click in ruler
>it opens paragraph setup, not page setup
>click file menu
>no signs of "page setup"
>google "libreoffice writer page setup"
>it turns that option is in "format menu"
>open it
>interface is not the same as in Office

What should it do then? What does shift+backspace do in MSO?

What people wants is a drop-in replacement for Office, Libreoffice requires learning.

Usable and mainstream software

>the real Office
So, Star Office? Who here even used that?

Fucking this. Fuck games I can't run altium designer/mentor pads or matlab

WINE runs Windows legacy software better than Microsoft Windows since Vista.

Same thing it does in almost every other text editor: the shift is ignored, it's just backspace.

"LDAP" or "Winbind" would have been better b8, m8.

I notice they have no answer for you

Yes, but there are a lot of games with such awful ports that they run better through wine.

Someone explain the image. How does Windows interrupt people's work when it updates?

this
this entirely

ive been thinking about switching to loonux and bitwig but idk

also how well does those windows emulators wok?

It doesn't, it's just that 90% of people who post on Sup Forums are tech illiterate kids from Sup Forums who doesn't know how to disable automatic reboots

Why would I switch to an insecure OS such as Linux?

>it's only as secure as the user makes it

Why the fuck would you want that? What's the point of holding shift then?

Cad/cam with realtime render get cucked by low gpu/cpu support from vm
Did with solid/inventor/rhino/zbrush(i know not cad but still) it was bad
>inb4 guest additions or stuff
Tried that too
If anyone can tell how to dx support and detect my gpu on vm i will sacrifice my laptop for kek, resulting in a techgore thread