How do I get into Vim?

how do I get into Vim?
I've been using it for a few weeks now and got the basic keys down, but it still feels more like its slowing me down instead of helping.
Any idea how to approach getting gud with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html
cs.cmu.edu/~15131/f16/topics/vim/
andrew.cmu.edu/user/haoxuany/vim/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It does not get good if the only thing what you are doing is typing. It gets awesome when you need to procedurally do things. Read the "Power of g" page from wiki.

The advantage of modes is that you can clearly separate how you input commands from when you edit things.

hmm alright, so I shouldn't really be using it for just simple programming?

This should help

viemu.com/a_vi_vim_graphical_cheat_sheet_tutorial.html

How does it get in your way while doing simple programming?

What I mean is, it's not good for writing a novel but fixing mistakes in a code or generating stubs are things it excels at.

Stay in normal mode.

nah it doesnt really get in the way, i just dont see a speed increase in any way, and stuff like having to opt out of inserting mode for simple copy and pasting is a bit annoying

It gets good when you start using line and patterns for copy-paste.

Also you can do simple copy paste using mouse. Try shift+insert if you are using Xterm or something older. But the whole point is not giving up the keyboard space. Also you are using visual and visual block modes too right?

>giving up the keyboard space
taking your hands off the keyboard is what I meant. For some reason I can't talk today.

It's amazing for novel writing

Just not out of the box

You don't need to use things just because Sup Forums likes them.

yeah im using visual.

Why vim and not emacs? Because you can't blindtype?

Maybe it's just not your thing then. I liked it because it made my life easier in the past. You don't have to use it, but at least now that you know how to use it you are not going to have issues editing things fast in terminal in systems that don't have the editors you like.

vim-adventures.com made me improve fastest and most efficiently

Vim is a meme created by the regards that use loonix

Vim lovers like me approve of your disdain and urge to dissuade others from learning vim tbqh

Read everything here: cs.cmu.edu/~15131/f16/topics/vim/

Esp that link to the stackexchange post 'your problem with Vim is you don't know Vi'

There's also even an entire course for Vim andrew.cmu.edu/user/haoxuany/vim/

Keep learning.

If there's a way to do something more efficiently or you think there could be then do it / look it up.

Also, keep updating the rc. Everyone's is tailored differently.

sudo apt-get remove vim
sudo apt-get install nano

whats Sup Forums opinion on neoVim

?

"I've been using it for a few weeks now"

Because you can't figure out how to get out?

+1

read "learn vimscript the hard way," if you're not writing macros and using all the features, you're going to turn into a faggot like these guys:

I would help you, had you not been a scumbag camel fucker

you're going to hell ahmed

read practical vim.

How do you move between lines when j/k is to small and H/M/L is too big of a jump?
Does 5j/9k make sense or do you know a better way?