/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Any 2 core CPU (Pentium G, i3) will be depricated once Ryzen3 is released in 1-2 months.
>Ryzen5 4c/8t release in 2 weeks almost as good as i5/i7 for far cheaper should force Intel to lower prices.
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any locked Intel CPU build without a Z mobo.
>Add a SSD even for budget builds, it's easier to add HDD later than replacing OS drive.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are RX470, GTX1060 6GB, RX480.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

pcbox.com/categorias/componentes?nodo=4
ebay.com/itm/PNY-GeForce-GTX-1070-DirectX-12-VCGGTX10708XGPB-OC-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-/302082916354?customid=25e60fb214b711e788398e01733482750INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&hash=item46558b8002:g:qkgAAOSwOyJX4oaw&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true
pcpartpicker.com/list/B43BYr
pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/FYrt6h
pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/cM4mGX
pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>part picker
>not making your own components like in your pic

pleb

Is the small zalman t5 case good?

have you checked real reviews?

Well on amazon they seem to like but amazon is full of shills sometimes

no, REAL reviews you tard. like actual fucking knowledge people that review hardware a lot. try youtube or google

I'm not sure I'd want to overclock it.

Whats the best wireless card i can get to connect to my router thats in the living room?
My pc is in my bedroom and currently suffering with 100mbps connection over powerline adapter
If it helps my router is at&t, model 5268AC

Also budget would ideally be around or below $100, and the router provides gigabit for the pc directly connected to it in living room

wifi is not really better than powerline. why cant you run an ethernet cable?

i heard good thing about the asus router, just get one that can run DD-WRT

Running it through a wall or on the ceiling or something would be an inconvenient pain in the ass. Are you saying powerline and wifi will both be garbage or that either way will work just as well as the other?

depends on what you use the net for. for gaming both are garbage. if you dont game then both are fine.

also you can just run a cable along the wall strip and make a small notch in the door frame and pull the cable thru to the other side

can you help me select some pieces for a new gaming capable PC?

i already have a GTX660 and a 500w PSU
but i need help selecting the rest of the parts since i know jack shit about this, i have a 360 Euros budget and i also need a monitor, and i can't order anyting online right now so anything selected from this page would help pcbox.com/categorias/componentes?nodo=4

B350 motherboard and R5 1500.

Problem is that its my parent's house not mine and my dad looks at anything pc-related that isnt stock as basically witchcraft

How is this building looking? Also what is a good 4K monitor? Money is not an issue but in the $800 and lower price range.

You know R7 1700 is cheaper and better user?

underage b&

>i7 two weeks from R5 launch
>hyper 212 for unlocked CPU
>$190 mobo
>CX PSU
looks bad

Get a better cooler and power supply.

R5 might be a better value for gaming, but it won't perform better.

>user should still wait though

>4k
>7700k
You fucked up

So is the 960 EVO now the go-to boot drive? Just under $40 more than the 850 EVO for 250GB with 4x the performance.

What would be a better cooler and power supply?

I've seen the benchmarks and the i7 beats the R7 most of the time while playing games. That is what this build is for, I'm not streaming or rendering anything.

Explain please?

The R5 1600 is cheaper and will be better in the long run with more cores and threads.
With fast RAM you get same performance as the i7.

I have that CPU/mobo/memory/case and pretty much trivial substitutions for the rest. Very happy with it, no issues at all (not that you'd expect otherwise these days really). I like the fan control stuff and the WiFi is pretty good.

>I've seen the benchmarks and the i7 beats the R7 most of the time while playing games. That is what this build is for, I'm not streaming or rendering anything.

If you don't care about money and just wanna play gaymen at the highest possible FPS, get the 7700k.

Still couldn't hurt to wait for R5. Maybe you get ~15 less FPS averages, but you may end up saving 50%. In heavily multithreaded games it will likely (and already has) pull ahead.

Some people don't like AMD, I'm not sure why you guys shill for the intel fanboys when they obviously just want intel

How are PNY gpus?
ebay.com/itm/PNY-GeForce-GTX-1070-DirectX-12-VCGGTX10708XGPB-OC-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-/302082916354?customid=25e60fb214b711e788398e01733482750INT&pub=5574652453&campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&hash=item46558b8002:g:qkgAAOSwOyJX4oaw&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

im not sure why you defend the intel fanboys

because it's their preference nigger

Then they are free to do that. However, when you come into a thread asking for advice you don't ask what is their favourite brand, you try to advise them on their needs.

why do you not take an old pc or buy a pi and turn that into a router

>I'm suffering from 100Mbps over powerline, better switch to shitty computer that has that 100Mbps also shared with USB!

>prefer to waste money because of brand name
stop letting the kikes rip off people you fag

custom made routers out preform any consumer product under 300$

Raspberry Pi is a custom made router?

you can turn it into on easily

Yeah, router with a fucking 100Mbps shared with USB bus, retard.

you do not have to use a pi like i said in the beginning an old pc or any pc will do fine

Unless you're on a tight budget yeah.

wow, im early for once

So, I have a question. Pic related is my current build. I built it about three years ago this time of the year. My question is, when do I know when to upgrade? Nothing in my PC seems to be wrong or in need of replacement at the moment, I just don't know when to judge if my hardware is too out of date or not.

I pretty much only play DotA 2 and emulate games with my machine. I would like to play more current games coming out, however, and I am also interested in using cemu in the future.

you already know when to upgrade. when shit starts running slow or the game you are playing or want to play requires better hardware. please use common sense next time

You know you need to upgrade when the computer is not performing well enough to meet your needs and you're sure it's a hardware problem.

For example, I have a Phenom II x4 955 and 750 Ti, which is ancient by today's standards, but I only use my computer for web browsing and some occasional Warcraft III, and it meets my needs perfectly fine.

Get pentium g4560. Save you a lot of money while single thread performance is superb and it also has hyperthreading.
Inb4 >two cores in 2k17
You don't need more than two cores, amd shills.

put a glock in your mouth

Yeah, burning 300W for a router, what could go wrong.

You can get decent MikroTik router for a price of Raspberry Pi and all the shit you have to strap on it to even make it work, or for the price of running P4 machine 24/7 for a month.

pcpartpicker.com/list/B43BYr
I'm worried about memory compatibility
Would getting this 16gb 3200 set be worth it? Would I see improvements over the 2400 speed ram?

No.

>If you don't care about money and just wanna play gaymen at the highest possible FPS, get the 7700k.
Alright, thank you.

>implying full load 24/7
im not even that other guy but that's just fucking retarded

you can get equal speed RAM for $120 you tard

i7 is going to start lagging behind real fucking soon, Ryzen is already equal to i7 with good RAM.

not all computers run at 300w nor does a router max out the computer in anyway

It's possible, but if you've got money to burn and you want the best right now, 7700k is still the chip to beat. Brutal single-thread performance is still pretty much king. At the very least, you won't be disappointed.

>Ryzen is already equal to i7 with good RAM.
BUT MR SHEKELSTEIN TOLD ME THAT THE NEW I7 DESTROYS THE RYZEN MEME.

Ryzen isn't going to destroy Intel in terms of performance, it will destroy Intel in terms of value.

but it's not you fucking retard

I use this PC mostly for gaming and some other project related tasks. Looking for a major upgrade as I've just slowly been upgrading throughout the years.

Right now I'm thinking about getting a new CPU (and motherboard) as well as a new case. I've read that Ryzen is coming out soon, so I should at least wait until then for price drops on Intel CPUs.

My budget is around $400-$500, is there anything else I should upgrade?

pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/FYrt6h Intel core meme 7?
Or
pcpartpicker.com/user/oznerol10/saved/cM4mGX Memezen?

i have that exact same processor in my old build.

>My budget is around $400-$500,
not much u can do there, take this.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DC8rnn

Where are those benchmarks from? They are different from all of the others I have seen. I hope they are accurate, but it's still a new platform. The point stands, if you don't care about money the 7700k is a solid choice you won't regret.

I'm saying this as someone who is going to be upgrading to Ryzen. I can't afford to blow another $200 on the CPU, but if I could I would just get the 7700k.

Idle for any older CPU is fucking 80-100W, that itself is like 10-times more than a decent consumer router. You. Are. Wasting. Energy.

Fuck, my "good" computer is beaten by a budget build.

I forgot I also planned on getting an SSD for the OS. This is probably going to take more than $500.

>Fuck, my "good" computer is beaten by a budget build.
its been almost 8 years.

i still have my old one with similar specs to yours, i use it for older games.

is this a good idea?
building a video (mostly multicam) editing workstation, should also be able to handle some light after effects work
x99/6850k is a good bit more expensive here and less coars

1700 > 1800X

used 1080 > new 1070

I planned on using mine on an arcade cabinet, just keeping it in storage until I'm settled down.

I can afford more than $500, just hoping I didn't have to spend more than that. I'll wait until there's more info on Ryzen and see how that is before I take the next steps.

If got cables that are too fucking small to strip them with a cutter

Saw a video of someone heating the plastic with a lighter and swiping it off

Is it save or will it damage the cable ?

try reverse image searching you lazy faggot

*I've

Either foreign or a dumb phoneposter

appreciate the help mate

No. You can get 3TB hard drives of the same brand for 1/4 the price

>Upgrade from 2666MHz RAM to 3600MHz ram
>Get 10c plus temp on i7 6700k while rendering videos
Is this normal? I mean I guess it makes sense, I'm seeing a sizable increase in framerate compared to my old RAM, but this huge increase in heat makes my current cooling set up seem shitty.

can't buy used, I need proper invoices for the company
what makes the 1700 better?

which model would that be?

>chink shit hdd
EZRX or EZEX nigga

>can't buy used, I need proper invoices for the company
u dumb nigga, write it up its not fucking hard.

>what makes the 1700 better?
more performance for your buck.

I just built my new rig, mostly new parts, got the OS on an 240gb SSD.

Now, for storage, I have this old TB hd that might be cursed. I want to format and enslave it, but last time I tried that it fucked up my build on the last PC, although that build was super fucking sketchy.
What's the safest way to format this drive?
I'm thinking unplug the SSD, plug the old shit into the mobo, and just go into bios?

>but last time I tried that it fucked up my build on the last PC
what? how?
>What's the safest way to format this drive?
linux live os and low level format and check for errors
>I'm thinking unplug the SSD, plug the old shit into the mobo, and just go into bios?
do you even fucking know what format means?

bump

that capacitor needs to be drained

I'll offer you my services, 90 an hour.

Does Sup Forums have a recommended laptops list/guide somewhere? Anyway I'm looking for a laptop, mostly for just having 50+ tabs open in Firefox, but also for gaming a little bit. Budget is around $1000, thanks.

Try carefully peeling them with an exacto-knife

Be very very careful.

Just build a workstation feature am, multicam, ACAD, and Solidworks

Went with 1700x and a 1060 6GB no regrets

How well does ryzen handle 4k video files? Or would a pentium 4560 fair better? Thinking about building a htpc soon.

1700 can OC just as high as the 1800X for $170 less

Also get an asrock Taichi board if you can

I have an $750 limit, do you think it's possible to build a pc from scratch with with a Ryzen 5 CPU with that much?

Yes.
B350 board. Ryzen 5 1500/1400, RX480, RAM, drives

>RX480
why RX480 instead of MSI GeForce GTX 1060?

Also would I need cooling?

Better price/performance in almost all regions

Probably. Slap on a hyper 212 for 20 bucks

Maybe save a few bucks by going RX 470

If I'm going RX470 then I might I'm probably just going to get the GTX 1050 TI

7700k @ 5.1 Ghz
EVGA 970 Custom bios flashed and OC
Gigabyte Aorus K7
Samsung 960 250gb boot drive
Samsung 850 1tb storage drive
750w corsair power supply
Corsair h100i
Enthoo Evolv silver and black edition

But user the 470 is way better

Assuming I've already have an i7 7700k available, how hard would it be to install Win7 and which z270 mobos make it easier (manufacturer provided patches and tools)?

I bought an Aspire One 532H from ebay for 30 bucks.

Going to install an SSD in it, Have you guys bought any SSDs from Aliexpress and if so, which are the most trustworthy stores/brands?

I'll ask the /csg/ as well

>i7 7700k
>Win7
Kaby lake doesn't support win 7.

Kingdian

Doesn't support =/= can't run.