How hard would it be to just write my own video editing software?

How hard would it be to just write my own video editing software?

I have yet to find one that isn't total crap. I'm convinced I could do it better and more efficiently than Adobe given a month and some reading material

Other urls found in this thread:

haasn.xyz/posts/2016-12-25-falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-[video-stuff].html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're halfway intelligent... not too too difficult.

Just copy somebody shit and alter it and BAM you made one.

KEK SHIT LIKE AFTEREFFECTS IS PACKED WITH YEARS OF AUTISTIC ADOBE FEATURES

YOU COULD PROBABLY WRITE SOME BASIC SHIT LIKE VIRTUALDUB OR AVIDEMUX

REAL MEN JUST USE NOTEPAD AND AVISYNTH

hnnnnng.jpg

If you have to ask then it's too much work for you.

Video editors are made by entire teams of developers, you're one pleb.

>tattoo

ruined

>If you're halfway intelligent... not too too difficult.
That's why there are so many good ones already written by halfway intelligent coders.

You can say that for any type of fucking software, nitwit.

Just because it isn't "difficult," doesn't mean it won't take a long time.

I love it when faggots think everything is so easy, that they can do it so much better.

Entire teams of devs spend years of work on these programs.

Unless you got a solid engine and framework set down, it's gonna take you a couple years at least. And that's if you have experience making a piece of robust software like video editing.

>Entire teams of devs spend years of work on these programs.
Yeah and then out of the blue some bedroom hacker writes the same program with all the same functionality, addresses all the technical issues and makes it 300% faster in the span of a month and then throws it up on his website in a plain text blogpost. Go figure.

I actually wrote my own video playback in JavaScript at one point because the Windows app was so incredibly crappy.

You begin to suspect that these companies are just pretentious and more interested in maintaining an image of knowing what they're doing than actually writing good and useful software.

name?

I'm considering naming it after a watermill in some regard. So I can orient it towards streamers, get it

>I actually wrote my own video playback in JavaScript at one point because the Windows app was so incredibly crappy.

lol isn't this default html5?

Yeah but mine was a bit more extravagant and I tailored it towards me

It had thumbnail scrubbing and Vim-like features where you can jump ahead X seconds

I'd put it on Github if I weren't so embarrassed of my programming 3 years ago

Just use avisynth or vapoursynth

>default html5 feature with some fancy keybindings
>a whole video editing suite
>basically just as easy

You're quite right, you probably could build in it a few months. That's how you get sucked into shit like this. Implementing most things isn't very difficult, it's getting them properly fully featured and polished that is. I said "I bet I can develop a game engine in a few months" about two years ago and sure enough, I did. But it was just a basic renderer with babies first physics, some sound playback and input. Even now, two years in, I'm looking at another three to six months to finish it.

'Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance'

This, OP. Using visual drag n drop editing suits is for FUCKING CASULS

This is very true. Surely it would make more sense to take say, kdenlive and improve it or, if you have ideological disagreements with it's owners, fork it.

(Before anyone complains that kdenlive is shit, I've never used it, it's just the only example of an open source video editor I know of, except for That one).

Have u tried ffmpeg?

Sweet fucking jesus.

That's not an editor, it's not even a program.

It just converts files

You sound like every stupid asshole who wants something "simple" created, when they have no idea of the complexity required (or even what they actually want).

Faggot.

delet

Mah cracka.

>I'm convinced I could do it better and more efficiently than Adobe given a month and some reading material

>t. babby who feels good cause he made a little fizz buzz or todo

you have no fucking clue how much work goes into video--actually, ANY media related software.

if the extent of your video editing software is cutting clips, moving them around, and adding audio, then that can all be done with ffmpeg commands, and that's not really video editing. you can make a clone of Windows Movie Maker just by being a GUI frontend to ffmpeg--but that wouldn't be a video editor.

This.
I work at a production company. The idea that some Sup Forums retard could write something that a graphic designer or video editor would want to use is laughable.

But go ahead OP, give it your best shot.

It'll take you a month to realise how far in over your head you are.

Holy fuck, everyone look at how retarded this guy is.

Why do these entire teams of coders keep stopping once their product is a piece of crap that can do the basic stuff

Nice butt

What do you think video editing is? Converting video is the whole point, fmpeg can decode in real time if you need it to, you could build an editor with ffmpeg at the core.

haasn.xyz/posts/2016-12-25-falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-[video-stuff].html

Here's a fun read for you, OP.

OP, I believe in you.
If you've coded something before and have a drive to make something then I believe it can be done.

Interesting. Obviously op has considered these points.