RSS used to be all the rage in the 90s, no one talks about it anymore. What happened? Do you still use it?

RSS used to be all the rage in the 90s, no one talks about it anymore. What happened? Do you still use it?

I use it to autodownload animu

>What happened?
Social media feeds replaced them.

I use RSS daily. Feedly app on Android.

what said
feedly is the last bastion of the non-cancerous internet. a dying breed.

But where does it get its money? My father told me never to trust something if I can't see where it keeps its brai--er, income source.

You can purchase a non free version. Basically same with some other functions I don't care but pay nevertheless because great light software.

There is a premium subscription for paying members and also there are some light ads.

For lots of sites and torrents

Of course, it's great

twitter serves the same purpose for normies.

I personally only discovered RSS a few years ago. There are tons of open source feed readers on F-Droid, no ads whatsoever.

Having a separate program download, format and display articles along with images is far more convenient than having to deal with myriads of shitty websites' adverts, bad web design and sluggish performance.

Is there any alternative to yahoo pipes yet?

I use it every day.
It's great for automating updates and downloads.

>RSS used to be all the rage in the 90s

Try early 2000s, kiddo. No one cared about RSS in 99 when it was first sketched.

Since last month free version has a limit of 100 feeds in 3 directories per account. I had over 350 feeds and it still works, but I have not tried adding new sources.

WTF? I have like two dozens of folders. Heck, it won't even let me subscribe to new feeds unless I put it in a directory.

I have been using RSS for 10+ years, several times a day. Ever since Google Reader is no more, I have been using feedly, which is ok, I guess, but their constant "buy premium" nagging is starting to piss me of. I've had Tiny Tiny RSS running on a RasPi, but performance has always felt a bit sluggish, plus there is no decent iOS app, unfortunately.

It just became classic already. Like gsm audiocalls. No one talk about it, no one ever faced any problem with it, it doesn't changes for decades. It just werks and everyone use it.

how?
Doesn't it notify you of every upload?
How do you make it so that only the stuff you want comes through?
Also once I delete things they keep getting resent to me

Use RSS every day, I get mine through InoReader. Closest thing to the old google reader I've found, tried feedly, the old reader, digg, and nothing came close.

Hell yeah i use it.
Especially for Chinese novel translations.
There's over a dozen sites translating them,
and constantly new one's cropping up.

Any links for setups or examples of use?

I use it for reading the news with Feedly and also for automated torrent downloads.

Flexget

Mercifully a vast majority of sites still have RSS feeds. I suspect many have no idea they have them though and they're just part of whatever framework they used to build their page. If it ever goes away entirely the number of pages I view will go down dramatically. I really can't be assed to check 100 different sites for new updates multiple times a day, which RSS does for me.

I use it to the point I actually pay money for TheOldReader premium.

IF sites didn't have RSS/Atom/Etc. support,
they'd be consigning themselves to server
death once everyone starts refreshing their pages and using destructive methods to get updates automatically.
Even e-mail update methods are shit.

Deluge build-in rss reader can filter with regex.
It also remembers what it downloaded

still werks for me.
just a little mad some forums don't enable RSS feeds plugin.

When I look at my page of rss feeds, I feel like I'm cheating the web.
But it's ok, that's what they're for.
Not much to talk about though, theyre just an often overlooked backseat convenience.

I used to use feedbin and that was honestly the best rss service I´ve ever used, but didn´t want to pay anymore.
YOu can technically host it yourself, but the documentation I found gave me a headache and I don´t think I´d be able to set it up on my own. So now I´m switching between feedly and inoreader.

yup, i still use RSS every day. i basically get all of my news from it

>Chinese novel translations.
mah nigga
novelupdates is just too slow

Often they have it enabled but don't put the URLs anywhere, so there's a good chance you can still subscribe if you simply add /feed.php for phpbb boards or something like /external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=id&lastpost=true for vbulletin to the URL.

lets say I want to download a certain anime from a certain sub group
I don't want all the junk I just want to automatically download what I want
one day I will learn to use RSS

learn regex.
Or use sickrage or sickbeard.

I use it for youtube and webcomics.

I'm using RSSOwl.
I'd move onto QuiteRSS, but the UI it is running is broken compared to RSSOwl when it meets with a custom theme on Windows.
Wish they redid their UI to fit present standards.

I'm currently using the free Feedly. I've used Liferea in the past, and Firefox's built in live bookmarks.

shana project

Used the internet since the mid 90s and have never bothered with RSS. Isn't it just a textual list of updates to a website?

RSS is awesome, people don't use it because it's an open standard and nobody is pushing for it.

I use it all the time, it's a great way of offline-read a bunch of newssites without downloading the whole page.

Best RSS reader for GNU+Linux?

tt-rss on your server

I'd rather have something local

If you listen to podcasts you use RSS.

rss2email

Newsbeuter.

flexget is pretty neat for that

or Canto

>built-in
deluge doesn't have built-in rss
install yarss2 plugin, get rss link of subgroup profile on nyaa or shana, add a new sub and in the incluse field write the anime's name or name*.*resolution

newsbeuter and whatever Android thing I use (Flym?) for gaming news so I don't have to go anywhere near Sup Forums
newsbeuter is the shit

>install yarss2
I just did but it's not showing up in my plugin manager in deluge

Thunderbird, obviously.

never-mind I downloaded it for the wrong python version....