/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

opus-codec.org/downloads/
opus-codec.org/news/
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#By_date
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for Source Mage GNU/Linux

Display managers won't start X (they kinda lock and then reload after a few seconds). startx works even unprivileged. Had no problem until I updated the kernel. Launching CDM first then my DM works fine. Nothing appears in any logs, strace is useless. What do? Please respond edition.

I'm a long time MacOS user.
what is the best distro to switch too,
aesthetics are good
(i need to develop shit)

where do you guys usually put your self-compiled programs?

i tend to put them in their own directory under /usr so i can remove them easily afterwards

Small things next to shell scripts in ~/bin.
Larger things are packaged and installed.

i didn't have good experiences with elementary os

>using """display managers"""

>What do?
continue using startx
you can put it in your ~/.profile (or ~/.bash_profile) to start automatically when you log in from tty1
[ $(tty) == '/dev/tty1' ] && startx

= was correct user
== is a bashism

But I don't want to have to type my username all the time when it could come already typed-in. I also don't want to have to edit files just to switch to another WM config, or DE, when I could click a button for that. Plus it all worked just fine until a few hours ago.

I have a Manjaro USB I'm trying to get to boot on my custom desktop (Intel UEFI mobo, Nvidia GPU), but for whatever reason, whenever I select it to load with either free or non-free drivers, it goes to the boot sequence with no video output and just stops (light on the USB drive goes quiet after only a couple of seconds).

I imagine it's some issue with X not being able to output to the display? What's happening?

You might need to boot from usb to fix the problem. I remember having this problem with my Arch install when I installed drivers for my rx480 (non-free). It turned out the drivers were causing issues with my hardware and installing the opensource drivers solved the issue.

I'm...trying to boot from USB...it's a Manjaro boot disk.

lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:38 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fbec0000-fbedffff ioport:de00(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff

Clock being at 33MHz concerns me. Searching has left me fruitless, and I do not have much experience with drivers. Is that a normal amount? Its page on AMD says the engine clock is 800MHz and Memory clock is 1250MHz

I have XFCE on Mint. For some reason the description for Catfish in the menu is in a weird alien language, is there a way to fix this?

guys how do i change opening locations of applications in ubuntu, like everytime i open an application it snaps to top left or bottom left corners i wanna have it open somewhere in the middle, how to do?

oh mb sorry :(

You know j4-dmenu-desktop exists right?

Start using OpenBox, and customize ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.

comp specs?

if you dont want to do much tweaking go ubuntu, maybe some redhat, im unfamiliar with them

low specs go LXLE or Lubuntu, or really low specs go puppy

if you want to play around more, go Arch or Gentoo or barebones Debian and put something like i3wm(current fad gui, only tiling one ive tried yet, its nice)

or you could try darwin, not Linux though

6700k +1070 (hackintoshing)(gpu is unusable )

I was looking to get into Linux, well I installed ubuntu however I didn't really like it, and I was looking into Mint, however there are 4 versions of the desktop. Cinnamon Desktop, MATE desktop, Xfce desktop, and KDE. Are these merely aesthetic? I thought the KDE looked the best however Mint's website recommends Cinnamon as it is the most popular.

>Right click
>Edit application
How is this not the first thing you tried?

Since you can freely change between desktops it doesn't matter which one you get.

not autists enough, is there a way I could ssh into my system from my laptop and change it from the tty?

What did you not like about Ubuntu? unity? id suggest against Mint, but its what I started out with so like hypocrisy and stuff

Why bother changing it if you aren't even looking at it? Wtf?

Honestly, it was unity, also I would like super+t to open terminal not the trash, however you can't rebind that in a simple way. I'm sure there is an application or perhaps some terminal fuckery you can do, however switching operating systems will work just fine too.

>not autists enough,
Translation: I'm stupid

The concept of right clicking something to access options exists EVERYWHERE in modern GUIs

>Honestly, it was unity, also I would like super+t to open terminal not the trash, however you can't rebind that in a simple way
*All DEs come with a gui to edit application shortcuts afaik. As well as another gui for window manager shortcuts.

It's mostly aesthetic -- anything truly important is consistent between DEs (for example, your package manager), and any major differences can be added by the user afterwards.

But honestly, I just found most DEs to be clunky and trash, even if (at the time as I was using Ubuntu/Mint/etc.) I didn't know "why" I wasn't enjoying myself. Switching to pure WMs (and then to tiling WMs) made me really think about what I wanted in my desktop experience, and then I added additional programs and keyboard shortcuts to accommodate those desires.

lmao
>search for terminal
>wild rubbish bin appears
>[fight]
>[run away]

/fglt/

Anyone know about fixing problems with the iwlwifi driver? My Thinkpad x230 has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 and I can't get more than 24Mb/s no matter what I do. I've googled for hours and tried using G instead of N. It only slowed it down even more. I tried turning off bluetooth and enabling antenna aggregation. Nothing works. I have an 85Mb/s pipe and not even getting half that speed no matter what I do. My Windows partition is getting the maximum bandwidth so it's not the hardware. Not sure where to go from here.

Try changing the 11n_disable flag.

Trying to install arch on virtualbox. I've done this a few times before, never had any issues.

This time after install I reboot and I get this message dozens of times when I boot from hdd

"isolinux: Found something"

What the fuck

tried 11n_disable=1 already
didn't help

>virtualbox
Pussy. Wipe Windows and go balls deep like a real man.

Is anyone really married to one DE? It seems like most people switch it up a little bit. I mean switching DEs is a feature built into display managers and the system as a whole. Every time I do a fresh install I wind up getting bored with the DE I chose and wind up installing something else. Not to knock any of them it just gets old using/seeing the same environment every day. I have Xfce, GNOME, i3, and KDE on this system. Thinking about purging KDE but I'm happy with everything else living together on my system. Even considering installing MATE to freshen it up some more. Honestly if you're sticking to GTK DEs and doing minimal installs it's very few packages to get a whole new DE going.

tried 8?

>"isolinux: Found something"
Have you tried removing the iso from the vm?

already ran arch as the only thing on my older laptop till it died

yeah, tried that too, even tried disabling all power saving with no success

No idea then, but post when you find a solution.

>doesnt even work on ideal environment (vbox)
>want him to install on real hw
lol
linux is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Why does this command:

opusenc myalbum.wav myalbum.opus

result in a file several KB larger than this one:

ffmpeg -i myalbum.wav myalbum.opus

I ran ffprobe on both output files, and it appears that the first shows encoder: "opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.9" while the latter shows "Lavc57.64.101 libopus". Does this mean libopus is more up-to-date/efficient than opusenc? Why else does it give me smaller files at the same bitrate?

by the way, I'm using Arch, and according to the packages, the opus (libopus) was just updated this year while opus-tools (opusenc) hasn't been since 2014

im booting from the hard drive, iso is on the cd rom drive

>Is anyone really married to one DE?

I've been with Cinnamon pretty much since the beginning. Tried other DEs and I just always keep coming back. Dunno what it is, everything just werx the way I like (aside from the constant memory leaks).

Why isn't there a unified repo project for Linux distributions?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Try changing system font

please post "just werx" never again
don't do it, please

I feel like you answered your own question...

Arch isn't the bad guy, btw. As you can see here
opus-codec.org/downloads/ and
opus-codec.org/news/
0.1.9 really is the latest version of opus-tools.

Nonetheless, libopus was being updated in the meantime, and ffmpeg took advantage of that.

thanks anyway, but i'm not hopeful
maybe i can just get a wireless usb dongle with better driver support

>(aside from the constant memory leaks)
I remember GNOME being that way for a long time. It's fixed now but it blew my mind.

I just use openbox with tint2 as a taskbar all the time.
I used to have multiple DEs installed but wound up just keeping one to log into for those rare times when I try to do something and realize I don't have it setup already with openbox and I don't do it enough to bother.
The whole "oh there's a menu here and a tree menu over there" just annoys me when I can just have the stuff I use all the time open right there with a right click of the mouse.
Anytime I use any of the DEs now I wind up right clicking expecting what I need to pop up.

Different distributions use different standards for placing things in their repositories.
Arch places very current packages on AUR
Ubuntu/apt repositories will typically be behind, it allows them to be reasonably sure your system will not explode.

The closest you are going to get is setting up your distribution to take from different repositories, like Arch can do with Pacman, Emerge, apt, Yum, etc.
>Foot as icon
I'm too autistic to accept this.

Hey Sup Forumsuys I'm learning about controlling processes
and an example I'm given is this(with output):

# nice +5 updatedb &

[1] 31154
nice: +5: No such file or directory
[1]+ Exit 127 nice +5 updatedb

when I run it in a virtual terminal or over ssh I get this:

# nice +5 updatedb &

[1] 31477
# nice: +5: No such file or directory

_

>Gentoo fag got ransomwared
forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
Oh boy

sudo nice -n 10 updatedb

afaik nice needs -n to define the niceness

So the opus devs just stopped maintaining opus-tools or something? And I should only really be using libopus at this point?

>setting up your distribution to take from different repositories

Yeah that's where you're living on a prayer though and had better be prepared to fix things.
People seem to especially break Debian all the time just trying to use some packages from unstable with their stable install and this and that from testing.

>running firefox as root
>running firefox as root with flash enabled

nigga sheit

I guess I'll have to message the author about his typo thanks guys, I feel ashamed though I should've just went to the fucking man page.

Oh I don't recommend setting up different repositories like that at all, just saying it can be done.
I guess someone could make a repo of appimages to run on any system without the need for any of the other managers, but then you have the competing standards dilemma.

>So the opus devs just stopped maintaining opus-tools or something?

I mean, I guess so? I'm assuming they'll update opus-tools at some point but haven't felt the need.

>And I should only really be using libopus at this point?

If you don't specifically need opus-tools/opusenc, I don't see why not.

so I heard the mp3 patent will die this year, does this mean that mp3 will be free? will distros like fedora ship it?

Richard Stallman is coming to speak at my university on April 11th (Michigan State University), but I have an exam the next day... should I sacrifice some study time to see the man? I'm not sure if I actually grasp his importance to the world of computer science. I know Sup Forums has his face in the sticky ...

Fedora has been shipping codecs the moment they leave patent for years now

I see. Well, I'm not sure if I need opusenc, but I was using it because I couldn't get libopus to work with shnsplit. I use a command similar to this:

shnsplit -f myalbum.cue -o "cust ext=opus opusenc" myalbum.tta

to split a .tta album into individual .opus files for each track. That "opusenc" parameter specifies the encoder, since shnsplit/shntool doesn't natively recognize opus yet I guess. But if I replace "opusenc" with "libopus" or "opus", I get an undescriptive error.

Any idea how I could get shnsplit to use the libopus encoder? Otherwise I'm gonna need some stupid workaround like decompressing all the .tta's to .wav's first, which would be annoying

Do it faggot.

mp3 sucks anyway. Why would you need to use it when one of opus, vorbis, or AAC has been better for years now?

maybe because every little shit player mostly supports it

cycle of hell, normies don't drop shit and better things have a hard time to catch on

reminder that even fucking rar is still a thing

Mostly true of vorbis and especially AAC as well. We can all thank Applel for that

>firefox as root
whoops

Reminds me of
>people cry GNU/Linux has not games
>people stick to Windows
>developers write games for what's popular
>people cry GNU/Linux has not games

or

>why are there no free drivers
>nevermind, I'll use the nonfree ones
>manufractors see no reason to open source
>why are there no free drivers

Holy hell, how to stop this

Yea, at this point there's no reason to compress in anything but .7z or .txz, and maybe .tgz. Especially not closed-source shit like rar

can I get a list of packages and the order they were installed in from arch linux

Ah. That's out of my wheelbarrow, I guess.

Since it's lossless, maybe splitting them to flac and then using ffmpeg to get them to opus via libopus will work?

What are the recommended ffmpeg settings to convert to flac? pls no bully

Anyone wanna help me install Debian on a powermac g4?

Downloaded the powerpc iso, installed it and everything, it's already on the computer and I can boot into a terminal, but as soon as I try to start X or any DE it just goes to a black screen

For the record, this thing has a nvidia card. I have the nouveau drivers installed...

Does anyone ITT use GNU stow and can give me a retard friendly tl;dr how to use it to manage my dotfiles?

Yea, that's actually what I was going to try. Only problem is, this is over a terabyte of .tta's I'm dealing with (touhou lossless music collection), so splitting them to flac basically doubles the disk space used, unless I delete the .tta's as I go. But that precludes seeding the torrent, obviously. Well, fuck. Time to buy a bigger external hard drive I guess.

what's a good tiling wm/workflow for small resolutions? been trying out i3 but it feels a bit claustrophobic with more than 2 windows

The defaults are probably fine. It's not like any of it is going to affect the quality.
ffmpeg -i input.wav output.flac
Although if you don't have a lossless source, don't bother.

how do i enable webm thumbnails in file picker?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#By_date
The wiki is your friend

upvoted, also interested here

What does "as root" mean?

Put sudo before the command and enter your password. Or use su and enter the root password.

The trick is to use small fonts. Try small bitmap fonts like lemon, cure, or tewi. Rice your browser, remove all the shit you don't need like buttons, bookmark bar, etc. Hope it help.s

The wiki used to be great but its been edited down to remove tons of information by asshole autists that hate utility and they are slowly turning the wiki from a great resource into a collection of man pages

They scrapped the Beginner's Guide and the new Install Guide is complete trash

Run the command as the root user, i.e. the "admin" of the computer.

You must morph into a tree.

Meh, the only thing of note I noticed recently was the removal of several outdated info and major cleanups. I couldn't care less if the newbie guide was removed, it just went from all relevant info in 1 page to several pages.

one setting you might want to mess with is the compression level. by default it's 5, but can go up to 12. It'll take longer (more than a linear increase in time as you approach 12, I believe), but if you want the absolute smallest filesize that's the way to go. so

ffmpeg -i input.wav -compression_level 5 output.flac
ffmpeg -i input.tta -compression_level 12 output.flac
etc.

Thanks