/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/quartz-control-with-balance/
lmgtfy.com/?q="valjoux" "7750" "loose" "minute hand"
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice. Is there anything lawyerfag doesn't have? I want to see close ups of his collection

Hi dad

I guess bug him to take a higher res pic of his collection next time he drops by.

Who likes the 80s AESTHETIC here?

>Time Computer
>Panda Dial Chronos for days
AESTHETIC AS FUCK NIGGAS

Breitling: Poser brand for posers

out of your fucking league

>> $450,000

It's the only Datejust I would have.

>non analog display
>time set to 10:10 anyway

Ebin.

> 21st century
> mechanical watches

How can you even be such a massive faggot. Kill yourselves, degenerate hipsters. Feed your watches to Ugandian niggers, they bite metal.

Just ordered this,what does Sup Forums hate about it?

Overpriced, that's about it.

hideous design

Bar indices, Arabic numerals, and Roman numerals? Brown textured dial? Huge gap between case and strap? >>>bauhaus?

It's the Homer Car of watches.

>Bar indices, Arabic numerals, and Roman numerals?
Yeah, what the fuck is going on here?

>and neither is that watch.
It's a rare kind of quartz-controlled balance wheel movement. So it's quartz.

I'm not a fan of the "reverse california" dial. and the long lugs of the club always kind of put me off.
other than that i think it's a really great watch. i prefer the lighter dial colours though.

i'm going to need more info then, because my small brain can't fathom how this would work.

It's a needlessly complicated form of quartz timekeeping. I'm not exactly sure how it works either, I guess the balance replaces the stepping motor of an ordinary quartz movements.

electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/quartz-control-with-balance/

>twelve
>one
>two
>one
>IV, not IIII (don't do this unless you're Raketa)
>one
>thirty
>one
>eight
>one
>one O (or ten alternatively)
>one
Homos shill will defend this.

well that didn't help at all!

You'll never see one of these watches irl in your entire life, unless you specifically get one from Ebay.

Remember Rikki Six and her yellow fake F-91W? That got me thinking: how can we make a girl wear a Vostok Amphibia on her next shoot? Like a very meme Vostok, like a Ministry on a NATO, or a 090 scubadude on shark mesh.

the answer is to shoot your own movie

How does this make you feel?

Thoughts on RGM?
Never see anyone post them. Lot of their shit seems a bit over the top looks wise, but the simple ones look pretty sweet.
Interesting that they are striving for the first really all American made watch in over 50 years.

keke. i mean you know that looks retarded right?

Ok kid, you're very witty and clever. Now go the fuck back.

I've heard of leaving your watch crown down overnight. What does this do and why would I do so? Does it damage the watch at all?

Generally it'd make the watch run slower than if you left it dial up. No, it doesn't do any damage.

About to pull the trigger on ray ii. Is there any other good automatic watches for less than 200usd?
I almost ordered an skx but the hacking and handwindable features of the ray won me over.

>Homos
Lmao

Setting it down on the crown every day for years causes slow erosion that will destroy parts of the keyless work and the mainplate. I've seen pics of these, but I can't find it right now, but it happens.

On the other hand if it's a Vostok Amphibia you're probably safe because of the clutch disconnect. Or if it has an offset crown like the Seiko 5.

A bit expensive for what they are. That one in particular is $10k. If you want hacking seconds? That's another $1250.

It's not the best version of the Club.

Reminder that adding hacking is literally dropping in this part most of the times.

What does Sup Forums hate about this watch?

Generic and therefore overly expensive.

not really much else for divers. if you're not willing to spend $300, it's SXK or Orient.

that one's bigger and twice as expensive as the one he posted.

Sup /wt/ , I'm at Japan at the moment . Just bought myself a sarb065 for my first watch. How did I do?

when the only part of a watch that makes it different is the bracelet, you know you're onto a shit watch.
there's nothing wrong with it. there's also no reason to buy it over literally any other diver.
if you're going to get a breitling, get something that other brands don't do.

i really don't like the dial and the size of this watch.
if you do, good for you, it's a decent watch. it was just discontinued too.

It's still better.

Looks awful compared with a brown leather strap. At least the black NATO looks like what the crew of the Apollo Meme wore on their spacemen costumes. .

In black black NATO looks kinda cool. Like a seatbelt.

I'd rather have the green alpinist as I find the face a little tacky. Saying that I've never actually seen one in the flesh.

Nice Doniel Wellington homage

It's not fancy or anything compared to what's in /wt/, but I love this watch

It's not tuesday, reddit

How?

I fucking hate fake tritium/radium paint. Instantly ruins a watch.

It's like buying new jeans with the knees torn up or a milsurp firearm that someone has intentionally beat the shit out of to make it look like it saw more combat usage.

>that date window

It doesn't look retarded and it's an automatic not manual wind.

>diesel
Needs covering in gasoline and setting alight.

>it's an automatic not manual wind.
Is that a good thing? It means it's thicker

Me I guess since I'm finally having my dad's maximum two-tone datejust serviced (it looks like pic related).

I'm trying to decide between leaving it on the jubilee or putting it on a brown leather strap OR getting an aftermarket two-tone oyster (I don't like how side to side flexible jubilees are).

That it doesn't use the DUW 3301 or DUW 4401. Also I prefer the regular club dial.

The hands are boring as fuck
The roman numerals look stupid

>Being in Japan
>Not buying vintage Seikos to flip at a profit.
What did he mean by this?

Is it a bad idea to wear mechanicals when you run

It's just more convenient as you don't have to wind it and can put it on a watch winder when you're not wearing it.

I would leave it on the jubilee for maximum yuppie factor.

I actually prefer manual wind watches

Probably not if its something that's shock resistant, like seiko 5. Also, arms swing aound in smooth motions more than they do small shocks while you run. I'd argue that riding a bike on a rough surface or riding in a vehicle in a street with many bumps is more more detrimental than running.

It's a gaudy piece of shit no matter what strap you put it on.

Only aesthetic value it has at this point is ironic.

This type of thing might come back in style in a few decades anyway, so hold onto it.

Good for you, there is a version of the Club that is manual wind and looks pretty much exactly like the automat I posted.

>tfw when you haven't posted in a long while

For your next piece add a good watch.

>hey what time is it
>uhh I don't know these metal pliers are blocking the hands

Nice meme box

Needs more seiko

I've had at least 15 different Seiko's so far and these 4 are the only ones left.

>jubilee on a turtle
Disgusting.

How are the vintage pieces treating you? Here's the blue dialed LM Special I was waiting for, now in the 5206-6061 case with a sapphire crystal.

>Not grasping the concept of an inherited watch having sentimental value rather than aesthetic.
What did he mean by this?

Anyone? Is my shit fucked?

Pretty good in terms of accuracy and reliability.

Only the Poljot might need a service soon, as the cannon pinion is slipping a little bit.

lmgtfy.com/?q="valjoux" "7750" "loose" "minute hand"

It took me 24 seconds to Google the information you wanted, you lazy incurious dumbfuck. Now take your hot steaming garbage shitter chronograph movement and FUCK OFF.

Cool. This 5206 has been doing fairly well since servicing. It still shows the amplitude variance that seems to be common with 52xx movements when they are freshly serviced but the gains and losses tend to cancel each other out meaning it's already fairly accurate.

>tfw going to be a Seiko owner soon
There's no turning back now, is it? I have a Suwa 6106 5Actus coming in from Japan.

Coincidentally I might buy a pretty good condition Daini 7019 5Actus from a local estate, original bracelet and all. I hope the grandkids don't get greedy and try to go for some ridiculous price. I'm offering them $60 simply because it's non-working right now (might just need a good cleaning, or one part replaced)

Also fuck these people for trying to pawn their still fresh grandfathers Seiko. At least it's going to be in better care with me than with them or some flea market savage.

Mine doesn't need a service anytime soon as it was serviced somewhere in late 2016.

Also, here's the catalog pick showing it with the original "coffin link" bracelet.

6106's are good movements overall, though they do share the same mainspring bearing issues as the 6105 (same movement, just day only).

7019 (or 7XXX series in general) are much more robust movements and are the predecessors to the 7S26, and they are usually higher quality.

The meme master needs more shit.

What's the current meme watch?

What do you expect when you get subhumans like who are literally unable to comprehend respecting an inhereted legacy and can only think how many sheckles they could wring out of their father or grandfather's corpse.

>mainspring bearing
Mainspring arbor*

That bracelet is nice.

Also, besides the 5740C, was there any other Suwa designs that weren't fundamentally flawed? Seriously, how did so many Suwa movement designs end up prone to issues whole so few Daini designs are?

A 5601 LM or a 5621 KS when they come up, also the 62XX line are reliable suwa made calibers, from the 6206&6216 to the 62GS.

Alpinist or cocktail time

or an enamel presage if you're not into awful looking shit

Casio memes.

nice

I want to get a ray ii but I'm worried about the screw down crown. The crown of my ray i is absolutely fucking retarded after a few years. Almost impossible to screw down unless I push really fucking hard.

Have you ruined the threads or is their just shit in there you need to clean out?

got me this recently. loving it.

At least someone is, gross.

>Cosmotron
nice

Back from service and running -2spd. Not sure about the replacement crown though.