Give me a rundown on the importance of privacy

Give me a rundown on the importance of privacy.

Why should I care if the NSA knows about my hentai collection?

t. uninitiated normie

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9066
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Humans are always looking to fuck over other humans.
The more material they have on you, the greater the leverage they have to do so.

fpbp

Here's the biggest thing from my standpoint.

History has shown that any computer system, given enough effort, can be compromised. Be it through bad design, bad implementation, or just some fuckhead leaving an important password in an easily accessible place. Systems get compromised all the time because of one of these effects and government agencies are NOT an exception. It happened recently when someone discovered a bunch of CIA hacking tools on a random server because some contractor left them there.

So there is the issue. All of your personal information isn't 'safe'. If someone wanted to, your information on these NSA servers can be compromised from an outside source and then leaked all over the internet. What then?

Yeah, right now, you've got anonymity in numbers. There is so much data that yours is probably in some massive catalog somewhere and it is possible that someone may never really look at it; however, the possibility of it being compromised still exists.

privacy is a human right
some people may not use their right, but some need this right
not caring about your own rights means not caring about other peoples rights
be a good citizen and take care that our rights stay in tact

i wish we could devalue the data rather than tremble in fear of fat russian hackers and throw sheckles at securityjews

There are a lot of reasons.

1. Security. If the NSA can reach it, then someone else can as well.
2. Reputation. Everything they know about you, can be used against you to ruin your life. Secret services love to ruin reputations of people.
3. Legislation creep. The government tends to make regulations based on what they perceive. So they will slowly become more and more intrusive.
4. Current laws. Most people do not know if they have committed a crime. Storing hentai online for example can break some civil or criminal law if you do not have the correct license.
6. Future governments. You cannot rely on this government being in power forever. If you end up with a more oppressive government in the future then you might not want to be on their radar.

Number 5 remains private.

There are two rules for success
First of all, never tell everything you know

If you don't care, you don't care and that's fine. BUT (assuming I'm speaking to a normie and not a virgin, forever alone, NEET) everytime authority is given the opportunity to invade another portion of your life, they are building on a previous set of invasions. This is important to acknowledge because even if you trust that the authorities won't take advantage of the fact that they know YOUR weaknesses, there are people who are not breaking any laws, that could be. It's also true that the abilities gained are taken advantage of more frequently as time passes, so this is especially important if you care at all about the future. Your children, or their children, may end up being silenced, censored into not reaching their potentials, or jailed for things that are completely legal. There may come a time when one of our offspring would have the opportunity to make the world better, but is silenced because the current political authorities have the power to collect everything you say or do amd extrapolate based on this information the likely hood that you will disrupt there current situation. We shouldn't be working toward a future where people aren't allowed to think freely, and every time we allow the surveillance state an inch, the long term effects COULD affect the ability of future residents of earth to do so.

Privacy is an important part of democracy because you need privacy to organize protest without being shut down by a tyrannical government.

They can also use it against your favorite activist, journalist or politician. As you saw during the elections.

Your sixth makes it sound like aliens could invade earth, and these aliens could possibly be totally against hentai collections. They might wipe you from existence if they come to our planet. So it's not good to have hentai or games collection since they don't like it. Life is all about today. If you smoke, you probably should quit it before some next world government starts prohibiting it.

Im from the Netherlands. A few decades ago we had a German government who loved our religious registrations.
In Poland they have had both a soviet and nazi government.
In Turkey they now suddenly go after Gulenists.

It might be less of an issue in the USA. But not every country has the luxury of living far away from any threats.

Didnt the USA wanted to put the American Japs in camps when Japan attacked them?

No, sorry, i mean that imo actually fearing the future is not a way to live nor a valid argument since we are not there yet. Of course we have to think about the future, but what is the point in deleting all our loved hentai collection? If an evil governmente does comes in, right, back it all up inside a flash drive and delete everything from the main source.

>governmente

You cannot delete anything from Google's servers. They just mark it as hidden pending deletion. But then there still are backups.

Same goes with other large services.

Well, that didn't take long.

First reason to not back it up online or store or anything related to that. My private stuff never goes online at least. And i don't use Windshit 10.

The same goes for Microsoft when their telemetry stores hashes of your files. Have they ever mentioned when they delete those hashes?

I'm tired of these threads. Think of my having a catalogue of every single thing you've ever looked at and me being able to use it however I want. Or think of me having a camera while you're in the shower.

Yes, they did. It was an executive order

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9066

USA is destabilizing itself as we speak. People who were living during Roman Empire collapse did not realize that, despite it being apparent from the outside. Today's world spins much faster than in the ancient times, the fall will come much faster and its gonna be shorter. I believe we can expect major happening within the next 20 years.

I think being a superpower for ~100 consecutive years is enough to be considered a feat of strength, so that's neat.

wow user did you get that from facebook?

yes

Perhaps I haven't worded the question in the best way. I'm not asking about the importance of privacy as a right, I'm asking about the importance of exercising that right if I'm not doing anything that would be condemned by authority (as in hiding my identity online or the secret ingredient to my grandmother's cookies).

That is true, but how many locks do you have on your door? One? Two? Ten? Do you unlock all 10 locks every day going to work and lock all 10 when you get back home? The more locks you get the bigger inconvenience it would be to rob you, and even then there could be threats that would not be stopped by any number of locks. So clearly at some point you stop buying locks and say "it's not worth the trouble". If my point is lower than yours, how do you justify your threshold being much higher than mine? I would be losing luxuries of convenience by trying to pile security on top of a door that nobody benefits from opening.

>that nobody benefits from opening.
In addition, let's say I don't have a fear of targeted ads.

I care because I'm not an American.