Software absent on Linux that keeps you from switching to Linux full time

>software absent on Linux that keeps you from switching to Linux full time.

Go.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!vAhB2KaQ!xLlHc5kf3tIMoxobZIwpehy8mPh9-p2RDwGEql8YEnQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

adobe
ms office

>Outdated video player reliant on proprietary APIs
>Shitty, proprietary music player for autists
Literally who cares?

Thumbnails in file picker.

gaymes

>not running Windows in a virtual machine

>proprietary
now try again without memeing

>not running Linux in a virtual machine so you have an actual working host OS

What? It's a completely accurate thing to say.

The Foobar fandom is beyond me.

What sets foobar2k aside from other music players? Genuinely curious, I used it years ago in my Windows days but aside from just liking the interface, I didn't see anything special about it.

I use Foobnix in Linux now, which looks a lot like foobar2k, but only because I like the look of the interface and the global hotkeys, not really for any specific features.

what is thunar

AutoCAD
ArchiCAD
Adobe Suite
Gaymes

performance, technical straightforwardness, lightweight customization, control over features

A file manager.

>performance
We talk about a fucking music player.

useless

Good opinion

Your post is useless

your dick is useless

I primarily use linux. I don't often need Windows but I keep a partition around for those few times I do.
You were saying?

WHY is no one using Qt

Praise the kek

So?

Any better alternatives?

gimme ur pics

Been using Linux this past week as my 'le daily driver'

To be honest, the only program I really miss is ShareX - I realize there are some alternatives, but ShareX is really well polished and has basically everything I need.

For now I'm using lightscreen, which is bleh

>autistically naming your gay reaction images
I believe you.

Nothing, just autistic excuses doesn't make any sense. It's ok as i have deadbeef, but only used on bsd.

Makes finding them easier.
mega.nz/#!vAhB2KaQ!xLlHc5kf3tIMoxobZIwpehy8mPh9-p2RDwGEql8YEnQ

what's better?

do you really feel safe running software on your computer that could be doing all sorts of things you don't know about?

Windows can't do stuff like PCI-passthrough, though. It is objectively the worst bare-metal OS.

Visual studio and the office suit, really like onenote and i don't know if there's an alternative to outlook with all the features.

>mpv
>mpd

>99.9% of Steam's catalog
>Overwatch
>Sonic: After the Sequel
>Windows 10 Store (Halo 5 Forge and Halo 6)
>GameMaker Studio
>Unreal Engine 4
>Adobe Photoshop
>MS Paint
>foobar2000
>Notepad
>Notepad++
>Internet Explorer (My preferred method of downloading Firefox)

Literally all CAD/CAM

>Unreal Engine 4
The editor doesn't compile on linux or is it too unstable?

smplayer. Performs better than mpc and it just works out of the box

>performs better than mpc
what is your definition of performance? MPC never gave me trouble when watching movies and animu

I think you're supposed to work in Windows and then output to Linux.

>feels unsafe running closed source software
>uses a web browser which has freedom to run any code it pleases

>that could be doing all sorts of things you don't know about?
like what?

So mpv or mpc? I'm using mpv right now for how quick and simple it is but I wouldn't mind switching if mpc could play more types of files and looked just as minimal and ran faster.

ok I'm stupid, it looks like Unreal does run on linux fairly well, I must have read something wrong

hey don't hate on foobar

>Archicad
>Illustrator
>some gaymes

You can play touhou on wine.

Visual Studio
Adobe Suite
Proper drivers
hum... Dark Souls

I run Windows in a VM, Ubuntu bare metal.
Windows just doesn't cut it for me as a daily driver, hell, it even lacks tabbed file manager.

ubuntu would absolutely suit my needs of only adobe ran on it

>filename on the right

terrible

In a sandbox. Admittedly, one with frequent vulnerabilities, but still.

>what is wine

It takes deadbeef 15 fucking god damn minutes to scan my music library when I add new stuff. It takes foobar2000 seconds and it keeps itself updated automatically.

I will admit foobar does pretty good on wine, it didn't on my mac until I did a ram upgrade from 4gb -> 8gb dual channel. still takes more processor power than it should though.

Visual studio is the big one

Actual video drivers from Nvidia

That's it really

collecting your info, compromising your system's security, using system resources for nefarious purposes such as mining crypto currencies in the background or being part of a botnet

freecad
inkscape
different games

>Proper drivers
lol

driver support is often better on gnu than it is on windows in my experience. for example, support for the wii u pro controller is built in to the kernel and just works. on windows you need the toshiba bluetooth stack and a compatible dongle and/or to add your HID and use testing mode, which only works for 30 days

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

That sounds like an actual serious issue. Not actually sure what you mean by scanning your music library, I think I manually added folders to deadbeef when I used it. However, since using mpd+ncmpcpp, I can just hit a key to update my list of directories if I downloaded something new, and adding one to a playlist is instant.

The Toshiba thing is obsolete. And you know what that user meant you fucking nigger. Shit like popular gpus, wifi dongles, etc don't work half the time or require the user to jump into the cli

>And you know what that user meant you fucking nigger.
Nope. Please stop assuming.

>Shit like popular gpus, wifi dongles, etc don't work half the time or require the user to jump into the cli
Not true.

A driver is a driver, whether it's for a GPU or a controller. I've never gone out of my way to buy well-supported hardware, and I've never had hardware support issues on GNU/Linux. I definitely have on Windows, though. Generally onboard ethernet drivers after a fresh install, sometimes also audio or wifi. I've never ran into those problems on GNU/Linux.

>freecad
Not even close, m8. Archicad is a BIM, with CAD+3D+Render (with Cinema4D engine)+a lot of other stuff in it. Freecad now is not a good alternative even with fucking autocad, because it doesn't open some files/formats.

>inscape
Fair enough, it's pretty good. I use it every now and then. The problem is that it lacks the possibility to modify a multiple-pages pdf without having to save the modified page separately.

>different games
If I can, sure. But sometimes you would like to play those ones.

>Not even close, m8.
Ah, okay. I don't use any of those sorts of programs.

>If I can, sure. But sometimes you would like to play those ones.

Definitely, but just having something to pass the time is the important part. When I first stopped using Windows, Steam wasn't quite out on GNU/Linux yet. I got by playing Minecraft for the most part, but it was a blast and I don't regret anything. Nowadays I can play stuff like Rust and CS:GO. I'd play something like Fallout 3 or Skyrim if they got ported, but I don't care enough to use Wine or a VM to play them.

>Ethernet driver issues
At least post real issues user. We aren't using XP anymore Christ

10 even had my wireless drivers and gpu drivers auto install properly without me having to touch the pc

You can do that in linux too, depending on the GPU and repo. They of course can't ship the proprietary drivers with the system but you can set it up with the installer if you feel like it. Biggest problem is windows simply not having drivers for older devices cause nobody wrote them for new versions.

gaymes, office, mpchc

You posted them. If Linux had anything even half as good as MPC-HC with KCP I would use it full time, but it doesn't so I end up spending most of my time on Windows. Fuck me for wanting a high-quality, logical video player and not some GUI-less autismo shit that doesn't even look as good.

mpv and any of the numerous mpv frontends. Enjoy.

>mpv
Garbage for people with autism, doesn't look as good as MPC-HC.
>any of the numerous mpv frontends
All garbage as well, lol. I tried out baka-mplayer earlier and it literally closed itself every time I tried to input a command with a video playing.

>people with autism
>doesn't look as good
>Baka-mplayer
Okay did you try the legitimately MPC-HC clone based on libmpv?

easy68k made me switch to windows. It works for everyone else on wine, but me.

WS2016 hyper-v can do pcie passthrough

>Definitely, but just having something to pass the time is the important part.
That's true, I'm playing Hotline Miami on Ubuntu those days, after all. The point is that if I had more free time to play, everything else worked on Linux and I had an already payed Windows license I would probably leave a "for-games-partition" for when Wine would not work, be too slow or whatever. But that's probably because of that bullshit thing of starting wanting to do a thing just because in that moment I can't/shouldn't that I have.

smplayer, mplayer2 for video.

Audacious DESTROYS Foobar in terms of audio quality and plugins. Layout design isn't as customizable.

No, because I might as well use the real MPC-HC in a VM lmao. Video playback sucks dick on Linux, and meme player Sup Forums is unusable trash.

mpv
mpd+ncmpcpp

Wow you sure stuck it to those autists with your counter-autism and bullshit alright.

>Video playback sucks dick on Linux
Obviously you're wrong, but what I want to know is why on earth you think this.

user you should share those reaction pics

I did user, it's linked here .

>99.9% of Steam's catalog

Yes.

>Overwatch

Yes.

>Sonic: After the Sequel

This looks cool.

>Windows 10 Store (Halo 5 Forge and Halo 6)

I like Halo on console more.

>GameMaker Studio

True.

>Unreal Engine 4

This is on Linux.

>Adobe Photoshop

GIMP covers most of this with plugins and tweaking, but it still lacks some features.

>MS Paint

Pinta, kolourpaint, gnome paint, etc.

>foobar2000

I prefer Audacious.

>Notepad

Mousepad, Leafpad, Gedit, etc.

>Notepad++

Geany, though Notepad++ is still awesome. NotepadQQ is good from what I hear.

>Internet Explorer (My preferred method of downloading Firefox)

I think a lot of major distros come with Firefox installed out of the box.

Ultimately Overwatch and the Steam catalog are the ones I would definitely miss most. Maybe Photoshop.

Clip Studio Paint.

I just cannot get used to Krita, the way custom brush settings and presets are managed rub me the wrong way.

>Use Linux
>try to watch videos
>it fucking sucks and doesn't even work
>"GEE WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS OPINION FROM"
Sorry kid, but it's the truth. Linux is unusable for media playback.

It's more like 60% of the Steam catalog, though like 99% of the catalog is trash, still plenty of games native or wine-able.

>fucking sucks
>getting worse
>opinions
>better answer with more opinions and sperg rage

Wait, like actually doesn't play at all? Because then you clearly have a more major issue. You're making it sound like you've taken side-by-side recordings of media playback on each and noticed a slight difference. You not being able to use a computer doesn't really mean anything.

mpv filename/url

wow that was hard

>Debian user detected

Deadbeef

This and only this.
Wine and garbage passthrough are not an viable option.

>garbage passthrough
>literally the same GPU in the same operating system
I honestly don't know what your problem is but it's definitely in your head.

Also your personality. Probly your hygiene.

You're fucking retarded. Mvp solves your problem.

no other music player handles my 1TB music collections as fast as foobar, it also is the best music library.

Autocad
Revit
Archicad

Program that would do BIM.

Yep, most of the CAD stuff is pretty locked down by licenses anyway so you'll never be able to import those things anywhere else. Solidworks has a linux version, or something using their core lib.

Dunno what does BIM if anything.