E mail

want secure email
looking at

Tutanota
Protonmail
Kolab
Countermail

Should I consider something else?
Can't figure out if Kolab is even encrypted.
They don't say it outright on their site, so I guess not?

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptome.org/2015/11/protonmail-ddos.htm
github.com/ProtonMail
unseen.is/
cryto.net/~joepie91/blog/2014/04/19/why-you-should-stay-away-from-unseen.is/
digitaltrends.com/mobile/james-comey-encryption-war-far-from-over/
thenextweb.com/insider/2016/05/12/fbi-director-real-problem-whatsapps-encryption/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'd really suggest Tuta.

Tutanota and Protonmail are pretty good.

I prefer protonmail because last time I used it, Tuta did not have a search function.

Tuta is based in Germany. That is all you need to know about it.

As long as it uses end to end encryption, doesn't matter where it's located

Where the servers are located and where the emails are stored absolutely matters.

I've read that the main difference between Tutanota and ProtonMail is that Tutanota do not store your password.

Maybe, I don't know a ton about it, but why, if it's end to end encrypted, is that important?

I'd avoid ProtonMail because they have a deal with an Israeli telecom to route traffic through them for DDoS protection anytime they're under a DDoS attack. The telecom company is widely known as a Mossad operation

cryptome.org/2015/11/protonmail-ddos.htm

Now I know one of you nigtards will say b-b-but it's end-to-end encrypted senpai. My response to that is that we have no idea what the capabilities of a nation-state or an intelligence agency like the Mossad to decrypt the emails, what exploits and zero-days they're sitting on.

Avoid ProtonMail if you don't want the Jews reading your email.

You're here because of that Google diversity banner thread, aren't you.

Because they can and will be compelled to decrypt the emails stored on the servers, despite what they may say.

If you get ProtonMail Plus you can still enjoy some free ProtonVPN as well. Probably not for too long though.

I agree that end to end encryption doesn't matter but not for the retarded reason you gave.

It's a lot more simple, actually.
Proton mail doesn't have to do any of the things they say they do.
Who cares if your connection is encrypted to them? They can just give your emails away if they wanted.

They literally can't access your emails though.

>Proton mail doesn't have to do any of the things they say they do.
Does any company?
What are you saying?
Who would you go with?

Just pay for fastmail.

I want Sup Forums to leave.

So many steaks...

t. Schlomo

No, they SAY they cannot access your emails.
Unless you can verify it yourself their word is not worth trusting.
No. and that's precisely my point.
Self host your mail if you want any semblance of privacy. If your ISP blocks 25 and 587 then your next best step is a VPS.

>Unless you can verify it yourself
I literally have.

>Self host
Yeah, that's safe.
>VPS
Whoever you get a VPS from, they will have full root access to your server, lol. How is that better?

Proofs?

unless both the sender and the recipient knowingly sent/received email with some ciphertext this is not true.

I doubt even 10% of your emails are even PGP signed, let alone encrypted.

>Yeah, that's safe.
How is self hosting not safer than a third party?
>Whoever you get a VPS from, they will have full root access to your server, lol. How is that better
Because you can basically replicate what protonmail can do, except you can actually verify it's doing it, since you made it.

github.com/ProtonMail

Happy to pay, but why fastmail over tutanota or proton or kolab et al?

That's just the web client. How does that tell you anything about your mail except how it's presented to you?

>How is self hosting not safer than a third party?
How can you trust yourself to properly secure your server, read endless manuals on Postfix, Dovecot, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, mysql, configure everything properly,etc?

Or are you saying you trust that nice setup guide the NSA provided for you?

Literally don't use the Internet, OP.

It's all compromised. Give up.

:^)

If you are too retarded to setup a mail server properly than you should get the fuck out.

So you're telling me you've personally audited the code of Postfix, Dovecot, mysql, etc?

I don't use Postfix, or MySQL, and you don't need to on a self hosted email setup.

I have extensively looked at OpenSMTPD. Dovecot not so much.

You don't really need to go all the way down the rabbit hole though.

I definitely trust the OpenSMTPD and Dovecot developers over protonmail.

How about your distro? What about the kernel? Oh shit, the hardware is compromised anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Eat shit. You just got argumentum ad absurdumd.

hurr durr im retarded: The Post

Self hosting is logically more secure than protonmail. It's all about incremental change.

How much deeper you want to dive into the rabbit hole of paranoia is your deal.

unseen.is/

hosted in Iceland, though idk what that means in terms of security

Tutanota lacks features. I wouldn't use it. I'd only use it when price is the most important factor.

sorry lad, i have a bad news

cryto.net/~joepie91/blog/2014/04/19/why-you-should-stay-away-from-unseen.is/

>storage capacity 1GB
proton mail
>storage capacity 512MB
I send 1GB attachments hoe,not links but inside the mail,no splits!

>implying they don't have the keys
why be so naive?

They might, they might not. What's their advantage to keeping the keys if they advertise they don't? Apparently WhatsApp doesn't:

digitaltrends.com/mobile/james-comey-encryption-war-far-from-over/

thenextweb.com/insider/2016/05/12/fbi-director-real-problem-whatsapps-encryption/

I get that you have to err on the side of caution, but if they advertised end to end, of what benefit is it to them to lie and risk their reputation?

THEY HAVE THE KEYS, DON'T BE STUPID.

Why though? What advantage?

Host your own email server and use GPG

posteo.net

run your own