How long has your computer been running?

Let's see em.

30 days.

Other urls found in this thread:

devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1001276/opengl/excessive-amount-of-ram-used-by-glsl-programs/post/5117324/#5117324
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

94 days

>he doesnt shut down his computer when he goes to sleep

i turn it off every night because i'm scared that it might catch on fire

amd masterrace

$ uptime
13:00:31 up 33 min, 1 user, load average: 0,17, 0,30, 0,31

Here we go for the 2000th edition of dick size contest, let's see who is the biggest neet
Captcha is: ver Goebels

>>he doesnt shut down his computer when he goes to sleep
Most people dont, well, most people who care about their computers

% uptime
6:05 up 41 days, 18:06, 2 users, load averages: 2.08 2.25 2.28

28 days

what's up with the awkward scaling?

>17,194,235 Handles

He has larger fonts because he is blind and set it that way.

>a raspberry pi with high uptime
wow, how completely unimpressive.
don't tell mommy that you're wasting energy

What is a handle, and is mine ok

You mean the buttery smooth fonts?

The DPI of some of my monitors is insanely high. Scaling is sometime a necessity when using ridiculous resolutions.

ok

>being this much of a faggot
Based on 0.1kWh per day, his Pi has used 18.6kWh which probably cost $2 in total. And this is a high estimate according to the Pi forums.

>11 hours, 42 minutes.

What is more impressive is that his power has not gone out in 186 days. That's what usually gets my desktop; after a few months the power goes out for me for a few seconds.

>that 3rd worlder feel

yeah it's been running since 2013, uptime is since last power outage

I'm not blind, and my fonts are not large. They just look large on your shitty monitor.

>not using a UPS

I'm in Missouri, and it usually happens from my rural co-opertive which buys power from different areas and causes them to switch over from different suppliers. Usually they can switch in less than 1/60th of a cycle but not always. Or we have a major storm, high winds, tornado, the usuals.
>inb4 Missouri 3rd World State

Just woke up. No need to keep it running when I don't use it.

I don't really care enough for 99.999999...% uptime and can settle for 99%.

A Handle is a logical association with a shared resource like a file, Window, memory location, etc. When a thread opens a file, it establishes a "handle" to the file, and internally it acts like a "name" for that instance of the file. Handles are used to link to transitory or environmental resources outside the processes memory structure.

why would you leave it on and let it do nothing? is it just for the sake of comfyness?

i admit, rarely i forget to turn it off and it feels somehow good at morning seeing that it's on

>why would you leave it on and let it do nothing?

My workstation doubles as a server. It's never just "doing nothing".

i said nothing, if it's doing anything it doesn't apply to you, i want to hear why would anyone leave it on doing nothing

>making it a competition to see who can waste most electricity
childish

>using a theme other than the classic

don't do this.

shit man

just cleaned it and installed a kernel update so only few days.

>they fell for the 16 GiB of RAM meme

kkb@kkb-ThinkPad-T420:~ $ uptime
13:52:41 up 13 days, 3:29, 4 users, load average: 0,31, 0,38, 0,21
Most of the time I shut it down completely anyways, I just hibernate when there's a backlog of shit to read / videos to watch / uni work to be done.

four days

But why
Why don't you turn it off ?
Do you want to deplete it's life or die in fire at night ?

Meanwhile this guy is 32 GiB I spent like $70 on the two DDR3 sticks, and don't think it's especially fast RAM but still helps a great deal. Not having to close out Firefox or Chrome constantly before play vidyagames or being able to dedicate 2-3GiB to video encoding while I do other shit. Will even play games while x264 video encoding, usually flawlessly.

>most people who care about their computers
>implying turning PC's on/off will shorten their lifespan

when will this meme die?

but i care about my hardware. power outages are bad for hdds

>power outages are bad for hdds
is this the year 1985?

>using windows
don't do this.

Where I work all the PCs have 32 GB of RAM because they need to run MS Office and Eclipse and Chrome and the (((DELL))) Windows preinstall and the literal botnet update programs in the background.
I asked one of the admins to unlock the boot settings, wiped everything and put Ubuntu on it and now even when I multitask like hell I still barely get to use 6 GB. I should just write some scripts that do nothing but fill up RAM just so they didn't shell out thousands for my PC when it's not being used.

Mostly what I would be worried about is lightning, and some kind of protection is needed. I did have what I believe to be a lightly strike on my powerline, which corrupted some data relating to my Windows 7 OS. Causing me to have to do a complete reinstall but the drive still works 2 years later as my boot drive.

Currently during bad storms I unplug my computer and anything else I wish not to die.

Here, I found a 1337-er way of displaying it :^)

>Why don't you turn it off ?
Stream music and stuff on my phone while I'm away, at night I like to fall asleep watching a movie or whatever (TV as secondary monitor), and I didn't set it to go to sleep or other stuff.. Someties I also let it do stuff during night, like video rendering.

>when your case costs more than the actual parts of the computer

That's why you use suspend to RAM. It powers off everything except for the RAM. You should also already have a smoke detector in every room.

>my fonts are not large
Who would think those half pixel letters are huge?

Reminded me of this:
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1001276/opengl/excessive-amount-of-ram-used-by-glsl-programs/post/5117324/#5117324

I've actually been running into trouble with 32gb recently due to some of my meme projects.

>resolution = quality
ebin
i bet you also think a 20MP camera is better than a 16MP one

2d 8h 17m because I recently compiled 4.10.6 kernel

>believes humans can see more than 640x480

Get a UPS if it's so frequent. And why the hell is it going out so frequently?? The last time I experienced a power outage was like 4 years ago when we had a big ass storm tearing everything up

>He doesn't just put it to sleep

Wake up
Tap keyboard
Type password in
Simple

Are you retarded?
Do you not know what a cache is?

If your machine loses power and some data is still sitting in cache and haven't been flushed to underlying storage device yet, then it's lost.
Fucking learn a thing or two about computers before even thinking about using them you braindead moron.

I shut mine off. No reason to waste electricity. It only takes a few seconds to boot to desktop

Seems to be BS anyways. It shows 11 hours on my PC right now and I've turned it off yesterday.

>few seconds
Jesus fucking christ, what bloated fucking OS are you running?

You're not even trying are you.

What if I have no important data in the cache? That doesn't sound directly harmful to the hdd.

Restarted for updates a few days ago

You don't know what's in the caches.
Anything could be in there, and everything does pass through there at some point.

password? fuck off. i live alone on neetbux and illuminari can wirelesslt lift data throigh backdoor chips from a van across the steeet anyway so why the placebo?

To stop family members from using my PC.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my statement. You or the other guy said "bad for the HDD", not bad for the data being written.

>all these unpatched Windows systems because faggots don't restart
Enjoy your 0days and viruses

Will do

Looks like you're quite fond of Win10 now. Heh, how minds change.

>having to type all dat shite