Would it be possible to kill or seriously harm someone who lived in a 'smart' home by compromising most or all of its...

Would it be possible to kill or seriously harm someone who lived in a 'smart' home by compromising most or all of its IoT/connected devices?

I started thinking about this after reading for the nth time how buggy or poorly secured some of these things can be. So far the only scenario I can imagine where this might happen is if the victim in question is very frail or disabled.

>compromise thermostat
>turn that shit to -45 Celsius
>profit?

>Someone is messing with my thermostat
>Smart watch tells me that I'm losing body heat
>Turn the bezel and set my home temperature back to a comfy temp

I am unkillable

Activate self destruct

The biggest risk pose devices that can catch fire like stoves, heaters, microwaves. I will always pick dumb versions of these over smart ones.

>be me
>living in a smart home
>want to make a meal
>someone hacked my fridge with ransomware
>all the ingredients are encrypted
>die of hunger

This is why these things should be open source.
>mfw the botnet wants me to starve

>wait until night when they're sleeping
>lock the doors and close all windows
>disable CO2 and smoke alarms
>start a fire by fucking around with the oven/toaster/etc.

Probably won't work since these "smart" homes have manual overrides with the doors, right? You can't just lock someone in their own house. At least I hope not.

Of course good goy. Hehehee, manual override. Did you come up with that on your own? Brilliant goy, just brilliant!

I just got a (((smart))) television, since apparently they don't make televisions any other way anymore, and no way in hell am I connecting it to the internet.

Didn't Nest have a faulty update that caused houses to freeze?

>manual overrides

>implying loose bricks won't be deemed weapons and banned in 2020

I'd be more concerned with a smart fridge being compromised and all my food spoiling.

Fuck IoT devices that don't need to be "smart." I'm really worried about malware, specifically ransomware, infecting a soft IoT device and infecting other devices on my network. For instance it's a pain in the ass to change the default credentials on some devices such as Smart TVs. Additionally if a smartphone is infected outside my home network and makes it's way in, then what?

What a time to be alive

>and no way in hell am I connecting it to the internet.

Well, you're going to be given a grace period of 2 or 3 years on that.

But eventually, your television will need to be connected to the internet so that it can continue to work correctly.

But don't worry -- the internet connection will be used just to ensure safe and secure operation of your television.

You want all your electronics to be safe and secure, don't you?

this thread
fucking kek

>day 1 updates on tv
>pay $x for a higher resolution
>we detected licensed content, please upgrade your plan
>ads directly on the tv that overlap whatever you're playing
>ads when no input is detected "to protect from burn in"
>we detected a surround sound setup, please upgrade to enable the option
>xda will open a tv rooting fourm that will cause controversy

this is the future and there's nothing we can do to stop it

Why physical harm? You could do way worse things in that scenario.
Consider for example Stasi "Zersetzung"-style gaslighting where you subtly shift little things in the home.

>Apple TV OS becomes outdated
>TV resolution drops until you pay for the newer OS

>hack your smartwatch
>tell it you are a toasty 300 degress F
>you go to hospital
>get expensive bill
>bankrupt

America.

>no way in hell am I connecting it to the internet
what makes you think you have a choice?

your other smart devices have already communicated with it, without your knowledge, and are sharing information with each other
there's more networks than tcp/ip

I'm fully expecting pacemakers to come with iOS apps within 10 years.

Slowly lower the temperature on the water heater over time so they get used to setting the shower to use more and more hot water, then suddenly increase it to the maximum.

It says something that when I think about it I'm surprised they don't have that yet.

Most do have some form of cellular data sending, and many people have tried to unsuccessfully get a mobile heartspot

Pretty sure there was a detective conan episode like this.

It cycled from max to low temperature to kill a man in his sleep. Very possible without going to crazy lows like -45 C

There's a firmware update but I dont think it's necessary at all.
I connected it to wifi once but it was useless. My Samsung SMART TV hasa remote with a full keyboard that takes 4 AAAs, and the keyboard doesnt even work for text input in 90% of programs. It doesnt even work in youtube.
There was nothing worthwhile other than the novelty of having RT on the TV. Would be neat if Infowars got a Smart App.