Netflix quality

Why is it that Netflix only allows Edge and IE to get the best possible stream quality (pic related)?
Also what quality do you get when using the apps?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc.html
windowsclan.com/best-netflix-experience-windows-10-app-edge-browser/
aomedia.org/about-us/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

probably because microsoft is paying netflix a shitload of money.
pcworld.com/article/3095259/browsers/confirmed-only-microsoft-edge-will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc.html

To get the legit best quality you have to use the Netflix app from Windows store. Xbox one and Netflix app have the best quality.

>there are people who still pay for media

Is there really a difference between the Windows app and Edge quality-wise?

>being this poor

windowsclan.com/best-netflix-experience-windows-10-app-edge-browser/

looks like you're right, the app seems to offer better sound quality than Edge

>paying for an extremely limited media catalogue makes me poor

Edge allows for CPU-level DRM with Intel processors, which can prevent people from recording the output of Netflix streams.

I personally think there is literally nothing wrong with this.

>I wont just use youtube-dl
if this doesn't work, I won't use Netflix (not that I still do)

That's fine, you are not the intended audience.

The DRM dreck probably doesn't function in other browsers and Netflix is probably worried their crap is going to get pirated (which happens anyway).

The joys of DRM 101 basically. Pay and get assraped, meanwhile the fuckers who torrent for free get better service.

Pirated videos don't have this problem.

OP here. Didn't know that, thanks! I guess that is why the video is blacked out when I took the screenshot.

>Intel, Netflix and Microsoft working together to make sure nobody will use their products

What a great, big happy family.

Then again, at least they're doing this: aomedia.org/about-us/

5.1 audio

Because it requires DRM that only IE and Edge have implemented. Safari actually has it implemented as well.

There's no technical reason why Chrome and Firefox couldn't implement it as well.

That's really cool. I see nothing but good things coming from this, especially since Mozilla is involved. Netflix and Mozilla just worked together to make the newer versions of Firefox compatible with the HTML5 player and DRM. Even my old IBM ThinkCentre, with a Pentium 4 and 512mb of ram, w/ max 256MB of video memory piped to the integrated AGP chip has no issue decoding the DRM and playing low-quality video with a decent framerate.

The windows app is the same as edge and IE and gives better quality.

Firefox and chrome are at fault here last I heard.

Jesus fuck those low ass audio bitrates